Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

hooah posted:

It's not showing up in the BIOS :(. I have a Gigabyte Gaming X AX V2 motherboard and the M.2 drive is a Corsair MX500.
If you mean Crucial (not Corsair), that's a SATA M.2 drive so you would need to use M.2 ports that support SATA drives. From the spec sheet and manual, your mainboard only supports NVMe (PCI-e) M.2 drives.

At that point your options are a) buy a new (NVMe M.2) disk and/or b) get an external enclosure supporting M.2-SATA disks and use the MX500 as an external drive.

orcane fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Feb 16, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

orcane posted:

If you mean Crucial (not Corsair), that's a SATA M.2 drive so you would need to use M.2 ports that support SATA drives. From the spec sheet and manual, your mainboard only supports NVMe (PCI-e) M.2 drives.

At that point your options are a) buy a new (NVMe M.2) disk and/or b) get an external enclosure supporting M.2-SATA disks and use the MX500 as an external drive.

I did mean Crucial, thanks. I thought the spec said the 3rd slot supported SATA?

Gigabyte posted:

1 x M.2 connector (M2C_SB), integrated in the Chipset, supporting Socket 3, M key, type 25110/2580 PCIe 4.0 x4/x2 SSDs
4 x SATA 6Gb/s connectors
RAID 0, RAID 1, and RAID 10 support for NVMe SSD storage devices
RAID 0, RAID 1, and RAID 10 support for SATA storage devices

rattrap
Mar 25, 2005

hooah posted:

I did mean Crucial, thanks. I thought the spec said the 3rd slot supported SATA?

PCIE means NVME. SATA references there look related to SATA-specific connectors for the chipset and what drive types are supported for RAID.

Looking at the manual for that board:

code:
11) M2A_CPU/M2B_CPU/M2C_SB/M2D_SB (M.2 Socket 3 Connectors)
There are two types of M.2 SSDs: M.2 SATA SSDs and M.2 PCIe SSDs. This motherboard only supports M.2 PCIe SSDs.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I think that refers to the actual SATA connectors. The manual has a line that says "This motherboard only supports M.2 PCIe SSDs" on page 24.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Ah, ok. I hadn't looked for that information in the manual. Guess I can sell this drive with my other old parts.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Not much, but Micro Center's AMD bundles all have an extra $30 off right now.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Current build is running an AMD 5600x and my old 1070. Just for gaming, and I'm finally starting to dip under 60fps on low setting in stuff like Helldviers 2 so I figure it's time for the gpu upgrade that I skipped when building this pc during the chip shortage stuff.

I figure the new 4070 Super is probably the best upgrade for me, right? I'm ok to wait a bit longer on it, are there any sites that will price watch them for me (in USA), and also what's up with different manufacturers and stuff like that? Any that are clear winners or losers to avoid?

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Personally I'll never buy another Gigabyte card. The cooling fans were loud as poo poo at every speed.

Never had any problems with any of the MSI cards I've bought though.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Beachcomber posted:

We're giving up on microcenter because the laptop my wife bought yesterday BSoD upon first set up.

Edit: we live three hours away

Try reinstalling a clean build of Win 11, a lot of those BSOD are driver conflicts or crashes from the manufacture's bloatware, not always a hardware thing.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
PC goons,

I'm hoping to build a new PC for gaming and perhaps light streaming/video editing/ fuckin around. I've never splurged on a PC before, but I'm fortunate enough to be in a position where I can this time, and I'd like to max out all settings and behold the pixels
  • What country are you in? US
  • Do you live near Microcenter? 3 hours away but my time is worthless, will consider traveling there if it makes sense
  • What are you using the system for? Gaming, video editing, loving around
  • What's your budget? willing to spend ~$3000 if it makes sense
  • If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? Primary monitor is an LG Ultragear OLED, 2560 x 1440, 240Hz
Time has passed me by in terms of computer savviness (and a lot of other things, now that I think about it)...most of the stuff you guys talk about sounds greek to me. So I'm ignorant and willing to spend some money, aka a perfect mark. I looked at PC Part Picker's recommendation for a beefy gaming computer and ended up with this:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D 4.2 GHz 16-Core Processor ($599.00 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 360 A-RGB 48.8 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($188.21 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: *Asus PRIME X670-P ATX AM5 Motherboard ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: *Silicon Power XPOWER Zenith Gaming 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory ($94.99 @ Newegg Sellers)
Storage: *Western Digital Black SN850X 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($157.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: *MSI RTX 4090 GAMING SLIM 24G GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB Video Card ($1799.99 @ Best Buy)
Case: Corsair iCUE 5000D RGB AIRFLOW ATX Mid Tower Case ($219.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: *Super Flower Leadex Platinum SE 1000 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($149.99 @ Newegg Sellers)
Total: $3380.15
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-02-17 20:58 EST-0500

Does this look reasonable? I know there are diminishing returns as price goes up, but I'd like to have a system that can max out poo poo. Thanks!

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Does this look reasonable? I know there are diminishing returns as price goes up, but I'd like to have a system that can max out poo poo. Thanks!

• Believe it or not the Ryzen 7 7800X3D actually performs slightly better than the 7950X3D for gaming. It really is the gaming CPU to get right now.
  • Your RAM isn't on your motherboard's list of supported memory. I strongly suggest you pick something that is if you want to run your memory at it's full speed.
  • I've never heard of Super Flower brand power supplies. Make of that what you will. Edit: vvv Sounds like they're fine.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Feb 18, 2024

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

wash bucket posted:

• Believe it or not the Ryzen 7 7800X3D actually performs slightly better than the 7950X3D for gaming. It really is the gaming CPU to get right now.
  • Your RAM isn't on your motherboard's list of supported memory. I strongly suggest you pick something that is if you want to run your memory at it's full speed.
  • I've never heard of Super Flower brand power supplies. Make of that what you will.

Superflower are legit and have been around for ages. Top notch PSU OEM.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Twerk from Home posted:

Superflower are legit and have been around for ages. Top notch PSU OEM.

Cool. Learned something new.

Edit: Ah, here's why I hadn't heard of them. Super Flower Entering North America PC Power Supply Market

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Feb 18, 2024

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
^^^ Super Flower is actually a pretty big OEM that has made PSUs for Corsair, EVGA, and FSP group before.

Depends on how much "Video editing" is going to happen. The 7800X3D is slightly faster at gaming, but the 7950X3D will run circles around it at heavy duty video editing/encoding because it has double the cores...

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

What happened to https://www.jonnyguru.com/ ? I was going to dig up an old review that shows they've been building great PSUs for ages but it's dead now?

Who else tests power supplies like they did? That hot box caught out so many mediocre units.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I hereby apologize to the fine folks at Super Flower. A thousand pardons.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Puny American wiring is incapable of standing up to the raw power of a Superflower flagship PSU: https://www.anandtech.com/show/8946/super-flower-8pack-release-the-worlds-first-2kw-consumer-psu

Hell, thinking about this made me realize that 15A circuits can only handle 1440W sustained load, if you have a 1600W PSU and a machine that actually pulls 1500W I bet you'd have to run a special circuit for it.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Twerk from Home posted:

Puny American wiring is incapable of standing up to the raw power of a Superflower flagship PSU: https://www.anandtech.com/show/8946/super-flower-8pack-release-the-worlds-first-2kw-consumer-psu

Hell, thinking about this made me realize that 15A circuits can only handle 1440W sustained load, if you have a 1600W PSU and a machine that actually pulls 1500W I bet you'd have to run a special circuit for it.
Shouldn't it be 1800W for a 15A circuit?

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Shipon posted:

Shouldn't it be 1800W for a 15A circuit?
Circuits are rated at peak power, the continuous power rating (>3 hours) is 80% of that. So for a 15A breaker the maximum continuous power is 12A or 1440w.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Indiana_Krom posted:

^^^ Super Flower is actually a pretty big OEM that has made PSUs for Corsair, EVGA, and FSP group before.

Depends on how much "Video editing" is going to happen. The 7800X3D is slightly faster at gaming, but the 7950X3D will run circles around it at heavy duty video editing/encoding because it has double the cores...

The 7800X3D is only faster at gaming because the averages include games where the lovely gamebar scheduling doesn't work, if you just do core affinity yourself whenever that happens it is faster 100% of the time.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Twerk from Home posted:

What happened to https://www.jonnyguru.com/ ? I was going to dig up an old review that shows they've been building great PSUs for ages but it's dead now?

Last I heard, Jonny Guru got a job working for Corsair, so he more or less abandoned the site because of conflict of interest.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Twerk from Home posted:

Who else tests power supplies like they did? That hot box caught out so many mediocre units.
I think Aris is good:
https://hwbusters.com/psus/

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Looks like the OP hasn't been updated in a bit - are there any recommended builds out there based roughly on budget, something like $1.5k or $2k (or more I'm not sure how expensive things have gotten with inflation)?

My computer is really struggling to run current-gen games and I'm wondering if a fresh build would be a good idea then I can transition my current computer into a common-area one for my kid's homework.

Currently I have:

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6600K
16 GB RAM
Radeon RX 570

Would I be able to put together a solid new build for ~1.5-2k that is future proofed a bit? Would it be worthwhile to pay a bit more to future proof it? And if so, are there any resources in-thread with recommended builds?

Really appreciate any insight! It's been years since I last build a PC and I used the recs from this thread back then and am super overwhelmed now.

Edit: sorry see the form now!

What country are you in? US
Do you live near Microcenter? 1 hour, I could make a trip out of it some Saturday and do other things in the area.
What are you using the system for? Gaming and streaming
What's your budget? Would prefer ~$2k but would pay $3k if it would future-proof me a bit more and save money in the long-term.
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? Would like monitor recommendations! Currently have a Dell P2419HC, 1920/180, 60hz

Tom Tucker fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Feb 18, 2024

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Usual default question of whether you have a Micro Center nearby or not. That said, depending on the resolution, graphics settings, and frame rate you want to target, $1.5-$2k is easily doable.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Branch Nvidian posted:

Usual default question of whether you have a Micro Center nearby or not. That said, depending on the resolution, graphics settings, and frame rate you want to target, $1.5-$2k is easily doable.

Yup sorry saw the form earlier in the page - I could do a microcenter trip.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Tom Tucker posted:

Yup sorry saw the form earlier in the page - I could do a microcenter trip.

Getting this bundle from Micro Center will save you about $200 https://www.microcenter.com/product...er-build-bundle, then do something like this:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor ($469.99)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($33.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B650 GAMING X AX V2 ATX AM5 Motherboard ($0.00)
Memory: G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL36 Memory ($0.00)
Storage: Acer Predator GM7000 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($124.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus DUAL GeForce RTX 4070 SUPER 12 GB Video Card ($599.99 @ Best Buy)
Case: Fractal Design Pop Air ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: Corsair RM750e (2023) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.98 @ Amazon)
Monitor: Alienware AW3423DWF 34.2" 3440 x 1440 165 Hz Curved Monitor ($799.99 @ Dell Technologies)
Total: $2188.83
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-02-18 11:51 EST-0500

Please note that I have included the Alienware AW3423DWF QD-OLED monitor here since it's considered one of the best gaming monitors on the market right now. That said, $800 for a monitor can seem like a lot of money to some folks so just omit it if that's too much. Additionally check the monitors thread for better suggestion based on your exact set up, as they're more versed in them in that thread than I am here. You can get a Windows license from BrownThunder or Lodge North in SA Mart for $20.

If you remove the monitor you can upgrade to a 4080 Super and stay within your $2000 budget, and be extremely "future proof," or at least as much as one can be, for several years. Though, quite arguably a 4080 Super would be almost entirely wasted on your monitor. Likewise you could save another $100 and get an AMD RX 7800 XT for $500 and keep the monitor in the build price and still be extremely good for several years.

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Feb 18, 2024

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

his is super helpful! It looks pretty darn affordable even with the monitor so I may spring for it as I haven't had a legit gaming monitor in about a decade.

Thanks a ton Branch Nvidian!

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

What's AMD's competitor to the 4070? The 7800 XT series?

Branch Nvidian posted:

You can get a Windows license from BrownThunder or Lodge North in SA Mart for $20.

what's this now?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

What's AMD's competitor to the 4070? The 7800 XT series?

7700 XT and 7800 XT are AMD's competition to the 4070/Super/Ti Super

quote:

what's this now?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3898368
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3768345

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
As a laugh, I wonder what the best microcenter location would be to fly to and still "save money."

Like is there one right next to a United or Southwest hub with a free shuttle or cheap public transport? Imagine a fresh-faced (but still smelly) goon on college break with a small suitcase or backpack, *some* cash, and the need to enter baldur's gate.

Edit : Holy poo poo I didn't know there were that few of them still.

down1nit fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Feb 18, 2024

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

down1nit posted:

Edit : Holy poo poo I didn't know there were that few of them still.

It absolutely blows my mind that they don't have a single location in the Pacific Northwest. I get that this was historically Fry's Country, but they've been dead for years now! This is now officially an Underserved Market!

For Greater Portland, there's even a old Fry's that would be an amazing location for a Micro Center (right off of I5, has some transit access). But it closed three years ago almost exactly, and every season that building sits unattended in the PNW rains and whatnot makes me wonder how sound it still is. Especially given that I doubt Fry's was doing much maintenance in the last year or two...

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I get micro center's limited stores is probably how they're still around, but their locations always seem puzzling. Like, the Philly store being out in St. Davids is a decision.

And 3 stores in Ohio for some reason

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Thanks for the responses guys. I went ahead and changed the CPU -- there will be relatively little video editing unless I pull of a sick ollie from a park bench in a game or something. Mostly 30 second clips where I add fart noises. Switching CPUs knocked a little off the price so made sense to me. I also selected compatible RAM (thanks for catching that wash bucket).

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor ($362.25 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 360 A-RGB 48.8 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($185.01 @ MemoryC)
Motherboard: *Asus PRIME X670-P ATX AM5 Motherboard ($169.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-7200 CL34 Memory ($132.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: *Western Digital Black SN850X 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($157.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: *MSI RTX 4090 GAMING SLIM 24G GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB Video Card ($1799.99 @ Best Buy)
Power Supply: *Super Flower Leadex Platinum SE 1000 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($149.99 @ Newegg Sellers)
Total: $3178.20
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-02-18 14:44 EST-0500

Any other red flags?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
A 7800X3D doesn't require a 360MM AIO. A good dual-tower air cooler like the Thermalright Peerless Assassin is more than sufficient.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

I don't see that memory on the qvl for the x670-p. Ryzen 7000 doesn't really like memory speeds that high either. I'd try to find a quality 6000mts cl30 kit, or somewhere in that ballpark.

https://www.newegg.com/corsair-32gb/p/N82E16820236909 would work if you want rgb

Canna Happy fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Feb 18, 2024

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Thanks for the responses guys. I went ahead and changed the CPU -- there will be relatively little video editing unless I pull of a sick ollie from a park bench in a game or something. Mostly 30 second clips where I add fart noises. Switching CPUs knocked a little off the price so made sense to me. I also selected compatible RAM (thanks for catching that wash bucket).

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor ($362.25 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 360 A-RGB 48.8 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($185.01 @ MemoryC)
Motherboard: *Asus PRIME X670-P ATX AM5 Motherboard ($169.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-7200 CL34 Memory ($132.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $3178.20
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-02-18 14:44 EST-0500

Any other red flags?

The amount you are spending on the cooler and case is way higher than I would do unless I'm building something for a rich guy who insists on those particular parts. The PSU is also slight overkill, but we're talking about 20 dollars, so i love it's totally good to go.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Branch Nvidian posted:

If you remove the monitor you can upgrade to a 4080 Super and stay within your $2000 budget, and be extremely "future proof," or at least as much as one can be, for several years. Though, quite arguably a 4080 Super would be almost entirely wasted on your monitor. Likewise you could save another $100 and get an AMD RX 7800 XT for $500 and keep the monitor in the build price and still be extremely good for several years.

To confirm that's this GPU?

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/graphics-cards/40-series/rtx-4080-family/

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Yes, that one or one of the variants made by the AIB partners (ASUS, MSI, Gigabtye, etc.)

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Branch Nvidian posted:

Yes, that one or one of the variants made by the AIB partners (ASUS, MSI, Gigabtye, etc.)

drat - looks like any version I can find is sold out at the local microcenter and Best Buy / etc. at that price point. Maybe I will just stick with the 4070 super.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Tom Tucker posted:

drat - looks like any version I can find is sold out at the local microcenter and Best Buy / etc. at that price point. Maybe I will just stick with the 4070 super.

At 1080p a 4070 Super is going to be a 339% relative performance increase over your RX 570. A 4070 Ti Super would be 415% relative improvement, and a 4080 Super would be a 508% relative improvement based solely on TechPowerUp's database. Though relative to one another that delta is MUCH lower due to the testing parameters being used for card ranked above the RTX 2080 Ti, and each is only about 18% better than the last. The 4070 Ti Super could be worth stepping up to if you have the budget for it, but I think a 4070 Super will be just fine for you.

Edit: here we go, all the cards were tested on The Witcher 3 to give you a general idea:
RX 570: 44fps @ 1080p https://www.techpowerup.com/review/sapphire-rx-570-pulse/25.html
RTX 4070 Super: 277.7fps @ 1080p https://www.techpowerup.com/review/asus-geforce-rtx-4070-super-dual/30.html
RTX 4070 Ti Super: 310.3fps @ 1080p https://www.techpowerup.com/review/msi-geforce-rtx-4070-ti-super-ventus-3x/30.html
RTX 4080 Super: 370.4fps @ 1080p https://www.techpowerup.com/review/msi-geforce-rtx-4080-super-expert/30.html

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Feb 18, 2024