Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

silicone thrills posted:

lol losing my poo poo. jesus christ lobbyists need to be taken out back and shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

holy poo poo we live in the stupidest timeline

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

quote:

But “that’s not really the plastic’s fault,” said Vitale, chief executive of the Society of Plastics Engineers Foundation, a group of industry professionals. “That’s the fault of humanity.”

Plastics are a protected minority and its hosed up of you, idiot child, to suggest they're not

FORUMS USER 1135
Jan 14, 2004

big “guns don’t kill people, people kill people” energy there

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

plastic guns, but the bullets have seeds in them so you plant a tree every time you waste someone

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
the bit about the merit badges was the :kiss: on top lol, lmao

OIL PANIC
Dec 22, 2022

CAUTIONS
4. ... (If the battery is exhausted, the display of the liquid crystal will become vague and difficult to look at.)
7. Do not use volatile oils such as thinner or benzine and alcohol for wiping.
it’s everyone’s fault, so it’s your fault, so individual action is the only avenue to address this issue.
and and and, who can say what’s the ideal amount of plastics in the environment!?

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
we haven’t tried making organisms mostly plastic so who is to say if it won’t be better? might be better

might make more women CEOs? you wouldn’t want to stop a little girl from becoming CEO would you?

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
Classroom
An intense and passionate lesson by a plastic professional to install personal agency and responsibility in the youth. The bell rings.

"Its never been more important that you all do your part-"

He would have said "for the future of plastic!" If not for the intense and passionate lesson by the students.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:
Someone post the ocean temp graph I need it for a project

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

4d3d3d posted:

Here in Florida the schizophrenic hot-cold-hot-cold weather seems to be causing a lot of pollen to be around and my sinuses are wrecked unlike they've ever been. Anyone else experiencing this?

Been that way in the PNW too

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

lmao god drat

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

:vince:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

“If it’s so bad for the environment, why is it in almost everything?”

Well we can put that on humanity's tombstone.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

we noticed kids get freaked out when we tell them the planet is dying and humans are the ones killing it. So instead of doing that let's just teach them to consume and ignore it

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

a week ago it was in the mid 50’s almost all week and lol its 12 degrees outside and the ground is covered with snow but one week from now its gonna be 64

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

it’s dipping down! we’re saved!!

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
I mean, I don't ask for much but it would be nice for there to be enough time to fit in a nice little revolution before the climate and ecosystem collapse completely. Just a little one as a treat.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Scarabrae posted:

a week ago it was in the mid 50’s almost all week and lol its 12 degrees outside and the ground is covered with snow but one week from now its gonna be 64

correct, this is normal. Don't discuss it with your friends or coworkers

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Lmao we're going to hit a full year of record temperatures, and not by a small amount

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Confusedslight posted:

I mean, I don't ask for much but it would be nice for there to be enough time to fit in a nice little revolution before the climate and ecosystem collapse completely. Just a little one as a treat.

Capitalism falls the day before the world combusts like the ending of Knowing, but via climate collapse.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Cabbages and Kings posted:

if this thread isn't collectively listening to Mindful Solutionism off the new Aesop Rock album ya should be

Also the new New Model Army album is doomer as ever

u kno it fam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OGMamnKQUA

ai project: replace all crack references to fent

Communist Cop
Jun 29, 2023
https://twitter.com/LeonSimons8/status/1759199473429876769?t=WNrKnkbJ_ejrnGV3qR6FRA&s=19

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

:mediocre:

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
lmao atleast they're trying to have fun?

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.
Christ that's like an environmental form of shrinkflation. People will still pay for an outing on a strip of snow covered mud. Additional snow would be waste so what's the point in preserving that.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
People are definitely not going to accept the death of winter (and a lot of summer, too) activities for a long* time because there will still be some good years and plenty of good days during the bad years. The only thing you really need to convince yourself that it's all fine is a few days that are, if you squint a little bit, more or less how you remember they were supposed to be.

* long being highly relative and dependent on the resilience of rich economies and their ability to continue to be capable of providing treats for anyone but the absolute upper crust

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Paradoxish posted:

People are definitely not going to accept the death of winter (and a lot of summer, too) activities for a long* time because there will still be some good years and plenty of good days during the bad years. The only thing you really need to convince yourself that it's all fine is a few days that are, if you squint a little bit, more or less how you remember they were supposed to be.

This is exactly the psychology of a degenerative disease, not coincidentally

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Paradoxish posted:

* long being highly relative and dependent on the resilience of rich economies and their ability to continue to be capable of providing treats for anyone but the absolute upper crust

Don't worry, we'll have VR skiing and the like. Who needs the mountains anyways?

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

I hope after I die people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Paradoxish posted:

Baseline normalisation is a helluva thing.

Really weird to think that, long ago, for part of the year, the sky dropped Calippo Shots on the ground, but flavourless. And enough of them accumulated that one could traverse the blanket of icy coating. Some even paid for this as part of “sport”, a thing people did outside before The Event (DO NOT THINK OF THE EVENT).

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

on brand that people are more concerned about the death of winter sports than the death of countless other species.

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

Rauros posted:

on brand that people are more concerned about the death of winter sports than the death of all other species.

hockey is indoors I’ll be fine

OIL PANIC
Dec 22, 2022

CAUTIONS
4. ... (If the battery is exhausted, the display of the liquid crystal will become vague and difficult to look at.)
7. Do not use volatile oils such as thinner or benzine and alcohol for wiping.
93% of winter sports are viewed indoors

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Rauros posted:

on brand that people are more concerned about the death of winter sports than the death of countless other species.

You had me at 'brand' *gets out wallet*

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
The winter Olympics being in Salt Lake City in 2034 is deeply amusing given all the recent concern about the lake drying up and lake effect snow being replaced with arsenic dust

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

posting
e: needed to find this quote

HBar posted:

Mmm, time to eat a big bowl of perfectly healthy oatmeal as I often do and check the news and oh god dammit

quote:

A new EWG peer-reviewed study has found chlormequat, a little-known pesticide, in four out of five, or 80 percent, of people tested. The groundbreaking analysis of chlormequat in the bodies of people in the U.S. rings alarm bells, because the chemical is linked to reproductive and developmental problems in animal studies, suggesting the potential for similar harm to humans.

EWG’s research, published February 15 in the Journal of Exposure Science and Environmental Epidemiology, tested for the presence of chlormequat in urine collected from 96 people between 2017 and 2023. The chemical was found in the urine of 77 of them.

Our tests found higher levels and more frequent detections of chlormequat in the 2023 samples, compared to those from 2017 through 2022, which suggests consumer exposure to chlormequat could be on the rise.

Just as troubling, we detected the chemical in 92 percent of oat-based foods purchased in May 2023, including Quaker Oats and Cheerios. The fact that so many people are exposed raises concerns about its potential impact on public health, since animal studies link chlormequat to reduced fertility, harm to the reproductive system and altered fetal growth.

Environmental Protection Agency regulations allow the chemical to be used on ornamental plants only – not food crops – grown in the U.S. But its use is permitted on imported oats and other foods sold here. Many oats and oat products consumed in the U.S. come from Canada.

Chlormequat was not allowed on oats sold in the U.S. before 2018, when the Trump EPA gave first-time approval for some amount of the chemical on imported oats. The same administration in 2020 increased the allowable level. These regulatory changes might help explain why we’re seeing more frequent, higher detections of the chemical in Americans tested.

In April 2023, in response to a 2019 application submitted by chlormequat manufacturer Taminco, the Biden EPA proposed allowing the first-ever use of chlormequat on barley, oat, triticale and wheat grown in the U.S.

The supplemental table in the journal article gives some product-specific testing results, apparently I'm getting about 110-170 ppb of chlormequat in my Quaker Oats.

mawarannahr has issued a correction as of 00:35 on Feb 19, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

HBar posted:

Mmm, time to eat a big bowl of perfectly healthy oatmeal as I often do and check the news and oh god dammit

The supplemental table in the journal article gives some product-specific testing results, apparently I'm getting about 110-170 ppb of chlormequat in my Quaker Oats.

My wife has like a bowl of oatmel with nuts and berries for breakfast p much everyday lmao she linked me this late last week. Seriously what the gently caress when even "health" foods are just poison now.