Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Biplane posted:

Bae of Pigs would be a powerful username.

So powerful it's already taken

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Samovar posted:

Onto another 'rubbing it in' piece of history; :words:

I'm reminded of the (possibly apocryphal) story about Tito and Stalin. Uncle Joe got pissed off at Tito for various reasons, and tried to have him killed, because Stalin gonna Stalin. Anyway, the story goes that Tito eventually got bored with this and sent Stalin a letter: "Stop sending people to kill me. We’ve already captured five of them. If you don’t stop sending killers, I’ll send one to Moscow, and I won’t have to send a second."

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Strange how some schoolbooks tell murderous nazis came in all kinds of nationalities except for american

oh no there were tons of american nazis and they deserved to die

WendyO
Dec 2, 2007

Samovar posted:

Onto another 'rubbing it in' piece of history; the CIA is notorious for trying a number of times to kill Fidel Castro, but possibly the most humiliating failure was when they attempted to recruit Marita Lorenz, an ex-lover of Castro, to poison him.

Now, Marita had been treated pretty goddamn awfully by Castro, so the CIA thought she could be reliable (or they were drugging each other into drooling insensibility with MKUltra, who could say), so she was given poison pills to drop into a drink when she was to meet Castro again, face-to-face.

Castro, however, was slightly suspicious of her coming out of the blue, so was on guard when she met him. He managed to get her to admit that she was there to kill him and then, in a move that would make Ian Fleming go 'no, that's too ridiculous, no-one would believe that this would happen to Bond', she confessed that she loved him still, threw down the poisons and made passionate love to him. He then went on to preform his scheduled speech later that day, while she returned to the CIA to report mission failure.

I mean, it's one thing when your agents fail. It's another thing when they fail THAT spectacularly.

Sweet, any hot stories about how strong Hitler's dick game was?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Whooping Crabs posted:

So powerful it's already taken

Can't believe someone stole my idea retroactively

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

WendyO posted:

Sorry about your grandpa's slaves.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Carthag Tuek posted:

"[...] mountain woman" on page 33, Pocahontas?

e: or maybe not if its only about the revolution

I can't find a translation and know no Japanese, but if it's about a mountain woman in the American Revolution, it's possibly Nancy Hart.

Hart is the only Georgia county named for a woman and one of not that many nationwide.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Peanut President posted:

oh no there were tons of american nazis and they deserved to die

yeah but we don't learn about how much Americans loved fascism in school because it doesn't fit with our national self-mythologizing as the heroes of WWII and the freedom-loving good guys of the world

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

WendyO posted:

Hitler had a tiny, deformed penis and got injections of bull semen as a treatment of his inadequacy.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

WendyO posted:

Comparing Castro to Hitler feels like comparing the Killdozer guy to Timothy McVeigh.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

FreudianSlippers posted:

Comparing Castro to Hitler feels like comparing the Killdozer guy to Timothy McVeigh.

Castro was a psycho who invented grievances against him committed by a conspiracy headed by his local Catholic church?

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup

Biplane posted:

Bae of Pigs would be a powerful username.

More powerful than you can imagine.

Guantanamo bae is still available I think.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

BAE OF PIGS posted:

Guantanamo bae is still available I think.
The soccer song?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

BAE OF PIGS posted:

:stare:

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
Get BioEnchanted in here, we finally found their match!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

In 1673 a convent in the italina city Reggio burned down. The church investigated it and it turns out that the responsible was Giovanna Monsolino and her sister Anna. they were fed up with being nuns and held a vote about weather or not they should burn it down. As it turns out the majority agreed with the sisters and set the convent on fire.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Alhazred posted:

In 1673 a convent in the italina city Reggio burned down. The church investigated it and it turns out that the responsible was Giovanna Monsolino and her sister Anna. they were fed up with being nuns and held a vote about weather or not they should burn it down. As it turns out the majority agreed with the sisters and set the convent on fire.

What was the next thing they were planning to do? Arrest a man for enjoying a succulent, Cathay meal?

Offler
Mar 27, 2010
Well over a century after the Reformation, it was decided to send a ship to the Greenland settlement to inform them they were no longer catholic. When the ship arrived, they found no Scandinavians to share this news with as the settlement had died out, and if any of the Scandis had survived their descendants were living among the Inuit now.

This must have been posthumously embarrassing for the last couple of bishops of Greenland, who kept getting appointed even though they weren't able to get there. Apparently they mostly hung around in Bergen asking if any of the ships were heading to Greenland. Being bishop to a bunch of non-existing Scandinavians probably doesn't bring a lot of cred in the afterlife.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

The Kalaallit in Greenland is the majority of people there and they are a part of inuit peoples, but they are apart from the Inuit peoples of Canada, Alaska et al. English, is an advanced art to translate

ThisIsJohnWayne has a new favorite as of 23:27 on Feb 20, 2024

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Offler posted:

Well over a century after the Reformation, it was decided to send a ship to the Greenland settlement to inform them they were no longer catholic. When the ship arrived, they found no Scandinavians to share this news with as the settlement had died out, and if any of the Scandis had survived their descendants were living among the Inuit now.

And then thousands died of the diseases that they brought with them.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Ah, a classic

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The epidemic was just apocalyptic. 4000 of a population of 12 000 died of smallpox. It was so bad that even the bishop, Hans Egede, realized that he had hosed up. He wrote that he believed he had come with salvation but that in reality all he had brought was death and destruction.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Was his response something along the lines of him giving up his position and critiquing the institutions that established this authority? ...or did he somehow managed to rationalize him keeping his power and not letting this rampant death toll effect him?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Samovar posted:

Was his response something along the lines of him giving up his position and critiquing the institutions that established this authority? ...or did he somehow managed to rationalize him keeping his power and not letting this rampant death toll effect him?

So-called Christians are really big on forgiveness, when it's for themselves.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Samovar posted:

What does your heart tell you?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

After feeling bad about it for a while he started to educate new missionaries he could send to Greenland.

QR Code Geass
Oct 25, 2023

Alaois posted:

Castro was a psycho who invented grievances against him committed by a conspiracy headed by his local Catholic church?

Sorry did he murder millions of undesirables?

Hitler comparison is really weak.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

So, here's a couple of historical cases that hopefully won't have people enacting Godwin on me - related in that they resulted in British legal code changing, and that they both involved cases of mistaken identity.

The first, and saddest, has to involve Adolf Beck. Born in Norway in the 1840s, Beck led a rather unorthodox life, involving going back-and-forth between Europe and South America, doing all sorts of jobs and the like. But by 1885, he was in England, and in poverty due to a poor investment. Despite his poor financial conditions, he tried to maintain appearances, and dressed slightly better than one would expect.

Then, in 1895, his journey into Hell began. He was accosted in the street by a woman who accused him of swindling her out of her jewelry. Having nothing to do with this, he brushed her off but, was forced to deal with the police when the lady in question demanded his arrest. Said he was a man who called himself 'Lord Willoughby', who borrowed jewelry from her on pretense of having their measurements recorded so as to get better jewelry and leaving bad cheques as collateral.

The police checked their records, and found complaints from a number of women about a man who went by the name Lord Willoughby, who used a similar method of fraud. Beck was placed in a lineup in front of these victims, and was identified by them as the swindler, Lord Willoughby.

Beck was promptly charged, with punitives being added on the assumption that he was actually a 'John Smith' who had been arrested and imprisoned for five years... for swindling women out of their jewelry using bad cheques under the name Lord Willoughby. After his release, Smith disappeared, and it was given that Beck and Smith were the one and the same, especially since Beck was formally identified as Smith by one of the officers who had arrested 'John Smith' at Beck's hearing.

So he went to trial. Now, the defense rested on the basic argument that Beck had letters of his time in South America, at the time that 'John Smith' was about defrauding women in the U.K. If the handwriting expert compared handwriting from this current situation in '94-95 to the Smith case of '77 and claimed they were the same, they could bring about witnesses stating that Beck was in South America at that time. So in a case of 'witch-ducking' logic, the prosecutor got the expert to state that the handwriting samples given by Beck in '94-95 were in a disguised hand. Yes, the fact that the handwriting DIDN'T match, reasoned the prosecutor, meant that Smith and Beck were one and the same.

And so, Beck was imprisoned. And remained in prison for six years, despite the case being revisited in 1898, and it being revealed that Smith was circumcized, while Beck was not. This was still not deemed sufficient evidence, in light of the eyewitness identification. Beck was paroled in 1901 for good behaviour...

...then in 1904, a woman complained to police that a distinguished looking gentleman, 'accidently' bumped into her and, in the midst of being charmingly apologetic, stole her jewelry. The cop assigned to the case knew about Beck's 'criminal' history and set a trap, whereby he had the woman publicly accuse Beck of defrauding her. Beck responded (understandably, by now) by fleeing the scene, which was taken as evidence of guilt. He was again brought to trial and, with the help of five eyewitnesses, was found guilty once more. However, the judge postponed sentencing, having doubts about the case.

Meanwhile, in a jail cell elsewhere, a man was being currently held for trying to pawn some rings he had managed to swindle from some ladies. A policeman, familiar with Beck's case in the past and in the present, decided to investigate and found a man who, despite being slightly older than Beck, met the physical description given of Beck in official records. He was brought to the attention of Scotland Yard. Three of the eyewitnesses in the most recent case identified the NEW man as the man who had victimized them. Other women involved in the older case were brought forward identifying this new man as the ACTUAL criminal (as well as John Smith's landlord) and the prisoner confessed - he was actually John Smith, and had been living free all the time in which Beck had been imprisoned.

Beck was released from custody and given compensation of around half a million quid in today's money (not that it helped much, he died five years later, riddled with illness), and in the resulting public furor, this meant that eyewitness accounts in British law were no longer given the value in prosecution as they once had.

The second case, which is much more amusing and shorter, involves the lamentable UK politician John Stonehouse.

Now, Stonehouse was a Labour politician during the 60s and 70s and his career isn't of much importance (including him acting as a spy for Czechoslovakia) until his economics problems in 1974 forced him to act desperately. His plan? To fake his own death.

He went to Miami, took off his clothes, and went into the ocean, in order to give the idea that he drowned and was lost at sea. While obituaries were being written, he was off to his new life in Australia. He began transferring what money he had to the banks in his new home, but him acting suspiciously, and using a number of aliases while doing so, brought the attention of the police upon him. One day, after coming home from a financial trip in Denmark, he was nabbed by the cops and accused of having a false identity, and that he was ACTUALLY... Lord Lucan, of homicide infamy.

Thankfully, he was identified as Stonewall, and extradited to the UK. And, this is harder for me to check on-line, but apparently because he took so long in his closing remarks, the law changed so as to provide a limit to how long a person is permitted to give closing statements in their defence.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I can't find a translation and know no Japanese, but if it's about a mountain woman in the American Revolution, it's possibly Nancy Hart.

Hart is the only Georgia county named for a woman and one of not that many nationwide.

i was also thinking of the feather/leaf outfit she's wearing, could be what 1800s Japanese thought Native Americans wore

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Samovar posted:

So, here's a couple of historical cases that hopefully won't have people enacting Godwin on me - related in that they resulted in British legal code changing, and that they both involved cases of mistaken identity.

wow that poor guy lol, also top notch work by the fuzz there

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
The most recent common ancestor of every European monarch, as well as every defunct European monarchy and every major claimant, died in 1711.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

It was me, I did it. :evilbuddy:

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry

Skios posted:

The most recent common ancestor of every European monarch, as well as every defunct European monarchy and every major claimant, died in 1711.

Who was it? With these things it’s always either a scullery maid or god-emperor

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

meatbag posted:

Tewoflos (Ge'ez: ቴዎፍሎስ), throne name Walda Anbasa (Ge'ez: ወልደ አንበሳ, died 14 October 1711), was Emperor of Ethiopia from 1 July 1708 to 14 October 1711, and a member of the Solomonic dynasty. He was the brother of Iyasu I, and one of five sons of Yohannes I.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

meatbag posted:

Who was it? With these things it’s always a scullery maid and a god-emperor

Why not both?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

More an etymological tidbit as opposed to purely historical, but it's well-known that a lot of insults about a person's intelligence, e.g. moron, fool, dullard, etc. originally refer to people with developmental disabilities (if that is the correct term).

Yet possibly the most used insult, idiot, while it has been used for that purpose, did not originally mean it. It came from the Greek idiotes, meaning a private person (derived from idios = own/private). Hence the word idiosyncratic.

How did it make this leap? Apparently during the time of the democratisation of Athens. Cause when you had people (well, free men, anyway) who refused to interact with this new form of 'public'-run government, a special term of derision was applied to them, which quickly became associated with said people being ignorant of their duties and of their society.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

meatbag posted:

Apparently it was Johan Willem Friso von Nassau-Dietz until 2022. He used to have a Wikipedia page listing all the ways his descendants are linked to current royal families, but it has since been deleted. This is the last version of the article.

With the death of Elizabeth II, the most recent common ancestor became Louis IX, Landgrave of Hesse-Darmstadt. Elizabeth II wasn't descended from him, but Charles is, via his father.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

QR Code Geass posted:

Sorry did he murder millions of undesirables?

Hitler comparison is really weak.

no i'm talking about the killdozer guy lol

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
In 1900 The Netherlands passed its first law limiting child labour and introducing mandatory education up to twelve years old, and it's all thanks to a horse. When the law came up to a vote, it was incredibly close. In the end it passed with a 50-49 majority in parliament. A 50-50 tie would have meant the law hadn't passed. It was 49 votes against because Baron Francis David Schimmelpenninck was thrown from his horse on his way to parliament, causing him to miss the vote. It introduced a new proverb to the Dutch language: "Het paard is verstandiger dan de meester." (The horse has more common sense than the master).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

cool freckles, thought of child labor & threw the baron