Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
did starship troopers outright state the humans caused the 9/11 inciting incident on purpose to fuel a war or only imply that? maybe that would make it clearer for people, dunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jazzyjay
Sep 11, 2003

PULL OVER
Verhoven on the set of ST: "I've met writers who use subtext and they're all cowards."

And if the space Nazis were supposed to be evil then how come they're all hot?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Light Gun Man posted:

did starship troopers outright state the humans caused the 9/11 inciting incident on purpose to fuel a war or only imply that? maybe that would make it clearer for people, dunno.
It's been a while since I've seen it, but I don't think the movie gives any specific indication that the asteroid strike is a false flag, although it could be.

However, either way I think it was pretty clear that humans instigated the conflict by invading the Bugs' space.

(I think it would actually have been almost impossible for the bugs to have intentionally attempted to target earth with the goal of attacking humans with an asteroid traveling from the bugs' territory not traveling by FTL because at the very least they would have had to launch it before humans had any technology, but I don't know if that was written to show that it had to be a false flag or it just didn't occur to the writers?)

mystes fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Feb 18, 2024

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
That video owns. TNG was really the only Star Trek I ever really liked so it's a fun vid.

Never had any idea of any of these plexiglass issues lol

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Light Gun Man posted:

I don't think the implication was it was a false flag, but more like the actual 9/11 where it was the bugs retaliating for hosed up poo poo the humans had done. I think they had destroyed a bug planet before the attack. I kinda remember it being implied but not really stated.

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo
It helps that they never show the bugs as having the capability to do the asteroid attack

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

1glitch0 posted:

I don't think the implication was it was a false flag, but more like the actual 9/11 where it was the bugs retaliating for hosed up poo poo the humans had done. I think they had destroyed a bug planet before the attack. I kinda remember it being implied but not really stated.

I believe the book makes it clear that it was a false flag by the humans to solidify support for the war.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

First of May posted:

I believe the book makes it clear that it was a false flag by the humans to solidify support for the war.

That's what I remember but it's been a while

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Kingo Ligma posted:

Dickensian (Philip K.)
lol

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

hosed-Up Little Dog posted:

It helps that they never show the bugs as having the capability to do the asteroid attack
this

this was like the first thing that made me realize the movie was not being upfront about the information it was presenting, wtf guys

you're told that a giant cave beetle on another planet in another solar system "attacked" earth, while you're shown footage of a meteor strike, and in the same breath you're told that they "colonize" other planets by "hurling their spores into space" (meaning they're not actually space-faring, they're just interplanetary pollinators) and nobody in the movie thinks to question it even though it makes no sense
it's less like 9/11 and more like if we blamed mount st. helens erupting on great white sharks

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

watched the virgin suicides at the alamo

it's cool because the form of the film follows its subject matter: as late 20th century white suburbia was suffocating, insufferable, and absurd, so too is the film

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

You can hear the palpable disdain as the man himself has to lay it out clear as day in the commentary track
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkOqiweYfwQ&t=73s

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021

kalel posted:

it's cool because the form of the film follows its subject matter: as late 20th century white suburbia was suffocating, insufferable, and absurd, so too is the film

hmm..yes...indubitably

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

kalel posted:

alamo is playing existenz this week. people itt were posting about it a while ago, is it actually worth seeing in the theater or were you all just trolling

It's top-tier Cronenberg. Videodrome stands alone as the GOAT, but eXistenZ is in the tier right below that.

Glad you're still going hard with the screenings. I just Her a week or two ago, which I've seen several times but had missed in the original theatrical run. And I've got Big Trouble in Little China coming up as a midnight movie on Saturday!

Crescent Wrench fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Feb 25, 2024

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

kalel posted:

Yeah but the soundtrack is pretty dang good. Love Air, I practically breathe it at this point.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

CaptainBeefart posted:

Yeah but the soundtrack is pretty dang good. Love Air, I practically breathe it at this point.

this I cannot deny. you don't really mind that nothing happens because you can just vibe out. the prom scene was comfy

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Light Gun Man posted:

It's never outright stated who is directly responsible for the rock or if it was a fluke but the Arachnids do have the ability to colonize other worlds via plasma and wormhole travel and they're much smarter than the Federation would like people to believe. Personally I believe that the Arachnids did throw the asteroid in retaliation for the "Mormon Extremists" setting up a colony in their territory and the Federation just let it hit Earth to justify an invasion. Constant aggression against the Arachnids before they finally snap and retaliate and then their retaliation is used to call them mindless savages.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Feb 19, 2024

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

First of May posted:

lol awesome.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Arc Hammer posted:

It's never outright stated who is directly responsible for the rock or if it was a fluke but the Arachnids do have the ability to colonize other worlds via plasma and wormhole travel and they're much smarter than the Federation would like people to believe. Personally I believe that the Arachnids did throw the asteroid in retaliation for the "Mormon Extremists" setting up a colony in their territory and the Federation just let it hit Earth to justify an invasion.

The underlying premise is that the bugs are simple creatures and that we could easily just get out of their way and establish a "let bygones be bygones" policy. Galaxy big! The movie even brings this argument up as something dumb and worthy of ridicule and so you, the audience, should naturally assume that of course they're lying and it's 100% possible.

The bugs being a legitimate threat, even if we "fired the first shot" and they were just lashing out for survival, legitimizes the ugly fascism our society has to turn into, and undermines the message of the movie.

All this to say... no. Of course they didn't throw the asteroid. It was obviously a false flag job.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
is it better or worse if the asteroid was just a random asteroid no one was causing and the humans just used it as an excuse? lol

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

sure okay posted:

The underlying premise is that the bugs are simple creatures and that we could easily just get out of their way and establish a "let bygones be bygones" policy. Galaxy big! The movie even brings this argument up as something dumb and worthy of ridicule and so you, the audience, should naturally assume that of course they're lying and it's 100% possible.

The bugs being a legitimate threat, even if we "fired the first shot" and they were just lashing out for survival, legitimizes the ugly fascism our society has to turn into, and undermines the message of the movie.

All this to say... no. Of course they didn't throw the asteroid. It was obviously a false flag job.

Except that the Arachnids aren't just simple creatures, they have a structured society that rivals humanity. We can still be sympathetic to the bugs without also infantilizing them.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Uhh I dont see them feeding propaganda videos to each other and wearing long black coats so no I don't think they rival humanity at all!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

sure okay posted:

Uhh I dont see them feeding propaganda videos to each other and wearing long black coats so no I don't think they rival humanity at all!

Clearly we just haven't been introduced to the media consuming members of the Arachnid society, the couch bugs.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

Murdstone posted:

poo poo like this makes me want to see this movie tbh

The villain gets crushed to death by the letter "S" from a Pepsi sign.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

I can’t get a read on Sofia Coppola and I know her movies all suffer from afluenza but they’re more interesting than 99% of the trash that comes out

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

The asteroid was killed in Vietnam

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

you may not like it but this is what peak modern filmmaking looks like:

Castor Poe posted:

The villain gets crushed to death by the letter "S" from a Pepsi sign.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

spider starts with an 's' :smugdog:

mystes
May 31, 2006

sure okay posted:

We are given virtually no information about them, which isn't surprising considering that humans are shown as having zero interest in even trying to understand them. How could we possibly know whether they are "simple creatures" or not? Do we even know how they communicate?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The only good bug is a dead bug. That’s all the information I need.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I'm from Buenos Ares and I say kill em all!!

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I find the concept of the bug that can think offensive

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

You think a bug ever told another bug they were "a little wild on the stick"? :heysexy:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

sure okay posted:

No it doesn't! Christ, we've got a real-world example going on now with Israel and the Oct 7 attack.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

sure okay posted:

You think a bug ever told another bug they were "a little wild on the stick"? :heysexy:

Don't exceed port speed.

Or what?

They'll revoke your brain privileges. And mine.

So your life is in my hands :heysexy:

Sex Farm
Nov 17, 2017

poisonpill posted:

I can’t get a read on Sofia Coppola and I know her movies all suffer from afluenza but they’re more interesting than 99% of the trash that comes out

She makes pretty good movies

Barudak
May 7, 2007

mystes posted:

We are given virtually no information about them, which isn't surprising considering that humans are shown as having zero interest in even trying to understand them. How could we possibly know whether they are "simple creatures" or not? Do we even know how they communicate?

They communicate via Neil Patrick Harris telling us their feelings.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

mystes posted:

It seemed like they communicate with psychic powers. That was my assumption and the old video game had that explanation too. Either way, they have no technology or culture. They may not be entirely guilty, but I don't think this is an Ender's Game situation.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
why wouldnt it be pheromones or dancing like how actual insects communicate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

That’s how Johnny Rico communicates, too