Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Monathin posted:

It's not about 1000 gold being hard to acquire, the idea that you can lose your powers for something literally not in your control, both from a gameplay and storytelling standpoint, is obviously something they're not going to do. It's not like it's hard to break your oath consciously as a Durge in the first 10 minutes of the game anyway, there's no point shooting yourself in the foot, as a dev, by making it so a character loses their powers by a something completely out of their control. It would feel lovely and unfair to the majority of the userbase, and with good reason!

That said you are clearly an insufferable main character style poster so I'm not engaging in this debate further.

You don't "lose" power by becoming an Oathbreaker. You just get different ones and then can revert back to the previous ones for a pittance of gold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
You can't be held morally responsible for something you do in your sleep

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

my genius solution is to have the oathbreaker give you a freebie for the first time if youre playing as dark urge. apparently theres unique dialogue if youre playing a dark urge paladin so itd be a good way to introduce it

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

cuntman.net posted:

my genius solution is to have the oathbreaker give you a freebie for the first time if youre playing as dark urge. apparently theres unique dialogue if youre playing a dark urge paladin so itd be a good way to introduce it

Letting you choose to lean into either back into your oath or into being an oathbreaker right away for your first time would be a nice compromise I think.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

drat bro, you should email Swen with your killer ideas.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
He’s not demanding the dev responsible for the decision be fired so I guess we’re moving forward as a thread.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
I think the game should let you fart more.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Bum the Sad posted:

Sure, if it breaks your oath.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

You can't be held morally responsible for something you do in your sleep

I confessed immediately, and my entire party was like, "...erm, perhaps you should have that checked out?" like it was a weird mole on my face, rather than me being a sleepwalking killer 🙃

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

wizard2 posted:

I confessed immediately, and my entire party was like, "...erm, perhaps you should have that checked out?" like it was a weird mole on my face, rather than me being a sleepwalking killer 🙃

I mean it's a D&D universe, so murdering in their sleep is probably one of the less weird things that a travelling companion is gonna confess to

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I was expecting Shadowheart to be a little more sympathetic, as a fellow amnesiac who has definitely killed people with great gusto.

Jeff the Mediocre
Dec 30, 2013

Bum the Sad posted:

The game should implement all the wizard spells from space stations 13. I demand the ability to blow everybody's rear end off and turn people into cluwnes

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

The Lord Bude posted:

He’s not demanding the dev responsible for the decision be fired so I guess we’re moving forward as a thread.

Gimme gamer points

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Mike the TV posted:

Sure, if it breaks your oath.
Windbreaker Paladin

chaosapiant posted:

It’s been said I’m sure, but I’d give my right patella for some DLC or a straight up expansion. Raise the level cap to 14/15 and send me on some wild rear end planes traveling and epic level adventures.

What I'd really love is remakes of the Pools of Radiance series in the BG3 engine.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Are there any really good tactics or party synergies I can try to use in this game.

I sorta stumbled through the game letting karlach and laezel carry my frost sorcerer twin casting ray of frost with the various items giving bonuses to the damage. But ultimately my sorc became a haste dispenser. Astarion was around mostly for trap disarms and lock picking.

I really would like to play this game more optimally or in a fun way. My strategy is getting me killed in late game boss fights.

I was hopeful healing and buffing with a light cleric shadowheart would do something but by and large it seems like killing your enemies as fast as possible is better than letting fights drag out while you try to heal or bless.

I’m considering doing another run as an oath of vengeance paladin or a resist-durge where maybe I can play optimally now that I got a taste of how it all works.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

This is from the BG3Builds reddit and links to a Google Doc with a pretty useful compilation of various synergistic party builds.

https://www.reddit.com/r/BG3Builds/s/BRyzbTVcVd

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Kraftwerk posted:

I was hopeful healing and buffing with a light cleric shadowheart would do something but by and large it seems like killing your enemies as fast as possible is better than letting fights drag out while you try to heal or bless.

Yes. Healing is an emergency button if someone gets downed in a fight. Or use a bonus action if you’ve nothing better to do with it.

Any time you spend an action, you should be asking yourself; how can I do the most damage per round? Is using an action to do something other than damage the enemy going to make the party as a whole do more damage this round?

The exception is the very early game where you can’t always reliably hit and inflict damage on enemies so you sometimes need to employ crowd control measures.

A light cleric in the early game has a powerful large radius AoE attack. Then later on they have spirit guardians/fireball. Late game their usefulness tapers off. But you could start taking paladin levels after level 5 instead for example - then shadow heart will be better at combat and can use her spell slots to smite after she casts spirit guardians. Say cleric 5/paladin 5/fighter 2.

Sorcs can do heavy aoe damage - look for spells that will still do damage even if the enemy passes their save. Chain lightning is super good late game.

I’ve posted a number of times recently
Giving a breakdown of powerful builds I’ve used, you can go back and look at those posts for ideas.

For reference, on tactician, my hyper optimised party can do basically every fight in act 3 apart from a couple in one round. Much of the time I could probably still do that with 1-2 characters.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Has it always been a thing during banter that you just can't hear one person's dialogue?

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Feb 18, 2024

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

IME very few builds in BG3 are truly synergistic, being effective in combat usually just means finding the most OP subclass combinations without too much overlapping gear so that you can all wear the best Act 3 pieces. The most consideration you'll have to make is maybe like "I will give Shadowheart DW and make her the Phalar Aluve wench for my MM Wizard," or "I will make Shadowheart the Create Water wench for my Lightning Sorc."

With that in mind, Light Cleric is absolutely busted in this game because you can be a decent caster while also making it virtually almost impossible for any enemies to hit you, and their core setup items don't crossover too much with other classes. Luminous Armor, Radiant Gloves, Coruscant Ring are all you need to make it work, then you can either go all-in on Radiant gear for tankiness, Reverberation for CC, or Fire for pure damage. They get an incredibly good Divinity action early and all the fun Fire spells that Wizards and Sorcs have.

Neorxenawang
Jun 9, 2003

Dawgstar posted:

Has it always been a thing during banter that you just can't hear one person's dialogue?

I had a bug periodically with patch 5 that Karlach specifically would go silent, which was both eerie and disappointing.

Fneeb
Feb 13, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

For me it's pretty consistent that any time I switch around my party the new members are mute in terms of banter/barks until a game reload, didn't see anything about it in the patch notes which is annoying but also not had chance to play either since the update.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Dragonwagon posted:

I want a class besides wizard that has a use for intelligence.

Artificers not being included was criminal considering there’s literally a group of goblin artificers

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Did they change it so you auto succeed in shoving allies?

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Black Noise posted:

Did they change it so you auto succeed in shoving allies?

I tried to grab the chest beside the meazels during combat in act two and pressed shove and despite doing it myself, I've never fully forgiven her for pushing a chest off the map.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

Artificers not being included was criminal considering there’s literally a group of goblin artificers

That's gnomes you dolt

I wish there were more goblins in this game though, considering WotC doesn't like making any humanoids 'evil' these days the lack of variety among goblins is notable

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Make goblins a playable race in BG3 DE!!

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

exquisite tea posted:

Make goblins a playable race in BG3 DE!!

:sss:

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

That's gnomes you dolt

To be fair there's like three races of tiny people with pointy ears in the game so I can see how people occasionally get them mixed up.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

Barcus could have been a party member.

Bum the Sad posted:

https://bg3.wiki/wiki/Stinking_Cloud

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

That's gnomes you dolt

They’re all the same to me

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Cazador Puzzle

Ray of Frost turns these lanterns red for about a round. Only these lanterns in the locked room with the pit. No reaction from other spells. Someone wrote down what they tried back in December when they first claimed the puzzle was fixed https://steamcommunity.com/app/1086940/discussions/0/4032473436333582289/.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Just got done with the Mind Flayer colony and the Myrkul avatar. I'm loaded up with stuff to sell but all the vendors are gone from Last Light Inn. I did a quick walk around Moonrise Tower but didn't see anyone. Where did they go?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Medullah posted:

Just got done with the Mind Flayer colony and the Myrkul avatar. I'm loaded up with stuff to sell but all the vendors are gone from Last Light Inn. I did a quick walk around Moonrise Tower but didn't see anyone. Where did they go?

General mechanics for the end of Act 2 you technically aren't forced to leave the Shadowlands but you're really supposed to do everything you want before starting the Shadowfell/Nightsong/Moonrise sequence. Basically every NPC disappears either because they died in the big fight or moved out of the Shadowlands and progressed into the Act 3 stage of their quests.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Have any of you ever actually read through the game's EULA on Steam?
Section 5 has some pretty onerous restrictions!

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Medullah posted:

If they didn't die earlier, the merchant from Last Light should be hanging out in the main hall.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Entropic posted:

Nobody in the history of the world has ever read a video game’s EULA.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Entropic posted:

It's a pretty good joke. I usually skim EULAs and it got a chuckle out of me.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

If I see the cursed pact screen show up it means I need to reboot my PC. I've seen the EULA a little tooo much.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

The Lord Bude posted:

Nobody in the history of the world has ever read a video game’s EULA.

real question, which is a better tactic for the average consumer with no understanding of the laws or what goes on in a courtroom or whatever:

Should I read a EULA's carefully in full and weigh the pros and cons of my informed legally binding descision, or should I just let ignorance be my strength, mash Accept, and complain after the fact if something goes wrong?

Wouldnt the easiest way to defeat lovely EULA's be to just pirate everything always?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

If I remember correctly, at least one case put forth that EULAs are not actually legally binding if they wave away your consumer rights. EULAs do not trump consumer rights vis-a-vis getting ratfucked.

Of course now that I mention that I feel like this was a case in Europer where consumer protection laws aren't a goddamn fig leaf, so who knows.