Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
One swift kick and the whole rotten structure comes tumbling down, apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
My callsign is Tentacle Monster, has it been taken yet?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You’d think they’d have rules for using a common call sign like Adolf

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

Slava-Oh: The Story Of Ukraini.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Orange Devil posted:

My favorite political-identity development going on right now is in France, in that France is always presented as indivisible, including all the overseas parts, except France is currently discussing going from Jus Soli to Jus Sanguinis for Mayotte because of immigration.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2024/2/14/why-is-france-revoking-birthright-citizenship-in-mayotte

Not so indivisible after all, honhonhon?

The British did this with the West Indies in the 60's.

I know people tease me about this poo poo, but it's a betrayal of the Empire (and empire colonial français I suppose) and all that it stood for* to do something like this after the sacrifices that had been made for both.

To give just some few examples,

The West Indies Regiment won battle honours at Ypres, and fought in 3 theatres.

A generation later, the King's African Rifles liberated Burma.

In the Second World War, Metropolitan France was liberated mostly by Senegalese and Algerian troops.

During the fall of France, Germans shot them out of hand when they were captured.

Two thirds of French troops in Indochina were Colonial troops, often up to three quarters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3PRNAJsdqM

C'est nous les Africains
Qui revenons de loin,
Nous venons des colonies
Pour sauver la Patrie (pour défendre le pays)
Nous avons tout quitté
Parents, gourbis, foyers
Et nous gardons au cœur
Une invincible ardeur
Car nous voulons porter haut et fier
Le beau drapeau de notre France entière
Et si quelqu'un venait à y toucher,
Nous serions là pour mourir à ses pieds
Battez tambours, à nos amours,
Pour le Pays, pour la Patrie, mourir au loin
C'est nous les Africains !

To fail to live up to the promise of an imperial family after blood had been spilled... what is a country worth if it does not honour its liberators? "We come from the colonies, To save the Fatherland, We left everything...Because we want to wear it high and proud, The beautiful flag of our whole France".

France entière, the hexagon, is worthless, if the sacrifices made in its name have no meaning. French citizenship is worthless if it is closed off to people who fought and died as Frenchmen for France. Give away Alsace-Moselle, give away Nice, give away Grenoble and Toulon. If French citizenship should retract, so should her borders. The country isn't worth the blood spilled to extend them.

* Again, a point of disagreement with C-SPAM regulars

DJJIB-DJDCT has issued a correction as of 17:05 on Feb 18, 2024

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

In the Second World War, Metropolitan France was liberated mostly by Senegalese and Algerian troops.

France entière, the hexagon, is worthless, if the sacrifices made in its name have no meaning. French citizenship is worthless if it is closed off to people who fought and died as Frenchmen for France. Give away Alsace-Moselle, give away Nice, give away Grenoble and Toulon. If French citizenship should retract, so should her borders. The country isn't worth the blood spilled to extend them.

You can't say this without saying this:

https://libcom.org/article/whitewashing-french-forces-liberation-paris-steven-johns

The BBC uncovered documents revealing that black colonial soldiers, who made up the majority of General De Gaulle’s Free French army were removed from the unit that led the Allied recapture of the city.

Eisenhower's Chief of Staff, Major General Walter Bedell Smith, wrote in a confidential memo:
It is more desirable that the division mentioned above consist of white personnel.
This would indicate the Second Armoured Division, which with only one fourth native personnel, is the only French division operationally available that could be made one hundred percent white.

In late November, 1944, around 1300 former Senegalese servicemen who had been prisoners of war in Europe and had been returned home protested against poor treatment and lack of pay. Dozens of them were massacred by French troops, and some of the survivors were subsequently jailed for 10 years. To add insult to injury, their pensions were frozen in 1959.

We keep telling you FF, you can't seperate the racism from the imperialism.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
How do the British deal with birthright? Do they use BNO passport which is like a.. half citizenship?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

stephenthinkpad posted:

How do the British deal with birthright? Do they use BNO passport which is like a.. half citizenship?

Start here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windrush_scandal

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/SoozieCuzie/status/1759027436774179307

Oh so NOW it doesn't matter if the head of an organization is Jewish

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

What if Hitler was Jewish? It’s thought provoking questions like these that start a conversation. Will you join me?

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Orange Devil posted:

We keep telling you FF, you can't seperate the racism from the imperialism.

Well, I can, but if other people fell asleep during their indoc on Canadian values in week 2 of basic... 💅

DJJIB-DJDCT has issued a correction as of 17:41 on Feb 18, 2024

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

This is how we know he's done if he's only getting to meet with nobodies in the US.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Well, I can, but if other people fell asleep during their indoc on Canadian values in week 2 of basic... 💅

Canadian values would be nice.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Oh in other news it's looking increasingly likely that Rutte is going to become the new NATO SecGen.

So let me spread this little tidbit about his history for you all:

quote:

In 2003, as State Secretary, Rutte advised municipalities to check, exceptionally, Somali residents for social assistance fraud, after some Somalis working in England were also found to receive social assistance benefits in the Netherlands. A Somali man entitled to benefits was stopped by social investigators and checked for fraud on the basis of his external characteristics, after which he refused the investigators access to his home. The Municipal Executive (College van burgemeester en wethouders) of Haarlem decided to withdraw the right of the man to social benefits. He disagreed with this and his appeal was upheld by the administrative judge. The court ruled that "an investigation aimed exclusively at persons of Somali descent is discriminatory" and contrary to the Constitution because this distinction is "discrimination based on race". Rutte rejected the criticism and stated that a change in the law would then be necessary to be able to combat targeted fraud.[23][24][25]

It's worded very vaguely on Wikipedia (wonder why...) but long story short, Rutte was convicted by a court for racial discrimination.

He then went on to become Prime Minister after that. One of the legacies of which is the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_childcare_benefits_scandal. A large component of which is: "Investigators have subsequently described the working procedure of the Tax and Customs Administration as "discriminatory" against parents with foreign backgrounds, "

Orange Devil has issued a correction as of 17:44 on Feb 18, 2024

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Well this is a problem as it means :freeland: will probably take over the LPC leadership.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

fizziester posted:

Source: Guardian UK

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/feb/17/volodymyr-zelenskiy-pleads-for-more-arms-as-frontline-ukrainian-city-falls

Volodymyr Zelenskiy pleads for more arms as frontline Ukrainian city falls
Shaun Walker in Dnipro, Patrick Wintour in Munich and Andrew Roth
Sat 17 Feb 2024 19.25 GMT

... Soldiers involved in the retreat painted a chaotic picture of risky and terrifying withdrawal, in which they were sometimes forced to leave wounded behind. A top army commander wrote on the messaging service Telegram that “a certain number of Ukrainian servicemen” were taken prisoner during the retreat.

Viktor Biliak, a soldier with the 110th Brigade, described earlier in the week how he and others had left a garrison in the south of Avdiivka. “There was zero visibility outside,” he wrote on Instagram. “It was just plain survival. A kilometre across a field. A group of blind cats led by a drone. Enemy artillery. The road to Avdiivka is littered with our corpses.

He should've saved the ones he was given instead of selling them on the black market.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

gradenko_2000 posted:

Adolf 1-5, come in Adolf 1-5, this is Hentai Actual

lmao

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

Adolf 1-5, come in Adolf 1-5, this is Hentai Actual

AH for HA.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What happened to the frosted flake handle

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

The credulity of western journos actually gives me a headache. Have you met anyone named Adolf born after 1940?

It's like saying your callsign is "Napoleon" but the journalist assuming it had no connection to the Emperor of France.

e: The same goes for any vaguely "Viking" or "Norse" name in a country that is both Slavic and has been Christian for over a thousand years, but that's harder to pin people on because there's that veil of plausible deniability. Western journalists and academics will twist themselves into insane knots to characterize the neopagan thing as an authentic religious movement, somehow.

DJJIB-DJDCT has issued a correction as of 17:50 on Feb 18, 2024

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

white supremacist name their kids adolf in the USA from time to time but usually a court will change it.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Orange Devil posted:

Oh in other news it's looking increasingly likely that Rutte is going to become the new NATO SecGen.

So let me spread this little tidbit about his history for you all:

It's worded very vaguely on Wikipedia (wonder why...) but long story short, Rutte was convicted by a court for racial discrimination.

He then went on to become Prime Minister after that. One of the legacies of which is the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_childcare_benefits_scandal. A large component of which is: "Investigators have subsequently described the working procedure of the Tax and Customs Administration as "discriminatory" against parents with foreign backgrounds, "

Lol:

quote:

In January 2021, protests began in response to alleged police brutality, economic hardship and the COVID-19 pandemic. On 25 July 2021, Saied dismissed the parliament and Prime Minister Hichem Mechichi, executing a successful self-coup. Since then, Saied oversaw the dismissal of the judiciary and arrest of politicians. He ruled by decree until he was successful in passing a new constitution which granted him more powers and called snap legislative elections which resulted in a record low turnout.

Weird, I thought the EU was all about freedom and democracy...

Edit: also thread favs von der Leyen & Meloni

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

euphronius posted:

Lloyd's of London would not cover transit of IP thread for the duration of the conflict.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

euphronius posted:

new callsign

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

e: The same goes for any vaguely "Viking" or "Norse" name in a country that is both Slavic and has been Christian for over a thousand years, but that's harder to pin people on because there's that veil of plausible deniability.

Norse Code

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

The credulity of western journos actually gives me a headache. Have you met anyone named Adolf born after 1940?

It's like saying your callsign is "Napoleon" but the journalist assuming it had no connection to the Emperor of France.

e: The same goes for any vaguely "Viking" or "Norse" name in a country that is both Slavic and has been Christian for over a thousand years, but that's harder to pin people on because there's that veil of plausible deniability. Western journalists and academics will twist themselves into insane knots to characterize the neopagan thing as an authentic religious movement, somehow.

The Butcher of Paris was also named Adolf... it's just a name with bad vibes.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Lloyd's of London would not cover transit of IP thread for the duration of the conflict.

AA+ is still a good poster rating!

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

sullat posted:

The Butcher of Paris was also named Adolf... it's just a name with bad vibes.

Adolph is cool right?

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Most people only know the delicious multi-layered French pastry

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

France entière, the hexagon, is worthless

you could just have stopped here, you know

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

I wavered over finding something in the QR&O that might address an enlisted guy that had a giant yggdrasil tattoo on his chest and was a huge metal fan, but there was no smoking gun. Ditto the guy with knuckle and neck tattoos (before they were allowed) but had been granted some sort of waiver.

Idk, I feel like if there's no interest in looking into this stuff in western militaries, nobody is going to bat an eye at the Ukrainians.

e: I don't want you to think I was looking for reasons to crack down on people, and I understand "boys will be boys" and "racism is as racism does", but it's enough to raise an eyebrow, and don't we want to be above reproach? Idk, I go back and forth on that.

ee: It was a different sort of problem (or perceived problem), but when I said that the course officer having a female candidate come by his office to help him file late into the night looked bad, even if* nothing inappropriate was happening, and you shouldn't have a closed door with subordinates of the opposite sex after working hours, I got no support, so I don't know what the gently caress we're doing here.

If nothing else when you're running a course you should treat all candidates equally and they should have equal access to you, so that you're perceived as being fair and unbiased in your dealings with them.

*and I mean, again - no smoking gun, but for Christ's sake it looks bad, doesn't it?

DJJIB-DJDCT has issued a correction as of 18:04 on Feb 18, 2024

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

mawarannahr posted:

Adolph is cool right?

It's a name used by people who lost. We only want winners.

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

i only know one person who uses this emoji

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Xaris posted:

maybe zelensky is very busy planning a new 9/11 to blow up the new WTC or the met and blame it on russia so latvia and finland will join the war...? that'd be a good strategy

dont be ridiculous zelensky isnt that smart

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

mawarannahr posted:

Adolph is cool right?

The Butcher of Paris, the Hangman of the Commune, the Executioner of the Working Class? That guy?

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

During the war prep reporting the nazis had a good deal of fun making the reporters repeat and publish their fun little in-words and euphemisms and expressions, like "physically remove" instead of genocide and so on, and I still wonder what sort of person listens to a guy talking about how he's going to "physically remove" the Russians and homosexuals and Jews and browns and just goes "yeah, this is fine." and while I know that humans beings are weird and complex and I can witness it, I can't understand it.

Although maybe the Napoleon guy is pro European Union, just the good one, from 1812.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I'd believe a demolitionist with a "Napoleon" callsign was just referencing Napoleon Dynamite.

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

euphronius posted:

You’d think they’d have rules for using a common call sign like Adolf

You stand in the middle of the new Ukrainian fortress city, you open your coms and call out "Adolf?"

what you hear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEe5KvqCIY0&t=119s

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

sullat posted:

The Butcher of Paris, the Hangman of the Commune, the Executioner of the Working Class? That guy?

some of Adolph Reed's actions are problematic, to be sure,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

euphronius posted:

Harris is 5’ 2”

I swear Zelensky is getting shorter. I don't recall him being a manlet in Feb. 2022