Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The neogeo pad doesnt hurt the thumb and im always hurting it playing on any other pad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

Cat Machine posted:

Learning EWGF is really fascinating to me because I feel like my brain must be practicing it subconsciously when I’m sleeping. Sometimes I just boot up the game and can somehow do it cleaner on my first try than in any of the previous night’s 400 attempts.

Your brain isn't 'practicing' at night, it is building. When you sleep it builds and reinforces the neural pathways that you highlighted for it when you practiced during the day. This is how it works. It's also why you should always practice very deliberately, so you don't give your brain sloppy instructions; and why there isn't too much point in grinding out practice for hours, there is only so much the brain can do per night and you just need to give it enough so it does the work (and long practice also increases the likelihood of sloppiness creeping in).

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Cat Machine posted:

Doing the second part of KBD/EWGF by thumb-sliding rather than jabbing made a big difference for me

This is brilliant and I'm gonna do it.

I haven't needed to do KBD in yellow. A couple back dashes do the trick most of the time. So I drill it for five minutes before I start playing so I don't lose the feel for it.

I think one of my favorite things about Tekken is that there are all kinds of techniques and approaches to take to a match. You can win by coming in close and being better at the jab game. You can get space and whiff punish and work on pokes. You can launch into a big fat combo and let the damage carry you. You can push for all the plus frames you'd want and abuse that. You can rely on evasive moves to do the dodging for you to some degree. You can build a strategy around any given subset of moves and you can always add something new to expand it.

I have this issue with any given fighting game I play, where I get pretty okay at it, but end up needing to clean up bits of my plan to really exceed the plateau I end up at. But I always get frustrated at that point because overcoming the plateau feels like a linear process. Maybe it's just new game good vibes talking but I feel like I could be improving lots of different things for a very long time in Tekken without feeling like I'm at a plateau.

Levin posted:

I have no understanding of their abilities or performance compared to other characters and you've definitely got me pegged. Still though, gently caress Feng.

I'm a poo poo player in yellow ranks but I play him if you ever wanna run a few sets.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
If I, a total scrub, can get to Orange by doing nothing but 'Poke, wait for them to do something dumb, TO THE MOON MY FRIEND', then you can.

E: It's amazing, seriously, how many players eventually do an entirely unnecessary blocked launcher if you just wait. They're so reliant on 'the other guy pushed a button' after every string they do, they can't deprogram it. The only issue with this approach is actually 'aware' players will overwhelm you, especially if they're good at mixup.

Shockeh fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Feb 18, 2024

Char
Jan 5, 2013
I didn't spend 60$ to spend my time blocking
-sun tzu, probably
Also, from complete Tekken noobs like me, stuff like "yeah the mishima 112 sequence is always launchable" is completely alien because
1) the animation doesn't look like it's like -17 on block for ALL the characters with a "flash something combo", Reina included
2) I understood the importance of the concept of "launcher" like 20-30 hours in
3) I don't know yet the frame properties of all launchers of the characters I play
I'm getting more and more why Tekken is way more knowledge based than the average FG.

Anyway...
I am feeling other characters now, spent some time with Victor and Paul
Stuck with Paul because he seems "Vanilla Moves, The Character", and feels like he's not much different from Asuka, all in all, but can break aggression with more ease through scary damage rather than meticolous gameplan, also I can somehow open up defenses with more ease.

I need to start believing in my CH qcf3...

also: gently caress Dragunov's low hand slash in particular

Char fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Feb 18, 2024

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Char posted:

-sun tzu, probably
Also, from complete Tekken noobs like me, stuff like "yeah the mishima 112 sequence is always launchable" is completely alien because
1) the animation doesn't look like it's like -17 on block for ALL the characters with a "flash something combo", Reina included
2) I understood the importance of the concept of "launcher" like 20-30 hours in
3) I don't know yet the frame properties of all launchers of the characters I play
I'm getting more and more why Tekken is way more knowledge based than the average FG.

Anyway...
I am feeling other characters now, spent some time with Victor and Paul
Stuck with Paul because he seems "Vanilla Moves, The Character", and feels like he's not much different from Asuka, all in all, but can break aggression with more ease through scary damage rather than meticolous gameplan, also I can somehow open up defenses with more ease.

I need to start believing in my CH qcf3...

also: gently caress Dragunov's low hand slash in particular

Just push down forward as paul to knock down anyone trying to land a predictable low on you

Char
Jan 5, 2013

Real hurthling! posted:

Just push down forward as paul to knock down anyone trying to land a predictable low on you

I get Snake edges are predictable.
But I can't yet parry one even when I see it coming...

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Snake Edges are in that weird space where because of their speed your low parry frame window may be over before it actually lands lol, the reward for blocking them is much higher anyway

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

Char posted:

I get Snake edges are predictable.
But I can't yet parry one even when I see it coming...

Snake edges are reactable lows, but it does require practice, and there are a few with variant animations as well. If you do, blocking is better than low parrying them, you get a much better launch on them and low parry is 1 frame slower so you also get an extra frame of reaction time.

Moves like Drag's d2 (low hand swipe) are _not_ snake edges, they are low pokes and are unreactable. You need to predict them, and then a low parry is better because you get more of a reward that way. The downside here is that if you guess wrong twice or so (depending on the Drag player's move choices) you'll have taken more damage than you would've gotten with the low parry punish. So often times it is best to just let the d2s hit you unless you have a very clear read, or it is a low health situation and you are guessing for your life. Mind that specifically Drag's d2 is -1 on hit, you don't have to respect him after.

Autsj fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Feb 18, 2024

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

Man, the arcade quest mode is actually really sweet and fun. It's like a mediocre anime plotline, but still kind of fun and useful for learning the very basics.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Char posted:

-sun tzu, probably

"We require more df2"
- Aldaris

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Finished up the single player content for the game (Story mode, Arcade Quest, all the character episodes). Fun stuff generally, though my unfamiliarity with the protagonist cast meant Story Mode was pretty much just "turn on simple style, mash button" until I got the next cutscene. I still don't think any fighting game has done single player content as well as Soul Calibur, SC2 and SC3 in terms of variety and having a whole bunch of interesting stuff to unlock, and I think the story mode for SF6 generally does a better job at easing you into Street Fighter than Arcade Quest does at easing you in to Tekken.

Pulled myself into yellow ranks with Asuka, need to spend some time getting my combo reflexes down because I'm leaving a ton of damage on the table, but otherwise everyone is still playing sloppy/mashing enough that I can generally win but just poking them to death and playing patient.

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

also Paul rules

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Snake Edges are in that weird space where because of their speed your low parry frame window may be over before it actually lands lol, the reward for blocking them is much higher anyway

You just saved me a lot of trouble. Was trying to parry a Law and a Brian today who were totally loving ape poo poo. I got a few of them but eating them didn't seem worth the attempt.

Real dog who caught the car moments when I did. Finally getting a basic juggle under the fingers cause I need ad least something on deck.

unattended spaghetti fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Feb 18, 2024

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Jeremor posted:

Man, the arcade quest mode is actually really sweet and fun. It's like a mediocre anime plotline, but still kind of fun and useful for learning the very basics.
They hit on an interesting thread with your rival being an FGC Gary Oak tryhard purist who’d happily sacrifice friendships and community for a shot at being on the Tekken World Tour. In the hands of a good writer that might have made for a compelling story the likes of which a fighting game hasn’t had before, despite it being a major theme of the genre since 1991. But I’m probably asking too much from the Xbox Live Avatar dollshouse thing

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Day 4 of learning EWGF, back on leverless, and it's still not really consistent, but I'm starting to get the feel of when I got it or not. Most of the time it's no, but my body is starting to understand the feeling of when I do get it.

Also went into ranked for a bit and managed to hit double EWGF combo in for the first time wheeeee. Did I win the match? No, but hey, I hit it!! (I need to learn when do people actually use this)

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Artelier posted:

Also went into ranked for a bit and managed to hit double EWGF combo in for the first time wheeeee. Did I win the match? No, but hey, I hit it!! (I need to learn when do people actually use this)
Aaaaaand this is the supreme irony of every new player spending six weeks learning electrics. Not sure what Mishima you’re playing, but the main applications are unsafe move punishment/whiff punishment (what you can punish depends on how fast you can do the move - 14 frames is the absolute fastest) and combo extensions. You can also try and work out some spacing traps for your character where you push someone out to a range where you can safely start up EWGF and use it as a sorta-poke. The ultimate test of skill is prolly integrating wavedashing and electrics, but I can’t do that poo poo so I’ll let someone else weigh in

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Cat Machine posted:

They hit on an interesting thread with your rival being an FGC Gary Oak tryhard purist who’d happily sacrifice friendships and community for a shot at being on the Tekken World Tour. In the hands of a good writer that might have made for a compelling story the likes of which a fighting game hasn’t had before, despite it being a major theme of the genre since 1991. But I’m probably asking too much from the Xbox Live Avatar dollshouse thing

we basically just had that story from a bunch of people in the other fighting game thread lol

I finally saw someone post the akuma gif
https://twitter.com/Octavius_DP/status/1758941171961696308

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Artelier posted:

Day 4 of learning EWGF, back on leverless, and it's still not really consistent, but I'm starting to get the feel of when I got it or not. Most of the time it's no, but my body is starting to understand the feeling of when I do get it.

It's a +5 on block, far reaching, hard to whiff punish launcher. As you can imagine, that makes it very flexible.

If it was a one button move for any other character, how would you use that move? If you don't have a clear answer for how that fits into your specific game plan, you should try to answer that first before worrying too much about executing electrics.

For example, maybe you want to focus more on using movement to create whiffs. In that case, you can work on integrating backdash, electric into how you normally play.

I've run into a few Mishima players on ranked with great execution but their defense is awful and they're just getting counterhit 5x in a row and dying to a level 1 mixup.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
*Slowly walks backwards and then suddenly starts wavedashing at you*

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Weird Pumpkin posted:

we basically just had that story from a bunch of people in the other fighting game thread lol
thanks for bringing this to my attention

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

interrodactyl posted:

It's a +5 on block, far reaching, hard to whiff punish launcher. As you can imagine, that makes it very flexible.

If it was a one button move for any other character, how would you use that move? If you don't have a clear answer for how that fits into your specific game plan, you should try to answer that first before worrying too much about executing electrics.

For example, maybe you want to focus more on using movement to create whiffs. In that case, you can work on integrating backdash, electric into how you normally play.

I've run into a few Mishima players on ranked with great execution but their defense is awful and they're just getting counterhit 5x in a row and dying to a level 1 mixup.

This kinda player is eternal in every game. I ran into one of them last night myself. Electric can feel pretty oppressive when you're not expecting to see it. I should have won but I choked lol

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

Artelier posted:

interrodactyl posted:

This is one of those things, right? It's a pretty common trap that affects a variety of characters and the people they attract. Learning and practicing 'something specific', and giving up time that could be used to learn and practice fundamentals that would give 'the specific' a proper place in one's game-plan.

The EWGF due to it's properties is a very potent tool in 2 of the 3 parts of the "neutral triangle". (This itself is it's own possible trap, as more than a few mishima players focus on it at the expense of other possibly better options in some of these situations). It can also play a role in the third part, as a positional pressure tool to push your opponent to the wall.

At the wall it becomes a full +frame pressure tool. Finally it can be used as block and ss-whiff punishment, though that is probably the last and most difficult part as it requires perfecting the speed and timing of your motion.

Edit: I should probably relink the video I posted earlier in the thread where Arya explains Sansukumi for those that go "neutral triangle what?" . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=og6ifaw80E8

Autsj fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Feb 18, 2024

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Nothing beats just going into quick match with the goal of throwing out a bunch of EWGF. Yes your opponent is laughing at every aspect of your gameplay, including your terrible in match EWGF rate, but you'd be surprised how often they land and it gives you a feel for where they work in a match.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Labbed Alisa for a week only to realize getting better with her didn't make her more fun to me.

Now staying in one place as a big goofy bear, that's fun. Should've tried them way earlier. Less costume options means I won't spend all my time in dressup either!
Still though...

Fassbender from Assassin's Creed, and the horny woman from Baldur's Gate 3.

...can't stop! Customized for so long that a memory leak bombed my FPS.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Feb 19, 2024

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
I'm going to steal and quote this whole post from the tekken reddit of Knee breaking down how he feels about every character right now

quote:

Knee has uploaded a video where he talks about each character very briefly one at a time. I've translated his thoughts!

Victor:

Will definitely be at least mid-tier
Has many moves to open up the opponent
People say that his lows aren't very good, but it's surprisingly difficult to block them
Not sure how strong he will be after his grab is patched, but as of now, he is top tier
He doesn't have anything like a hellsweep, but his lows that chip at the opponent are very good
People are coming up with strategies to counter his moves, but I think he's still an ok character because his generic tools are not bad

Reina:

Has a bugged wall combo (note: likely talking about this combo)
Strong combo damage
Best ewgf properties of any of the Mishimas in that it seem to evade moves much more often, at least based on my personal experience
ewgk being safe is good
Heat smash is fast and long ranged
Lows are launch punishable, but difficult to block in practice, it's difficult to block her hellsweep
Her f4's range is very long, annoying move
Playing against Reina is hectic, ff2, spin, follow up hit, ff2, high kick... it's just hectic
Absolutely can't be described as bad, definitely very good

Azucena:

More time needed to evaluate
When I played against Atif, Azucena wasn't terrifying to face or anything like that

Shaheen:

Will get better with time
Once currently broken characters get nerfed, he will climb the tiers

Law:

Very good, no bad aspects, combos are good etc
Leroy:

Most people are saying Leroy is not very good

Leo:

Looks very good, though not many people are currently playing Leo
Combo damage and wall damage have been improved across the board
Only weakness is 1,4 forces transition to KNK on block

Claudio:

Good, all his stuff is good except ff1+2

Zafina

Low-tier. People aren't saying Zafina's very good, Arslan also doesn't think she is good

Paul:

Very good. Most of his heat engagers are safe on block
His mixups when he's in heat are really strong. Deathfist essentially becomes rage drive deathfist from Tekken 7, and his heat smash is a wall-breaking low and only -12. Best low heat smash in the game
Raven:

Not bad, but not sure if he is top-tier

Panda:

Worse than Kuma, due to differences in their heat smash

Asuka:

Just average

Lee:

Good. Wall combos, punishes are all stronger, strong mixups. Everything is great other than his slide no longer knocking down

Xiaoyu:

Crazy character. Too strong during heat
Wall combo damage is absolutely insane. Nearly 40 damage?
Low in heat knocks down and is only -12
With heat on, all her mids are plus on block. You just have to stand there and block, can't move. Absolutely infuriating, the opponent doesn't get a chance to play the game, heat mids are +6, +9 etc on block
AoP evades better now, when you try to approach with a move it just gets evaded, frustrating to play against

Jin:

After having played against Jin players, I think he's not bad
Magic 4s are gone, but Jin's has a good followup

Kazuya:

Good. His combos are unstable, he doesn't have a tornado move as good as his screw move in Tekken 7, so sometimes the combo just drops. Other than that, he is good

Nina:

Good. Has always been good, but hard to play

Hwoarang:

Feels like a completely different character compared to Tekken 7 Hwoarang
Can't pressure and overwhelm the opponent like in Tekken 7, with things like rfs b3 not launching anymore (note: is now a heat engager), but his low-high string knocking down in heat is super good
jfsr being safe as always is good
Previously, many of his pressuring options were steppable but now, he has a lot of homing moves from his stances that that make stepping him difficult while being pressured
Unfortunate that ws3 is now unsafe (note: -12 now)
Good character, but you have to throw out your Tekken 7 playstyle when you play Tekken 8 Hwoarang

Feng:

Kenpo hopkick got nerfed to -16 in Tekken 7, but it's back to -14 now. That already is a big change, buffing kenpo
Good combos, good pressure
In CBT, Feng's fc df4,1 used to cause him to stagger when it was blocked, like a hellsweep, but it doesn't do that anymore and everyone is spamming it now

Yoshimitsu:

Definitely not a bad character
Flash is infuriating to play against
His combos have changed to become very stable and have good damage
As everyone knows, when he combos, about 4 hits of the combo heal him, so he heals, deals tons of damage and wall carries far

Kuma:

Good
His heat smash being i13 is very good
Wall combo does a ton of damage, will probably get patched
If he launches you, he can get about 100 damage on you

Lili:

People think Lili is very good
Combo damage is on the stronger side
Sidestep is very good, easy to evade moves. Sidestep has been buffed compared to Tekken 7, and Lili having the strongest sidestep on top of that buff, you can play very evasively

Alisa:

Good. Almost all of her previous weaknesses are gone
No longer reliant on launch punishable lows
Her combos were bad, they are much better now
Wall combo was weak before, it is very strong now
All her mids are safe now, her mids are crazy now
High chip damage
Her homing move has been made faster
Wall combo will probably get patched. It might be that she's just strong now just because the wall combo damage hasn't been patched, only Jun and Jack's have had theirs patched

Lars:

Looks good, but not sure how it will be once people do enough research and understand his stances properly
Currently just does a lot of lows from stances, unsure how strong he will be once people figure out how to deal with them

Jun:

Good
Her pokes and homing moves are safe, but when she goes for a big play from time to time she's still safe on block, while scoring high 90s damage on hit
Her weakness of self-damage is removed when she's in heat, can play very safe
Other characters don't heal like crazy on using their heat smash, she does
These things make her heat state very strong

Devil Jin:

Very good, despite the nerf
His weakness is that his gameplan inevitably requires him to use hellsweep
Combos are very strong in Tekken 8, and get even stronger when heat is available
When you heat engage, you have to apply your mid/low mixup, but with combo damage being so high, it's very scary to actually use the hellsweep for the mixup
Need to have a strong mind to play this character, in contrast to Xiaoyu with her knockdown sweep in heat that's only -12
You can play very well, but one blocked hellsweep and you can still lose
Playing that mindgame is very difficult. You need to be brave enough to hellsweep 3-4 times in a row while being prepared to die if it's blocked
Mishima players who can hellsweep well are the really strong ones
The hellsweep is nice when it hits, you can combo and even Rage Art from it, but... it's mentally difficult
Other characters can throw out their lows a few times to evaluate how often the opponent is crouching. Devil Jin can't do this, you do your hellsweep and you're like "oh, he does block low quite often. But I'm dead now"

Jack:

Jack has always been at least mid-tier. Jack players have always performed well at tournaments, and everyone knows that's been the case in Tekken 7
ff1/db1 mixup has been in the game since Tekken 5, the fact that this mixup still works means that the character functions well just from those two moves
Strong moves, good combos, wall carry has been buffed, nothing bad about the character
i10 heat smash, fastest in the game

King:

Everyone says King is good
Previously, mixups with mids and throws were weak
A ton of his mids have been buffed
Heat smash has insane range
Throws are homing, which is very annoying. Doing things like df1 into sidestep to see the opponent's reaction and look for a whiff punish, this is now covered by throws and playing that mindgame is more difficult now
Unbreakable throws are quite annoying
His previously difficult combos now work fine every time
Because counter-hit throws now exist, you see strong players getting hit by throws very often now
In Tekken 7, even if you were hit by a throw mid-attack, you could react and break it. But that's very difficult to do now

Steve:

Story time: I initially said Steve is bad. But in Pakistan, Arslan, Atif, and a player called Numan CH who is very good at Paul and Steve - They said Steve is good. I said, "Oh really?" and I asked Atif, "If you're playing in a tournament, you think you'll pick Steve?" and he was like "No". So I laughed and said "Yeah, I think Steve is fine for ranked matches too". I mean, in ranked you can climb by playing enough matches. But in tournaments? Atif said "No." That's what I thought, I'm not going to play Steve in tournaments either.

Dragunov:

Everyone says he is good
In Tekken 7, he only had d2 as a low, you were just doing wr2 and d2.
Once wr2 was nerfed to be stepped more easily, you stopped seeing Dragunov. wr2 was hard to step in season 1, but after that nerf, he was much less popular
wr2 is still easily stepped, due to the sidestep buff. But now, he has other lows in addition to d2 and you can play without using wr2.
The new fc df1 and db3+4 means the opponent has to be more wary of lows, and they all have different startups. It's hard to fight Dragunov with the mindset of just looking out for wr2 and d2.
His combos have been buffed, his wall combo has become stronger. His wall combo was bad in Tekken 7, but it's strong now.

Bryan:

Everyone will say Bryan is good. Honestly, he's good, you can definitely never say he's not good.
But because he's so similar to Tekken 7 Bryan, he's just average. When playing him, it doesn't feel like you're playing Tekken 8. Pretty much the exact same playstyle, no difference from Tekken 7
Because of that, it doesn't feel too difficult to play against him
One weakness is that his b3~f 2,1 has become harder to land in combos. It's different from Tekken 7. Using it to wall carry after tornado on 5th hit is quite hard
The one thing I don't like about him is that his heat smash is so mediocre. It would have been nice if he had a low heat smash, but his currently heat smash is just average and I don't like that

Quick thoughts, I've been using fengs FC 4,1 a bit more so good to know its kinda cheap lol. Alisa being buffed is annoying, I've always disliked her in general, but shes one of eddys worst matchups because a lot of her poo poo randomly goes over lows compared to everyone else. Similarly I think King is overturned in general, but especially so since hes an annoying character. His balance was better in T7. In general I didn't realize how much characters heat smashes could be. Jacks bein 10 is crazy.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea

Attack on Princess posted:

Labbed Alisa for a week only to realize getting better with her didn't make her more fun to me.

This is where I'm at with Shaheen the last three days. I like the style of doing a lot of chip damage and deleting the recoverable hp with bf2 and the flippy slidey combos (and surfing dudes) but... his combo strings are tricky for the high damage options and he's lacking combo damage outside of the super execution heavy combos. maybe I'm just spoiled by the easy absurd damage combos of the bears but idk. My internet's been fucky today so I haven't played much ranked so I've just been getting a feel for him. his uf+1 is absurdly good and his mixups from crouch and snake step really seem to catch people (because you never see shaheen) so I'm torn if I'm gonna keep him as a second to kuma or try paul

shaheen is solid though he'll just take me a lot more practice to get consistent with

Revins fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Feb 19, 2024

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
Shaheen's second heat smash out of snake step coming out as* a low is also absurdly good, as is his charge move which I need to get better at but its -13 on block and breaks guard if in heat

Revins fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Feb 19, 2024

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
I often find the characters who are cool to me end up considered low tier so Zafina and I can keep on crapping up mid orange

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Me and Nina being mid orange must mean I'm extremely good since she's so difficult to play

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Revins posted:

Shaheen's second heat smash out of snake step coming out as* a low is also absurdly good, as is his charge move which I need to get better at but its -13 on block and breaks guard if in heat

fun thing to do: if you land a heat engager, use the run to charge the move. you get a free fb2 from the guard break. if they duck next time, mix it up with a launcher.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Seltzer posted:

I'm going to steal and quote this whole post from the tekken reddit of Knee breaking down how he feels about every character right now

Quick thoughts, I've been using fengs FC 4,1 a bit more so good to know its kinda cheap lol.

When I first saw it was changed to a crouching move I though it would be worse, but it seems to accept the crouching state faster than I'm used to so you can just whip it out from standing pretty fast.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Nice Van My Man posted:

When I first saw it was changed to a crouching move I though it would be worse, but it seems to accept the crouching state faster than I'm used to so you can just whip it out from standing pretty fast.

You can do it out of his qcf stance if you hold down at the end

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Seltzer posted:

Reina:

Has a bugged wall combo (note: likely talking about this co

What is this bugged wall combo please?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Tortolia posted:

I often find the characters who are cool to me end up considered low tier so Zafina and I can keep on crapping up mid orange

lol yeah I guess I have snowflake syndrome but seeing her at 1% of the playerbase and Knee and Arslan making GBS threads on her makes me more likely to play her lol... SonicFox was playing her too but their latest video is a Jun one lol

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Day 5 of EWGF training, and it's starting to come together. Starting to get a real feel for "I really want an electric" vs "eh either one is fine" so I've been pulling it off in training mode and matches far more consistently today. Managed to frame trap and whiff punish with it too! Really grateful for everyone's tips and suggestions.

After a few more days I hope I'll be able to weave it in between dashes and sidesteps, and hopefully one day maybe do that multi-crouch dash consecutively thing if it's possible with Reina

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

lol yeah I guess I have snowflake syndrome but seeing her at 1% of the playerbase and Knee and Arslan making GBS threads on her makes me more likely to play her lol... SonicFox was playing her too but their latest video is a Jun one lol

I really don’t care much and I’m just joking about it ultimately, but outside of picking Nier for Granblue Rising because puppet character I have a knack for being attracted to the low tiers. It’s fine, not like I’m making a tournament run anytime soon over here.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
meanwhile my boy shaheen has a genuinely great kit, nobody would consider him low tier, he's just got all the personality of a kitchen sponge so nobody else plays him. i didn't even run into people who know how to punish the slide until red ranks and even there it's spotty.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Minor salt. Heat and chip is too strong and they gave everyone too many armored moves and good armored moves. Having one armored move with average properties was a fine balance, now there are too many good armored moves that cover too many situations to blow through strings or characters in stance. I wish it were back to one per character. Overall tekken 8 is great and fun but I prefer tekken 7's system as it stands rn with only rage and RA/RD. Hopefully things get amended and toned down down the line. I dont even know if Hwoarang is better than t7 hwoarang but his new armored moves and chip potential in heat are disgusting, unfun to play against (more than t7 Hwo whos already not the most fun to play against) and kinda captures everything I hate about t8 rn. King comes in seconds CH throws now being a thing (why) and tracking grabs (why).

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Feb 19, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Oh yeah BS put out his Hwo primer vid yesterday so you can witness the filth here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAC7gTfqVhU