Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
It's funny that in training Brasch's lines are canned recordings, if you stop to read the fine print monoliths a technician pipes up over the intercom and awkwardly tells you to please hurry up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Herstory Begins Now posted:

literally the game could not be any clearer that you are the disposable cannon fodder

Yes, but fearless and 7 feet tall.

Doobie Keebler
May 9, 2005

I know it's probably not working for everyone but I was able to get in (after about 20 minutes) and get into groups with random matchmaking. It seemed to work better on bug worlds than bots.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
Helldivers think they're special forces because the ship needs a way to target things on the ground and you may as well let the sensor array think it's in charge if things go smoother.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Fishstick posted:

Works like other eagles except you only get one use of it before it has to rearm. Compared to the other strikes I feel it's a bit underwhelming in terms of effectiveness other than for niche cases you can also solve in other ways (ie: getting rid of bile titans). Despite the huge explosion the actual effective range seems tiny, similar to Hellbombs. Ive tried it a couple times now and I always go back to some other strat to fullfill 500kg roles. Regular strikes or clusters wipe out groups more reliably than the 500kg, and the orbital laser/railguns do a better job of deleting big targets/objective structures.
For what it's worth I felt the same way when I first got it, but I've recently come back to it and it seems to work a hell of a lot better now? Like it'll wipe a group like I expect it to instead of before when it would kill maybe 2 or 3 enemies. Don't know if they silently fixed it in one of the patches or maybe if the damage fall-off upgrade for orbital stratagems works on it (despite it saying it's only for orbitals v:shobon:v).

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://i.imgur.com/DM5DAiV.mp4

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

the slight delay on draw/key press queuing is like fine poison to old gamer reflexes

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

ijyt posted:

yes but things explode and burn which is cool and immediately better than a boring bullet

This guy gets it. A True Citizen.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

How does the scout armor radar work? Is it waypoints on the map or pings with Q?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Tiny Chalupa posted:

The game is really fun but the whole Quickplay not working and having to find people to join on Discord to ACTUALLY play in a group is a touch frustrating

i can't even get past the server queue

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

The Slack Lagoon posted:

How does the scout armor radar work? Is it waypoints on the map or pings with Q?

Waypoints.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
orbital laser or orbital railgun?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Herstory Begins Now posted:

literally the game could not be any clearer that you are the disposable cannon fodder

[A Representative of the Super Earth Ministry of Truth is Rapidly Approaching Your Position]

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

meant to include the full glitch

https://i.imgur.com/3hAVhxr.mp4

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,

Phenotype posted:

Well, it's a little weird because as disposable cannon fodder, you're given access to so much ordinance and initiative. Like, you'd think there would be some non-Helldiver troops that don't get orbital artillery synced to their command, just dudes with a helmet and a rifle that go off in groups much larger than 4, with a proper command structure and officers in the field telling them what to do.

There are absolutely regular SEAF troops that are even more cannon fodder than Helldivers, their corpses are loving scattered all over every single map. Also one of the npcs on your ship talks about how they go in and mop up/secure areas after Helldivers clear them out.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Is there a trick/gimmick with the points of interest where it's just a note that says "sorry, I took the supplies"? Even when I've read the note the POI marker stays on the map, and it makes me wonder if there's something I'm missing in the area/just not shooting enough.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,

Baiard posted:

It's funny that in training Brasch's lines are canned recordings, if you stop to read the fine print monoliths a technician pipes up over the intercom and awkwardly tells you to please hurry up.

that owns :aaa:

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

I prefer the railgun, I tend to shoot more than 3 times a mission so the laser is kinda a bummer. The laser is the more powerful option though.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Count the tanks!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Tbh you usually have three objectives and you can limit yourself to firing the orbital laser while you are doing those objectives. Sometimes you don't need to fire it and have one for extract.

It's so powerful that I think it's still worth using despite limitations.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Hows the orbital laser against titans?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
The laser is great when you need to clear an assortment of trash and it's mixed between fodder and armored bugs, but you've got poo poo to Do so you just toss a laser and forget about it.

The railcannon is great when you want to pop a titan or a charger RIGHT NOW.

My setup these days has been clusters/laser/railcannon/railgun.

edit: or would be, if I could loving log in and play this weekend at all.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Hows the orbital laser against titans?

It gets the job done, but it does take a while.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

watch out for sam sites
they can cause unexpected falling objects

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thSMZEMNDCM

disregard my friends making arrested development jokes

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

loving quick play works but I'm joining one other player every single time so far

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

I didn't understand the going prone bit in the tutorial and thought I was supposed to dive PAST the turrets so failed 4-5 times trying to nail it and an annoyed tech voice popped on being like "Uhhh... diving to prone is required to advance this portion of the training..." and it was so out of place with the over-the-top recorded general's voice lines it was perfect.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
https://i.imgur.com/sSeInBt.mp4

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

Laser for me. Railgun is good for deleting one heavy target, but given time the laser does it too and doesn't overkill - it'll finish off the damaged hulks in the mix of all the trash and delete some other high value targets while it's at it. For destruction objectives they both do the job just as well, laser just takes a few seconds more, but will happily remove a couple factories from an outpost while it's zapping stuff.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Fishstick posted:

Laser for me. Railgun is good for deleting one heavy target, but given time the laser does it too and doesn't overkill - it'll finish off the damaged hulks in the mix of all the trash and delete some other high value targets while it's at it. For destruction objectives they both do the job just as well, laser just takes a few seconds more, but will happily remove a couple factories from an outpost while it's zapping stuff.

If you are assisting the laser it becomes better too. Like you drop it onto a big horde and it melts all the small poo poo then destroys chargers while you add a little bit on with your personal AT weapons.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

How is performance for lower end PCs? My computer is just barely above the min spec. Is it GPU or CPU heavier?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Phenotype posted:

Well, it's a little weird because as disposable cannon fodder, you're given access to so much ordinance and initiative.

You are literally shot out of a cannon at the start of each dive! You are the ammo.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Holy poo poo got in server in 3 minutes and matchmaking found me a 4 man. Magic

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Never mind game crashed

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
https://i.imgur.com/rAkDpUA.mp4

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Guess the servers are just gonna be borked until they implement something to kill all the idlers :argh:

e] I meant to type kick, but, well....

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I'm not a computer genius - would it be that hard to implement a 15 minute afk kick? 15 mins seems generous enough to take a poo poo or make a coffee and come back while short enough to keep the number low and keep the logins moving.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

I just found out the hard way that you can get automaton Tanks spawning on Medium difficulty. :mildpanic:

I only had one Eagle bombing run left on me at the time, which I used on the tank. Cue me hiding in a hole nearby waiting for it to cooldown so I could deal with a tower with a tank turret on top that had me pinned down.

I can't wait to play with actual people again.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
huff... a random geometry spike spawned in front of the console so I couldn't use it

also had a bug earlier where I couldn't get into the pelican, but at least there I got credit for completing the objective

and an issue where the civilians took a super long circuitous path around the backside of the safety point instead of just... walking to it

but otherwise game fun!

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Oh my god the autocannon is so loving good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Homeless Friend posted:

Yes, but fearless and 7 feet tall.

The player character is on so many drugs

Like so many very powerful drugs