Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I've been playing a bit of DRG Survivor during the downtime and apparently that game is blowing up too. I saw that it has had higher concurrent players than DRG ever did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

CainFortea posted:

Specifically it holds 10 rounds. Each magazine you reload with holds 5.

If at all possible, never empty the gun. You want to reload as soon as you drop down to 5 rounds, if you can. But if you need a few more, go ahead and pop off 4 more. Then get some distance and reload.

The reason why is because the reload animation is a lot longer if you load both mags than one.

This is not true. You can reload at 5/10, 4/10, 3/10, 2/10, 1/10, and 0/10 remaining.

:cheerdoge: thanks!

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Internet Explorer posted:

I've been playing a bit of DRG Survivor during the downtime and apparently that game is blowing up too. I saw that it has had higher concurrent players than DRG ever did.

Been playing that too! It's a really good time killer game with a good amount of depth to it.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Just ran a 2 man Suicide mission, nabbed the supersamples, and nuked the bugs. Incredibly tactical all the way even just with autochat battlebarks, and on the razor's edge of how difficult I can deal with. Just so satisfying to pull that poo poo off.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

They haven't been pushing that at all, lol.

i'm sure the devs are using their no doubt copious amounts of free time right now to push weird narratives on reddit

Internet Explorer posted:

drg is not exactly a sleeper great game, but it's an absolute gem in the genre and it's kind of wild to me it was never significantly more popular,. it does so, so much right

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Feb 18, 2024

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

toasterwarrior posted:

NGL, my opinion on this game is souring because of all this "oh we're doing so well, have an extra XP weekend, we're blowing past all these AAA devs" narrative when server stability has been a rollercoaster since launch and is now going straight into hell because of the weekend thing. Also, it's frankly absurd that we're getting peak players at 300k (and I even have crossplay on) and I'm still having to play some runs as solo because matchmaking has been broken this entire fuckin time

There's no "narrative" you goofball. It's okay to be frustrated that issues are preventing you from having fun with the game. You don't need to make up extra bullshit to be upset about. Joining friends also works even when matchmaking doesn't, so get on one of the discords or the steam group and start collecting friend codes.

Fresh Shesh Besh fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Feb 18, 2024

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

CainFortea posted:

This is not true. You can reload at 5/10, 4/10, 3/10, 2/10, 1/10, and 0/10 remaining.
Their point is you only go up to exactly fully reloaded at either 5/10 or 0/10, if you reload at say 3/10 you'll be at 8/10 and unable to reload further until you go down to <=5.
I don't think this matters much at all though.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Draven posted:

I don't know but it's certainly frustrating when you've been trying to get in for an hour and your friend gets in on first login :smith:

If you have a friend in game try having them invite you through steam, or PSN I guess.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

LazyMaybe posted:

Their point is you only go up to exactly fully reloaded at either 5/10 or 0/10, if you reload at say 3/10 you'll be at 8/10 and unable to reload further until you go down to <=5.
I don't think this matters much at all though.

Ah, I misread that. I thought they were saying those were the only points you can reload at.

And yea, if i'm at like 1 above half way i'll just shoot the sky and reload.

Grimnarsson
Sep 4, 2018

Draven posted:

I don't know but it's certainly frustrating when you've been trying to get in for an hour and your friend gets in on first login :smith:

Well, I'm sure the employees are working on it and going to give all of us a chance to do some Liberation! They didn't anticipate that neo-conservatism was this popular!

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

toasterwarrior posted:

NGL, my opinion on this game is souring because of all this "oh we're doing so well, have an extra XP weekend, we're blowing past all these AAA devs" narrative when server stability has been a rollercoaster since launch and is now going straight into hell because of the weekend thing. Also, it's frankly absurd that we're getting peak players at 300k (and I even have crossplay on) and I'm still having to play some runs as solo because matchmaking has been broken this entire fuckin time

The XP boost wasn't meant as a celebration free XP weekend - it is a band-aid on some other issue that meant rewards were being calculated incorrectly. That's why there's a joke in-game about it being an adjustment for an 'accounting error'. I don't think the XP boost is why server stability has gone straight to hell - its because the game has exploded in popularity over the past week, for reasons that have nothing to do with bonus XP. Nobody is going to buy a new game because they heard there was bonus XP to be had. It's just the weekend.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Typical Pubbie posted:

Unlocked the DMR Counter-Sniper and it's worse than the old DMR in every way. The old DMR is pretty bad, too. A lot of weapons in this game suck on anything higher than medium difficulty. The incessant ragdolling sucks too. A significant number of things about this game actually suck pretty hard.

toasterwarrior posted:

where's a democracy officer when we need one

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/MHPTWSc.mp4

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Orv posted:

To be fair, the devs aren’t really pushing any of that narrative, they’re just trying to fix the game.

All I've seen from them is basically "this is very flattering and we are making GBS threads our pants because of it".

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

no loving way

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
thats why you use the impact grenades ( i am terrible at tossing impact grenades into the top holes of automaton factories)

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
tbf volleyball is the official sport of the bug homeworld

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

where's a democracy officer when we need one

they're stuck trying to log in

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

This is like that scene in Jurassic Park where the velociraptor opens the door

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Lmao. Impact is a pro buy this happened to me constantly.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Yeah I'm actually really impressed with their comms on this. It's by far the most grown-up messaging I've seen around this kind of problem.

It's nice to see them saying things to the effect of 'we're trying our best against a notoriously hard-to-fix issue, the scale of which is constantly ballooning, but also we might not be able to fix it, which we know sucks, and we're not necessarily going to make our entire team work around the clock' because they are people who need rest'.

Obviously, it's annoying to not have been able to play this weekend, but I appreciate a tone that feels a bit more grown-up and rooted in reality than the sycophantic 'we respect you, the Gamers, more than we do ourselves, and we live to serve you, the customer' you get from a lot of (American) developers.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

The Grumbles posted:

Yeah I'm actually really impressed with their comms on this. It's by far the most grown-up messaging I've seen around this kind of problem.

It's nice to see them saying things to the effect of 'we're trying our best against a notoriously hard-to-fix issue, the scale of which is constantly ballooning, but also we might not be able to fix it, which we know sucks, and we're not necessarily going to make our entire team work around the clock' because they are people who need rest'.

Obviously, it's annoying to not have been able to play this weekend, but I appreciate a tone that feels a bit more grown-up and rooted in reality than the sycophantic 'we respect you, the Gamers, more than we do ourselves, and we live to serve you, the customer' you get from a lot of (American) developers.

Oh absolutely, after launch the statement of "holy poo poo too many of you bought this and that is awesome and things are on fire but we REALLY need sleep" was a welcome change of pace from the usual copy/paste you get from devs.

Retro42 fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Feb 18, 2024

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You can really feel that this is a medium sized business doing their level best when they get a million orders day one for a thing they thought had limited appeal.

E: it also seems like pre-orders weren't massive and everyone bought the game immediately after launch because so many people (like me) heard player feedback saying it owns or saw a stream/clip of the game in action.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
This is going to be the first game that I lose the ability to refund before I get in 1 lobby.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Yeah, I appreciate Arrowhead. Good honesty, good humor, good game.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Rolo posted:

This is going to be the first game that I lose the ability to refund before I get in 1 lobby.

Even hinting at refunding is a 10 second countdown before you're branded as a traitor and immediately exploded.

Schnitzler
Jul 28, 2006
Toilet Rascal
Watching a stream of the game since I am jonesing for more LIBERTY and good lord the big orbital barrage (308 or something) looks fantastic. I am certain I will blow up 2-3 teammates and myself every time I use it but that might be a worthwhile sacrifice.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

The Grumbles posted:

The XP boost wasn't meant as a celebration free XP weekend - it is a band-aid on some other issue that meant rewards were being calculated incorrectly. That's why there's a joke in-game about it being an adjustment for an 'accounting error'. I don't think the XP boost is why server stability has gone straight to hell - its because the game has exploded in popularity over the past week, for reasons that have nothing to do with bonus XP. Nobody is going to buy a new game because they heard there was bonus XP to be had. It's just the weekend.
Yeah the XP and req bonus was supposed to be to make up for the first few days where the game would straight up eat your rewards sometimes (it only ever ate my XP and req, I was personally lucky enough to never lose medals or samples). "We're doing this to celebrate how awesome we are" is something completely made up lol.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Schnitzler posted:

Watching a stream of the game since I am jonesing for more LIBERTY and good lord the big orbital barrage (308 or something) looks fantastic. I am certain I will blow up 2-3 teammates and myself every time I use it but that might be a worthwhile sacrifice.

The pro Strat on harder modes when you are completely overwhelmed at extraction with a huge haul of materials is to get the team on the point then bomb yourself to kingdom come with orbitals, killing your enemies, and drop the goods right there for the next frosty boy to pick up and carry to safety.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I just noticed that the Democracy Officer is different on each ship. My dude has an eyepatch.

what1??.. I got a boring looking lady. I guess I was unlucky

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
Holy poo poo my luck is terrible, I finally got in and as soon as I touched the map it CTD. :negative:

I give up. I'll give it a few days.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Even hinting at refunding is a 10 second countdown before you're branded as a traitor and immediately exploded.

I’ve been trying to get in every couple hours since I bought it and haven’t been in once, it’s a bummer.

Will you guys log out

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

My democracy officer is a cool black guy. I didn't realise they were all different lol.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Insert name here posted:

Yeah the XP and req bonus was supposed to be to make up for the first few days where the game would straight up eat your rewards sometimes (it only ever ate my XP and req, I was personally lucky enough to never lose medals or samples). "We're doing this to celebrate how awesome we are" is something completely made up lol.
also even though poo poo's on fire right now, if you fail to get rewards post-game, eventually it rewards you later on down the line the xp/req/medals.

super earth's having a bit of a credit crunch, they are post dating their checks.
I think it's Mentes? where I had a similar feeling hearing bug clicking and squealing through dense foliage, fog and rain. Just a lot of subtle panic as I'm scanning the bushes before a gout of acid sprays from the underbrush, crippling my legs.

Grimnarsson
Sep 4, 2018
Yeah, I feel this game deserves support and understanding for the troubles they and the players are having. It's frustrating not to be able to Liberate, but it's a sign that Democracy is alive and well.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The bonus is insane. If you manage to do three missions you get 7 missions of xp and req. Last night we played six games and didn't know what to do with all the req.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I knew I should have tried to play a ton this week before the servers got bad. On the plus side I noticed that the devs fixed the trainer/cheating issue. The only real trainer that worked for Helldivers 2, threw in the towel right away with the latest update because the devs directly targeted their trainer.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

-1 is back let's gooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

LazyMaybe posted: