Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The corrections remains really good in a way that feels almost like a cosmic joke

God drat it Mel, I do not need this right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout
People who are really annoying hacks can still write great books, like Blood Meridian

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

yes. the prose was pretty fantastic.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

mdemone posted:

I can smell Jonathan Franzen talk, and I just want to say right now that I won't have it.

lmao i was gonna say

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The corrections remains really good in a way that feels almost like a cosmic joke

its a very frustrating book because everyone is unlikeable in different ways, and the ways theyre unlikeable changes constantly based on viewpoint. so i think franzen did accomplish something awfully compelling there

except the lesbian sister who left that lovely family to become a cook and we only kinda hear about her in one chapter iirc. everyone else though, ugh

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

thehoodie posted:

Just finished journey round my skull by frigyes karinthy. His autobiographical account of discovering he has a brain tumor and the process of its removal. Mostly he is in a state of bewilderment. Very funny

his son ferenc wrote a book called epepe that is about a guy getting on the wrong flight and arriving in a country where no one speaks any language he knows and it's all a horrible nightmare, it's very good and also funny

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

CestMoi posted:

his son ferenc wrote a book called epepe that is about a guy getting on the wrong flight and arriving in a country where no one speaks any language he knows and it's all a horrible nightmare, it's very good and also funny

i loved that, it felt very real to me, but at the same time dreamlike and nighmarish as you say. but mostly it felt real

one of the best details imo is that hes an interpreter or something like that, so he spends a lot of time trying to make sense of the language, like a normal person would do. but its not a skill issue lol

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It seems this novel was published as Metropole in English. Might pick up a copy

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

sigh, another two hungarians on my to read pile. thanks :rolleyes:

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

joking aside, korinthy jr. and sr. both sound great

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Bought the last of Fosse's Septology and also a Becky Chambers' first book this week. The clerk at the bookshop didn't say anything about my choices. Just asked if I wanted a bag.

If she's not going to comment on, at the least, my wide literary tastes and willingness to engage with all forms of fiction then I shall be reconsidering where I conduct my purchases.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

they're probably already used to people getting really strange combinations of books

I am always pleased if the clerk of a Proper Bookstore comments "oh, that's a really good book!" to one of my purchases though

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Carthag Tuek posted:

i loved that, it felt very real to me, but at the same time dreamlike and nighmarish as you say. but mostly it felt real

one of the best details imo is that hes an interpreter or something like that, so he spends a lot of time trying to make sense of the language, like a normal person would do. but its not a skill issue lol

it really earns the dissolution of his psyche

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
When I bought Orlando the clerk said, “catching up your high school reading?”

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
drat :iceburn:

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

lifg posted:

When I bought a Mary Berry cooking book the clerk said something along the lines of, "It's a good place to start. You'll start to learn with that." Or similar.

I said something along the lines of, "It's a present. And some people work serious jobs where they don't have time or energy to engage with making house." But I was more polite.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Mrenda posted:

I said something along the lines of, "It's a present. And some people work serious jobs where they don't have time or energy to engage with making house." But I was more polite.

Insanely lame answer

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Ras Het posted:

Insanely lame answer

It was truth, so therefore beautiful.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
Reading Kathy Acker's Blood and Guts in High School. Featuring her drawings of dicks and vaginas on every 3rd page. Good stuff

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

finally started The man without qualities

book owns, I also enjoy that it actually has chapters, and that they're short enough for commute reading. chapter 8 has so far my most favourite description of early 1900s city life so far, just stellar

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
Döblin's Berlin Alexanderplatz is my top choice for that

Of my last few reads, Isabel Waidner's Sterling Karat Gold is probably my favourite, an angry surrealist lgbt+ trip thru the 21st century London.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

i have him on my radar again since there was recently a new translation of reise in polen. I really want to read that and berlin, alexanderplatz hopefully within this year

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Burning Rain posted:

Of my last few reads, Isabel Waidner's Sterling Karat Gold is probably my favourite, an angry surrealist lgbt+ trip thru the 21st century London.

Was interested in that but I don't think I could source it without paying silly money for a book and she seemed kinda aggro.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Mrenda posted:

When I bought a Mary Berry cooking book the clerk said something along the lines of, "It's a good place to start. You'll start to learn with that." Or similar.

I would've said "NO YOU SHUT THE gently caress UP DAD!"

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Carthag Tuek posted:

its a very frustrating book because everyone is unlikeable in different ways, and the ways theyre unlikeable changes constantly based on viewpoint. so i think franzen did accomplish something awfully compelling there

except the lesbian sister who left that lovely family to become a cook and we only kinda hear about her in one chapter iirc. everyone else though, ugh

I still love how an entire characters arc is trying to make Philadelphia cool, which is like, the most effete New York Liberal perspective possible. Philadelphia is an insane sports town which anarcho-vegans, its already cool

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

im somewhat curious of two giant italian tomes. has anyone read The catholic school and M.: son of the century yet?

Volcano
Apr 10, 2008

we're leaving the planet
and you can't come

Just finished Last Orders by Graham Swift and A Short Stay In Hell by Steven L. Peck and they were both pretty decent. Notably fewer eels than Waterland. I dunno if my view on Last Orders would be different if I had read As I Lay Dying as apparently they are pretty similar.

I'm on to Time Shelter by Georgi Gospodinov now. Anyone else in here read this? I don't know if I've read any Bulgarian authors before so excited to branch out. It seems interesting so far.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

ulvir posted:

im somewhat curious of two giant italian tomes. has anyone read The catholic school and M.: son of the century yet?

M is good. Scurati uses this unusual technique where he fictionalizes actual historical events and follows that up by verbatim quotes of sources he used such as letters, newspaper articles and similar. I enjoyed it greatly, but my interest in the matter might be deeper than yours, since the historical events in the book directly affected my family history, and I already knew quite a bit about the events and characters featured in the book(s).

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

that sounds both very similar to how Trieste was written, and also very much my jam

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Volcano posted:

Just finished Last Orders by Graham Swift and A Short Stay In Hell by Steven L. Peck and they were both pretty decent. Notably fewer eels than Waterland. I dunno if my view on Last Orders would be different if I had read As I Lay Dying as apparently they are pretty similar.

I'm on to Time Shelter by Georgi Gospodinov now. Anyone else in here read this? I don't know if I've read any Bulgarian authors before so excited to branch out. It seems interesting so far.

I keep meaning to read Last Orders.

I wasnt the biggest fan of Waterland

Volcano
Apr 10, 2008

we're leaving the planet
and you can't come

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I keep meaning to read Last Orders.

I wasnt the biggest fan of Waterland

I definitely enjoyed Last Orders more than I did Waterland (which I didn't really like that much either) – possibly because a lot of the bereavement and grief stuff hit me hard due to dealing with that myself recently. I have seen a lot of people give it poo poo for Swift's attempts to write in a cor bloimey working-class South London vernacular, and I wouldn't really disagree with those complaints, but it worked alright for me.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

lol, the man without qualities had a chapter that said any lazy reader could skip past it

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Page 67 of Gravity's Rainbow: Pynchon has written a page waxing lyrical about crusty human feces, and it isn't even that scene that people talk about.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Berg by Ann Quin ... thread would enjoy it. Good prose, cool artefact of 60s

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

FPyat posted:

Page 67 of Gravity's Rainbow: Pynchon has written a page waxing lyrical about crusty human feces, and it isn't even that scene that people talk about.

There aren't even just two

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I still love how an entire characters arc is trying to make Philadelphia cool, which is like, the most effete New York Liberal perspective possible. Philadelphia is an insane sports town which anarcho-vegans, its already cool

ive only been in philly once but it seemed about par for an american city to me, ie wouldnt wanna live there. so its very funny to me when people from philadelphia or new york are like "no my city is better", but i dont remember picking up on that when i read it (which tbf was in like 2005)

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

lifg posted:

I graduated high school *ahem* years ago and I'm about to start my first reading of Crime and Punishment :D

(the Coulson translation)

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Carthag Tuek posted:

ive only been in philly once but it seemed about par for an american city to me, ie wouldnt wanna live there. so its very funny to me when people from philadelphia or new york are like "no my city is better", but i dont remember picking up on that when i read it (which tbf was in like 2005)

its very much a liverpool london comparison you might say

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Ive been to New York, phily, London and Liverpool I think they all suck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
New York is the worst tho