Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Qwijib0 posted:

One of the window controls in my 2018 3 snapped on Wednesday so it couldn't roll the window up. I assumed it would be real expensive out of warranty.

$53 installed and there was a mobile appointment slot yesterday, so it's already fixed.

Tesla service continues to impress, some other manufacturers should figure it out.

for every one of those, there’s stuff like Tesla covering the older Model 3 seats and headrests in a material incapable of sustaining prolonged contact with sebaceous oils of the sort found in people’s hair, causing the headrests to bubble and melt after a couple of years

https://driveteslacanada.ca/model-3/tesla-model-3-headrest-bubbling-cause-prevention/

(yes this is currently happening to my dad’s car, supposedly there’s a recall in place but some ppl have had issues having it honored)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Maybe your dad is greasy

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Cactus Ghost posted:

i'm still reeling from the whiplash of going from non-union service jobs where calling in sick could get me fired, to a union healthcare job where i can just actually stay home if i get sick, and not only do i not get threatened with termination, i still get paid

:cheers:

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

MrYenko posted:

Be careful saying nice things about Tesla. You’ll summon the others.

But ya mobile service loving rocks and has already sold me my next car, whenever that happens. (If they offer an FSD carry-over to a highland Model 3 I’d be sorely tempted. Gimme dem ventilated seats.)

The updated highland model is eligible for FSD transfer. That's why I went to test drive it. If you're trying to save money, do not go test drive it. You'll end up like me constantly going on the website and resisting placing an order.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
why would anybody want FSD?

why would anybody out themselves as a FSD buyer/user/enjoyer?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

If they already have it they may want to keep it?

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

No Butt Stuff posted:

If they already have it they may want to keep it?

We'll know for sure once someone actually has it.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

We’ve since sold the car but we had the fsd package when it was much cheaper and the only way to get the lane change feature. That feature alone was worth it to me at the price we paid. Genuinely useful. All the non highway stuff is like technically impressive, but not actually useful in any way. If they had set their sights on hands-off highway adas it would have been both impressive and useful. Their goals are not aligned with my wants, however.

WHERE IS MY LYRIQ. GIVE ME THE SUPERCRUISE NOW.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

trilobite terror posted:

why would anybody want FSD?

why would anybody out themselves as a FSD buyer/user/enjoyer?

It's called sunk cost fallacy and I'm determined to get FSD.

I purchased FSD when it was 3k mainly for the auto parking. Auto park was and still is absolutely useless by the way. But FSD has improved significantly over the 5 years(I forgot when it was enabled). It started out as 'kill you with it's stupidity in 10 seconds" to "kill you with it's stupidity in 90 seconds". I'm not being facetious here, FSD never lasted more than 90 seconds before I cursed at the car and took over.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
I think I've described FSD as driving a bit like an inexperienced teenager, and thinking more on it I feel that doesn't quite hit what exactly is wrong with it. If you're the passenger in a car driven by a teenager you understand the kinds of mistakes they're going to make. They'll fail at maintaining the correct speed, they'll brake inconsistently, not check blind spots, etc. Humans make human type mistakes, which other humans can predict and expect to happen. You can, with a pretty good certainty, predict that a human driver is not going to swerve into oncoming traffic or pull into a crossroad directly into another car that they can see coming. Other people have a sense of self-preservation that benefits passengers as well. FSD on the other hand doesn't operate like a human, so it's harder to trust with your safety as a human. If it starts creeping forward at an unprotected turn, it's hard to tell if it's planning on pulling out directly into a car, or just getting ready to turn as they pass. To babysit it you have to both observe the environment around the car, as well as the small, minimal information display that indicates its intentions, which may change seemingly randomly. A HUD would probably help with that, but I doubt that's ever going to happen.

FSD could be useful if it were as good at driving as an average attentive driver, but it's not there yet and I think it will be hard to tell that it is that safe even if it were.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
The best was when FSD wanted to go between the fork in the road… where the trees were. And the time it was supposed to make a right turn, it put the right turn signal on, then jerked over into the left turn lane.

It’s an 8 year old driving at best.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Regular radar-enabled autopilot with human-initiated auto-lane change is legit wonderful.

And as I understand it that’s what supercruise is.

I want my lyriq.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
What the gently caress is THIS thread?
oh.

hi.

My name is Charlie and I am a truck-a-holic.
It's been 0 days since my last terrible decision.
I had a 2011 Ecoboost that ate the timing chain at 42000 miles. Then again at 90ish.
So I got a 2019 Ecoboost that started stretching the timing chain at 46000 miles and the cam phasers started going to poo poo so I decided to solve that problem by removing the engine.

:science: 2023 Lightning XLT, standard battery.

I brought it home Monday night and already regret getting a standard battery. But there wasn't anything with an extended battery that I could afford so here we are.
I've been through a full charge already, and I got about 200 miles, so slightly better than 2miles/kWh.

All in all it's been a great week. It's easy to drive, it feels just like my last truck except quieter and smoother and a little faster off the line.
I don't have to worry about towing anything because I haven't had a trailer in a while and the boat has been long gone.
I think it'll be a good fit. Should be perfect for commuting.

I'm a little disappointed that it costs considerably more to charge than just filling my tank with premium, but frankly, I'm just glad to not be driving around a timebomb (I hope).

The 360 view camera makes me kinda nauseous but maybe I'll get used to it.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

borkencode posted:

I think I've described FSD as driving a bit like an inexperienced teenager, and thinking more on it I feel that doesn't quite hit what exactly is wrong with it. If you're the passenger in a car driven by a teenager you understand the kinds of mistakes they're going to make. They'll fail at maintaining the correct speed, they'll brake inconsistently, not check blind spots, etc. Humans make human type mistakes, which other humans can predict and expect to happen. You can, with a pretty good certainty, predict that a human driver is not going to swerve into oncoming traffic or pull into a crossroad directly into another car that they can see coming. Other people have a sense of self-preservation that benefits passengers as well. FSD on the other hand doesn't operate like a human, so it's harder to trust with your safety as a human. If it starts creeping forward at an unprotected turn, it's hard to tell if it's planning on pulling out directly into a car, or just getting ready to turn as they pass. To babysit it you have to both observe the environment around the car, as well as the small, minimal information display that indicates its intentions, which may change seemingly randomly. A HUD would probably help with that, but I doubt that's ever going to happen.

FSD could be useful if it were as good at driving as an average attentive driver, but it's not there yet and I think it will be hard to tell that it is that safe even if it were.

Everything I've heard about version 12 of their software (the one based on pure AI for both perception and control) indicates that it's a major step forward. Not quite ready to drive without human supervision, but far enough along to make that feel like a not-so-unrealistic goal.

Even then, there's still the matter of regulatory approval. If the NHTSA determines that safe self-driving requires hardware that can't readily be retrofitted to existing Teslas (such as redundant steering servos like what Waymo has), things could get ugly.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

oh.

hi.

I had a 2011 Ecoboost that ate the timing chain at 42000 miles. Then again at 90ish.
So I got a 2019 Ecoboost that started stretching the timing chain at 46000 miles and the cam phasers started going to poo poo so I decided to solve that problem by removing the engine.

I brought it home Monday night and already regret getting a standard battery. But there wasn't anything with an extended battery that I could afford so here we are.
I've been through a full charge already, and I got about 200 miles, so slightly better than 2miles/kWh.

All in all it's been a great week. It's easy to drive, it feels just like my last truck except quieter and smoother and a little faster off the line.
I don't have to worry about towing anything because I haven't had a trailer in a while and the boat has been long gone.

I'm a little disappointed that it costs considerably more to charge than just filling my tank with premium, but frankly, I'm just glad to not be driving around a timebomb (I hope).

Neat! What are your home electricity rates? How much would it cost to charge the battery fully? (I don’t know how big the standard battery is).

When I get my lyriq it should cost me around $12 for a full charge.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

oh.

hi.

Hell yeah dude. The Lightning is and will be the standard set for EV trucks several years out.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Nice truck! I'm confused by this bit though, can you not charge at home? Cause the gas F150 would be 2X the cost per mile than the lightning in my state.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Yes, please give a little more info on your charging situation. I am quite curious.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

why a truck? just wanted a truck? not being a wiseass, just curious since you only mentioned commuting

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

oh.

hi.

It sounds like you might not be charging at home. You should be charging at home:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4lvDGtfI9U
Watch the whole video; it explains why you should charge at home, and charge every time you get home, but only charge to 80% or less while doing it. I highly recommend it for a first time EV owner, this is important and can dramatically impact the lifespan of your battery. Also a bit of warning about its towing capacity, yes it can haul a big load and do it smoothly, but keep in mind your new truck has the equivalent of about 3 gallons of gasoline for total fuel capacity. How far could you tow an 11,000 pound trailer with only 3 gallons of fuel in your previous truck? Probably not very far right? Same deal with this, towing requires a looooot of energy, and EVs don't actually have that much in the tank.

As for using a humongous "light truck" for daily commuting, well, at least you admit you make terrible decisions. ;)

Congrats! And don't worry, once you get your home charging properly sorted out the cost per mile should come down a lot. (If you have time of use billing for your electric utility, you might have to tweak the scheduling a bit to get the most affordable charging, and you will need the fastest L2 EVSE your vehicle can use to make it the easiest to schedule around.)

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Wayne Knight posted:

Neat! What are your home electricity rates? How much would it cost to charge the battery fully? (I don’t know how big the standard battery is).

When I get my lyriq it should cost me around $12 for a full charge.

Every Supercharger I've seen was about $0.35/kWh, give or take a couple pennies (roughly equal to fueling a car getting 30mpg, at least with my local gas prices). Though non-Tesla DC fast chargers could be more - especially if they charge based on time rather than kilowatt-hours, which can screw you over hard if something is making your battery charge more slowly than it should.

Cockmaster fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Feb 18, 2024

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.
I too want to know how charging the truck ends up being more expensive, even the most egregiously marked-up superchargers I’ve seen are usually on par with gas.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Carrying around 3 US tons of metal and batteries just to commute (I assume less than 50 miles). lol.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Russian Bear posted:

Carrying around 3 US tons of metal and batteries just to commute (I assume less than 50 miles). lol.

You could just ask what they need a truck for instead of making the most rear end in a top hat assumption

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

The dude doesn’t need to explain himself. People have preferences.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Wayne Knight posted:

Not allowed in this thread AI.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Wayne Knight posted:

The way trucks are designed today makes them inherently dangerous:

It's criminal that we allow them on our roads as daily drivers for people not in the trades with special licenses. I live in the south and being next to a F150 that completely blocks all of my visibility to oncoming hazards is a daily occurrence.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Feb 18, 2024

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Why can’t you just be open to the idea that someone might need a truck to transport a couch once every four years? :shrug:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Christ, take it to the terrible car stuff thread

edit : Actually no just quit it full stop

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
The terrible chart above made me think of the most efficient EV that may or may not be available soon. Aptera!

And to remind you of that, here are some popular Youtubers who were totally not invited to test drive the latest prototype and read you some specs from a brochure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDmeqLEB9c0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqLZM3k0LNA

Totally puts your gas watt guzzling MachE to shame with its theoretical 10mi/kwh!

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Can't wait to see all the smooshed electric tricycles after they get run over by Lightnings and Cybertrvcks! The future is glorious!

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
Low visibility, heavy vehicles might kill kids but at least you can look like a boss while you do it

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Long-haul EV trucking probably is never going to happen and doesn't make any sense anyway, but it would be pretty cool to see more local delivery vehicles using batteries. The post office had a plan to purchase a shitload of electric trucks, basically the ideal use case for EVs (vehicles with a predictable daily route), and the Trump administration scuttled the plans and forced the post office to start buying new diesel vehicles instead. The post office recently resumed plans for electrification, and they've just begun to unveil some of the new vehicles and charging stations

Suburban trucks meanwhile continue to be a blight on American roads, truck EVs shouldn't be eligible for incentives imo unless it's for a business

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

slidebite posted:

Yes, please give a little more info on your charging situation. I am quite curious.

Guessing PG&E. It's 34 cents/kWh from midnight to 3 PM, and that rises to >60 during peak hours.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Nitrox posted:

The terrible chart above made me think of the most efficient EV that may or may not be available soon. Aptera!

And to remind you of that, here are some popular Youtubers who were totally not invited to test drive the latest prototype and read you some specs from a brochure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDmeqLEB9c0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqLZM3k0LNA

Totally puts your gas watt guzzling MachE to shame with its theoretical 10mi/kwh!

Oh wow these guys are still sucking VC money dry, good for them.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

QuarkJets posted:

Long-haul EV trucking probably is never going to happen and doesn't make any sense anyway,

How certain is that? Long-haul trucking is in some sense simple use case, since the legal work hour limits set pretty strict limit on the needed range and lot of them drive same routes all the time. The claims seem to be that it's possible to fit enough battery in a semi. The weight reduces the carrying capacity a bit, but how large portion of the loads are limited by weight instead of volume. The batteries will of course cost hideously, but so seems to do the diesel too.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

QuarkJets posted:

Long-haul EV trucking probably is never going to happen and doesn't make any sense anyway

Well it kinda has to happen (along with many many many many other things) if we want a chance to slow and mitigate global warming. Either that or move everything by rail.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Saukkis posted:

How certain is that? Long-haul trucking is in some sense simple use case, since the legal work hour limits set pretty strict limit on the needed range and lot of them drive same routes all the time. The claims seem to be that it's possible to fit enough battery in a semi. The weight reduces the carrying capacity a bit, but how large portion of the loads are limited by weight instead of volume. The batteries will of course cost hideously, but so seems to do the diesel too.

I've wondered if it might be possible to stick extra batteries in the trailer floor.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Saukkis posted:

Maybe you could put electrified conductors in the highway for the long-haul trucks. Then maybe you could put a bunch of them in a line, and have the wheels ride on the conductors to reduce tire wear.

Seriously though, long-haul trucking is probably one of the last feasible candidates for electrified ground transport, but I'm super stoked about electric semis for in city/point to point use, eliminating diesel emissions from congested areas would be a massive boon for everyone's lung health, and it's a great use case for pure EV semis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Delivery vehicles should at the very least be hybrids. The amount time they're left idling during a delivery is ridiculous. I mean I fully believe they should be full EV but it seems like society has other plans :rolleyes: