Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

When were you.going to tell me I wrote this questline in a fugue state?

Speaking of overly dialogue-scripted questlines, does the Ranyon-ruhn questline still end with the player having playercontrols disabled and beaten to death or did they eventually remember to re-enable it

Lol I think that got fixed. there's a lot of questline tasks labeled things like "please change this"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necronormiecon
Mar 12, 2019

Farewell, sweet Nerevar. Better luck on your next incarnation.
Tamriel Rebuilt dev blog detailing the next expansion: https://www.tamriel-rebuilt.org/content/grasping-fortune-teaser

The second-biggest city in Morrowind after Almalexia.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I'm kind of surprised people bother with block at all. I'm usually just constant effect jumping around and trying to dodge enemies.

Because it's a passive skill it's effectively a 50% damage reduction

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Necronormiecon posted:

Tamriel Rebuilt dev blog detailing the next expansion: https://www.tamriel-rebuilt.org/content/grasping-fortune-teaser

Looks awesome.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Necronormiecon posted:

Tamriel Rebuilt is the most important human endeavor in our short history here on earth.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I have a problem with TR: every time I get in the Morrowind mood and want to finally dive into TR, they post an update on the next upcoming expansion that's still probably months away, and it makes me want to not sink time into the current version (which will, someday, become the old version!).

I realize this is a stupid problem.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Node posted:

Tamriel Rebuilt is the most important human endeavor in our short history here on earth.

thats right

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Drone posted:

I have a problem with TR: every time I get in the Morrowind mood and want to finally dive into TR, they post an update on the next upcoming expansion that's still probably months away, and it makes me want to not sink time into the current version (which will, someday, become the old version!).

No I'm the same

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Drone posted:

I'm the same but then I finally decided to just go for it and never regretted it for an instant. Just do it

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
I'm super psyched for performance that's

quote:

at least reasonable for most players.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

a7m2 posted:

I'm the same but then I finally decided to just go for it and never regretted it for an instant. Just do it

Seriously, it's been an amazing experience so far.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

ContinuityNewTimes posted:

I'm super psyched for performance that's

Hey I mean with an overclocked 5800x3d and a 3070ti I can run the game only slightly worse than Cyberpunk on comparable settings (with MGE and a whole bunch of mods)

Totally reasonable.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
I'm running a 4070ti and it still chokes on Balmora so I'm excited to see these optimised spaces

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Morrowind isn't really gpu bound. Also modern cpus sacrifice single core efficiency for multicore performance which is great for multitasking but bad at squeezing additional frames out of 20 year old software. Running tes3 on an old very overclocked dual core would probably outperform your "beast rig"

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Does TR have anything to offer me, a gamer who's only experienced like 10% of the base game quests and none of the expansions (i keep restarting)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you like the feeling of wandering into a place and thinking "wow that's neat" then it's got a lot of that.

It's generally a bit more adventurous than vanilla morrowind in its environment and dungeon design.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Jay Rust posted:

Does TR have anything to offer me, a gamer who's only experienced like 10% of the base game quests and none of the expansions (i keep restarting)

If your goal is to actually beat the main quest of Morrowind the TR is the opposite of helpful.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

mbt posted:

Morrowind isn't really gpu bound. Also modern cpus sacrifice single core efficiency for multicore performance which is great for multitasking but bad at squeezing additional frames out of 20 year old software. Running tes3 on an old very overclocked dual core would probably outperform your "beast rig"

Nah, you're full of poo poo.

Here are single-thread CPU-Z scores going back years (CPU-Z is a single iteration-based test, it's not comparing CPU features or anything): https://valid.x86.fr/bench/1

Roughly speaking modern CPUs are about twice as good as top-end dual-core ones in brute-force single-thread performance.

E: There was a period of some years when single-thread CPU performance mostly stagnated, but that is long, long gone. Certainly there are CPUs which sacrifice speed for core count (5900x and up in the same generation as the 5800x3d, especially the server ones), but single-thread performance has been growing massively, in CPU performance terms anyway.

Also it's more like a pretty mid slightly-aging rig, not at all a "beast rig". But the CPU in particular does pretty well in single-threaded applications.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Feb 20, 2024

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Private Speech posted:

Nah, you're full of poo poo.

Here are single-thread CPU-Z scores going back years (CPU-Z is a single iteration-based test, it's not comparing CPU features or anything): https://valid.x86.fr/bench/1

Roughly speaking modern CPUs are about twice as good as top-end dual-core ones in brute-force single-thread performance.

E: There was a period of some years when single-thread CPU performance mostly stagnated, but that is long, long gone. Certainly there are CPUs which sacrifice speed for core count (5900x and up in the same generation as the 5800x3d, especially the server ones), but single-thread performance has been growing massively, in CPU performance terms anyway.

Also it's more like a pretty mid slightly-aging rig, not at all a "beast rig". But the CPU in particular does pretty well in single-threaded applications.

ive actually tried it and found it to be the case actually, so uh go off i guess

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

yeah im gonna trust the domain x86.fr lmao

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

That was weirdly hostile

You will suffer greatly

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

mbt posted:

yeah im gonna trust the domain x86.fr lmao

It's linked from the main CPU-Z site: https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html (click on "validate")

CPU-Z is a well-known tool, but you do you.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I'm going to overclock my cmos as a compromise.
Just to be safe

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Private Speech posted:

It's linked from the main CPU-Z site: https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html (click on "validate")

CPU-Z is a well-known tool, but you do you.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

all i'm sayin is mgexe morrowind isnt just a black box you can throw updated hardware at and expect better results. regardless of cpuz numbers your 2024 nvidia driver updates arent going to magically translate into a performant almalexia

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

I don't think anyone is saying that, obviously the vast, vast majority of performance increases in terms of GPU and cores and new instructions gets lost unless you use OpenMW.

At the same time shader-heavy MGE-XE does benefit from better hardware. Aside from old DirectX driver woes there's nothing magic about Morrowind compared to other unoptimised computation loads.

e: Or to put it another way, I used to play MGE Morrowind on an overclocked intel e8600 core 2 duo (top-end single-thread CPU of 2008) and with some mid-tier GPU of the time (nvidia 460 I think? about 2013) and could run nowhere near as many mods or shaders as I can now. Sure if you take a mid-tier modern CPU you might not beat it, but better hardware does help.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Feb 20, 2024

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

mbt posted:

all i'm sayin is mgexe morrowind isnt just a black box you can throw updated hardware at and expect better results. regardless of cpuz numbers your 2024 nvidia driver updates arent going to magically translate into a performant almalexia

Idk that Almalexia was really much of a performer.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

On second thought "full of poo poo" was a bit harsh, sorry.

Wasn't supposed to be insulting.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
"Nah, you're full of poo poo" wasn't supposed to be insulting?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Eric the Mauve posted:

Should have gone with a professional "drop dead"

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

I might have spent too much time in YOSPOS.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Yeah my 5900x/4090 ate poo poo in modded Balmora last time I did a playthrough on MGE-XE, sat around 40 FPS or so.

Here's my own weird beef to contribute, TR for making you visit all the mainland Telvanni councilors during the Hortator quest; they couldn't at least wait until *all* the houses were implemented before throwing that little pile of busy work in?? :argh:

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

reminder to install dxvk if you run mgexe for a free 10-15 fps boost in some locations
https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/53685

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Eric the Mauve posted:

They might be Australian

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Is it really that bad? Like, I wouldn't say it to a random person on the street, but if I were hanging out with a friend, then yeah, I might say it to them.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

They might be Australian

From the UK (please do not mention saying oval office).

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014

Drone posted:

tr releases expansions as feature complete chunks of the map, new content doesn't obsolete old content, unless we're taking about redoing 2006 era releases

Like you can just patch your game in place when the new release drops and keep playing your save :shrug:

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Something about morrowind really does it for me, but man I wish the game had like slightly more alive feeling NPCs.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Something about morrowind really does it for me, but man I wish the game had like slightly more alive feeling NPCs.

There is literally an (old) mod called Morrowind Comes Alive, which adds hundreds of new NPCs and encounters to the game. I can't speak for its quality, though.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
it's less the density, which if anything I enjoy about morrowind, so much as the old-style stationary object NPCs. apparently the oblivion-onward thing of giving NPCs rudimentary schedules actually did a lot to make the world feel more alive. it's the one thing about morrowind that feels exceptionally dated to me, whereas most of the rest of the game holds up frankly quite well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

*hand at my holster waiting to draw the second someone mentions LGNPC*