Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

scathing indictment of political pseudoscience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

mcmagic posted:

The fact that Obama came into office with the house and 60 votes in the senate and did nothing but drone some folks and do a corporate health care giveaway makes him bottom 10 at best.

He did what the people who hired him (capital) wanted him to do, and was incredibly successful in carrying out their demands, for which he's been well-rewarded post-presidency.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

If the list were who has made the most money post-presidency obama would have to be no. 1.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Willa Rogers posted:

He did what the people who hired him (capital) wanted him to do, and was incredibly successful in carrying out their demands, for which he's been well-rewarded post-presidency.

one of his first acts was signing the bill that shut down ACORN

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/aseitzwald/status/1759306902838579240?t=65eCwp_pis2pN0KDRE0CTg&s=19

"politics reporter"

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

one of his first acts was signing the bill that shut down ACORN

my favorite wikileaks was the citi guy spitballing obama's cabinet before the election, most of which appointments came into fruition a few months later.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

"msdnc"

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Willa Rogers posted:

my favorite wikileaks was the citi guy spitballing obama's cabinet before the election, most of which appointments came into fruition a few months later.

I remember reading that and when obama nominated geithner I got so mad I finally started reading marx

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

they do have a point, if biden stepped aside his successor would face the exact same same challenge hubert humphrey did: separating yourself and your candidacy from LBJ/Biden. the dems aren't going to let anyone run on a platform of "actually biden sucks poo poo" while biden is still in office and they'll have to deal with biden continuing a highly unpopular war. newsom could probably thread the needle by running as biden but with better brains but that still leaves the problem of everyone who wants a ceasefire refusing to vote for biden or biden 2.0

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Ronald McDonald is traveling through Northern Ireland during the Troubles when he's stopped by the police. They ask him, "Are you Protestant or Catholic?"

"Well, I'm a clown."

".......... Protestant Clown or Catholic Clown?"

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

mcmagic posted:

The fact that Obama came into office with the house and 60 votes in the senate and did nothing but drone some folks and do a corporate health care giveaway makes him bottom 10 at best.

Those senate votes don't count because ten of them were Joe Manchin.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Raskolnikov38 posted:

they do have a point, if biden stepped aside his successor would face the exact same same challenge hubert humphrey did: separating yourself and your candidacy from LBJ/Biden. the dems aren't going to let anyone run on a platform of "actually biden sucks poo poo" while biden is still in office and they'll have to deal with biden continuing a highly unpopular war. newsom could probably thread the needle by running as biden but with better brains but that still leaves the problem of everyone who wants a ceasefire refusing to vote for biden or biden 2.0

yeah exactly, the dems have worked themselves into a position where it is impossible for any candidate to successfully replace Biden at this point. If Biden resigns, Harris is woefully unprepared as a candidate. If Biden doesn't resign, Newsom getting the nod would crumble for the reasons you list.

but this is a situation created entirely by the DNC and the powers that be in the Biden White House. they chose this situation, they created it, and they're the ones to blame for it. and they chose to do it because it personally benefits those who control Biden at the White House and the DNC.

instead they want to blame the people who point out that the party has chosen an insanely risky proposition for pointing out that the emperor has no brains.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Raskolnikov38 posted:

The remark is dumb because it doesn't acknowledge that Humphrey lost because Humphrey was nominated in the first place. It was Eugene McCarthy's unexpected popularity that got to LBJ, followed by RFK gaining momentum, and then the Dems ended up with a candidate that stood for more war anyway.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Willa Rogers posted:

Excuse me, the only thing Obama did wrong was wear a tan suit.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Obama gets to hang out with the Illuminati all day now and that's the best way to win at life if you're completely amoral outside of inventing a way to become immortal.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

uber_stoat posted:

Obama gets to hang out with the Illuminati all day now and that's the best way to win at life if you're completely amoral outside of inventing a way to become immortal.

Finkelstein's description of him* as a howling void of narcissism is genuinely frightening.

*Which is extensively researched and full of citations, is the crazy thing.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

mcmagic posted:

It still makes me lol that people on this website have told me this is evidence we need to vbnmw

"We couldn't accomplish our progressive platform because we couldn't get the votes due to all the moderates in our party, which proves we need to be LESS particular about how likely prospective candidates are to vote for the poo poo we want to pass." :dafuq:

See, if we had voted as blue as possible with as little matter who as possible we could have gotten SEVENTY votes with 20 Joe Manchins which is better somehow

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Finkelstein's description of him* as a howling void of narcissism is genuinely frightening.

*Which is extensively researched and full of citations, is the crazy thing.

“In Chicago, for instance, we’ve gotten a foretaste of the new breed of foundation-hatched black communitarian voices; one of them, a smooth Harvard lawyer with impeccable do-good credentials and vacuous-to-repressive neoliberal politics, has won a state senate seat on a base mainly in the liberal foundation and development worlds. His fundamentally bootstrap line was softened by a patina of the rhetoric of authentic community, talk about meeting in kitchens, small-scale solutions to social problems, and the predictable elevation of process over program — the point where identity politics converges with old-fashioned middle-class reform in favoring form over substance. I suspect that his ilk is the wave of the future in U.S. black politics, as in Haiti and wherever else the International Monetary Fund has sway. So far the black activist response hasn’t been up to the challenge. We have to do better.”

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

Any presidential ranking that doesn't have Buchanan dead last can be laughed at. :lol:

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Yeah, that's the idea. Democrats should be punished for their eager embrace of Israel's butchery.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Don't you guys think you should be finding a way to exert pressure on the Democrats that doesn't involve them ever losing a single election ever again

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Or being rude to them obviously

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

loquacius posted:

Don't you guys think you should be finding a way to exert pressure on the Democrats that doesn't involve them ever losing a single election ever again

Yeah, by telling everyone they're idiots and need to start voting Democrat or else

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Willa Rogers posted:

Imagine you’re pregnant and living in one of the 20-something states where abortion is banned or heavily restricted. You want to know if it’s feasible for you to get care in another state, or learn how to avoid the legal risk posed by ordering your own abortion pills. But, thanks to a bill passed with support from both Republicans and Democrats, you can’t access the websites or social media accounts for abortion funds or online forums where people answer abortion questions.

A controversial, bipartisan Senate bill could create this exact scenario. It purports to protect kids from algorithms that might recommend harmful content online, but advocates warn that it could end up censoring all internet users.

The bill, the Kids Online Safety Act (KOSA), would create a “duty of care” requiring social media apps and websites to “prevent and mitigate” harms to children, including not recommending content that could cause anxiety and depression or could lead to “sexual exploitation and abuse.” A huge problem is that the bill would allow state Attorneys General to sue apps and sites if they believe certain content is harmful to minors—meaning AGs could weaponize the law to attack content they simply disagree with. In response, platforms likely would preemptively block content they think could get them sued.

Much has been made of the bill’s potential to lead to online censorship of LGBTQ+ content and sex ed info for everyone, not just kids, and groups including the ACLU oppose it. Despite these critiques, 22 Democratic Senators co-sponsor it—including, most recently, Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.). Now, multiple civil liberties groups told Jezebel how KOSA could also censor content about abortion on sites ranging from social platforms like TikTok to abortion resource websites like Plan C. That could mean information about abortion pills, abortion funds that offer financial and logistical help, and legal resources for abortion seekers, whether they’re minors or adults.

Quoting this post as I was just hearing about this KOSA poo poo and apparently there is a new push on it that's gained some more traction/sponsors. Seems bad!

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Maybe Lincoln should be 45th for saving the US

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I think it always comes back to "if you want to win elections, do stuff that people like." As far as I know, people tend to not like being denied healthcare so that we can kill children abroad.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Hillary should be 44. Dot Com.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Nichael posted:

I think it always comes back to "if you want to win elections, do stuff that people like."

new mandala: Explaining the Prabowo landslide

quote:

[T]he president used his control over state institutions to drum up support in sympathetic quarters and depress votes for rivals. The main battle grounds were Central and East Java, and the target of this strategy was Ganjar, presidential nominee of PDI-P. It is the party to which Jokowi belongs but with whom he split in order to put Gibran on Prabowo’s ticket.

These areas were flooded with social welfare assistance. To dispense this unplanned aid, government ministers scraped funds from other programmed activities. Shedding any pretence of neutrality, Jokowi himself went to these regions and personally handed out food aid to potential voters. As this social assistance flowed, Prabowo’s popularity ticked up closer and closer to 50 percent.

Some district and village heads in competitive areas suddenly found themselves being investigated for misuse of public funds but charges disappeared when they showed up to campaign for the pair. Others were told that release of social welfare assistance would be contingent on delivering votes for Prabowo–Gibran. To be sure, PDI-P countered this campaign using its own resources as well as its loyal regional and village heads. But this was no match for the state resources that Jokowi could mobilise.

It is difficult to say with certainty whether or to what extent these sorts of tactics had a significant impact on the final result. Regardless, the leveraging of incumbency in this way sets a dangerous electoral precedent.

Much to the dismay of those concerned about Prabowo’s violent past, it was looking like an unstoppable campaign. But Jokowi’s impatience with the democratic process has undermined one the most durable feature of Indonesia’s democracy: electoral competition.

ah gently caress guys it turns out giving people cash and goods is a way to win votes, and even works well enough to let you win elections so hard that the competition is left in the dust. What are we supposed to do???

it's also bitterly ironic for these people to hem-and-haw about the loss of "electoral competition" in a country that exterminated its communist party in an orgy of violence and then banned the left from ever running again

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Using incumbency to help suffering people is "a dangerous precedent." lmao

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Besides the ridiculousness of putting Trump below Buchanan, it's absolute insanity putting Dubya above the mid-19th century parade of can-kickers.

MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

Can Bernie count on you to add to our chest's mad sparkle? Can you spare a little change for an old buccaneer?
these polls always seem like such bullshit to me

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Andrew Jackson literally ignored the supreme court which even then was like "no you cant do genocide like that" and he was like "gently caress you" and did genocide anyway. Also hated central banking and caused a whole bunch of bank runs. But somehow not dead last in the list? loving liberals make up your mind.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

56 years ago my dude

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

SixteenShells posted:

still convinced Pelosi has been baiting a confrontation she could sue over for a long time. why else is she getting out the car in the driveway instead of the garage

She can barely walk in there let alone put a car there what with her giant Funko Pop collection.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

click the link to see Biden being rated the 6th most under rated president

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I don’t understand why anyone would think Truman is in the top ten

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

libs cream their pants when the president uses his big boom boom toys

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

so presidential :swoon:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Joementum posted:

I don’t understand why anyone would think Truman is in the top ten

it's pretty easy to grasp: liberals have been [more vocally] demanding that Russia be nuked since the 2022 conflict, and Truman was willing to pull the trigger against Japan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Hairy S Pooman. The S stands for poo poo but he was embarrassed to say so.