Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Dumb question, sometimes I want my friends to join but sometimes I am playing with my S.O. who gets flustered with joiners, even friends. Is there anyway to play online with one other person but prevent other friends from dropping in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Kwolok posted:

Dumb question, sometimes I want my friends to join but sometimes I am playing with my S.O. who gets flustered with joiners, even friends. Is there anyway to play online with one other person but prevent other friends from dropping in?

Set the game to private and have no friends. EZ.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

JBP posted:

It's got three more shots on it, but once they run out you can't re-up from a supply pod.
It gets 1 shot per supply pod pack and 0 from world ammo drops.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

flashman posted:

So the connection issues might stick around for a while. I think I'll rebuy when the hype dies down if that's the case.

Is there a persistent world or w.e that I'll be missing out on?

not really

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

megane posted:

It’d be neat if the defense missions involved some normal SEAF troops as background cannon fodder. Like there could be a mission to help them hold a position, or secure a landing zone for them, or just have them getting mauled so you can wave at them as you run past to grab some samples

what do you mean you get 3 of them every mission

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Legit Businessman posted:

Set the game to private and have no friends. EZ.

There is no private, only public and friends only.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Kwolok posted:

There is no private, only public and friends only.

In that case either delete all your friends or kick people as they enter I guess. Sucks there's not an option for that

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Can probably go offline on steam friends after inviting your S.O.? Not sure if console versions have an offline mode that's similar.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

didn’t play helldivers at all, got into this with the boys tonight with no issues beyond a minor 5 minute queue tonight and cannot believe how much fun we had. i wish I could play more.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Have your SO host, if you two don't share the same pool of friends.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

You could also try setting your Steam status to invisible, if applicable.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

megane posted:

You could also try setting your Steam status to invisible, if applicable.

I have my steam profile set to private and that seems to work

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Need them to make paintjob skins for super destroyers asap. Can't truly bring freedom to the galaxy without a giant anime pinup lady painted on my hull.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Thanks to the goons who came through for a few games today. It was good to add a bunch of different people on Steam and play some games, nice to see some of you had your first fight against Automatons as well.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Anyone tried using grenade launchers against Chargers? They should count as explosive damage and therefore should shred the charger's rear end with the quickness. Just musing on this because TBH grenade launchers chew through elite mobs faster than the AC does, and that presumably would apply to the charger's weakpoint.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

toasterwarrior posted:

Anyone tried using grenade launchers against Chargers? They should count as explosive damage and therefore should shred the charger's rear end with the quickness. Just musing on this because TBH grenade launchers chew through elite mobs faster than the AC does, and that presumably would apply to the charger's weakpoint.

The nades bounce off the armour, but can shoot the ground underneath them. Like the AC it requires a bit of tricky shooting to get the unexposed weak points (people have said that 'behind the legs' are a good one?).

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I was scared of robots until I used the autocannon :angel:

After a successful 2 man game I hugged the host on his ship. Managed Democracy is beautiful.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I've managed to finally get in and do dailies but it seems like quickplay and public matches are completely dead, huh

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
how the gently caress have console gamers managed to still be using mics this loving terrible, after this many years

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

LazyMaybe posted:

how the gently caress have console gamers managed to still be using mics this loving terrible, after this many years

I blame Turtle Beach

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

LazyMaybe posted:

can you ggguys hhear me??? hellooo *washing machine noises in background*

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Anyone else having a harder time killing bile titans with a railgun? Felt like 2-3 overcharged shots to the head/mouth used to do it, but we were playing level 6/7 missions tonight and they were dying fuckin haaaaard. Like 5-6 shots not enough to kill them. Not sure if it has anything to do with them making 7-9 missions harder or not.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

last ship out baby let's go

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

God, the loving slugger owns.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

The Fattest PI posted:

Seems like the pace of the game is you cycle through your strategems whenever you see a big group/big enemy, and your primary/secondary weapon is just for the odd straggler who makes it through. Seems pointless to plunk at a dropship full of murderbots with your gun, but why would you if you have a strategem available. Most of them have a cooldown of a minute or two, might as well orbital strike it.

Later on strats also become super useful in just doing objectives without the rigamarole. Medium outpost? Eagle airstrike on the factories and you don't even need to get in shooting distance. Destroy a robot Sauron tower? Throw an orbital laser at it and move to the next objective. Bug breach? Napalm strike the hole and move on.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
sony let me hear my guy scream in japanese god drat it!!

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

hey mom its 420 posted:

can you ggguys hhear me??? hellooo *washing machine noises in background*

*3 separate smoke alarms chirping*

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I'm partial to screaming family member personally

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Ok so, Autocannon vs Charger - it's not nearly as painless or easy as the Railgun, but, if you tap any of its legs from behind, you can then kill that leg from any angle with a second (rarely third) shot

Note that the first shot from behind does not nuke enough armor to then kill it with a primary like the Railgun, but if you're quick with your aim, the double tap does drop it quickly

Also aim for the leg proper, not the joint

LazyMaybe posted:

Sony had the absolutely top quality, genius, brilliant, incredibly smart, super intelligent, big brained idea to put a loving mic in the controller on the PS5

It's absolute dogshit quality, and it's on by default in most games, and it sucks gigantic bug balls

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

megane posted:

It’d be neat if the defense missions involved some normal SEAF troops as background cannon fodder. Like there could be a mission to help them hold a position, or secure a landing zone for them, or just have them getting mauled so you can wave at them as you run past to grab some samples

You are the normal SEAF troops. That’s the joke.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
literally the game could not be any clearer that you are the disposable cannon fodder

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

idiotsavant posted:

Anyone else having a harder time killing bile titans with a railgun? Felt like 2-3 overcharged shots to the head/mouth used to do it, but we were playing level 6/7 missions tonight and they were dying fuckin haaaaard. Like 5-6 shots not enough to kill them. Not sure if it has anything to do with them making 7-9 missions harder or not.

We just throw all of our orbital strikes on them and they die

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Captain Oblivious posted:

You are the normal SEAF troops. That’s the joke.

But the tutorial guy said I was the best flag planter he'd ever seen :saddumb:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Any EU goon servers to join to helldive with? Assuming the server doesn't keep losing connection.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
Random fun fact of dubious use: The 500kg bomb does direct impact damage and can actually blow up objectives with it
https://i.imgur.com/vW6fs8w.mp4

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Kwolok posted:

Nuebot posted:

I have my steam profile set to private and that seems to work
Yeah I can confirm this. Someone on my friendslist has their Steam profile set to private and when I try to join via the in-game menu I get this:

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Herstory Begins Now posted:

literally the game could not be any clearer that you are the disposable cannon fodder

Just because we’re disposable idiots doesn’t mean there can’t be other, equally disposable idiots in slightly different uniforms! That’s what the rescuable scientists are, after all. You even get docked exactly 25 credits for getting them killed

megane fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Feb 18, 2024

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

megane posted:

Just because we’re disposable idiots doesn’t mean there can’t be other, equally disposable idiots in slightly different uniforms! That’s what the rescuable scientists are, after all. You even get docked exactly 25 credits for getting them killed

100%

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Someday matchmaking will work, someday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Is the eagle 500kg bomb a one-and-done for the mission sort of thing?