Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Well don't just stand there awkwardly holding her neck, she needs help with the compiler!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

No fair using AI

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

I wanted to know more:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/APF_Imagination_Machine

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Even at the time the fancy of ad copy writers seemed to be painting a picture of a future adult world of mysteries that did not appeal at all, like "balancing your checkbook" (a thing you apparently do once and for all!) or "storing your recipes"

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

What problem is this thing solving?

dobbymoodge
Mar 8, 2005

Rappaport posted:

Amputation

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Rappaport posted:

flat hands

dobbymoodge
Mar 8, 2005

This one is for double-amputation: http://www.maltron.com/store/p24/Maltron_Head%2FMouth_Stick_Keyboard_-_US_English.html

Maltron keyboards are amazing, the Kinesis Advantage line is just an imitation Maltron. Still great tho

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

that looks so frustrating and tedious to use, I hope speech recognition got good enough people don't really need this anymore.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

By popular demand posted:

that looks so frustrating and tedious to use, I hope speech recognition got good enough people don't really need this anymore.

It works pretty well, except sometimes it can't handle strong accents. You can see it in iPhone transcriptions of voicemails.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

dobbymoodge posted:

This one is for double-amputation: http://www.maltron.com/store/p24/Maltron_Head%2FMouth_Stick_Keyboard_-_US_English.html

Maltron keyboards are amazing, the Kinesis Advantage line is just an imitation Maltron. Still great tho

The Kinesis Advantage makes a great movie prop. It's in the Bone Collector and one of the Men in Black movies.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

That's pretty cool, though as noted above, you'd think speech-to-text these days would be a better alternative. But back then? Nifty.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Rappaport posted:

That's pretty cool, though as noted above, you'd think speech-to-text these days would be a better alternative. But back then? Nifty.

Depends on what you are doing - there are enough technical tasks where you're either typing things speech to text doesn't handle at all (programming being an obvious example), or using a lot of keyboard shortcuts.

If I had just one hand, and someone at work had the bright idea to replace one of those keyboards with a microphone and software solution, I'd be looking into what sort of aids and accommodations would make it easier for a one-armed man to murder someone.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

WHAT UP MEMBERS OF THE COURT Y'ALL READY TO MAKE SOME NOISE
*scratching vinyl*

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pe157yBa00

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Computer viking posted:

Depends on what you are doing - there are enough technical tasks where you're either typing things speech to text doesn't handle at all (programming being an obvious example), or using a lot of keyboard shortcuts.

If I had just one hand, and someone at work had the bright idea to replace one of those keyboards with a microphone and software solution, I'd be looking into what sort of aids and accommodations would make it easier for a one-armed man to murder someone.

Fair enough!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/3five9/status/1758961589053743290?s=20

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

I love the weird world of tech company employee swag. Not necessarily the stuff they give away at trade shows or conferences, or the “we put the company logo on a hat!” sort of items that might be distributed at an all-hands, but the internal stuff that’s clearly a well-meaning attempt at recognition when “paying people more” is a ludicrous notion.

I once worked on a project to add QR code based login and ended up with a yoga mat with the project code name printed on it.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I have a mug and a hat with the Anaplan logo on, the latter of which I only ever put on because of how appalled my wife is by it.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

My most used winter coat is covered with initialisms and acronyms I don't even know the meaning of but supposedly worked on.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I still have an... I think Compuserve UK mug downstairs.

It's an awful mug because it kind of has a ridge around the bottom inside, and you can never get it clean.

One Nut Wonder
Mar 17, 2009
I still have my Firedog mouse pad from when I worked at Circuit City back in '06.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I have a Norsk Data bottle opener I found at a flea market, which is a treasure to an extremely small audience. :)

(Beyond that it's just University coffee mugs and ThermoFisher USB sticks.)

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
My oldest tech related swag is a Panasonic ruler from the 1983 NCC in Anaheim.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I have a very nice Windows 7 messenger bag I paid $8 for a thrift store.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
I've got these SGI mugs. Not weird merch, but I find the design of the one on the right to be pretty weird.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
My most recent goon Secret Santee has a strong dislike of MS Surface devices so, naturally, I threw in some brand new swag:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
I found a ROLM coffee cup at the thrift store not too long ago, it’s pretty rad!

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I fell all over myself to purchase an SSI keychain when I saw one at the like 2007 Gen-Con Auction. Sadly I am one of those people who actually uses collectables for their intended purpose so by 2009 it had faded to near-illegibility and the keychain connector part had snapped in half. BUT I STILL GOT IT

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Computer viking posted:

You can program with speech to text, I've seen videos of people doing it, it's just that you end up having to define weird little non-words for all the symbols and you end up sounding like a raving lunatic who's also choking on a fish bone.

Obviously the answer is to only code in Lisp because you'll only need to define special words for ( and ).

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Gromit posted:

I've got these SGI mugs. Not weird merch, but I find the design of the one on the right to be pretty weird.

To this day cannot fathom why SGI changed their logo. So cool.

Yes I recreated it in povray who didn't

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I have a ton of game and video card company swag from the late 90s/early 00s including some sweet Unreal, Bungie, MacSoft, Cyrix, Savage 3D, GT Interactive, and other shirts.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The coolest tech relic logo is clearly sun microsystems

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Every time I see that logo this plays in my head

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

When I was in high school, there was some kind of contest for students to build webpages about their school. I knew babby HTML, which in 1999, was good enough for my Geocities page. A teacher got me to enter the contest and I thought I was pretty decent, until we got up to the competition and the other students knew Shockwave.

I still have a Microsoft branded shirt in m t-shirt box. I can't find a picture of it online, so I might have to dig it out.

First time I ever used a digital camera was for that project. It used 3.5" floppy disks.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

While their main logo is very, well, "international business", I like how IBM still uses the bee from the silly "👁🐝M" rebus logo as their favicon.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

RC and Moon Pie posted:

First time I ever used a digital camera was for that project. It used 3.5" floppy disks.

Probably the Sony Mavica, great concept given everyone had a ton of disks around but I’m sure its write speed was its major flaw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Or that weird Panasonic one that used SuperDisks interchangeably with floppies, I had one. It was loving huge