Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Obviously a Jedi worksite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!

8one6 posted:

The gently caress?

Is there one hell of a safety cable I'm not seeing?

I think it's just the rebar. Easy fix with an angle grinder.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Chem E (aka plumber with a diploma) here. Phosgene is scarily common as a precursor for so many useful things like polycarbonate and polyurethane plastics. The leak trap systems on those kind of production plants are insane.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Cthulu Carl posted:

'Scuse me while I kiss the sky

‘Scuse me while I puke and die

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

8one6 posted:

The gently caress?

Is there one hell of a safety cable I'm not seeing?

I think it got stuck on that bridge/truss thing in the foreground.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

karoshi posted:

Easy fix with an angle grinder.

The solution to most problems.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

LimaBiker posted:

Meanwhile, brassicaceae is slowly but surely infiltrating the entire rest of the market...
Broccoli? Brassica.
Kale? Brassica.
Mustard? Brassica.
Rapeseed? Whoops, now your diesel car is running on Brassica.

I’m pretty sure it’s all mustard

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
https://v.redd.it/2u9q1lwfrdjc1/DASH_360.mp4

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

canyoneer posted:

I remember a near miss at a fab that I worked on the accident report for. The tech was a new guy who was changing out a cartridge filter in the ultra pure water system. He had not actually been trained on this, and was taking initiative to do a little extra.
The filter is a cylinder about the diameter of a basketball and ~3-4 feet long, located at about head height and installed so just the round end is visible. Said technician didn't properly depressurize the system, and while attempting to remove it the filter shot out and missed his head by an inch or two. One of the engineers did the math on how much force it was moving with, and it was an absurd amount I can't remember. Suffice it to say, had it hit him it would have turned all his bones into confetti and would not have been survivable.

OSHA IV: Bone Confetti

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Stoatbringer posted:

The solution to most problems.

I'm p sure hand grenades are the solution also here.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Kith posted:

OSHA IV: Bone Confetti

I've always been partial to the phrase "mincemeat confetti".

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

bone confetti is so much more visceral, though. like... bones are not supposed to be that. meat confetti is something we could experience as part of food prep.

XeeD
Jul 10, 2001
I see invisible dumptrucks.

Cthulu Carl posted:

'Scuse me while I kiss the sky

Scuse me while I sniff this I

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Sorry, sorry, it has been a tough week at work

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

That excavator turned into a porta-potty on treads right then and there.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

“Okaaaaaay then. Dave? Yeah, pick up that big stick and go in and poke it a bit. You’ll be fine, you big baby.”

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

What is that that goes flying? Is that the sled the newly commisioned boat slid into the water on? It just rockets off like nothing

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Inflatable roller

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/kxJmW2e.mp4

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
^^^
I hate this on SO many levels :mad: (one of the lesser ones is that Red Bull sucks rear end and needs to die)

The ship video runs on reverse, it's easy to tell because the text is mirrored. That's how they place the rollers under a ship when it goes to a dry dock.

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Feb 18, 2024

Butterwagon
Mar 21, 2010

Lookit that stupid ass-hole!

Unperson_47 posted:

What is that that goes flying? Is that the sled the newly commisioned boat slid into the water on? It just rockets off like nothing

Those are sausages, this is how sausages are made. They will be shipped off for further processing to reduce them down to a more manageable size

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Karate Bastard posted:

Can someone help me remember something correctly?

I seem to remember a discussion on here involving phosgene and phosphine and possibly other nasty chemicals being used as precursors in chemical production, despite being essentially ww1 chemical weapons. I seem to remember the one turning into the other under this or that condition, but looking up those chemicals on wikipedia I'm thinking I must be misremembering, because they don't seem to have much in common.

I seem to remember a USCSB video making the rounds at the same time. Maybe this one that deals with phosgene, but that doesn't mention any phosphine.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Or have I just dreamed it?

I'm not sure if this is exactly what you're thinking of, but at lot of refrigerants, especially the older CFC ones like R22 will degrade into phosgene when exposed to a flame.
Which happens quite often as you have to braze the copper pipes together and well, sometimes not all the gas has quite gotten out despite your best efforts.

I know that happened to me once when I was repairing a leaking refrigerant pipe and a hold back valve let go and started letting out a steady stream of refrigerant.
It made my lungs burn so bad and I was dry heaving for a while, and that was only a few ounces. I felt awful the next day as well

I can only imagine what it must have been like to be enveloped in a cloud of that back in WW1, that has to be one of the worst ways to die.

Aperture Priority
May 4, 2009

~~*~~Is Dream~~*~~
:coolfish::3::coolfish:

Ugh phosgene is the worst part of working with refrigerants. So many repairs made while holding our breath and squinting our eyes to avoid the pain.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Aperture Priority posted:

Ugh phosgene is the worst part of working with refrigerants. So many repairs made while holding our breath and squinting our eyes to avoid the pain.

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

Elon literally doesn't know how pop tarts or toasters work. After looking at the pack confused, he put them into the toaster horizontally, then after toasting just threw his hands on in screaming "gently caress" over and over to retrieve them

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

I saw that and was like oh hey thats cool guy jum...............OHHHHH FUUUUUCCCKCKKKKK!!!!!

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

Scratch Monkey posted:

‘Scuse me while I puke and die

new thread title

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Roundup Ready posted:

Elon literally doesn't know how pop tarts or toasters work. After looking at the pack confused, he put them into the toaster horizontally, then after toasting just threw his hands on in screaming "gently caress" over and over to retrieve them

Elon doesn't know how cars work either.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

ZincBoy posted:

Semiconductor fabs use all sorts of wonderful chemicals and gasses. Silane, Phosphine, Arsine, Diborane gas are all commonly used and want you to die and/or explode.

I remember touring one of the facilities under construction and remarking how odd it was that there were a series of very small diameter pipes overhead on what appeared to be a seriously overbuilt elevated raceway.
Big concrete foundations and thick steel structures, it looked like a railroad trestle.

The engineer showing me around told me that one of those little bitty pipes up ran from the gas pad and was full of silane gas. I learned some new chemical terms that day, including "pyrophoric" :supaburn:

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Not sure what this dude's angle is but drat that's dedication.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Mustached Demon posted:

Not sure what this dude's angle is but drat that's dedication.

I'm going to guess the only angle to describe him is obtuse.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Any news on that cool new dystopia Saudi Arabia is building in the desert? I forget the catchy name. The Wall?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

redshirt posted:

Any news on that cool new dystopia Saudi Arabia is building in the desert? I forget the catchy name. The Wall?

It's called Saudi Arabia.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

redshirt posted:

The Line. and I haven't seen it in the news in awhile.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I can confirm that it is serving its intended purpose of converting Saudi oil money into consulting fees.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

OPEC Flops: The Line

ZincBoy
May 7, 2006

Think again Jimmy!

canyoneer posted:

The engineer showing me around told me that one of those little bitty pipes up ran from the gas pad and was full of silane gas. I learned some new chemical terms that day, including "pyrophoric" :supaburn:

Yes, most of the fun gasses were run in double wall pipes with a partial vacuum in the outer pipe. The vacuum point also had a gas sensor so if anything broke it would alarm out and the facility would evacuate. The neat bit about the gas storage was the very, very thick wall between it and the rest of the facility and the very thin outer wall and roof.

pygmy tyrant
Nov 25, 2005

*not a small business owner

Shooting Blanks posted:

The Line. and I haven't seen it in the news in awhile.

I don't remember which thread it was in but I saw something about it recently with pictures of the large straight line they were bulldozing through the landscape

e: also I did a bunch of drawings and modeling for wet benches at one point and have been wondering all day how the drains were set up that anyone though they could do meaningful maintenance on them. They're basins with valves underneath and everything else is to keep operators away from pressurized drain lines wtf

pygmy tyrant fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Feb 19, 2024

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That's some incredibly persistent truckfuckling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

https://i.imgur.com/O9cQQHb.mp4