Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

It's certainly a confusing choice in a game where you can't trade therefore why the hell would a player ever need that kind of info of other players?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Mailer posted:

I love that describing D4 to someone not familiar with its addiction to unforced errors is so confusing. :allears:

I assume in this case "endgame" means "post-campaign", which is significantly different than the campaignless D3 setup where I guess you'd define it by when you've locked in your speedrun setup. There's quite a few oddities, like crafting when leveling which is normally the worst time to invest in weapons, but this is all on the outside looking in at this point. I'm not quite sure how the level spread fans out and if you're endgame at 100 (or 20, or 50, or whatever) but that's probably just going to be answered by playing.
You can access the endgame zone with its mechanics much earlier than the end of the campaign, although raw level wise doing it after the campaign is about right. But if your build is good enough you can bail on the campaign really, really early.

Crafting works by breaking down items into affix bits, or finding them lying around, and then you smash them into items to enhance or add affixes. Individual items have only so much crafting capacity before you can't do it anymore, and you'll probably end up with a lot of the basic stuff, so fiddling with your gear as you go is something you'll probably want to do fiddle with gear to make it better. You'll only need to save the really good stuff, and most of that doesn't really start dropping until high levels anyway.

There's obviously more to crafting than I'm explaining but I'm not writing a tutorial here just an explanation of the basic concept.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

WarEternal posted:

D4 has no loot filter and yet the loot system is designed in such a way that navigating it without one is a nightmare. Not having one in D3 does not feel remotely as bad. You literally have to sift through every loving thing you pick up in D4, it's dumb as poo poo. The design of D4 was not thought out.

You can’t even leave undesirable legendaries on the ground because they show up in your stash automatically lol

Tonetta posted:

they now do this thing where they now mulch all the gear tiered lower than your highest tier drop possible into gold

This is implemented haphazardly/incompletely. Vaults will happily show you blue and sacred gear when you’re up to ancestral.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Feb 17, 2024

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Clarste posted:

And graphical improvements and 60 pages of other patch notes, whatever those are.

It's the cool thing to do now. Brag about the number of pages in your patch notes

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Clarste posted:

Even if that's true, it's weird that they'd say it out loud.

I like to think he did that on purpose just to spotlight how loving dumb it is to the internal team who decided to do it that way.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

iirc the reasoning has to do with eliminating asset load times when players change their equipment. A lot of the gnarly engine stuff in Diablo 4 probably has to do with the fact the game has to run on base PS4s with full cross play

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

MrMidnight posted:

I like to think he did that on purpose just to spotlight how loving dumb it is to the internal team who decided to do it that way.

Making games is hard and these kinds of systems were designed that way for a reason. Circumstances might have changed since it was originally designed, or it could be something that was put together fairly quickly to address an issue. We don't really know. But there was likely a very good reason for doing it that way.

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012
Much of game design about making trade-offs.

The D4 devs decided that it was important that there be no interruption if you see another player change their equipment, a thing that is going to occur very rarely, sometimes not at all for some players.

The trade-off is incredibly limited inventory space, a thing that is going to affect every single player who gets to endgame.

This is laughable.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Does the same system apply to bought cosmetics?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Noper Q posted:

Much of game design about making trade-offs.

The D4 devs decided that it was important that there be no interruption if you see another player change their equipment, a thing that is going to occur very rarely, sometimes not at all for some players.

The trade-off is incredibly limited inventory space, a thing that is going to affect every single player who gets to endgame.

This is laughable.

I figure it has to be something like “if we don’t do this PS4/XB1 players get a multi-second lag spike when it does happen”

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012

Tiny Timbs posted:

I figure it has to be something like “if we don’t do this PS4/XB1 players get a multi-second lag spike when it does happen”

And there are a ton of possible workarounds for that that don't involve shooting their endgame in the foot.

It's entirely possible and even likely that the devs knew this was going to be an issue, but a business/management person decided it wasn't a priority. I know game dev is hard work; I've worked in the industry (and there's a reason I'm not in it anymore).

But regardless of who made the decision, it's an absurd decision and deserves to be mocked.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Yeah I dunno. There’s obviously a lot of quick and easy decisions they made regardless of the long term consequences.

PoE has its own performance issues with cosmetics though that game loads everything up-front.

mrbass21
Feb 1, 2009

Noper Q posted:

It's entirely possible and even likely that the devs knew this was going to be an issue, but a business/management person decided it wasn't a priority.

After 15+ years as a professional (non-game) developer, I absolutely believe this is the case.

I can’t count the number of times product handed down a feature to us to implement and all the developers would say “this is a terrible idea”, demand meetings with product to change their minds only to be told “we are doing it this way. It needs to be done by the end of the week. We already promised it. We can revisit it later”.

This is the kiss of death. I don’t think I’ve ever been given the green light to fix that technical debt we would revisit later.

I can almost guarantee you the developers knew it was a terrible idea and voiced as much

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

mrbass21 posted:

I can almost guarantee you the developers knew it was a terrible idea and voiced as much

Hence my conspiracy theory

Dukberry
Nov 5, 2013

Personally, I don't find it important to acknowledge the organizational structure of Blizzard, GGG, EHG or any other game dev prior to offering criticism. For example if the turn-off-chat function in last epoch isn't working properly on 1.0 launch, I will insult the devs for this reality and it actually won't matter to me what the internal debate at EHG looked like. We all have jobs, no one needs to be told 'well ACTUALLY the devs are innocent, what you want is evil product manager in charge of horse dicks'

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Tiny Timbs posted:

I really don't buy any sort of "compromise" for needing to support ye olde consoles. MMOs and plenty of other multiplayer games have had this solved since their inception, there is no reason they needed to implement inventories however they chose to implement them. And a company with the talent/experience on hand and the cash-money to bring in any talent they want has no excuse for this.

Noper Q posted:

But regardless of who made the decision, it's an absurd decision and deserves to be mocked.

:yeah:

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
Here is my bold prediction: The game is going to be unplayable online because the servers are going to get crushed. By some point on the 22nd it will be stable enough to play.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Clarste posted:

And graphical improvements and 60 pages of other patch notes, whatever those are.

Yeah, looking at those blogs it looks like a non-trivial amount of stuff is coming. That along with me not vibing with the game makes me want to wait until the 1.0 drop to try again at least.

Also, while what I played of D4 was decent enough, it also felt like there was a desperation to be liked: "Hey kids! You did not like how D3 was campy? We are going back to being grimdark now! And we have skill trees back too! Please come back, PLEASE!".

Is the D4 thread still full of people playing that hate the game, hate everyone else in the thread, and themselves? :v:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Benson Cunningham posted:

Here is my bold prediction: The game is going to be unplayable online because the servers are going to get crushed. By some point on the 22nd it will be stable enough to play.

This seems extremely likely. Even if they’ve figured out their online issues since beta, they certainly haven’t tested anything.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Dukberry posted:

Personally, I don't find it important to acknowledge the organizational structure of Blizzard, GGG, EHG or any other game dev prior to offering criticism. For example if the turn-off-chat function in last epoch isn't working properly on 1.0 launch, I will insult the devs for this reality and it actually won't matter to me what the internal debate at EHG looked like. We all have jobs, no one needs to be told 'well ACTUALLY the devs are innocent, what you want is evil product manager in charge of horse dicks'

Oh, for sure. I don't think anyone here is trying to absolve them of blame. But it is worth discussing the reason why these glaring issues exist, because "they're all a bunch of blithering idiots who don't understand basic cause and effect" is unlikely the case.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

What do you guys do with exalted items that are useless to you and you don't want to blow a Shatter Rune on it? Just sell it?

I'm still finding a lot of gear that technically is what I'm asking for according to my loot filter, but don't need at all.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

BigRed0427 posted:

What do you guys do with exalted items that are useless to you and you don't want to blow a Shatter Rune on it? Just sell it?

Save some for legendary crafting

Hauki
May 11, 2010

BigRed0427 posted:

I'm still finding a lot of gear that technically is what I'm asking for according to my loot filter, but don't need at all.

Nothing’s worth vendoring. If you’re not going to use it, shard it or shove it into a Sanctum craft just don’t pick it up. You can also just make your filter more restrictive, but I know some people want to see every purple.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

BigRed0427 posted:

I buy additional stash tabs.

Sweetgrass
Jan 13, 2008
stash tabs are really cheap, just grab more if you need a new page and keep socking things away; if you're really strict about it you can limit it to saving only tier 7 exalteds but space is never a big issue in my experience

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

BigRed0427 posted:

just leave it on the ground if you don't intend on using it. if it looks like it has potential for your build but is just on a bad base, pick it up & craft with it to try to shove as many desired mods to sacrifice to a legendary piece. vendoring stuff is a waste of time, and if you finding stuff you don't actually like is often the case, it's time to revisit the loot filter and tune it up.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

is it worth starting the game now if i don't particularly care about playing online? like will existing characters get access to things like the item factions or w/e

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

An Actual Princess posted:

is it worth starting the game now if i don't particularly care about playing online? like will existing characters get access to things like the item factions or w/e

It's probably fine, but we don't know what we don't know. Apparently there's going to be 60 pages of patch notes so expect some balance changes, and there's going to be graphical enhancements that may give you a different first impression. And of course if you want to play one of the new mastery subclasses (Warlock or Falconer), you'll have to pause your playthrough when that choice comes up.

Personally I'm waiting, but YMMV.

nerox
May 20, 2001
I was trying to wait until Wednesday to play, but I ended up playing through the campaign this weekend. I really like the crafting system in this and it was nice to use it as I was leveling up.

I also really like the implementation of the loot filter, however, I am really going to need them to add sound effects to it so I can hear drops like PoE.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Sweetgrass posted:

stash tabs are really cheap, just grab more if you need a new page and keep socking things away; if you're really strict about it you can limit it to saving only tier 7 exalteds but space is never a big issue in my experience

Yeah but that's a trap because more room for hoarding stuff just means that you will either have to eventually sort through it all (and the job will be worse the more you've picked up in the meantime) or just keep buying tabs at what looks like an ever-increasing cost until the devs personally thank you in a post for being the biggest gold sink in the economy. Every character I have played to endgame has like two or three tabs full of exalts I will never use and never get the runes to shatter, and will never be worth the clicks to vendor, and the deeper I get into endgame the worse it will get, and (even with the tab search and renaming) that just makes it harder to find things I actually will use.

Tonetta is right and I've learned this lesson hard - ruthlessly tuning the filter is the best loot QoL you can get. It is entirely possible to create filter rules for "good crafting project", "will shatter for lots of shards" and even, to a certain extent, "will be good for an alt or potential alt" (if you have a sense of what that alt might want or an item drops with some generically good affixes), and then tune them as your standards rise through leveling and the endgame. If you have a "just because it's THAT RARE" rule it should have a higher bar than you think.

An Actual Princess posted:

like will existing characters get access to things like the item factions or w/e

What I recall hearing is that for launch and the first couple of cycles, existing legacy characters will get access to the new features right away (ie, everything will "go core") so if you don't care about the reset/new economy smell or aren't playing one of the new classes that will only be available after Wednesday then there's no reason not to start now.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Feb 18, 2024

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Except for all the graphical and balance changes that will also come with 1.0.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Anyone else feeling this way the last week just waiting for Wednesday? Looking at all my Steam games feeling disinterested. Loaded up Chronicon again, got to like level 15 and was confused why I liked this game before.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Is there any point in playing this before the 21st?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Ok just make “don’t play before it releases” the thread title or something this is getting silly

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

fknlo posted:

Is there any point in playing this before the 21st?

If you play it before the 21st, you'll be put on a list.

If you've never played before, it's a good time to just try it out and see how everything works without having to feel too invested in a character.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Also, the servers are almost certainly going to be hosed for a few days after 1.0 comes out.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Thank god for the offline mode, but yeah the online play will be turbo hosed.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

I said come in! posted:

Thank god for the offline mode, but yeah the online play will be turbo hosed.

Of all the ARPGs I've played though, Last Epoch is the one I feel least strongly about needing to be online for. That is assuming the SSF faction exists in offline mode.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Sab669 posted:

Anyone else feeling this way the last week just waiting for Wednesday? Looking at all my Steam games feeling disinterested. Loaded up Chronicon again, got to like level 15 and was confused why I liked this game before.

I’m excited! I haven’t played since much earlier in EA, and enjoyed the game for what it was. Looking forward to trying out the new classes and actually playing into the endgame.

Probably going to play this as my “alongside other stuff” game until the summer when PoE2 beta finally launches (or gets inevitably delayed)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Tiny Timbs posted:

Ok just make “don’t play before it releases” the thread title or something this is getting silly