Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Jerusalem posted:

To me he felt more like somebody trying to ape a David Milch written character. Some actors can pull that off, but even then it needs the right setting and most of the other actors to talk/act in the same way, and I wasn't feeling it in any respect for Vaughn's character. I don't know how much of that was Nic Pizzolatto's writing and how much was Vaughn's acting, but given they've both done other things I've enjoyed, maybe it was just the combination?

I feel like he was pulled straight out of Lost Highway in season 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I guess Tokyo Vice counts, but it very much feels more yakuza soap opera than detectiving most the time, and it's great.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

I can't get over the titular line in the last episode:

We're all in the Night Country now.

One of the top ten titular lines of all time, right up there with Frankly my dear, I'm gone with the wind and Alright Buddy, you just ended up on Shindler's List.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Jehde posted:

I guess Tokyo Vice counts, but it very much feels more yakuza soap opera than detectiving most the time, and it's great.

Everybody! Yeah yeah. Rock your body! Yeah yeah

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
I just realized now, when folks are saying that amongst other things this season of TD is missing a midway action sequence, that they could have done a pretty neat one with traps left for them at the hunting camp.

They'd probably have to sacrifice Peter for the shot, and he therefore couldn't do that thing with his dad, but it could have been worth it.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

I agree with what others have said, that this really should've been 8 episodes.

A few more action scenes, a little more philosophizing in cars maybe, and a little more focus on the dead scientists and their creepy lab.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Bright Bart posted:

I just realized now, when folks are saying that amongst other things this season of TD is missing a midway action sequence, that they could have done a pretty neat one with traps left for them at the hunting camp.

They'd probably have to sacrifice Peter for the shot, and he therefore couldn't do that thing with his dad, but it could have been worth it.

I’m caught up as of last night, and I totally thought that’s where the scene was going. When they stepped out of the building and the nomads were there I thought “oh poo poo here it is”.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

sure okay posted:

I agree with what others have said, that this really should've been 8 episodes.

A few more action scenes, a little more philosophizing in cars maybe, and a little more focus on the dead scientists and their creepy lab.

More episodes and better hammering home of themes in the writing of the plot. I'm surprised they didn't have a more specific theme of Indigenous People and the colonizing of their lands. It felt that there was an obvious plot line in 'Bad crime happened, have to ask the tribes but uh oh they're pushing back on us trying to have jurisdiction in their lands'. Instead they gave us one scene of Danvers and Navarro getting chased off a reservation and replaced everything with the mining company poisoning the water. The plot line we got is too monolithic. Like I don't even know who the bad guy is supposed to be this season since it's just The Mining Company.

It felt like they half approached everything. Danvers is an intelligent investigator but either corrupt, dirty, or rogue in how she investigates cases. They barely developed that during the lead up to Pete figuring out that the domestic abuse double homicide was a cop murder. Could have easily had Danvers doing something else pretty corrupt, dirty, or rogue during that time but all they gave was her being part of a drunk driving accident. Could have had her working with Navarro and doing things things that Navarro objects to on a morality ground. That in turn could have explored Navarro doing things with good intentions, like figuring out a missing women's case, but slowly turning into Danvers. Instead both cops are pretty iffy and they both seem to be steered towards the general good ending rather than having their motivations or characters tested throughout the season.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Hate to take away from a fine take right above but I want to say that I tried looking up the SE03 mid-way shootout on YT and the video pauses when Hays takes him down. I don't necessarily need to see a killing up close. But I'm just curious why. Does YouTube actually take down some clips because people would report a video where a police officer kills someone up close (even in self defense)? Or is the uploader maybe not taking any chances because they are worried, maybe based on how TikTok does weird things like this?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
The monetized internet is fully self censored in the weirdest ways with things like this and saying "unalive"

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

Leon Sumbitches posted:

I can't get over the titular line in the last episode:

We're all in the Night Country now.

One of the top ten titular lines of all time, right up there with Frankly my dear, I'm gone with the wind and Alright Buddy, you just ended up on Shindler's List.

You forget Brad Pitt sneezing when he tried to say Seven.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Bip Roberts posted:

The monetized internet is fully self censored in the weirdest ways with things like this and saying "unalive"

It's not unexpected but also decidedly weird that the most socially conscious and outspoken on human rights generation perhaps ever is willing to bend to an autocratic regime's censorship quirks. I've spoken about this with my sister, younger siblings of friends, and children of people I know about this. Almost to a one they are intelligent, well educated, and well informed but they didn't piece together that these are rules set by the Chinese government and/or a company in fear of Chinese government censors. They all told me they thought it was just something the company did because sensitive people would complain otherwise.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Bright Bart posted:

It's not unexpected but also decidedly weird that the most socially conscious and outspoken on human rights generation perhaps ever is willing to bend to an autocratic regime's censorship quirks.

There's plenty of frustration from creators about how arbitrary or lovely the content moderation can be on TikTok, but being unwilling to bend to it means finding an audience elsewhere and, well, that's the rub. See also: Shitloads of otherwise extremely savvy, sensible people refusing to leave the broken husk that used to be Twitter.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Doltos posted:

More episodes and better hammering home of themes in the writing of the plot. I'm surprised they didn't have a more specific theme of Indigenous People and the colonizing of their lands. It felt that there was an obvious plot line in 'Bad crime happened, have to ask the tribes but uh oh they're pushing back on us trying to have jurisdiction in their lands'. Instead they gave us one scene of Danvers and Navarro getting chased off a reservation and replaced everything with the mining company poisoning the water. The plot line we got is too monolithic. Like I don't even know who the bad guy is supposed to be this season since it's just The Mining Company.

The plots with the daughter, the protests, Annie K, etc. about the long term effects of the appropriation of indigenous lands. It all feels fairly central to the narrative. I really don't understand the problem with there being no villain, because even though the entire system is sewn up ("Ennis killed Annie") but Dervla Kerwan and Christopher Eccelston are clearly the main figureheads here. Particularly Kerwan.

I dunno, maybe I'm misunderstanding the complaint here, but I find what you're saying really confusing.

Doltos posted:

Could have easily had Danvers doing something else pretty corrupt, dirty, or rogue during that time but all they gave was her being part of a drunk driving accident.

She's done plenty of off book things all season. She was perfectly willing to cover for her daughter when she thought she was a perpetrator of statutory rape, she fakes a reason to break into that guy's home (which Navarro does object to), she was secretly investigating the Annie K case by herself and didn't tell anyone, and in retrospect the whole deal with the files at Hank's house (saved from "the flood" that destroyed the old files) was sketchy -- and not just on Hank's part. Plus it was obvious that either Navarro or Danvers shot that dude since at least the third episode, even if it's still an open question as to who actually did the shooting.

Doltos posted:

That in turn could have explored Navarro doing things with good intentions, like figuring out a missing women's case, but slowly turning into Danvers. Instead both cops are pretty iffy and they both seem to be steered towards the general good ending rather than having their motivations or characters tested throughout the season.

Isn't that kind of Peter's role in the narrative? He goes from living with his wife and kid and having a half decent relationship with his dad, to being so sucked into Danver's vortex that he's now contemplating divorce while wiping his dad off Danver's linoleum.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Bright Bart posted:

It's not unexpected but also decidedly weird that the most socially conscious and outspoken on human rights generation perhaps ever is willing to bend to an autocratic regime's censorship quirks. I've spoken about this with my sister, younger siblings of friends, and children of people I know about this. Almost to a one they are intelligent, well educated, and well informed but they didn't piece together that these are rules set by the Chinese government and/or a company in fear of Chinese government censors. They all told me they thought it was just something the company did because sensitive people would complain otherwise.

To a naive person with a good heart it can be hard to tell the difference between changes to language meant to be inclusive and changes made out of greed, especially because there’s a vocal minority of vicious idiots on the internet that will decry all aspects of inclusivity and make the whole thing a front in the culture war.

The truly insidious thing about unalive, getting SA’d, sewer slide, etc is that they trivialize serious things so much that discussion of them almost becomes a sort of game, which empowers rapists and abusers.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Bright Bart posted:

I just realized now, when folks are saying that amongst other things this season of TD is missing a midway action sequence
What do you mean? There was the 10 seconds in the hospital as Danvers tries to break up a fight. :rolleyes:

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Open Source Idiom posted:

She was perfectly willing to cover for her daughter when she thought she was a perpetrator of statutory rape,

Goons once again choose performative internet outrage over basic media literacy. There was never a moment where Danvers thought her daughter was engaging in statutory rape. There was a brief period where we, as the audience, did not know how old her daughter was as a result didn't know how serious the situation might be. But Danvers always knew how old her daughter was and always knew they were both minors because it's her daughter and of course she knew how old her daughter was you idiot.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

counterfeitsaint posted:

Goons once again choose performative internet outrage over basic media literacy. There was never a moment where Danvers thought her daughter was engaging in statutory rape. There was a brief period where we, as the audience, did not know how old her daughter was as a result didn't know how serious the situation might be. But Danvers always knew how old her daughter was and always knew they were both minors because it's her daughter and of course she knew how old her daughter was you idiot.

Danvers thought her 17 year old daughter made a sex tape with a 15 year old, ("you made a video of you screwing a 15 year old girl") but then after the car crash the daughter corrects Danvers and informs her that the girlfriend was 16. ("She's 16. Sheri's 16, not 15.")

Also WTF is this post.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

Bright Bart posted:

To be clear, are you saying that YouTube lowers visibility on their videos to appease China? Because that's quite a take.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

The plots with the daughter, the protests, Annie K, etc. about the long term effects of the appropriation of indigenous lands. It all feels fairly central to the narrative. I really don't understand the problem with there being no villain, because even though the entire system is sewn up ("Ennis killed Annie") but Dervla Kerwan and Christopher Eccelston are clearly the main figureheads here. Particularly Kerwan.

I dunno, maybe I'm misunderstanding the complaint here, but I find what you're saying really confusing.

I said it wasn't very specific. The protests, daughter identity, and Annie K case all rotate around the theme that the indigenous people are at odds with the colonizers. There's no clear outcome or stake to worry about in any of it. Are people going to riot? Is the daughter becoming anything other than frustrated? Is the Annie K case going to shine a huge light on the situation? Would anything in the plot really change if they replaced the indigenous people with just outraged townspeople?

She's done plenty of off book things all season. She was perfectly willing to cover for her daughter when she thought she was a perpetrator of statutory rape, she fakes a reason to break into that guy's home (which Navarro does object to), she was secretly investigating the Annie K case by herself and didn't tell anyone, and in retrospect the whole deal with the files at Hank's house (saved from "the flood" that destroyed the old files) was sketchy -- and not just on Hank's part. Plus it was obvious that either Navarro or Danvers shot that dude since at least the third episode, even if it's still an open question as to who actually did the shooting.

I don't think she was covering for her daughter she only thought for a second that she committed statutory. The house break in and trying to steal the files wasn't exactly as devastating as killing a perp and staging it as a suicide.

Isn't that kind of Peter's role in the narrative? He goes from living with his wife and kid and having a half decent relationship with his dad, to being so sucked into Danver's vortex that he's now contemplating divorce while wiping his dad off Danver's linoleum.

This is a fair point. It just felt like Navarro would be the person who would get that plot since she was featured more than Pete early on.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Danvers thought her 17 year old daughter made a sex tape with a 15 year old, ("you made a video of you screwing a 15 year old girl") but then after the car crash the daughter corrects Danvers and informs her that the girlfriend was 16. ("She's 16. Sheri's 16, not 15.")

Also WTF is this post.

Yeah I'm not sure about Alaska's laws but those ages seem covered under Romeo and Juliet laws and that Danvers did not, in fact, think her daughter was committing statutory rape. This is backed up by her not actually feeling better when she finds out Cheri is 16!

Leah tells her that because she is annoyed that Danvers can't keep her girlfriend's age straight.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Ravenfood posted:

Yeah I'm not sure about Alaska's laws but those ages seem covered under Romeo and Juliet laws and that Danvers did not, in fact, think her daughter was committing statutory rape. This is backed up by her not actually feeling better when she finds out Cheri is 16!

Fair enough. I checked out the age of consent in Alaska before making that post (it's 16 IIRC) but didn't think about R+J -- which is understandable, given that as far as I can tell they're not a thing in my country so it's an out of context element.

Edit: Do the laws cover recordings as well as just sex? Or would the fact that it was recorded complicate things? I'm trying to work out why Danvers has so much trouble specifically spitting out the words "15 year old girl".

That said, I'm not an illiterate idiot or performing outrage (or even outraged lol) so I stand by counterfeitsaint's post being loving rude and dumb.

Doltos posted:

Would anything in the plot really change if they replaced the indigenous people with just outraged townspeople?

To go off this for a second, I think yeah -- in so much as Annie K is a young woman murdered under mysterious circumstances. But she's non white, so her death is easily covered up. If she was white they'd never hear the end of the podcasters.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Feb 19, 2024

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

koolkal posted:

To be clear, are you saying that YouTube lowers visibility on their videos to appease China? Because that's quite a take.

Oh. Nope. I was responding to "unalive" which I figured was a known TikTok thing.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I’ve seen that “unalive” thing happen in some YouTube videos. It’s always done by a younger person. I always thought it was a translation issue or a weird grammatical error.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Finale's up. I hope it's actual ghosts.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

they’re in the Night Country now

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

"Shut the gently caress up" -both Danvers and Me to this shows use of the Beatles Twist and Shout

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

oh man i just finished the cold open and we are off the fuckin rails yeeehaw take me home

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Lol I think this season might be bad

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Honestly would have been fine to just leave who shot the guy unanswered.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Lol the loving orange peel

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
This is just facile anti-corporate propaganda I guess

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Lmfao he said the thing

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

right arm posted:

Lmfao he said the thing

i cringed

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

mcmagic posted:

i cringed

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

He said the line :woop:

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
The True Detective was the friends we made along the way.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

AAAAAAAHAHAH this slow-downed eerie cover of Twist and Shout. One of the worst scored shows in recent memory.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Ok the reveal is great. They set it to stupid music, but that's a fun resolve

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

lol @ product plug for 409 spray cleaner