Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I thought RE8 was a huge bummer coming from RE2R and RE4R. I finished it but didn't enjoy it nearly as much as I hoped I would after really falling in love with RE4R last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Hwurmp posted:

a toaster does not bake

it toasts

it's in the god drat name :tizzy:

A toaster oven can bake!

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Twice baked bread. Baked pop tarts.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Squiggle posted:

A toaster oven can bake!
If you think that toasting can only be performed via radiant heat, perhaps a toaster oven is an oxymoron

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Hwurmp posted:

a toaster does not bake

it toasts

The one that gets me is this:

Snakes are not slimy!

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

I really thought the AC games were building to a modern day AC with the first main dude with all the bleed through stuff and him getting more skilled, but no, that never materialized

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The biggest obstacle seems to be that every 3-5 years there's some big shakeup that causes them to take whatever half-baked modern plot they have going and dump it in favor of a new one.

The metaplot also worked better as an idea back when the games were yearly 30 hour games, rather than more spaced out 100+ hour games.

Though also maybe an obvious weakness, having only played Odyssey I have no loving clue what Layla's deal is and nothing she did in ACO was compelling enough to want to see more.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Feb 18, 2024

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Chas McGill posted:

I enjoyed the new RE games, but Ethan is a massive weak point. I genuinely wonder what the thinking was in making the protagonist such a characterless nonentity. Perhaps they ran focus groups and 'Ethan' is the average of the demographics they're trying to hit.

i think he's hilarious but not really because of his character, just because he's a huge loser who gets owned by everyone but he's a human wile e coyote. like this:

D.Fuzzbot posted:

Nothing a little club soda first aid juice won't fix

is too good. he gets his loving hand chopped off and splashes some kombucha on the severed stump and reattaches it no problem.

i didn't play 7 though so idk what he's like there.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
A toaster can't bake! Snakes aren't slimy! What nonsense are you nerds spouting next, that bats aren't bugs?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

For Assassin's Creed talk, all I really want right now is the next game because it takes place in Japan. Assuming UBISoft hasn't changed plans (I really hope not), but that is suppose to be the next setting now that Mirage is out.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah

Snackmar posted:

The one that gets me is this:

Snakes are not slimy!

Classic “I know exactly what the text was in Japanese before they made it English” translation there. Same with baking - I’ve been asked to bake stuff in a frying pan before!

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Chas McGill posted:

I enjoyed the new RE games, but Ethan is a massive weak point. I genuinely wonder what the thinking was in making the protagonist such a characterless nonentity. Perhaps they ran focus groups and 'Ethan' is the average of the demographics they're trying to hit.

I think that may have been the original intention, as a reaction to RE6's negative reception, part of going 'back to the roots' of RE and modernizing it as an FPS. If Ethan is played in first person, the player isn't necessarily going to bond with the character in the same way... or that may be how Capcom's designers thought about it.

It appears that at some point it turned into a running joke among the devs, however, as they steadfastly refuse to fully show his face anywhere in both games. Mirrors don't work and all photos of him are obscured somehow. Even in RE8's Rose DLC the two of them meet but every shot is framed so that you never get a good look at him: Ethan's too far away from the camera and blurry, you only see his side or a sharp downwards shot at his head, Rose's arms obscure his face. They even make fun of it in their dialogue. Honestly, I kinda respect them for doing it like this, as it has somewhat ironically become his main character trait and it at least makes him memorable, though maybe not for the reasons fans wanted.

JadaX
Nov 25, 2008

Foul Fowl posted:

is too good. he gets his loving hand chopped off and splashes some kombucha on the severed stump and reattaches it no problem.

i didn't play 7 though so idk what he's like there.
I mean there's a reason for this - RE8 takes place after RE7 soooo....

And if you played RE8 then not sure why it doesn't make sense why he's able to do that :P

JadaX fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Feb 18, 2024

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

All this Resident Evil talk just makes me sad that nobody is ever going to make a game with a combat system like RE6. It was cool and unique.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i'm currently playing it, just got to moreau (he's also pretty funny, calling ethan a dumbass) but i'm assuming ethan ate some kinda gizmo mold parasite or whatever in the last game. i kinda don't want to know, the game's really good if you just treat it as a surreal black comedy with some good action and fun gameplay.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Hwurmp posted:

a toaster does not bake

it toasts

What game is this?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

RandomBlue posted:

What game is this?

Logiart Grimoire

it's picross but you take your solved picrosses & mash them together for new picrosses, like a god game

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I love Logiart Grimoire but it was obvious from the first version they released they should have hired an editor with English as their native language to go over all the text. Not just change things based on user feedback, even if it is in early access. There was a puzzle for a rhinoceros that originally had a hint where I imagine they couldn't come up with "protusion" so they used this odd, archaic word to talk about the horn.

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023

JadaX posted:

I mean there's a reason for this - RE8 takes place after RE7 soooo....

And if you played RE8 then not sure why it doesn't make sense why he's able to do that :P

Knowing the reason doesn't make it any less funny. It repairs his jacket too in RE8

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Foul Fowl posted:

i'm currently playing it, just got to moreau (he's also pretty funny, calling ethan a dumbass) but i'm assuming ethan ate some kinda gizmo mold parasite or whatever in the last game. i kinda don't want to know, the game's really good if you just treat it as a surreal black comedy with some good action and fun gameplay.

It all gets explained but you probably should have played 7 first, partly because it's great and easily the scariest RE game and partly because it sets up a lot of what's going on with Ethan. Your questions are explicitly answered in 8 near the end, but the answers also inform things from 7.

Because Ethan really goes through some poo poo. I think the faceless aspect is partly because Capcom likely is unable to have a main character go through so much poo poo while also looking like a standard Capcom roided out kpop star.

JadaX
Nov 25, 2008
I mean if anything I really like the Ethan arc. Was a little annoyed in RE7 beginning, but then RE8 enjoyed it.

I don't think he's meant to be a long-term protagonist of the REverse, I think maybe Rose will be along with the other usuals. His story to me seems like Capcom just fleshing out the universe a bit - and it works.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
With the facelessness and the emphasis on the first person POV/VR mode I got the impression that Ethan wasn't supposed to be a real character in 7 but the way he acts is so (unintentionally?) bizarre he kinda developed a distinct personality as The Most Hapless Man in the World.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Ethans a weak protagonist but he has a real “gently caress this poo poo” attitude in parts of 8 that cracked me up

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

mycot posted:

With the facelessness and the emphasis on the first person POV/VR mode I got the impression that Ethan wasn't supposed to be a real character in 7 but the way he acts is so (unintentionally?) bizarre he kinda developed a distinct personality as The Most Hapless Man in the World.

This has been way more entertaining to me than any character they could have intentionally made.

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
I remember this moment early in 7 where he gives this cop some speech to get him to give him his gun. And the cop looks him dead in the eyes and hands him a lovely knife.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Chas McGill posted:

Ethan is the product of a 4 hour, executive level brainstorm session titled “this horny fan fiction about our characters is out of control despite making it clear none of them gently caress. How do we stop it?”

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Bumhead posted:

Ethan is the product of a 4 hour, executive level brainstorm session titled “this horny fan fiction about our characters is out of control despite making it clear none of them gently caress. How do we stop it?”

and immediately afterwards, they greenlit Lady D

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Bumhead posted:

"Let's add an 8 foot woman with a 2 ton dump truck."

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

That was obviously a correct decision so thank god they’ve got some folks who know what they’re doing

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

John Murdoch posted:

The biggest obstacle seems to be that every 3-5 years there's some big shakeup that causes them to take whatever half-baked modern plot they have going and dump it in favor of a new one.

The metaplot also worked better as an idea back when the games were yearly 30 hour games, rather than more spaced out 100+ hour games.

Though also maybe an obvious weakness, having only played Odyssey I have no loving clue what Layla's deal is and nothing she did in ACO was compelling enough to want to see more.
The metaplot could have worked if they'd allowed it to have any sort of meaningful ending. It's easy to rag on now 15 years later, but back in AC2 when one of the precursor people talks directly to Desmond through Ezio's memory I thought that was cool as poo poo. The problem was that Ubisoft couldn't find any way to stick the landing and wrap things up, and also that would have meant the end of one of their cash cows, so they killed Desmond off and then set up an endless conflict that neither side could ever meaningfully win. What's the point of following something like that?

Orv
May 4, 2011
I just like a stabby climby.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

I said come in! posted:

For Assassin's Creed talk, all I really want right now is the next game because it takes place in Japan. Assuming UBISoft hasn't changed plans (I really hope not), but that is suppose to be the next setting now that Mirage is out.

I really wanted them to do that back when the games were still good but I'm pretty lukewarm on it now.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Everyone justifiably hates on Far Cry 5, but it did get me with the brain washing thing. I knew exactly what they were trying to do and I was totally prepared to stop before it turned "real", but instincts kicked in when I rounded that corner and I fired before I could think.

Orv
May 4, 2011

ymgve posted:

Everyone justifiably hates on Far Cry 5, but it did get me with the brain washing thing. I knew exactly what they were trying to do and I was totally prepared to stop before it turned "real", but instincts kicked in when I rounded that corner and I fired before I could think.

"Ah ha," says the writer, "people like to shoot things in video games!"

The people were awed by his wisdom.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

ymgve posted:

Most disappointing part of FC5 imo. Even if you catch on to what they're doing you can't change the outcome, if you hold off shooting him the game just waits there until you pull the trigger. Would have been a good chance for a divergent narrative point but there's only one way it can play out.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

ymgve posted:

That "twist" was so painfully predictable and then even if you did notice it the game still forced you to play along without giving you any other option, it was very dumb.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
I used to like the modern-day AC stuff quite a bit. Like, in the first game, you'd go be Altair for a while, then you'd come back and find somewhere for Desmond to apply the things he'd learned in the Animus in order to progress his escape. That was kinda neat even if Desmond was a whiny little poo poo. (Also I always sort of liked how any bugs or shortcomings in the game could be handwaved as the software for the Animus not being feature-complete.)

Also, the Precursors thought Ezio's entire reason for being was to be Desmond's loving answering machine. I liked that! It made the Precursors and the overarching plot feel big and important, if someone as well-fleshed-out and competent as Ezio only existed to convey a thirty-second message to the future!

But they really just hosed it to pieces, and fast. Ugh. So annoying now.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I liked the resident evil 2 remake and thought it was captivating until the secret agent chick appears and then all the scary stuff is revealed to be government projects or something and it goes from pretty convincing horror to dumb sci-fi in short order. I think that’s why I liked RE7 a whole bunch. It remains tense and illusive the entire time, then it give you a fun kinetic action sequence near the end on the ship to shake things up.

I need to finish RE8. The thing that really bugged me about that game was the overpowering vignette and FOV being so narrow. I wonder if they added in a slider to the PC version since then.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
In what was apparently a choice to not have this be a Next Fest Demo...

Escape The Mad Empire is a party-based tactical RPG, dungeon-crawling roguelike, that operates on a real time with pause system and uh...

Wait a minute. A lot of party-based RPGs these days have real time with pause combat, often involving environmental effects and even corruption mechanics. What exactly is the draw here?

The standard argument, which I have made before, is that sometimes people just know what they like in a genre and want more of it. But on further inspection that doesn't seem to quite hold up for Escape The Mad Empire? I think this is meant for people who like the tactical gameplay in a lot of those RPGs but don't want it to be attached to a several-dozen hour long storyline. Which is weird, because most of the complaints I hear about those games are how by the time you're 50 hours in, the story remains interesting but with the exception of certain setpieces the combat has long outstayed its welcome - either becoming incredibly tedious or incredibly murderous. Escape The Mad Empire seems to do what it promises well, but I'm not sure how it's going to overcome that problem except by offering you less content. But maybe it really will deliver a tighter experience in smaller bites.

EDIT: I saw comparisons to Aarklash: Legacy being floated around, if that means anything to people with more experience in this subsection of the genre?

Jossar fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Feb 19, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

It's me, I'm the guy who likes rtwp RPG combat and character building but couldn't care less about the story. Gonna check this out :cool: