Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

https://www.gofundme.com/f/stand-with-trump-raise-the-settlement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Steezo posted:

Lost it at "have you considered asking any lance corporal about all the stupid poo poo they do daily that risks their life in a pandemic?"

The look of the guy when he’s asking him about the Poland stripper stuff is just outstanding

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Hahaha

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Technically it wouldn't be used for legal defense, and they're no longer alleged crimes. :smug:

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Technically it wouldn't be used for legal defense, and they're no longer alleged crimes. :smug:

:hmmyes:

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Wingnut Ninja posted:

As long as he appeals, they are!

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

psydude posted:

As long as he appeals, they are!

No, an appeal doesn't magically erase a conviction until a final ruling declares otherwise.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

A.o.D. posted:

No, an appeal doesn't magically erase a conviction until a final ruling declares otherwise.

I meant more that he's maintaining his innocence.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

"Hi, I'm actor Troy McClure. You might remember me from other educational films such as ''Lead Pipes: Your Friend and Mine' and 'Asbestos: The Coziest Insulator.'"

https://archive.is/QKqL8

quote:

WARREN, Mich. — Wearing a lab coat, Eve Vitale asked a chemistry class at Warren Mott High School if anyone had heard anything bad about plastics. Hands shot up. It doesn’t degrade, said one student. It hurts the environment, said another.

But “that’s not really the plastic’s fault,” said Vitale, chief executive of the Society of Plastics Engineers Foundation, a group of industry professionals. “That’s the fault of humanity.” After warning what a “mess” it would be in supermarkets and hospitals without plastics, Vitale instructed that the plastic pollution crisis could be addressed through stepped up personal responsibility, product innovation and improvements in recycling.

School campuses are a new battleground in an increasingly bitter brawl over plastics, as groups like Vitale’s seek to improve the reputation of a material that has become infamous as an environmental menace. The efforts are partially funded by companies involved in or dependent on fossil fuel production, through donations and conference sponsorships. Plastics manufacturing involves large amounts of oil and natural gas. Some of these companies see plastics as an opportunity to continue growing as demand for gasoline and diesel dissipates amid the rise of electric vehicles.

Vitale’s group dispatches its “PlastiVan” program throughout the academic year, with its team of plastic evangelists talking up the wonders of polymers to young audiences. Once housed out of an actual van, the program has since grown into a sophisticated messaging and recruitment operation, visiting as many as 175 schools annually. In Northeast Texas, hundreds of Girl Scouts have been awarded a PlastiVan-sponsored merit badge.

Another industry ally working separate from PlastiVan, conservative advocacy group PragerU, provides public school teachers in at least five states a classroom video that assures students they should not feel guilty about using so much plastic because plastics actually help the environment — an assertion many environmental scientists would find absurd.

“This is a huge fight for the future of our kids,” said Margaret Galbraith, who coordinates a program in Port Washington, N.Y., with students working to ban single-use plastics from school cafeterias and older kids visiting elementary school classrooms to teach about the ills of plastic use. “The industry wants to lay the pollution problem on individual consumers; meanwhile, it is impossible for individuals to fix this. Plastic pollution is everywhere because of these companies. Recycling as a solution is a myth. It’s crazy to me that schools would let them come in to promote this false solution.”

Over the last 20 years, with recycling programs in full swing, global plastic waste doubled.

But public school students are encouraged not to worry about it in the pro-industry teachings recently approved for classroom use in Florida, Oklahoma, Arizona and Montana, as well as some Texas school districts. In those places, state officials greenlit PragerU videos and lesson plans aimed at providing students an “alternative to the dominant left-wing ideology in culture, media, and education.”

Much of the organization’s seed money came from Dan and Farris Wilks, billionaire brothers from Texas who made their fortune from fracking and run a church called the Assembly of Yahweh, where they have preached that climate change is God’s will. Among the PragerU videos targeted at public school students is a 10-minute cartoon about plastics.

In it, a child comes home from school stressed out because his math teacher is trying to enlist students in her crusade to get rid of all plastic on campus. “She really scared me,” the boy says. “If it’s so bad for the environment, why is it in almost everything?”

The boy and his sister travel back in time to meet Belgian chemist Leo Baekeland, who developed the first synthetic plastics. Baekeland persuades them that plastics are good for the environment, eliminating the need to kill endangered animals and deplete forests to get resources previously used to make everyday products.

The chemist is shocked to learn that people of the future are concerned about the amount of fossil fuels used in plastic production. “Fossil fuels are cheap and plentiful, thank goodness,” the scientist says. “So we don’t need to use living animals, and we can create items that improve the lives of everyone.”

The lessons taught by PlastiVan are more nuanced, acknowledging the scourge of plastic pollution but sharply diverging with environmental groups and many political leaders on how to address it. PlastiVan officials say they are the ones promoting realistic solutions.

“Science-based information which contradicts anti-plastics positions deserves inclusion and equal weight in these discussions,” Vitale said in an email. “We certainly want to empower students to look at all data and decide for themselves whether the fallacy of ‘we should ban ALL plastics’ is something that is truly possible.”

Environmental groups counter that banning all plastics has never been the goal. They accuse the industry of deliberately confusing consumers and students.

A representative from Braskem, a Brazilian petrochemical company — which has its logo emblazoned on Vitale’s lab coat — that provides major funding for the PlastiVan program, said in an email that the company’s interest is inspiring “the next generation of STEM leaders.” The company said providing an alternative to the anti-plastics messaging of environmental groups is not its motivation. Another sponsor, Husky, which makes injection molding systems for the plastics industry, said in a statement that “introducing young minds to the world of plastics education encourages them to think about how we can each take actions to move towards a circular economy.”

Other backers of the program include Chevron, DuPont and the Plastics Industry Association. Proceeds from industry conferences also help fund it, along with dues paid by individuals to the Society of Plastics Engineers.

The chemistry students who took part in a PlastiVan lesson Vitale taught recently at Warren Mott High School in the Detroit area took to Vitale’s narrative.

“It widens your perspective on plastics,” said Fateha Qureshi, a junior. “You’re told by the media a lot that plastics is a bad thing and how we should stop using it. She was talking about how it can be a good thing. When you learn more, you learn better things, too.”

The perspective was shared by fellow junior Syed Jamal. “I feel like these problems could be fixed if we made better use of the polluted plastic,” he said after the class.

At a Plastics Industry Association conference in the spring, Vitale highlighted how the PlastiVan program is able to collect up to 25,000 “data points” from students each year, which inform student perceptions of the industry and can be used to guide lesson plans. The program, she said at the Minneapolis event, enables tracking of where in the country anxiety about plastic pollution is highest.

“The anti-plastics people make people feel guilty,” Vitale said at the event, a recording of which was shared with The Washington Post by an attendee. “People don’t want to feel guilty, so they push it off on us. We have to fight back with stories of our own.”

Sometimes students are even recruited to help write those stories, like the recent graduate of a Milwaukee-area high school who in the spring penned an essay from the perspective of plastic trash.

“I’m not the bad guy here,” said the piece, which earned a cash prize from a local chapter of the Society of Plastics Engineers. “Have you seen what is happening to the trees, how about the earth’s crust from all that mining? I’m not the problem, the problem is humans. I’m important in all parts of their lives and people still throw me into rivers and lakes.”

The PlastiVan program is focused on the classroom, but its motto — “changing the perception of plastics, one classroom at a time” — makes clear the industry’s hope that the persuasion effort will resonate far beyond it at a time plastic companies are under siege.

The United Nations is pursuing a legally binding international treaty to end plastics pollution, with many nations pushing for limits on plastic production that are fiercely opposed by industry. In Congress, more than 140 lawmakers have sponsored legislation in recent years that would ban certain single-use plastics and place a moratorium on new factories.

It all has put an industry not accustomed to losing control of the narrative in a bind, said Judith Enck, a former regional administrator for the Environmental Protection Agency who is now the president of the advocacy group Beyond Plastics.

“This is an industry that has successfully confused people by putting a recycling logo on many plastic items that are not even recyclable,” she said. As the industry now promotes what it calls more advanced recycling technologies, such as chemical processes that melt down the materials and repurpose them into other products, it is facing unprecedented scrutiny from activists and regulators who are challenging its claims about sustainability and pointing out the industry’s history of overpromising and underdelivering on pollution mitigation.

“If [PlastiVan] really were an educational presentation, they would be talking about why it is impossible to achieve higher recycling rates because of the thousands of different chemicals used to make plastics and the many different colors and different polymers,” Enck said. “A teacher could be explaining to these students why so much of plastic is fundamentally not recyclable. Telling high school kids these problems can be solved by recycling more is disingenuous.”

Promoters of the industry-aligned education programs say they are providing a public service, often going into schools that are located in areas where the industry has a major presence — such as Detroit, where plastics have a big role in auto production — and inspiring local students to pursue the meaningful careers it offers.

Not everyone in these communities, though, is impressed. As Beyond Plastics recently prepared to lead journalists on a “toxics tour” of Port Arthur, Tex., a city dominated by petrochemical factories, some of the educators and activists who came along suggested a more balanced public school program would include bringing students on such a tour.

“What the plastics industry is doing here is not that different than what the tobacco industry used to do in schools,” said Robert Bullard, a professor of urban planning and environmental policy at Texas Southern University who is known as the father of the modern environmental justice movement. “They are exploiting an educational system that oftentimes embraces free materials and something that may have the appearance of rigor, but is really about industry peddling a message that their harmful product is good.”

My wife works on a project that tries to keep plastics out of the ocean and has told me repeatedly that no one really can comprehend how the bad the problem of plastic pollution is without seeing it for themselves, primarily in the developing world. All of these people involved with Plastivan or the PragerU poo poo (lol) should be ashamed, were they capable of feeling it.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

pantslesswithwolves posted:

"Hi, I'm actor Troy McClure. You might remember me from other educational films such as ''Lead Pipes: Your Friend and Mine' and 'Asbestos: The Coziest Insulator.'"

My wife works on a project that tries to keep plastics out of the ocean and has told me repeatedly that no one really can comprehend how the bad the problem of plastic pollution is without seeing it for themselves, primarily in the developing world. All of these people involved with Plastivan or the PragerU poo poo (lol) should be ashamed, were they capable of feeling it.

the book i've been reading helpfully goes over how this kept happening over and over, down to the 1940s having the same "here's some propaganda a video from industry interests that just fell out of the sky talking about how great (industry) is and how bad government and regulation is".

the fact this poo poo is even being allowed in schools is ridiculous. you might as well invite mr. marlboro in to tell you how great smoking is and how it improves test scores.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Fortunately everyone is consuming microplastics due to how they accumulate in the food supply, kind of like radioactive material. So while the problems may be more concentrated in the developing world, they will be felt to some degree everywhere. We need to outlaw single-use plastics yesterday except for specific purposes (Mostly whenever sterility is an absolute must)

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

psydude posted:

I meant more that he's maintaining his innocence.

He could be sat in front of a bank of tv screens playing evidence of his many crimes and with his eyes taped open, a la A Clockwork Orange, and that man would still be maintaining his innocence.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

How do you deal with someone so profoundly broken as that? They just don't operate in touch with any kind of reality as far as I can tell

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
what in the hell was he thinking doing this in Philadelphia

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1758971150309191806?t=lJGfzwxeebEmck8tTu6X5g&s=19

Biden campaign's statement: “Donald Trump showing up to hawk bootleg Off-Whites is the closest he’ll get to any Air Force Ones ever again for the rest of his life”

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

facialimpediment posted:

Biden campaign's statement: “Donald Trump showing up to hawk bootleg Off-Whites is the closest he’ll get to any Air Force Ones ever again for the rest of his life”

That's pretty loving sick

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

facialimpediment posted:

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1758971150309191806?t=lJGfzwxeebEmck8tTu6X5g&s=19

lol actually?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

facialimpediment posted:

:iceburn:

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Is that.... gold shoelaces?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Is that.... gold shoelaces?

those shoelaces gonna be ruined in like 5 seconds of wearing them, I mean that's how sneakers are made in general these days but the surface of those laces in particular are gonna disintegrate under any mechanical stress

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
People who collect the expensive shoes rarely wear them.

The sort of people who wear the expensive shoes and purses on the other hand often have enough money to cycle a fresh pair every day

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
gently caress that poo poo. Shoes are more comfortable after they’re broken in.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

People way too into fashion brands seem to be broke-asses more often than not

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

M_Gargantua posted:

People who collect the expensive shoes rarely wear them.

The sort of people who wear the expensive shoes and purses on the other hand often have enough money to cycle a fresh pair every day

The only person I knew who made a whole thing out of buying and wearing them was on welfare. I think the idea was he botted websites to snipe some before they sold out, flipped some, and burned the profit on keeping some pairs for himself. It was obnoxious because he worked for a moving company and would sometimes "forget" and wear them to work, and the other guy is trying to move furniture while this loving kid is trying to avoid scuffing his Yeezy Deathcons or whatever.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Zero VGS posted:

those shoelaces gonna be ruined in like 5 seconds of wearing them, I mean that's how sneakers are made in general these days but the surface of those laces in particular are gonna disintegrate under any mechanical stress

https://twitter.com/MarkAgee/status/1758977477219856861?t=JATXsAHukWIhwYaE9snPlQ&s=19

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Platystemon posted:

gently caress that poo poo. Shoes are more comfortable after they’re broken in.

these aren't for people who do real work, or do a lot of walking.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

To make things weirder, apparently the organizer and her husband are militant scientologists and they've donated over $30M to the organization. I'm not even sure if I can put that level of scientology into the same grifter circle, as they're the real weird ones with bankrolled security harassment squad-type stuff.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

pantslesswithwolves posted:

so lmao I work for one of the companies in this stupid plastivan project and I'm deeply ashamed of my insane ceo

I will say that more and more companies are getting onboard with recycled PET for their bottling which is great because you can do it infinitely, but as long as municipal recycling systems are poo poo plastics will be hugely wasteful.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

It was only a matter of time until the Militant Scientologists joined the fight to save our great Country

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Tiny Timbs posted:

People way too into fashion brands seem to be broke-asses more often than not

I dunno, Porsche drivers usually have money.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I’m a Porsche driver and I have no money. Porsche is the only super car that actually works without a shitload of maintenance. It’s the working man’s race car.

But also every car is a money sink. Just like stage rally cars and track day Miata’s.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
The idea that "improvements in recycling" alone will save us is a (deliberate) red herring. We know how to recycle plastic - but collection, sortation, washing, shredding, and recycling is expensive, and virgin plastic is cheap (thanks to all of the oil and gas we're sucking out of the ground). This is a regulatory issue - the status quo is the free market "solution."

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Plastic apologists make me so loving angry.
Like motherfucker, I'm not the one that decided to put soda and milk in plastic bottles, glass worked just fine!
Also, a lot of single use plastic medical doodads could 100% be made of glass or more recyclable materials, but that would cut into BD's bottom line, so you can't have that!

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

bengy81 posted:

Plastic apologists make me so loving angry.
Like motherfucker, I'm not the one that decided to put soda and milk in plastic bottles, glass worked just fine!
Also, a lot of single use plastic medical doodads could 100% be made of glass or more recyclable materials, but that would cut into BD's bottom line, so you can't have that!

Glass is a lot heavier and requires more energy to transport.

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
Put small concentrations of stable radioisotope ratio barcodes (1:2:1::N15:C13:D2 is Dow, 2:1:3 is Mitsubishi, etc) in every piece of plastic to make the origin traceable. Then collect samples of oceanic waste and beef-impregnating particles and allocate fines proportionately. It's in the stream of commerce, so the manufacturers can kiss your rear end.

(Or just container deposits but on ziplock bags and saran wrap and shampoo bottles)

I mean someone would actually have to want to fix the problem to turn this into law, but it would be fairly straightforward and I bet the boards and directors would suddenly be RADICALLY motivated to fix all of these ~unfixable~ problems.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Stultus Maximus posted:

Glass is a lot heavier and requires more energy to transport.

Welp guess we better keep filling the oceans with plastic waste then.

Or make a big push into nuclear and renewables, and electrify as much of the shipping chain as possible and try to reduce the impact of the transportation step. And accept that each 40' tractor trailer will effectively haul less since the packaging takes up more payload.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Arrath posted:

Welp guess we better keep filling the oceans with plastic waste then.

Or make a big push into nuclear and renewables, and electrify as much of the shipping chain as possible and try to reduce the impact of the transportation step. And accept that each 40' tractor trailer will effectively haul less since the packaging takes up more payload.

Or stop shipping poo poo across the country when it could be made more locally.

Welp no better just keep loading up the trucks because you need your Coke shipped in from Atlanta.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Stultus Maximus posted:

Or stop shipping poo poo across the country when it could be made more locally.

Welp no better just keep loading up the trucks because you need your Coke shipped in from Atlanta.

Centralization efficiencies mean that some things like small scale local production can create more pollution over shipping things in. Much as high pop density mega cities are generally greener since housing, feeding, distribution of all services, etc, is easier and more efficient.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

lightpole posted:

Centralization efficiencies mean that some things like small scale local production can create more pollution over shipping things in. Much as high pop density mega cities are generally greener since housing, feeding, distribution of all services, etc, is easier and more efficient.

Back when reusing glass bottles was the standard there were a lot more bottling plants in more places so you didn't have to ship so much mass so far.

Incidentally, when did the SA quote tag develop a expand/contract feature?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Back when reusing glass bottles was the standard there were a lot more bottling plants in more places so you didn't have to ship so much mass so far.

Incidentally, when did the SA quote tag develop a expand/contract feature?

A little under two days ago

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

As a prank I've deployed the new guy's code while he's sleeping. Let us know what you think and if you have any problems. I feel like sometimes users are going to accidentally collapse a quote when they want to view the post it's quoting instead - that's the tradeoff of putting the caret in the most convenient place.