Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

CapnAndy posted:

Does that run before park open, though? I dunno what the timing is on Ohana breakfast vs. rope drop.

I'm not entirely sure. Touring plans it accommodates things like Chef Mickey at the contemporary so my assumption would be it starts running at like 630 or 7am but I can't confirm that since the WDW app says it runs 30 minutes prior to park open, which makes no sense since I've taken both the resort and express monorail well before that time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I'm pretty sure when they use 'park open' in that context they mean when they let people into the entrance plazas, which is up to like 90 minutes before actual opening hours.

Cardamommy Issues
Feb 16, 2005

I've waited around for more important things
DCA is missing out not having a stuffed animal spiderbot. My 4 year old really really wanted one but they only had the real $80 bots. The little robospider buddies are so cute!

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
I just got around to watching the video of the land Universal bought in GB and holy poo poo it's perfect space for a theme park resort. Probably one park, three hotels and some shopping.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2024/02/baby-elephant-makes-debuts-on-disneys-animal-kingdom-savanna/

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

CelticPredator posted:

The new frog priciness lady animatronic looks weird and creepy. Idk why. It’s both too life like but also robotic and looks like a cartoon lol

The entire Sinbad ride at Tokyo Disneysea has this kind of animatronics, and it is impressive as hell. I did not expect the length of the ride, the sheer amount of animatronics, and the endless song that was cute at first and then became quite grating. That being said, one of those figures out of context would look creepy like this. In the world of the ride, it fits.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

This is a goofy question, but if I already booked my resort/park tickets through the WDW site, can I still get a travel agent? It’s booked for out past the current deals and I’m realizing I don’t want to have to stalk for promos.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

BadSamaritan posted:

This is a goofy question, but if I already booked my resort/park tickets through the WDW site, can I still get a travel agent? It’s booked for out past the current deals and I’m realizing I don’t want to have to stalk for promos.

We’re driving home from Universal, but Braksgirl says you can use a travel agent to book the resort room if you haven’t done so already. However, a lot of promos are for a ticket and room package. So, if you bought the tickets already separately, that’s not going to help you much.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

VorpalBunny posted:

The entire Sinbad ride at Tokyo Disneysea has this kind of animatronics, and it is impressive as hell. I did not expect the length of the ride, the sheer amount of animatronics, and the endless song that was cute at first and then became quite grating. That being said, one of those figures out of context would look creepy like this. In the world of the ride, it fits.

The Beauty and the Beast attraction in Tokyo too, and everybody always raves about how amazing they look and how unfair it is we don’t get them in the US parks.

(I think technically we do, because I think it’s the same tech in Hondo, Kylo Ren, and the Goblin Shaman. But this would be the first “human character” with the new-gen animatronics)

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I was briefly confused as to what you meant by "Goblin Shaman" and now I'm sad that Disney doesn't have a Warhammer Fantasy dark ride.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Hazo posted:

The Beauty and the Beast attraction in Tokyo too, and everybody always raves about how amazing they look and how unfair it is we don’t get them in the US parks.

(I think technically we do, because I think it’s the same tech in Hondo, Kylo Ren, and the Goblin Shaman. But this would be the first “human character” with the new-gen animatronics)

We never rode the Beauty ride in Tokyo, the line was always literally 3 hours long and the fastpass sold out within minutes at park open. I always thought the animatronics were projection like Runaway Railway, but I just skimmed a POV video and it looks like the same as the Tiana robot.

I am always so impressed with the foreign parks' animatronics, until I realize their park hours are so much shorter than the US parks so there's less wear and tear. Still, it's nice to see things slowly upgrade here in the States.

Tomorrow is our last day in the CA parks before our passes expire. I'm a bit sad, but my kids are over the parks which is also kind of sad. I don't think they fully appreciate what it means to be able to go to somewhere awesome as Disneyland so often, they are spoiled with entertainment options by living here in SoCal.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Hazo posted:

I agree, that ride in Tokyo was amazing. A+++ would wait again!

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

Silly Burrito posted:

We’re driving home from Universal, but Braksgirl says you can use a travel agent to book the resort room if you haven’t done so already. However, a lot of promos are for a ticket and room package. So, if you bought the tickets already separately, that’s not going to help you much.

So I purchased a room and ticket package through Disney, but the early November dates I booked aren’t available in current deal/promo packages yet. I like to get vacations on the calendar early or my family never takes them!

I know they release new promos as the year progresses (and not really on set dates, from what I can find), but don’t want to keep having to check in on their site to see if they’re out yet to apply them to my reservation. I did do it manually last time we went and I saved a bunch, but I feel like life is more chaotic this year. If it’s super obvious I’ve never used a travel agent for anything before it’s because I haven’t.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

kensei posted:

I agree, that ride in Tokyo was amazing. A+++ would wait again!

That entire ride including the queue and yes, the animatronics, is ridiculously good and cool. Best Disney ride as far as looks go easily.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Oh man, we’re going to Tokyo Disney for the second time next month. Will try to get the Premier Access as soon as we can for that. We avoided it the first time because of the waits.

Since we live less than an hour from the park we’ll never stay at the hotel so hope access stays open long enough.

The app shows when Priority Pass stops but doesn’t mention about the end of Premier Access. Maybe a good sign.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
We didn’t have trouble getting it on the Priority Access as soon as we walked in. 100% worth it.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

BadSamaritan posted:

So I purchased a room and ticket package through Disney, but the early November dates I booked aren’t available in current deal/promo packages yet. I like to get vacations on the calendar early or my family never takes them!

I know they release new promos as the year progresses (and not really on set dates, from what I can find), but don’t want to keep having to check in on their site to see if they’re out yet to apply them to my reservation. I did do it manually last time we went and I saved a bunch, but I feel like life is more chaotic this year. If it’s super obvious I’ve never used a travel agent for anything before it’s because I haven’t.

The only way you're going to get a travel agent to promo check for you is to transfer your booking to an agent. You can do that if you've booked it within 30 days and the package is not paid in full. Travel agents only get paid if they book the trip. No one is going to price monitor a trip they didn't book.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

Braksgirl posted:

No one is going to price monitor a trip they didn't book.

Definitely wouldn’t expect them to, but it’s good to know I’m still in the window where it can be transferred if I find an agent I like during that time.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

BadSamaritan posted:

Definitely wouldn’t expect them to, but it’s good to know I’m still in the window where it can be transferred if I find an agent I like during that time.

At risk of social awkwardness, do you like Braksgirl? We may even have another Disney travel agent in this thread, but Braksgirl is a regular.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Grundulum posted:

At risk of social awkwardness, do you like Braksgirl? We may even have another Disney travel agent in this thread, but Braksgirl is a regular.

I was a DTA but I retired to write, instead. And sometimes I freelance with Disney (and various other companies).

DTA is fun, but the chase exhausted me and I really cannot keep up with it with my worsening health. I often have a very different opinion from Braks, which doesn't really make either one of us wrong or right; we just have really different priorities with resorts, parks, and so on and so forth. There's a park plan for everybody and they have a great big range. What works for her doesn't for me, and what works for me is probably downright boring for her :love:

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Nanigans posted:

We didn’t have trouble getting it on the Priority Access as soon as we walked in. 100% worth it.

Good to know, thanks.

Were there any differences between that and the other pass?

(I wish the terms were universal across the parks)

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I was a DTA but I retired to write, instead. And sometimes I freelance with Disney (and various other companies).

DTA is fun, but the chase exhausted me and I really cannot keep up with it with my worsening health. I often have a very different opinion from Braks, which doesn't really make either one of us wrong or right; we just have really different priorities with resorts, parks, and so on and so forth. There's a park plan for everybody and they have a great big range. What works for her doesn't for me, and what works for me is probably downright boring for her :love:

It's all good! We do what works for us and that's ok.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiO1a9N65y4

Good video. It's not really telling us anything we don't already know, but having it compiled together is always a bit of a stark reminder of just bow bad things have gotten. This guy typically puts out quality content, but it's only sometimes about Disney and theme parks.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I’m just shocked that video isn’t over an hour long.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

smackfu posted:

I’m just shocked that video isn’t over an hour long.

Nah, his videos are usually in the 20-30 minute range. It’s Defunctland that does the hour+ videos.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

hadji murad posted:

Good to know, thanks.

Were there any differences between that and the other pass?

(I wish the terms were universal across the parks)

You mean the 40th anniversary fastpass thing? That one is free and you can only use it once per ride per day.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Nanigans posted:

You mean the 40th anniversary fastpass thing? That one is free and you can only use it once per ride per day.

The official terminology (because Japan has to be different and don't care if they sound similar) is:

40th Anniversary Priority Pass - that's for Space Mountain and Big Thunder Mountain, etc. It is the free one. After we used it, it still showed up in the app. My wife asked if it could be used again and the staff said yes. We didn't so I can't confirm this.

Premier Access - the paid service. We didn't try it previously, but its for Beauty and the Beast and Splash Mountain, etc. We hope to try both of those this time, we just don't know what the wait times were.

I think with Big Thunder it took less than ten minutes, and maybe 15 for Haunted Mansion.

I don't know what to expect with Premier Access, hopefully short waits?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Arquinsiel posted:

I actually had a step counter on me when I was in the parks and I tested it on a random day lazy out shopping when I got home. I guess my last Disney trip was super chill or something, because they were within a couple hundred steps of each other. I see why people get super into metricing their trips now, because the level of tiredness really doesn't compare at all.
Let's play a game of Guess When My Last Disney Trip Was, shall we?

For bonus points, what day did I spend at the hotel?

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

CapnAndy posted:

Let's play a game of Guess When My Last Disney Trip Was, shall we?

For bonus points, what day did I spend at the hotel?

This is a horrifying game I didn’t know I was playing

edit: I guess it helps me feel better about how much we spent renewing our APs last April

Hazo fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Feb 19, 2024

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
What playing this game has taught me is I leave my phone at home a lot this year.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
lol I do that on an average workday

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz
Is something going on today/this week at WDW? It's surprisingly busy this morning and I'm trying to take my kids on Friday (I'm local) and would like to plan if so.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Gejimayu posted:

Is something going on today/this week at WDW? It's surprisingly busy this morning and I'm trying to take my kids on Friday (I'm local) and would like to plan if so.

Yesterday was a holiday, that usually has an effect.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

Gejimayu posted:

This coming weekend is the Princess race weekend so it'll have associated crowds for that, although I don't know if they'd be worse than eight after a public holiday.

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe
I went through all the replies with my wife and we talked about what we want to do. We are definitely doing MK on the Wednesday that we're there, and may look into booking a character meal. It's good to know we have reservations don't open until 60 days out so that we have a little bit to decide. Are there any recommendations in MK for lunch? I feel like a somewhat relaxed sitdown lunch in a cool environment might help to break up what will otherwise be a hot a busy day. And it might help us get to the fireworks at the end of the day.

On the Monday we are torn between Epcot and Hollywood Studies. We may split up and do my son+an adult at Hollywood Studios and my daughter+an adult at Epcot, but that would take away from the "family aspect" of the trip. I took out the tape measure this weekend and my daughter is actually 41 inches tall and my son is 46, so that opens up some ride possibilities. I still think my daughter's timidness is what is going to limit her, not her height.

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Okay so here's the thing that everyone who has never been to WDW needs to hear:

This was really helpful. I think we are trying to prepare as much as we can, but want to keep our expectations low. There's nothing worse than trying to get the kids to "go, go, go" when they just aren't up to it.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Have you looked at Ohana as a dining reservation? Because you can meet Lilo & Stitch over there for breakfast (only breakfast, not any other time) and it's an easy monorail ride to Magic Kingdom afterwards.

This looks like a great idea. How do you do breakfast and still get to the park by opening, though? It seems like this would eat up the earlier part of the day.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Hutzpah posted:

I went through all the replies with my wife and we talked about what we want to do. We are definitely doing MK on the Wednesday that we're there, and may look into booking a character meal. It's good to know we have reservations don't open until 60 days out so that we have a little bit to decide. Are there any recommendations in MK for lunch? I feel like a somewhat relaxed sitdown lunch in a cool environment might help to break up what will otherwise be a hot a busy day. And it might help us get to the fireworks at the end of the day.

Skipper Canteen 100%

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Hutzpah posted:

If you want to do character dining in MK, your choices are Cinderella's Royal Table or Crystal Palace. CRT is fancy and has all the princesses; your daughter will absolutely love it. Your son might not be so thrilled. Crystal Palace is a lot more laid back and has a buffet. It's got Winnie the Pooh characters, which are cute, but you know better than us how your kids feel about them.

If you just want a sit-down experience (what Disney calls Table Service), you can check them out on Disney's website, which is a good thing to get used to. Every restaurant lets you see their menu, complete with pricing, so it's a really good tool ahead of time to figure out who's got food you want to eat at prices you're okay with. For the record, I can't recommend Be Our Guest -- the food and themeing are fantastic, but they charge you like it's character dining and it's not, you only get to meet the Beast.

quote:

On the Monday we are torn between Epcot and Hollywood Studies. We may split up and do my son+an adult at Hollywood Studios and my daughter+an adult at Epcot, but that would take away from the "family aspect" of the trip. I took out the tape measure this weekend and my daughter is actually 41 inches tall and my son is 46, so that opens up some ride possibilities. I still think my daughter's timidness is what is going to limit her, not her height.
Yeah, I wouldn't recommend splitting up like that, it kills basically the whole point of the trip. For the record, your son will have plenty to do at Epcot too -- Soarin' is legit one of the best rides in all four parks, Test Track sounds right up his alley, Remy is... not great, but for a six year old probably pretty cool. Hell, I even looked it up and he's tall enough to do Cosmic Rewind. Which technically is a roller coaster, but one without any major drops or inversions, so, y'know... maybe? You go really, really fast both forwards and backwards and do a lot of turns.

Also, how timid is your daughter? Is it the act of getting on the ride vehicle that scares her or can you get her to do that much at least so long as you promise the ride won't be scary?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Be Our Guest is technically character dining because he's there, and that's why it's priced as such, but it's lame. The Beast just waves.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Hutzpah posted:

This was really helpful. I think we are trying to prepare as much as we can, but want to keep our expectations low. There's nothing worse than trying to get the kids to "go, go, go" when they just aren't up to it.

Definitely. I think one of the most common mistakes people make regarding bringing kids to Disney, especially MK, is to over-hype them up promising all kinds of cool stuff while not mentally preparing them for the negatives. Inform them that there will be a lot of people, we're going to do fun things but you have to be patient and wait in lines to do them, and that you may not get to do everything you want to do. Going in with this mindset makes for a better day at the parks for everyone.

Personally, I would opt for a family day at Epcot. It will be more chill than your Magic Kingdom day. There's still a few thrill rides, lots of restaurants to choose from, lots of characters to meet, a good fireworks show at closing, etc. 6 just seems a little young still to separate for a few more thrill rides, plus the lines at Hollywood Studios get really crazy. If they were like 10+ it might be a different story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

Be Our Guest is technically character dining because he's there, and that's why it's priced as such, but it's lame. The Beast just waves.
I am eternally pissed off that they stopped the quick-service lunch they used to do before COVID. You got inside so you could experience the themeing, which is like 99% of why you'd eat there, and the food was actually really good. Killer french dip sandwich.