Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Shaedon Sharpe needs to jump over Wemby next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Codependent Poster posted:

Better than Brown's left handed dunk

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

every year i get disappointed with this

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

lol that was a 50????

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
lol ok

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Boo

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

at least the right guy won

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Mean Baby posted:

Shaedon Sharpe needs to jump over Wemby next year.

nobody should ever dunk over top of anyone else in one of these again. there's nothing new or good to do

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I mean I think that's the right result but. Sad state of affairs

Eratik
Jun 23, 2004

I like your style.

Rick posted:

Mac Mac Lung spendin g his entire G league salary on dunk contest coaches.

Honestly that's a good business decision

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
All 50s wow I just saw the greatest dunk in history

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
These dunks aren't even terrible, there's just very little left that can really impress people in terms of star power + ability + creativity

It's also funny thinking about the combined athletic ability of SAS posters being like "lol these dunks"

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Next year he should just wear a white tee with "Giannis and LeBron are cowards" written in Sharpie

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

congratulations to the nba's back to back dunk contest winner, who you will almost definitely not see again on television this season

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Aye Doc posted:

nobody should ever dunk over top of anyone else in one of these again. there's nothing new or good to do

Fair, I think Shae could dunk over Wemby without pushing off tho

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Lol trying to be coy about coming back

What the gently caress else do you have going on Mac McClung

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Even Mac McClung is ashamed of his involvement in this

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Deadbeat Dad posted:

These dunks aren't even terrible

nah they were pretty terrible

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Congrats Mac mcclung now let’s never do a dunk contest again

runaway pancake
Dec 13, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Gravy Boat 2k
the real reason no big names do the dunk contest, they would lose to mac mcclung

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Aye Doc posted:

nah they were pretty terrible

If you looked back at the history of dunk contests, people were going crazy over bullshit but now it's all been seen before

It's all relative, I'm saying there is a peak unless you're some youtube dunk artist dude devoting your life to creative dunks but NBA players aren't interested in that

last truly great one was LaVine + Gordon because of the hype/ability/creativity but even then LaVine got roasted for doing slightly diff takes of a long jump dunk (even though it was sick)

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

i didnt watch the dunk contest but im glad they didnt give a pity dunk contest win to a random boston celtic scrub who cant dribble left

Eratik
Jun 23, 2004

I like your style.

Deadbeat Dad posted:

These dunks aren't even terrible, there's just very little left that can really impress people in terms of star power + ability + creativity

It's also funny thinking about the combined athletic ability of SAS posters being like "lol these dunks"

It must be amazing spending every minute watching tv in joyous rapture at any person capable of performing any task or skill better than yourself.

de curry GOAT
Oct 23, 2005

Shaedon Sharpe you are a coward. Coward!!

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Deadbeat Dad posted:

it's me, i'm the guy who is saying i can dunk better than these professional basketball players

the scoring was stupid as hell, that has nothing to do with the remaining frontier of dunks

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

runaway pancake posted:

the real reason no big names do the dunk contest, they would lose to mac mcclung

They tried to pump up Jaylen's scores to assure real players they'd be graded on a much softer curve but even that wasn't enough

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Eratik posted:

It must be amazing spending every minute watching tv in joyous rapture at any person capable of performing any task or skill better than yourself.

The "everything is miserable" schtick is also very annoying but hey go off king

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

not everything is miserable but the dunk contest is definitely miserable

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I wonder how much AT&T pays to keep the dunks at the end of the show even though the 3 point contest is way more interesting and exciting

RandomHodge
Jul 5, 2007

Aye Doc posted:

Yeah I found the rest of the night pretty entertaining but the dunk contest stinks out loud

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

DC Murderverse posted:

I wonder how much AT&T pays to keep the dunks at the end of the show even though the 3 point contest is way more interesting and exciting

most years I've been going to bed after the 3pt contest, definitely do not want them putting the good event even later

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Both 3 point contests ruled, as is tradition

Shoutout to Sabrina for shooting from the Men's 3 point line and putting up a number that nobody except Steph beat on the night

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Next year the main event should be Caitlin Clark vs. Steph

Eratik
Jun 23, 2004

I like your style.

Deadbeat Dad posted:

The "everything is miserable" schtick is also very annoying but hey go off king

I'm just here participating in all star game day discourse. Pretty sure I even said half the dunks were good. I'm not the one who came in at the last minute like "lol these fat goons cant even dunk". Thank you for calling me king.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Aye Doc posted:

I'm not saying it was entertaining at all, I'm saying the dunks aren't getting that much worse, people's expectations are higher because of what people are seeing in games. Putting your arm in the rim as Vince is cool 24 years ago, not so much now.

Of course, you can bring Kilganon and professional dunkers in for hype dunks, but there's no oomph behind the name, and people are going to give less of a poo poo than a G-Leaguer winning it.

Event probably needs a rehauling of some sort, or a way to get in big names

RandomHodge
Jul 5, 2007
For the record an arm in the rim would’ve kicked rear end compared to everything we saw tonight. A “closed eye” where you close your eyes after the dunk wouldn’t be cool in any era ever

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Deadbeat Dad posted:

I'm not saying it was entertaining at all, I'm saying the dunks aren't getting that much worse, people's expectations are higher because of what people are seeing in games. Putting your arm in the rim as Vince is cool 24 years ago, not so much now.

Of course, you can bring Kilganon and professional dunkers in for hype dunks, but there's no oomph behind the name, and people are going to give less of a poo poo than a G-Leaguer winning it.

Event probably needs a rehauling of some sort, or a way to get in big names

how many people do you think are debating you on your dunk thesis and how many do you think are responding to the second line of your post

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
I'm sorry for offending out of shape goons then, my bad

here's my peace offering:

https://twitter.com/R3TROFLOW/status/1759061292453650480

Deadbeat Dad fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Feb 18, 2024

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

nobody was throwing down with any ferocity tonight. what if we had some big muscular dudes come in and just throw down extremely violent dunks wouldn't that be cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Deadbeat Dad posted:

I'm sorry for offending out of shape goons then, my bad

if i was offended by my inability to dunk that would be really tough for me to handle, but i've never really had the ups

my point is that i think you're mistaking a lot of this negativity as "i think i could do better/there could be better dunks" when it's more about how the dunks that are happening are being evaluated in the competition. maybe i'm wrong