Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

Baggot posted:

Don't stand near the enemies, duh.

running solo bug missions with a mortar sentry is extremely funny for poo poo like this. I'll turn around and there's a single bug jumping at me, I raise my gun and as I kill it I hear the whumpf! of a mortar and start diving away frantically. death by gatling sentry is easy enough to avoid with cover but lol those mortars can be tricky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
One thing I really like about this game is there is no massive grind to get usable gear, it doesn't hand you a lovely feeling gun that's 20% as powerful as it's final form, no randomized stats to grind out, no "kill 75 enemies with headshots with this weapon" to unlock a scope that makes getting headshots feel less lovely and if you want to try something new out you can just grab your friends weapons when they "accidently" die.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I picked a bad weekend to try to start this game.

you and about 400,000 other people pal

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

Herstory Begins Now posted:

literally the game could not be any clearer that you are the disposable cannon fodder

To be clear in-game the helldivers are the elite of the Super Earth Armed Forces. They get skimmed off the top of the military training camps. The SEAF are the regular guys you see everywhere on every single map, dead, with somehow shittier armor than you, a liberator or break-action shotgun, and NO CAPE. No cape is key. Cape = Helldiver.

Phenotype posted:

Well, it's a little weird because as disposable cannon fodder, you're given access to so much ordinance and initiative. Like, you'd think there would be some non-Helldiver troops that don't get orbital artillery synced to their command, just dudes with a helmet and a rifle that go off in groups much larger than 4, with a proper command structure and officers in the field telling them what to do.

If you want to try to make this fiction work in a believable way in-world it's basically that Super Earth has so much industrial capacity and such a high population that yeah there are literally hundreds of thousands of these top-tier disposable strike soldiers. They can afford to burn dozens of "well-equipped mega elite" soldiers on just one of these insane behind-enemy-lines missions. All of which are like 18-24 years old, each of which is told they are captain of their own cool giant spaceship and has the absolute best equipment and then gets sent on suicide missions. The real guy in charge of the ship is the Democracy Officer, standing next to the mission thing, and everyone just politely pretends the Helldiver is in charge for the 30 minutes between defrosting and death.

Either way I hope we lose a campaign at some point so people can see what happens when we do, and I hope it's the same as the first game: They just move Super Earth to a new planet, pretend it has always been Super Earth, and restart the war.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Servers still a mess with capacity? Or should I hold off another week or 2 to give the devs a break.

(I would like to know more!)

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Yeah, "expendable" is a flexible thing here. Yes they aren't the elite of the elite, but they're absolutely special forces and most of them can take down dozens of enemies that would normally kill a normal soldier. They're also psychologically harder than your average conscript, seeing that they don't mind being shot at the planet to go face to face with monsters and killbots. Some of them might get mulched right after dropping in, but that's the minority of the divers.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

You're frozen after training, right? There's no telling how long it takes to get fighting. It's entirely possible Super Earth has been skimming off the top of it's population to create "super soldiers" for the entire hundred years since the last war.

You're literally loaded into a gun and fired at the enemy. You're the most disposable of disposable forces.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

TehSaurus posted:

Yeah, mission drops are 10 each. I was running easy missions for a bit yesterday and getting a few each mission. Not super fast, but fast-ish and definitely easy. Speaking of, I got the stamina booster yesterday and it makes a big difference!

Oh nice I didn't think to look on solo easies. Btw are credit drops shared? When I picked some up it didn't alert my friends and vice versa

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

One thing I really like about this game is there is no massive grind to get usable gear, it doesn't hand you a lovely feeling gun that's 20% as powerful as it's final form, no randomized stats to grind out, no "kill 75 enemies with headshots with this weapon" to unlock a scope that makes getting headshots feel less lovely and if you want to try something new out you can just grab your friends weapons when they "accidently" die.

This is actually how samples worked in HD1. They upgraded your weapons and strategems. It was a real grind not only unlocking everything but making the weapons better too.

For those of you who love the jetpack, it used to have no cooldown too, just limited fuel. But that was balanced better for isometric play.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

Btw are credit drops shared? When I picked some up it didn't alert my friends and vice versa

All pickups are shared. Supercredits in particular don't even tell the quantity to the person that picked them up. It's a bit weird.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I didn't realize that when we lost in 1 Super Earth packed up and moved lol that's hilarious

raverrn posted:

You're frozen after training, right? There's no telling how long it takes to get fighting. It's entirely possible Super Earth has been skimming off the top of it's population to create "super soldiers" for the entire hundred years since the last war.

You're literally loaded into a gun and fired at the enemy. You're the most disposable of disposable forces.

I'm glad someone else noticed the drop pod shape lmao

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

raverrn posted:

TBH you might be diving into intense hostile fire but the actual act of diving has a 100% success rate. It's probably way safer than the alternative of trying to fly a transport ship down onto the planet. Not to mention that if you were truly that disposable then they probably wouldn't come back and get you after the mission was over.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

CuddleCryptid posted:

TBH you might be diving into intense hostile fire but the actual act of diving has a 100% success rate. It's probably way safer than the alternative of trying to fly a transport ship down onto the planet. Not to mention that if you were truly that disposable then they probably wouldn't come back and get you after the mission was over.

Need to get the samples back / need to have a bare gesture to keep morale up and keep your troops from asking questions. Again, there's a reason extraction is optional: it's unrelated to mission success or failure.

Edit: They literally made a metagame about using your pod to run into the biggest threats on the field. There's an upgrade that makes you better at it.

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I see the servers are still slammed. Was hoping to run a solo mission or something but can't even log in still.

Since there's apparently no AFK kick, I'll just let it run and check back periodically I guess.

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Feb 18, 2024

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Kaddish posted:

I see the servers are still slammed. Was hoping to run a solo mission or something but can't even log in still.

Since there's apparently no AFK kick, I'll just let it run and check back periodically I guess.

No AFK kick? That explains people on my friends list in HD2 with the'zzz'.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Its the Galaxy is a gently caress that always makes me giggle at this.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

drat Dirty Ape posted:

No AFK kick? That explains people on my friends list in HD2 with the'zzz'.

Yeah there are people on the discord saying they let the game on overnight to stay in so they were able to play today. Which is, crazy.

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

I said come in! posted:

Its the Galaxy is a gently caress that always makes me giggle at this.

I'm guessing it's buried in the thread somewhere but I happened to come across it it's too good not to post again.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Myrmidongs posted:

I'm guessing it's buried in the thread somewhere but I happened to come across it it's too good not to post again.

Its always worth posting on every page in the thread.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

raverrn posted:

Need to get the samples back / need to have a bare gesture to keep morale up and keep your troops from asking questions. Again, there's a reason extraction is optional: it's unrelated to mission success or failure.

Edit: They literally made a metagame about using your pod to run into the biggest threats on the field. There's an upgrade that makes you better at it.

Yeah your drop pod does ridiculous damage if it lands on stuff. I've killed a bile titan by landing on its head once*

*we'd already been laying into it, this was just the final shot.

I routinely smash bug holes with dives and I've only once wound up spawned under geometry unable to escape the crater.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!
Apparently if you join someone that's already in-game via the Steam friendslist it'll bypass the login queue :)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Apparently there’s a bug where heavy armor doesn’t do anything. Guy tested heavy and light armor and they each die in the same number of hits

https://www.reddit.com/r/Helldivers...seless-2531982/

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Steve Yun posted:

Apparently there’s a bug where heavy armor doesn’t do anything. Guy tested heavy and light armor and they each die in the same number of hits

Yeah armor isn't calculating correctly at the moment. Perks are, but that's just one more reason light armor remains winning.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

raverrn posted:

There's official lore/history that soon after the previous war the Helldiver program was shut down and only recently was reactivated when the bugs got out of their farms where they were being processed for FTL fuel.

Now up to you if they secretly kept the program running or not, every now and then asking a potential recruit "Psst, hey, wanna be a SPECIAL marine? With a cape?" And they became a meat popsicle, but that really doesn't seem to fit how casual your dude is when they're defrosted and the giant billboard starts having today's popstar General start dropping tutorial tips.

Personally I like the idea that by joining the Helldiver program you've given Super Earth the license to clone you again and again (not that they needed permission since they're rather fascist, but eager recruits get the job done better), which would explain how divers keep getting better as they die. The limited respawns is because its a small ship and the cloning banks only run so fast.

Either way I absolutely agree that the Democracy Officer really runs the ship and is likely deciding where to park the orbital support ship for his diver. But it's a game about being a Yeet Marine so the player gets to decide where they get yeeted.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Phenotype posted:

Well, it's a little weird because as disposable cannon fodder, you're given access to so much ordinance and initiative. Like, you'd think there would be some non-Helldiver troops that don't get orbital artillery synced to their command, just dudes with a helmet and a rifle that go off in groups much larger than 4, with a proper command structure and officers in the field telling them what to do.

The Super Earth Armed Forces (SEAF) are the regular troopers, you can find them in various places dead on the ground, usually near like the artillery secondary objective and the like.

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

The Darktide vibes are strong with this one for so many reasons. I'm expecting the patching journey to be pretty similar here, not exactly holding my breath.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

ijyt posted:

you guys have muscle memory?

I played the original like 7 years ago, but the reinforce motion was still in there somewhere

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

The armor thing has been on the known issues list for a bit, yes. Really makes me curious what is bugged - do all players have 100 armor, the baseline for medium? Do they all have 0? If it's the former then the fix is going to make Suicidal+ missions much more interesting, light armor is sort of the meta.

Grimnarsson
Sep 4, 2018
Queuing actually worked for once! For FREEDUMB!

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

This game is the first time I've ever went past the refund window for a game without even being able to play it once, lmao

e: holy poo poo I got in seconds after this post

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Alkydere posted:

Personally I like the idea that by joining the Helldiver program you've given Super Earth the license to clone you again and again (not that they needed permission since they're rather fascist, but eager recruits get the job done better), which would explain how divers keep getting better as they die. The limited respawns is because its a small ship and the cloning banks only run so fast.

I think the fact that you can randomize your voice and such for every reinforce means they just have 100000 different people on ice on every ship and thaw them as needed

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

So is the game still hosed? I managed to get into the game and it loaded but when I access the galaxy map, literally no one is available to join up with. There's no one on any fuckin planets. What a POS.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

AndyElusive posted:

So is the game still hosed? I managed to get into the game and it loaded but when I access the galaxy map, literally no one is available to join up with. There's no one on any fuckin planets. What a POS.

Kind of yeah. Drop in the goon discord and get in a game that way. Someone will walk you through either joining through steam or friend code.

Baby T. Love
Aug 5, 2009

Phenotype posted:

Well, it's a little weird because as disposable cannon fodder, you're given access to so much ordinance and initiative.

I like to think this is a post-resource-scarcity society that also has cloning and mind upload-download, and really their only concern is convincing humans to do this after their Butlerian Jihad. I know it's a less satirical interpretation but I'm more comfortable with it, lol.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
The game is really fun but the whole Quickplay not working and having to find people to join on Discord to ACTUALLY play in a group is a touch frustrating

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

JonBolds posted:

To be clear in-game the helldivers are the elite of the Super Earth Armed Forces. They get skimmed off the top of the military training camps. The SEAF are the regular guys you see everywhere on every single map, dead, with somehow shittier armor than you, a liberator or break-action shotgun, and NO CAPE. No cape is key. Cape = Helldiver.

If you want to try to make this fiction work in a believable way in-world it's basically that Super Earth has so much industrial capacity and such a high population that yeah there are literally hundreds of thousands of these top-tier disposable strike soldiers. They can afford to burn dozens of "well-equipped mega elite" soldiers on just one of these insane behind-enemy-lines missions. All of which are like 18-24 years old, each of which is told they are captain of their own cool giant spaceship and has the absolute best equipment and then gets sent on suicide missions. The real guy in charge of the ship is the Democracy Officer, standing next to the mission thing, and everyone just politely pretends the Helldiver is in charge for the 30 minutes between defrosting and death.

I keep thinking of helldivers as the Kasrkin from 40k and the democracy officer is literally a Commissar.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Phenotype posted:

Youre given access to it only on a literal alien planet infested with robots or bugs, and clearly they dont expect you to be responsible with it because blowing up other helldivers with it isn't even commented on and is counted as a regular ol' casualty.

There probably are like proper regular armies but why waste all that actual trained infantry when you can give a naked ape 5 minutes of "bootcamp", access to napalm and some explosives and just drop him off on the planet you want dead and see how far they get.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

It would be post scarcity if only the treasonous bugs would stop hoarding all that E-710 that's rightfully and democratically ours!! (Do not look up where E-710 comes from, doing so is treason)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

JonBolds posted:

I saw the training you go through to be a helldiver. We are still very much just cannon fodder.