Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Well, I’d kind of assume as much. It’s just a kinkier version of the android costume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
If they'd had a way to make clear titty panels in 1927 that's what the costume probably would have looked like.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

It's funny that Brolin and Skarsgard were just in normal suits. Brolin was edgy and didn't wear a tie.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Your boob windows are fitted desert-fashion. Who taught you how to do this?

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Bugblatter posted:

Well, I’d kind of assume as much. It’s just a kinkier version of the android costume.

He didn't mention the Barbarella inspiration.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Aurubin posted:

Brolin was edgy and didn't wear a tie.

It was a last minute decision, after spilling coffee on his or own sexy Metropolis outfit on the drive over.

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

I know it's supposed to be the setting sun and all, but the color is a little bit too close to that Laugh Factory logo, made famous by Kramer.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Perhaps she wore it so she could safely eat her popcorn?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

single-mode fiber posted:

I know it's supposed to be the setting sun and all, but the color is a little bit too close to that Laugh Factory logo, made famous by Kramer.

They are also people, which made me think of Nazis (who were people)

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

So apparently Mugler said in an interview that he designed that outfit after being inspired by Metropolis

Bugblatter posted:

PeterWeller posted:

He didn't mention the Barbarella inspiration.

it was actually inspired by Bride of Pinbot.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtqGTn7PCBw

This message brought to you by The Space Pope The God Emperor

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

I remember that episode of Torchwood

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Throw his rear end out he's a Harkonnen!!!

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Butlerian Jihad time

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Michael Richards posted:

Shut up! 5000 years ago we'd have you upside down with loving shigawire up your rear end! You can talk, you can talk, you can talk! You're brave now, waterfat fucker! Throw his rear end out! He's a Fremen! He's a Fremen! He's a Fremen! A Fremen! Look, there's a Fremen! Ooooooh! Oooooooh! Alright, you see? This shocks you. It shocks you, to see what's buried beneath, damp hands!... They're gonna arrest me for calling a Zensunni Wanderer a Fremen...

VoodooXT fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Feb 17, 2024

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

well why not posted:

Butlerian Jihad time

Good news:

https://gizmodo.com/waymo-fire-self-driving-car-san-francisco-vandals-1851247725

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

inshallah

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
This score just sucks all the rear end. Watched that long clip that was released, maybe there's more music work to be done, but love or hate Toto, at least it had a vibe.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!

dude this is so correct its scary

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

AlternateAccount posted:

This score just sucks all the rear end. Watched that long clip that was released, maybe there's more music work to be done, but love or hate Toto, at least it had a vibe.

What the gently caress.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

AlternateAccount posted:

*sniffing the air* ahh, this year's crop of haters is coming in nicely

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Just rewatched Dune, it's my 2nd ever time after having watched it in theatres. drat gorgeous movie, my goodness. This is more a critique of my own inability to sit still for long periods of time, but the first watching at theatres was awful for me. Not only because of the sheer length of the film, but because if I missed anything, I was poo poo outta luck and just had to continue watching whilst confused to all hell. Especially frustrating were the scenes with Baron Harkonnen, I couldn't for the life of me understand a single word out of his mouth. It was just an inaudible grunting most of the time.

Watching at home was a much better experience. I could put subtitles on, I could rewind. I watched the fight scene with Jamis about 4 times, it was great. Bits of action or conversation that I missed, I'd rewind. If I didn't understand a part of the plot, I'd google it. I also broke the movie into two segments, where I watched an hour last night and I watched the remainder this afternoon.

Very much looking forward to the second installment. The second rewatching has easily put this film into my all-time favourites list.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I can't remember a lot of the actual dialogue myself, I've never been good with that but I swear modern movies are terrible for it even when they don't have Nolan level inexcusable sound mixing. Reading the book helps just to have a general idea of who is who and what their motivations are even if you miss things.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yeah the dialogue is super sparse and light on exposition. It's part of why the movie feels quite cold to me.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I hope Zimmer does better work on this one because most of the first score felt very meh. It needed more bagpipes and that cool guitar when they were leaving Caladan and less “Okay so yeah you are friends with the lady from Dead Can Dance, we loving know already dude we’ve known since Gladiator”

The most laffo part was that the epic bagpipes wasn’t even on the original soundtrack but like on one of money grab ULTIMATE SPECIAL EDITIONS

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

:tinfoil: but for your DICK. I like it!

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

jeeves posted:

I hope Zimmer does better work on this one because most of the first score felt very meh. It needed more bagpipes and that cool guitar when they were leaving Caladan and less “Okay so yeah you are friends with the lady from Dead Can Dance, we loving know already dude we’ve known since Gladiator”

The most laffo part was that the epic bagpipes wasn’t even on the original soundtrack but like on one of money grab ULTIMATE SPECIAL EDITIONS

That edition came out first tho. It was just Zimmer releasing his actual compositions before his team went to work on it for the movie

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Because of you guys I watched Part 1 in an IMAX - what an amazing experience. The preview was even more awesome on the big screen.

When it comes out I’ll watch it once in English on the normal screen and then again on IMAX (in German).

I’ll blame all of you for having a great time.

aledesma
Jul 22, 2012

q: how good is the dune miniseries? I would like to watch it after dunc2.

Also what is the right pronunciation for Harkonnen? the dunc or 1984/audiobook

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

aledesma posted:

It's pretty close to the book and the casting is solid, but the effects are extremely early 2000s. Also the costumes are absurd. Ian mcNeice hamming it up as the Baron is the best part.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

aledesma posted:

Also what is the right pronunciation for Harkonnen?

Accents on the first and third syllables, heavier on the first. Like "Raikkonen", if you're familiar with the racer. Both are Finnish names.

Meaty Ore fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Feb 19, 2024

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

The miniseries kind of feels like they filmed a local community theater performance. Like all of the desert stuff is shot in the same sandbox with a lovely painting like four meters behind the actors. It maybe kinda worked when it was broadcast in SD but it looks real silly in HD.

It’s also shot by Vittorio Storaro, a legendary cinematographer who did poo poo like Apocalypse Now… not that you would necessarily be able to guess that by looking at it.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

aledesma posted:

Also what is the right pronunciation for Harkonnen? the dunc or 1984/audiobook

It’s a really good adaptation with dated sfx and like ridiculous college play at some sort of fashion school customs.

The followup series is even better, especially since it’s the only adaptation of Dune Messiah or Children so far, and for the most part cast of the followup is like the best of all adaptations so far.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

aledesma posted:

I personally like it, I think the acting is pretty good and I love what they did with the costumes on a tiny budget. However Paul is badly miscast, and as a result the central plot grates on me pretty badly. Alec Newman is a ripped 25 year old with the beginnings of a receding hairline playing an angsty 16 year old wunderkind. Ian McNeice as the Baron, Saskia Reeves as Jessica and Julie Cox as Irulan put in notable performances. William Hurt is in it but he's kind of overdoing Leto's weariness in my opinion. The people playing Fenring and Alia put in surprisingly good work too.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Dune miniseries is extremely low budget and cheap looking

BUT its success allowed Children of Dune to have much better production value, better cinematography and hire better actors

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I seem to remember reading that the weird artificial sets in Dune 2000 were an intentional stylistic choice since the budget was so low.

I like it. Some of the casting is really good; I think it’s probably my favorite Gurney Halleck. Plus they had the dinner party scene! I also kind of like that the accents are all over the place. I’m not entirely sure this was intentional or just a side product of hiring a bunch of, uh, affordable European actors but it helps sell that these people come from very different worlds.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

They have a dinner party scene, but it doesn't really correspond to the one in the books at all. Not so much about the Atreides navigating local politics and sussing out spies as it is about Irulan visiting Arrakis... for some reason (?) and being suspicious about stuff.

I liked that the costume designers gave a bit of a nod to the Jodorowky version of Dune by basing most of the costumes on Jean "Moebius" Giraud's designs. They were unfortunately very cheaply executed costumes, but I liked the intention.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The slightest discussion of the miniseries prompts yet another watch of the world's greatest line read

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRy18Euw6W4

aledesma
Jul 22, 2012

No Mods No Masters posted:

The slightest discussion of the miniseries prompts yet another watch of the world's greatest line read

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRy18Euw6W4

Thanks, I should definitely watch the miniseries

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat