Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Hadlock posted:

Can you put one of those on a wood deck or does it need to go on the ground? Maybe with some cement pavers underneath? I had no idea I needed this

it’s sitting on its original 6” feet which don’t get too hot even when I get it roaring with fire coming out the chimney lol but I’ve got some old tiles I’ve put under the legs previously that the PO didn’t use when they updated the kitchen

it’s also less than 6’ from a hose and outdoor shower so it’ll be fine. plus I need to replace this deck someday anyways so if I get forced to that’s fine lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I was asking for my own information, we have a 15x20 wood deck/back patio and it gets cold in the summer here at sunset. We were gonna do a fire pit but I think this is the better option

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Qwijib0 posted:

Paintchat, for southwest-dwellers, Dunn Edwards also makes excellent paint with solids % equivalent to the premium national brands, but it tends to run a bit cheaper.

I saw at least 25 gallons of this stuff in my living room this morning while the painters were setting up all the window/floor/etc coverings. I'm quite excited.

Rotten
May 21, 2002

As a shadow I walk in the land of the dead

Hadlock posted:

I was asking for my own information, we have a 15x20 wood deck/back patio and it gets cold in the summer here at sunset. We were gonna do a fire pit but I think this is the better option

Propane fire pit/stand/whatever is also an option. I have some hardware store one and it works great, no smoke is nice

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We have been running the fireplace once or twice a week this winter, wife and toddler are big fans. Propane is nice and clean but seems like it only puts out a third of the actual heat. Maybe the model portable fire pit we used at the Airbnb just really sucked.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Speaking of fireplaces, is there usually a way to manually open and ignite a ventless fireplace insert?

Ours has an on-off switch on the wall nearby to let the valve open but I’ve never investigated what it’s hooked up to on the fireplace side.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.

Hadlock posted:

Can you put one of those on a wood deck or does it need to go on the ground? Maybe with some cement pavers underneath? I had no idea I needed this

While perhaps not the safest arrangement I lived at a house for a few years with one of these on the wood deck out back. We had fires all the time and it was fine. As with all fires, they need to be attended at all times.

The only way I see it becoming a problem is if some drunk rear end in a top hat knocks the entire thing over or something, unless you’re building fires that exceed the capacity of the unit in which case you’re going to burn something down anyway.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Qwijib0 posted:

Paintchat, for southwest-dwellers, Dunn Edwards also makes excellent paint with solids % equivalent to the premium national brands, but it tends to run a bit cheaper.

Dunn-Edwards also exists in CA as well as the south-west, and it is up there with Benjamin Moore in terms of my go-to brands for good paint.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Tiny Timbs posted:

Speaking of fireplaces, is there usually a way to manually open and ignite a ventless fireplace insert?

Ours has an on-off switch on the wall nearby to let the valve open but I’ve never investigated what it’s hooked up to on the fireplace side.

If it's natural gas then your fireplace may have an optional battery attachment, that's probably the best option in the event of power loss. Otherwise it's probably dependent on the model, mine is not made to be operated without power (thus the battery attachment)

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

Hadlock posted:

We have a solo stove and it works great for this application, and has the added bonus of being great to take when we are camping

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

ROJO posted:

Dunn-Edwards also exists in CA as well as the south-west, and it is up there with Benjamin Moore in terms of my go-to brands for good paint.

CA is as southwest as you can get.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Ahahahah

I was finally feeling well enough after a week of being sick to go get the new pipe and finish the plumbing. Hahaha.

So I hopped in the shower to get ready and of course, of course, the power chooses that moment to cut out, so fine. No more water. I'll just skip the shower and hope the power is back later and if it isnt, no biggie, I can get this done regardless. Haha.

So I drive out, past the mysteriouslly shattered telephone pole, and rather abruptly my car starts dragging on one side. Huh. Yep, flat tire, hahah.

So here I am now, sitting in a parking spot, wondering what divine being I managed to piss off.

Also, it has started to snow.

H110Hawk posted:

Do you live in a cartoon? Do you hear whimsical music and a laugh track going in the background?

I think I can now answer this question. I do not live in a cartoon. There is no whimsical music. I live in hell.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Feb 17, 2024

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

GlyphGryph posted:

I think I can now answer this question. I do not live in a cartoon. There is no whimsical music. I live in hell.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

GlyphGryph posted:

Ahahahah

Have you considered making peace with the witch/voodoo priest etc that you wronged in the past?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I dont recall angering any priests, witches, ghosts or gods, but I did let my 8 year old do that blood and ghostflame ritual to curse the house... I am always up for an excuse to whip up a few pounds of ghostflame, and he was SO excited to do the blood sacrifice, but maybe in hindsight, it was a bad decision?

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Me: “I’m going to get better at DIYing small projects and straightforward repairs, especially plumbing”

Multiple small issues with straightforward plumbing repairs crash through the wall while we are under immense stress from work deadlines and medical stuff: “sup nerd, got a dip?”

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
I thought this whole saga started with wanting to glue up the sink back to the counter, and now we're balls deep into structural framing issues?

Honestly that sounds about right, we've all been there :ohdear:

sillyloquy
Dec 4, 2008
First day in my new house yesterday - discovered that the front door knob's latch was being held on by duct tape.

Sure there's some wood missing in the door around where you'd want to screw it in but... I hope I never get to the point where I slap duct tape on something instead of just using 1/2" longer screws. Praise be to Gary.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

sillyloquy posted:

First day in my new house yesterday - discovered that the front door knob's latch was being held on by duct tape.

Sure there's some wood missing in the door around where you'd want to screw it in but... I hope I never get to the point where I slap duct tape on something instead of just using 1/2" longer screws. Praise be to Gary.

That’s weird I didn’t know my mom sold her house. (see also using liberal amounts of caulk to fill any sized gap caused by any reason).

timepenguin
Jul 1, 2006

Precisely.
I've got a cased opening into a den/office that I would like to close off with some doors. It looks to be a standard ~72in x ~80in with a few 16ths variations on the trim, mostly level. I'd prefer the easiest route and was thinking of some slab French (w/ glass for light pass thorugh) doors using some non-mortise hinges. However, inside the room from the frame to the walls are only 2 and a half feet so the doors wouldn't fully open/lay flat and would block some usable space. Next option would be some sort of bifold French door style but everything seems more geared toward closets and frosted glass which might be ok. I'm not the biggest fan of a track system and the gaps it leaves say at the bottom; there are some barn-style hinging systems but I dislike barn style.

Where can I find the right style folding/bi-fold doors that let light in?

Do I really need to go with pre-hung? I'm already reworking trim after doing floors so now might be the time...

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

What about narrowing the opening to your sitting room until a standard size pair of French Doors will fit? That way they can swing all the way open on both sides

Light switch behind a bi-fold door is gonna be a real pain to use

sillyloquy
Dec 4, 2008
Tried out hands at sealing the currently un-sealed grout in the shower and holy crap, that stuff is thermonuclear. We had to abandon the house to air out until tomorrow.

The good news is that our timeline for completing our pre-move in list of repairs is completely shot, so we can get moving on to the acceptance stage of grief a little quicker.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

I like your fish!

timepenguin
Jul 1, 2006

Precisely.

Hadlock posted:

What about narrowing the opening to your sitting room until a standard size pair of French Doors will fit? That way they can swing all the way open on both sides

Light switch behind a bi-fold door is gonna be a real pain to use

Oh yeah wasn't thinking about the light switch, could be a minor inconvenience but also could get old. I don't want to invest too much effort in reframing however narrowing by using sidelights could be a great solution. But is there anywhere that sells that as a prehung solution? Not sure I'm in the mood to work out a larger project. The closet things I can find are go nothing pinterest pictures or UK/AUS.

sexy tiger boobs posted:

I like your fish!

Thanks! Came from a painter in Belize

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Just waiting for the plumbing glue to dry (2 hours, it says) and then it's time to try out the new plumbing.

Man, though, that last bit where you need to get all the bits to fit together with the pvc glue, needing both speed and precision in tight quarters, was way less fun than I was expecting!

Can't wait to see how I hosed this up meaning I have to redo the whole thing.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

GlyphGryph posted:

Just waiting for the plumbing glue to dry (2 hours, it says) and then it's time to try out the new plumbing.

Man, though, that last bit where you need to get all the bits to fit together with the pvc glue, needing both speed and precision in tight quarters, was way less fun than I was expecting!

Can't wait to see how I hosed this up meaning I have to redo the whole thing.

It's also a blast when you cut and dry fit everything and then assemble and the lubricating properties of wet glue allow the joints to fit deeper and now you have a problem

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Welp, I hosed it up. Time to cut it all out and do it again, lol. Back part of the p trap ended up being higher than expected, or the front part... lower? I didn't even noticed it when dry fitting, but running water through it and it doesn't drain properly and that's almost certainly the reason why. Whoops. Well, time to rebuy all the angles and try a second time - this time I think I'm gonna actually try some water BEFORE doing all the glue, even though I know it will leak lol

Edit: Not ALL all of it, the stuff in the basements all seems to be testing fine thankfully. Just the bit under the sink needs to be redone.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

GlyphGryph posted:

Welp, I hosed it up. Time to cut it all out and do it again, lol. Back part of the p trap ended up being higher than expected, or the front part... lower? I didn't even noticed it when dry fitting, but running water through it and it doesn't drain properly and that's almost certainly the reason why. Whoops. Well, time to rebuy all the angles and try a second time - this time I think I'm gonna actually try some water BEFORE doing all the glue, even though I know it will leak lol

Edit: Not ALL all of it, the stuff in the basements all seems to be testing fine thankfully. Just the bit under the sink needs to be redone.

so many easy thread titles here

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
:pressf:

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Watching a Gary in action

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Ungratek posted:

Watching a Gary in action

Suddenly wondering about home quality in Gary Indiana.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Posted on page 613 about my neighbor's slowly-dissolving house two doors down.

Getting up the nerve to try & speak with them, just working on the best strategy to offer assistance without being a nosey parker.

Here's the issue:

It was 42-degrees when I took these.

e: the intact (grey) five-tab "fishscale" asbestos shingle around the chimney was installed by the roofer to remedy their demo. It's been more than a decade, so they have no recourse. The fact that they didn't pursue it when it happened speaks volumes.

VVV going to talk to them directly first. I figure: the fewer folks (and they know me on sight) the better for now.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Feb 21, 2024

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I liked the suggestion to see if you could "launder" support through Habitat for Humanity. Any luck there?

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Sundae posted:

Suddenly wondering about home quality in Gary Indiana.

I've driven through Gary, it's not great!

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
My buddy and I rode our bikes from Chicago to Michigan one year byand went through Gary around 7am. It was even worse in person, visually with all the decay vs what you see speeding by on the highway at 80 mph. But everybody was pretty nice and gave us more space on the road then anywhere else.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

So I'm not being not picky here after the carpet installers left right??

About 38 post-it notes where scratches to my newly painted walls happened. The installer is hand waving it.
Some are light (won't go away with a wipe though).

I'd post pictures but apparently imgur is down.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/TxR8rnjzPmnpK2NW7

Here's some google photos linked....

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Na that’s super lovely.

I’d probably just touch them up myself though if they are being dicks about it.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah I'm not trusting them to touch my walls. I'm headed to SW in the AM to get a half or full gallon of paint and basically painting the lower 3 ft of my walls. It's every single wall.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

tater_salad posted:

Yeah I'm not trusting them to touch my walls. I'm headed to SW in the AM to get a half or full gallon of paint and basically painting the lower 3 ft of my walls. It's every single wall.

You're likely going to need to repaint the walls, period. YMMV based on the paint etc, but the last time I did a room and had some scuffs like that you could absolutely see the patch after it dried, and the previous coat was only a few days old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bixington
Feb 27, 2011

made me feel all nippley inside my tittychest
Having to repaint a room after laying fresh carpet was an actual nightmare I had recently.