Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

American values are the complete lack of them. Or a lack of anything that helps the common person or community anyway. loving lol at anyone that crows about American values, or the values of any western neoliberal nation.

Like why even bother giving lip service to America for that poo poo? No one needs credit for the governance style of 'throw your arms up in the air and let everyone do what they want, maybe use some force to keep the money flowing'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

hopefully ukraine can hang in there until the planned 2025 counteroffensive

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

The Ukrainian Counteroffensive expanded universe.

dk2m
May 6, 2009

it was the tankies warning everyone that America would eventually gently caress ukraine over lmao, they still someway find a way to blame Russia

what will these people do once they realize that most of our aid and weapons came in the form of debt that Ukraine has no way to pay back?

really is wild how much of our propaganda is just taken at face value

samogonka
Nov 5, 2016

Wow, I never thought the US would abandon its ally!

I've been asleep for the last 50 years btw

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Im really struggling to see how they can amass another "mountain of steel" for ukraine to use for another ill fated summer offensive. A lot of the equipment that was being shipped for ukraine to use was already mothballed and didnt work right, they were scrapping the bottom of the barrel already. What can they expect to get now?

I think the expectation is that the NATO countries completely empty out the vehicle bays and armories of all the stuff they have left for their own national defence and send every last item to Ukraine. Presumably their own militaries just sit around on the parade ground in their underwear afterwards to see out their contracts.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/NonCRDDefence/status/1757569984312627655?t=QkiULn_TMZGbcxM2Czr21Q&s=19

Ukraine has made so many people historically insane.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

samogonka posted:

i had someone tell me that the russian invasion of ukraine was an act of unprovoked aggression the likes of which the world hasn't seen since ww2 once and i'm pretty sure i got visibly angry

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Regarde Aduck posted:

American values are the complete lack of them. Or a lack of anything that helps the common person or community anyway. loving lol at anyone that crows about American values, or the values of any western neoliberal nation.

Like why even bother giving lip service to America for that poo poo? No one needs credit for the governance style of 'throw your arms up in the air and let everyone do what they want, maybe use some force to keep the money flowing'.

American values are corporate accounting.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

the most likely outcome if the US and the UK tried to force through a war of choice against a soviet union that everyone agreed had borne the brunt of the fighting in the most intense war in human history would have been mass mutnies and possibly actual revolutions in much of europe.

they might have been able to dragoon the remnants of the wehrmacht into it but they wouldn't have had supply lines. even if attlee and de gaulle had somehow consented to such a scheme, at the very least the french people and probably the british absolutely would not. large anglo forces would have to be deployed to put down civil unrest in the freshly liberated territories. it would've been an unmitigated disaster in addition to claiming millions more lives. even if it were feasible in pure military terms it very obviously was not feasible politically.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

samogonka posted:

All of Ukraine and NAFO have just come out of hypersleep in the last two years. Many such cases.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

about a year ago i read a paper which was someone from the defence research institute doing, basically, p-hacking to reconciled "by most measures the US is a terrible ally" and "several governments base their entire security policy around their alliance with the US". the premise was that the latter being true must mean that the former is wrong, so the paper ended up being a reformulation of the indicators on what makes a good ally

i seriously considered writing a letter to the editor of the journal where it was posted alleging serious academic misconduct, but that would've meant spending a lot of energy on familiarising myself with a new jargon and subject matter and also being an rear end in a top hat. reading that thing was a real eye-opener to me though

e.
https://www.ffi.no/publikasjoner/arkiv/measuring-alliance-reliability-current-practices-and-future-research

V. Illych L. has issued a correction as of 00:52 on Feb 18, 2024

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
It's always tough to tell what Russia is up to because most of the news we get about what is going on comes straight from the Ukrainian state and military people and the Ukrainians have a pronounced tendency to massively overstate the numbers of Russians involved in the fighting at any particular location (for example Syrsky claiming that the Russians had assembled 150,000 soldiers around Kupiansk last fall), which then carries over to claims of "meat assaults" and thousands of casualties which we have never seen or heard tell of any evidence of. What we also saw is that Russia shut up about what was going on around Avdiivka last fall and gave no updates on the combat that was going on there, grouping the reporting with a much larger geographic area.

So good luck trying to sift through the tea leaves and trying to interpret anything that's actually going on.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

V. Illych L. posted:

i had someone tell me that the russian invasion of ukraine was an act of unprovoked aggression the likes of which the world hasn't seen since ww2 once and i'm pretty sure i got visibly angry

hah. same. I don't think I'm a good communicator on this topic

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

V. Illych L. posted:

dk2m
May 6, 2009

V. Illych L. posted:

ive stopped even trying to explain anything to my lib friends prior to Feb 2022 on what happened in Donbass, let alone anything at all post 1991, because the last nearly decade of relentless anti-Russian propaganda has turned history itself into Russian disinformation in their eyes

the same people are fine with using history to understand the legacy of things like slavery into why we see different outcomes for black folks here though.

consistency of anything is the antithesis of lib brains. the fragmentation of Hegels process oriented way of thinking into the deconstruction/geneology method of post structuralism has been an absolute gift to neoliberalism - history becomes divorced from reality where context takes on a moral dimension, and simply knowing things is viewed with intense suspicion. you must know the RIGHT things as demanded by the cultural zeitgeist, because it’s obvious that the wrong things are just disinformation. it’s funny how conspiratorial liberals have become, relying on the same rhetorical devices that flat earthers and the like use

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

lol

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

V. Illych L. posted:

its become very apparent that the vast majority of commentators have very little knowledge or understanding of Ukraine, Russia, the cold war, ww2 or really anything at all

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

CODChimera posted:

its become very apparent that the vast majority of commentators have very little knowledge or understanding of Ukraine, Russia, the cold war, ww2 or really anything at all

That’s right.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

V. Illych L. posted:

about a year ago i read a paper which was someone from the defence research institute doing, basically, p-hacking to reconciled "by most measures the US is a terrible ally" and "several governments base their entire security policy around their alliance with the US". the premise was that the latter being true must mean that the former is wrong, so the paper ended up being a reformulation of the indicators on what makes a good ally

i seriously considered writing a letter to the editor of the journal where it was posted alleging serious academic misconduct, but that would've meant spending a lot of energy on familiarising myself with a new jargon and subject matter and also being an rear end in a top hat. reading that thing was a real eye-opener to me though

e.
https://www.ffi.no/publikasjoner/arkiv/measuring-alliance-reliability-current-practices-and-future-research

Incredible

dk2m posted:

ive stopped even trying to explain anything to my lib friends prior to Feb 2022 on what happened in Donbass, let alone anything at all post 1991, because the last nearly decade of relentless anti-Russian propaganda has turned history itself into Russian disinformation in their eyes

the same people are fine with using history to understand the legacy of things like slavery into why we see different outcomes for black folks here though.

consistency of anything is the antithesis of lib brains. the fragmentation of Hegels process oriented way of thinking into the deconstruction/geneology method of post structuralism has been an absolute gift to neoliberalism - history becomes divorced from reality where context takes on a moral dimension, and simply knowing things is viewed with intense suspicion. you must know the RIGHT things as demanded by the cultural zeitgeist, because it’s obvious that the wrong things are just disinformation. it’s funny how conspiratorial liberals have become, relying on the same rhetorical devices that flat earthers and the like use

It creates intense amounts of trouble for people who know the history of, say, the Israeli Army poisoning wells in 1948.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

dk2m posted:

That's the thing these people aren't fine using history to understand anything. Liberal history in the last 10 years has become just as infantalized as the rest of liberalism

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

quote:

After the Second World War, the U.S. entered into a range of alliances. A recent study has
found that in this same period, the U.S. did not fulfill any of its alliance commitments. This is
remarkable not only because so many states depend on the U.S. as an ally, but because it
seems incompatible with the fact that most U.S. alliances have endured throughout the period.
This report explores this puzzle by revisiting the assumptions of the prevailing research design
in the literature on alliance reliability.

come on!!!!

a lot of the specific objections to "prevailing research design" on this literature seem basically fine to me, but laying it out like this really is giving away the game a bit

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

Its the most baffling thing to me of the whole war, the absolute naivety on display by i guess you would call the ukrainian lib segment, you would think their difficult geopolitical position would have taught them to be more savy.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

V. Illych L. posted:

come on!!!!

a lot of the specific objections to "prevailing research design" on this literature seem basically fine to me, but laying it out like this really is giving away the game a bit

I appreciate how nakedly ideological it is. Without writing a whole bunch about neoliberalism and the rejection of material reality and inability to acknowledge power and coercion, redefining what an alliance is rather than admitting the US doesn't have allies, it has vassals, is... it's great.

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

gradenko_2000 posted:

Adolf 1-5, come in Adolf 1-5, this is Hentai Actual

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/AndrewPerpetua/status/1755261857420415054

lol

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

V. Illych L. posted:

Thing is, this is true from the eyes of the liberal. To them anything that's not Europe or the US and I guess Canada is lesser and therefore the immense genocides and misery campaigns the US engaged in throughout the Cold War don't really count. It's an ideology and worldview of pure chauvinist Western (white) supremacy. Russia invading Ukraine is the most dramatic act of aggression (lol at unprovoked, not even going to acknowledge that) to the insane genocidal liberal.

I say Cold War but of course it continued to the Balkans, Iraq, Afghanistan, horn of Africa...

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Falukorv posted:

Its the most baffling thing to me of the whole war, the absolute naivety on display by i guess you would call the ukrainian lib segment, you would think their difficult geopolitical position would have taught them to be more savy.

they elected a comedian op

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Make Russia 1985–1999: TraumaZone compulsory viewing in school or something. Get rid of this main character syndrome everyone seems to have regarding Western history.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Homeless Friend posted:

they elected a comedian op

whos laughing now ??

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

so cool

https://twitter.com/AndrewPerpetua/status/1758503010605428924

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Nonsense posted:

https://twitter.com/I_am_Toro__/status/1758124013115871375

Russia is very undesirable territory - former German infantryman.

why did you only post the first tweet that recaps the story and not the second one that presumably demonstrates how it went horribly wrong

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

VoicesCanBe posted:

It appears Russia has launched an attack in the South, in the direction of Robotyne

Suriyak is also saying this:

https://twitter.com/Suriyakmaps/status/1758945600920306061

Presumably trying to keep up the pace of attrition for the Ukrainians and to keep their C2 off-balance.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

A popular refrain among the NAFOs seems to be "if Ukraine just had some F35s this war would be over in a day" which seems very ignorant given the investments Russia has made in AA systems. Wonder if an S-550 could shoot down an F35.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

my bony fealty posted:

A popular refrain among the NAFOs seems to be "if Ukraine just had some F35s this war would be over in a day" which seems very ignorant given the investments Russia has made in AA systems. Wonder if an S-550 could shoot down an F35.

If they never have F-35s fight Prometheus, they never have to admit they’re wrong. Is brilliant.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I am still waiting for Abrams to show up in the war, where the gently caress are the tanks.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

stephenthinkpad posted:

I am still waiting for Abrams to show up in the war, where the gently caress are the tanks.

They were in Avdeevka.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

If they never have F-35s fight Prometheus, they never have to admit they’re wrong. Is brilliant.

Its pretty funny that stealth in general hasn't been battle tested in a near-peer conflict. Funny in a good way I'd rather not find out what an F-35 vs J-20 war looks like.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

my bony fealty posted:

They mean the f35s would crash and destroy even more ua lives and materiel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brandon Proust
Jun 22, 2006

"Like many intellectuals, he was incapable of scoring a simple goal in a simple way"

my bony fealty posted:

A popular refrain among the NAFOs seems to be "if Ukraine just had some F35s this war would be over in a day" which seems very ignorant given the investments Russia has made in AA systems.

also it frequently rains over ukraine