Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Copying features from Elon Musk's X.com: The Everything App, I see

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Tiny Timbs posted:

Copying features from Elon Musk's X.com: The Everything App, I see

Excuse you, Elon copied it from us. :v:

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

McNally posted:

We need to form a PAC to cash in on the grift. We'll even be able to say that 100% of what we take in goes to vets.

Fraudulent vet charities? What's next, we do bluegrass Radiohead covers and open a microbrewery? What year is this?

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

GD_American posted:

Fraudulent vet charities? What's next, we do bluegrass Radiohead covers and open a microbrewery? What year is this?

We need to sell coffee too.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

GD_American posted:

McNally’s Musket Cleaner and Beard Oil- infused with hops and CBD.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

pantslesswithwolves posted:

"Hi, I'm actor Troy McClure. You might remember me from other educational films such as ''Lead Pipes: Your Friend and Mine' and 'Asbestos: The Coziest Insulator.'"

https://archive.is/QKqL8

My wife works on a project that tries to keep plastics out of the ocean and has told me repeatedly that no one really can comprehend how the bad the problem of plastic pollution is without seeing it for themselves, primarily in the developing world. All of these people involved with Plastivan or the PragerU poo poo (lol) should be ashamed, were they capable of feeling it.

I'm real glad they're letting those PragerU motherfuckers in schools. Also nice to see the good old "left-wing ideology in culture, media, and education.” just being actual, unbiased facts again.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Discussion Quorum posted:

The idea that "improvements in recycling" alone will save us is a (deliberate) red herring. We know how to recycle plastic - but collection, sortation, washing, shredding, and recycling is expensive, and virgin plastic is cheap (thanks to all of the oil and gas we're sucking out of the ground). This is a regulatory issue - the status quo is the free market "solution."

Germany has the highest recycling efficiency in the world. The amount of sorting and rule following required to achieve it is just something I could never imagine Americans or Canadians doing on a large scale. And even then, the efficiency is still only about 50%.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
That is how the weak international students are weeded out. Those who survive the pressure of every single person behind them at the supermarket cashier judging their inefficient packing order, must brave the experience of knowing they were responsible for the trash collectors refusing to collect a bin (there was Restmüll in the Plastikmülltonne), causing a 120€ bill for the entire building (10 households, the other 9 know it was the new student who just moved in).

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

And God forbid you attempt to recycle your glass on Sonntag.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Loophole- the American E-4 that lives offpost but just throws his trashbags in the back of his El Camino to bring on base when he heads to work.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

GD_American posted:

Loophole- the American E-4 that lives offpost but just throws his trashbags in the back of his El Camino to bring on base when he heads to work.

I did this. Ain’t nobody got time for German trash laws.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Saul Kain posted:

I did this. Ain’t nobody got time for German trash laws.

And this is how we run out of time

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

And this is how we run out of time

Sorry folks, the bags of trash I dumped on post in the early aughts are what put us over the edge.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Saul Kain posted:

Sorry folks, the bags of trash I dumped on post in the early aughts are what put us over the edge.

You did it yesterday you do it today and you plan to do it tomorrow and the "doom posters" should shut the gently caress up, is that the gist of it?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

You did it yesterday you do it today and you plan to do it tomorrow and the "doom posters" should shut the gently caress up, is that the gist of it?

I think the gist is more that blaming individual humans for climate change or plastic problems is an industry and gov leadership ploy to shift blame for absolutely massive market polluters onto the individual person to distract them from the root problems.

Like blaming parents (some of whom are bad) for any societal problems among youth and young adults.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

mlmp08 posted:

I think the gist is more that blaming individual humans for climate change or plastic problems is an industry and gov leadership ploy to shift blame for absolutely massive market polluters onto the individual person to distract them from the root problems.

Like blaming parents (some of whom are bad) for any societal problems among youth and young adults.

Guilt trip the individual over trash, over water usage, over carbon footprint. Meanwhile everything happens at the top 100 companies in the world. Make the producer responsible for waste disposal and product lifecycle. I have no control except to just not consume anything but even shooting myself in the head would leave a carbon footprint.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

No, I’m trying to take responsibility.

It was me, I am solely responsible for climate change and anything else you find wrong in the world, random internet person. Don’t worry about German importing wood pellets to burn for electrical power after dismantling most of their nuclear infrastructure. Burning wood in order to call it “green” energy. Don’t look at the multiple municipalities in the states that don’t even recycle any longer because their private trash collecting service doesn’t make a profit off it. Don’t worry about posting on your phone or computer using rare earth elements built with questionable labor practices in Asia.

The entire climate change problem is my fault. I am sorry.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
I bought a hybrid to be green but there's a nagging feeling that the rare earth elements and metals of the batteries actually caused more harm to the environment than just getting a decent ICE so I should have gotten a bike ut then I wouldn't be able to go anywhere. Meanwhile somehow major shipping companies have created environmental laws that allow them to run their exhaust through a seawater scrubber and dump it over the side into the ocean cause dumping a bunch of acid into the ocean is very green.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Do you think I'm upset by or talking about this little thing? Or is it not clear that it's the dismissiveness that pissed me off? Do you get it and pretend not to to make an argument easier?

Where not even a little thing is acceptable - how can anything big be allowed to disturb

bengy81
May 8, 2010
There were 1000 private planes flown to the super bowl, and the local Walmart throws away more produce in a week than my family could consume in a lifetime. So it's hard to feel like individual actions are going to make any meaningful difference for my kids.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

lightpole posted:

I bought a hybrid to be green but there's a nagging feeling that the rare earth elements and metals of the batteries actually caused more harm to the environment than just getting a decent ICE so I should have gotten a bike ut then I wouldn't be able to go anywhere. Meanwhile somehow major shipping companies have created environmental laws that allow them to run their exhaust through a seawater scrubber and dump it over the side into the ocean cause dumping a bunch of acid into the ocean is very green.

Don't think about just the extraction of those rare earth metals. Think of all of the fuel burned to transport them to be refined, then the energy used to actually refine them to a useable state.

I too own a hybrid, mostly because of where i lived biking is impractible and the savings on gas benefit me on long commutes. I have no illusions on how green they are.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
While focusing on individual behavior when corporations are the most significant polluters is in many ways a distraction, I'm still going to shame anyone whose behavior is particularly egregious. While the fucker in the lifted F350 with a bed full of Chick-fil-A is ultimately negligibly more impactful than the Prius driver he's rolling coal on, there's still value in pushing back hard on any of that being remotely acceptable in society.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Cugel the Clever posted:

While focusing on individual behavior when corporations are the most significant polluters is in many ways a distraction, I'm still going to shame anyone whose behavior is particularly egregious. While the fucker in the lifted F350 with a bed full of Chick-fil-A is ultimately negligibly more impactful than the Prius driver he's rolling coal on, there's still value in pushing back hard on any of that being remotely acceptable in society.

I think the point is that most of us are just trying to be responsible and doing the best we can. The deck is just stacked against us on an individual level, I have to search through a huge amount of conflicting information to figure out my best course and I still have no idea if its the right thing to do. Meanwhile, even as an American, I am not worth a footnote compared to the top companies and the rich.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Do you think I'm upset by or talking about this little thing? Or is it not clear that it's the dismissiveness that pissed me off? Do you get it and pretend not to to make an argument easier?

Where not even a little thing is acceptable - how can anything big be allowed to disturb

I’m responding to the only thing you said that wasn’t posting about posting. The gist of your argument is that a service member dumping bags of trash in the post dumpster because of silly German trash laws, which are green theater at best, is how we “run out of time.” It’s an absurd argument and is being given the credence it deserves.

Probably best for us both to go touch grass before the trash I dumped on post makes it all disappear.

Please stay mad though. Or better yet, get involved in local elections to force your local politicians to ensure that better waste collection policies are in place. Better still, get involved in national elections so that you can encourage your various legislative critters to pass laws that will actually effect change instead of trying to ineffectively shame someone on the internet. You’ll be more effective in whatever you are trying to achieve here.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Can't wait to see what kind of blackmail maligned trash barons could dig up on you and helldump.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Seems like everybody here is dealing with Seasonal Effective Disorder. Hopefully the sun will come out soon.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

If everyone else thinks you sound like a glib, aggro jerk, it’s probably because everyone else is oh so crazy, but do not worry; you are calm and in control.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Grip it and rip it posted:

Seems like everybody here is dealing with Seasonal Effective Disorder. Hopefully the sun will come out soon.

I wouldn’t say we are very effective :v:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Hey, chill y’all.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Bad time to share the “Taylor Swift gassing up the private jet to roll over in bed” meme huh

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Grip it and rip it posted:

I wish this season made me more effective.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

NPR did a story on Japanese recycling. They went into detail about how the program works, and how Japan tries to minimize waste, and how some prefectures are pushing towards zero waste. My memory is hazy on it, but it was not something that would work in America without insane cultural, industrial, and social changes.

The system required strict government regulation and enforcement, strict individual responsibilities in sorting, clear, labeled bags for fines (that ranged from cheap 1st offense, to an insane 2nd offense- like 10$ to 400$ for the next offense or something). Each type of material has a specific day, and what little garbage is produced is burned. Manufacturers are inspected regularly and tested, and new products and packaging must meet current requirements.

The story ended with the sobering reminder that even if America adopted that system tomorrow, it would have little impact on climate change due to the masses of industrial and corporate climate pollution; and that recycling doesn't work in America because it doesn't make money. Most residential plastic recycling in America doesn't recycle- it sells it off to be sorted, incinerated, or otherwise not taken care of properly. Does that mean we shouldn't try? No. But that does mean that it is an uphill struggle with much in vain in America.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

bulletsponge13 posted:

... not something that would work in America without insane cultural, industrial, and social changes.

with how polarized america is any more i'm not sure if there's anything society-improving for which this isn't the case any more

dudes will see a prius and feel so challenged that they have to barf out a cloud of black smoke

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Tiny Timbs posted:

Bad time to share the “Taylor Swift gassing up the private jet to roll over in bed” meme huh

It is funny how conservatives started caring about her private jet usage when they got mad at her.

Surprised they haven't been harping on Biden's Air Force One usage and the enviromental impact.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I’m not going to lie I felt like a loving fool when I found out the US just sells recycled plastic to be burned and that has strongly colored my take on individual conservation

Flikken posted:

It is funny how conservatives started caring about her private jet usage when they got mad at her.

Surprised they haven't been harping on Biden's Air Force One usage and the enviromental impact.

I was making GBS threads on celebrities for their extravagant waste way before chuds latched onto it for the wrong reasons and I refuse to let them take it from me

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Zamujasa posted:

with how polarized america is any more i'm not sure if there's anything society-improving for which this isn't the case any more

dudes will see a prius and feel so challenged that they have to barf out a cloud of black smoke

My hot take on that- the unbirdgable divide is because racism and classism inherent in the culture- instilled from our start- has so many convinced it's Zero Sum to keep the system in place. Having the poor convinced that every dollar someone else gets is taken from my pocket keeps this selfish hatred in "Why should it get better- it was hosed when I got here."

I'm pretty jaded and opinionated about it, because I spent much of my life just barely falling through the cracks- cracks that would never exist if people just loving stopped and helped each other. It's funny that the assholes who love to say poo poo like "a rising tide lifts all ships!" don't keep their boats in the same marina.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
just because the individual isnt responsible for the bulk of the damage, doesnt mean that the individual cant meter themselves so as to not contribute to the problem.

you may be just one person throwing your unsorted garbage and recycling into the post garbage because youre lazy, inconsiderate, and dont feel like following your host nation's laws. but i guarantee you, you werent the only one, and thats where the problem lies. your individual actions may not amount to much, but it adds up, so why not try to be better than corporations and do your best not to consume and create waste.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

bulletsponge13 posted:

My hot take on that- the unbirdgable divide is because racism and classism inherent in the culture- instilled from our start- has so many convinced it's Zero Sum to keep the system in place. Having the poor convinced that every dollar someone else gets is taken from my pocket keeps this selfish hatred in "Why should it get better- it was hosed when I got here."

I'm pretty jaded and opinionated about it, because I spent much of my life just barely falling through the cracks- cracks that would never exist if people just loving stopped and helped each other. It's funny that the assholes who love to say poo poo like "a rising tide lifts all ships!" don't keep their boats in the same marina.

I don't disagree with this.

Racism and Classism are this countries original sins.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

it adds up, but my understanding is that even when you add up all the individually-divertable waste and pollution, it’s a small fraction of the amount of waste and pollution generated by industry. given the absence of climate-friendly competitors in many areas, it’s hard to “consume better” to influence that upstream damage as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Americans are never going to care enough about recycling or any other methods of making our society more sustainable.

The moment their big mac, or carton of eggs, or whatever else goes up even slightly in price they will start screaming bloody murder.

Americans are pathologically sensitive to anything that even remotely might one day inconvenience them.

Selfish and inconsiderate. Nothing more American than that.