Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Watching the original X-Men series and lol at the first episode and Storm's mastery of the weather apparently means lightning clothes changing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

Watching the original X-Men series and lol at the first episode and Storm's mastery of the weather apparently means lightning clothes changing.

This was like the coolest thing she did in TAS.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

ThermoPhysical posted:

This was like the coolest thing she did in TAS.

whoa buddy if you're gonna talk poo poo about Storm then I SHALL MEET YOU AT THE MONORAIL

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It is very funny how Morph dies pushing the one guy who can't be killed out of the way of an attack. Also Beast gets hit with a blast too and is mostly fine so I guess Morph was just extremely fragile.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

NikkolasKing posted:

It's something I've seen people online criticizing forever, why there are a zillion superhumans and poo poo in Marvel but only Mutants are perpetually on the cusp of genocide.

Also even in the old cartoon, wasn't the mutant ethnostate tried? Asteroid M? Ruined by the dork with the super whiny voice. It was an awesomely "this guy is a total slimeball who will betray you" voice, though.

X-Men Grand Design is pretty much the only time I've seen someone come up with a semi reasonable explanation for why Mutant hatred is so ingrained and widespread

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I feel like Wolverine was more interesting back when he wasn't an invincible centuries-old immortal highlander.

Unstable molecules.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

It is very funny how Morph dies pushing the one guy who can't be killed out of the way of an attack. Also Beast gets hit with a blast too and is mostly fine so I guess Morph was just extremely fragile.

this one's for you morph :smith:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

drrockso20 posted:

X-Men Grand Design is pretty much the only time I've seen someone come up with a semi reasonable explanation for why Mutant hatred is so ingrained and widespread

I think human history has given me plenty of explanations why a minority might be unfairly scapegoated and targeted for violence with no logical reason.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011
Moon Girl And Devil Dinosaur season 2 is a lot of fun.

Some surprising characters in there, including Lady Bullseye as a peppy, kindergarten teachery older lady leading a ruthless gang of thieves.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Episode 3 of X-Men has the guards be right at making fun of Beast because he appears to be reading that book backwards.

Also funny how non-specific they made Magneto's backstory. It was just "a" war in a non-specific country.

Wolverine cuts the wires to Sabretooth's heart monitor and fluid comes out?

Wolverine uses his claws to climb a wall and then Cyclops just blows up said wall.

Edit: Episode 4: Hey, Deadpool.

muscles like this! fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Feb 22, 2024

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Is this the old show or are you able to get '97 early?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Azubah posted:

Is this the old show or are you able to get '97 early?

Old show

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 9 days!)

Beast does have a hide of fur protecting him.
I think Morph got blasted by like 3 sentinels at once or a barrage since 3 sentinels was aiming at Wolverine.

old X-men show honestly had a lot of cool stuff, even the weird or silly stuff others have bought up just increases its charm upon rewatches.

Morph was a cartoon original character right? Which is why they killed him off easily, did they ever integrate him into the mainline comics

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I guess in its defense, Wolverine wasn't quite so unkillable as the popular perception is now. One Sentinel vaporizes him in Future Past.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GateOfD posted:

Beast does have a hide of fur protecting him.
I think Morph got blasted by like 3 sentinels at once or a barrage since 3 sentinels was aiming at Wolverine.

old X-men show honestly had a lot of cool stuff, even the weird or silly stuff others have bought up just increases its charm upon rewatches.

Morph was a cartoon original character right? Which is why they killed him off easily, did they ever integrate him into the mainline comics

Not entirely. Morph was intended to be Changeling but they changed his name to Morph because at the time DC was using the name Changeling. (It was Beast Boy's superhero name.) They eventually introduced an alt-universe version of Changeling named Morph in Exiles.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
I remember it seems like the flashback of morph dying and wolverine yelling about it being the "previously on" for basically every episode of the entire show.

I know that wasn't the case, but it sure felt like it.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Air Skwirl posted:

I think human history has given me plenty of explanations why a minority might be unfairly scapegoated and targeted for violence with no logical reason.

The mutant metaphor really falls apart when it can either be the equivalent of being born with a debilitating, disfiguring physical condition or the practical equivalent of being a super rich trust fund baby.

I'm kind of surprised we don't see more inter-sectarian conflict between mutant groups because of it, to be honest. There were the Morlocks but Storm beat Callisto in a knife fight and they fall fell in line (even if some of them like Marrow felt bitter about it). Most of the time it's strictly limited to "Co-existence good" or "co-existence bad"

Hell, I'm surprised there isn't' a whole swath of people in the Marvel Universe, mutants and otherwise, who are freak assed paranoid about psychics considering how dubious they can be. We've got Professor Charles "The ends don't justify the means, except when I say they do, which I do often" Xavier, Emma "Yeah I blew up a horse what of it?" Frost, Jean "Constantly under the influence of an entity beyond human comprehension" Grey, and Quentin "school shooter" Quire, and that's among the good guys

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I mean the morlocks pretty much got genocided into the ground so maybe that's why they don't show up so much?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

OnimaruXLR posted:

The mutant metaphor really falls apart when it can either be the equivalent of being born with a debilitating, disfiguring physical condition or the practical equivalent of being a super rich trust fund baby.

I'm kind of surprised we don't see more inter-sectarian conflict between mutant groups because of it, to be honest. There were the Morlocks but Storm beat Callisto in a knife fight and they fall fell in line (even if some of them like Marrow felt bitter about it). Most of the time it's strictly limited to "Co-existence good" or "co-existence bad"

Hell, I'm surprised there isn't' a whole swath of people in the Marvel Universe, mutants and otherwise, who are freak assed paranoid about psychics considering how dubious they can be. We've got Professor Charles "The ends don't justify the means, except when I say they do, which I do often" Xavier, Emma "Yeah I blew up a horse what of it?" Frost, Jean "Constantly under the influence of an entity beyond human comprehension" Grey, and Quentin "school shooter" Quire, and that's among the good guys

Think I'm gonna need context for that horse one...

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The metaphor of the X-Men often breaks apart, but a lot of the time, the comics don't worry so much about keeping things in realistic terms. The adventures get very wacky very often.

There are a lot of sectarian conflicts though. Magneto has led a bunch of different factions over time with fairly varied schemes throughout, with the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants, the Mutates, and the Acolytes (as well as his stint running the Young Mutants). His plans bounced between world domination, creating a new race from scratch, trying to just create a separate haven for mutantkind apart from the rest of the world, trying to fulfill Xavier's wishes, using terrorism to threaten the world into meeting his demands, and using a special high-tech anti-racism helmet to brainwash out bigotry.

Then you have Mystique's Brotherhood of Mutants, who sometimes are just a merry band of outlaws, but they had a fairly long period when they were working for the US government as some kind of mercenary group, and their service kept them from being persecuted (although it's also keeping them from being prosecuted for the actual crimes they did). That kind of dynamic was done a lot stronger with the mutant slaves of Genosha, the Press Gang or in the Days of Future Past, the Hounds, and even Canada had its own special government-sanctioned group Apha Flight that used mutants for their service (Marvel comics Canada is weirdly fascist for some reason). The original X-Factor who had a weird scheme where they used the cover identity of the "X-Terminators" as a task force for controlling mutant threats, and that covered for them getting mutants away to safety.

On the other end of the spectrum, you have the Hellfire Club, who are a fancy schmancy group of rich people trying to dominate the world in their own ways, and incorporating mutant powers was just another tool for them. Emma Frost's Hellions were a parallel to Professor X's school. And there's a lot of evil mutant groups out there with plans of varying quality from world domination like the Four Horsemen of Apocalypse, or Mr. Sinister's weird genetics pervert plans. The villains often don't get thought through that much in depth, the Marauders are just a group who sure likes killing all the time and that's their whole story.

And there's constantly a push and pull about the idea of how much groups should step up to help others as opposed to just sticking to their own poo poo, later versions of X-Factor tended to be more small-scale so they didn't deal with world threats, so was eXcalibur. The X-Men themselves constantly schism over whether they should be teaching kids, whether they should be helping mutantkind in general rather than focus on the youth, or whether they should go on wild and wacky adventures without a care to broader themes (I think the pinnacle of that might've been when the entire team faked their deaths to go off to an isolated compound in Australia).

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

SlothfulCobra posted:

Then you have Mystique's Brotherhood of Mutants, who sometimes are just a merry band of outlaws, but they had a fairly long period when they were working for the US government as some kind of mercenary group, and their service kept them from being persecuted (although it's also keeping them from being prosecuted for the actual crimes they did).

This sounds like their portrayal in X-Men Evolution, too.

quote:

That kind of dynamic was done a lot stronger with the mutant slaves of Genosha, the Press Gang or in the Days of Future Past, the Hounds, and even Canada had its own special government-sanctioned group Apha Flight that used mutants for their service (Marvel comics Canada is weirdly fascist for some reason).

How does Weapon X fit into this? That was Marvel Canda, right?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Weapon X was eventually revealed to be X as in the Roman Numeral for 10 not the letter X, and part of a series of super soldier experiments as part of some multinational conspiracy(the first incarnation was Project Rebirth aka the super soldier project that created Captain America)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

drrockso20 posted:

Think I'm gonna need context for that horse one...

She set Fire star's horse on fire in an attempt to get her to join her rival school to Xavier's, I believe.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think sometimes Weapon X has the go ahead from the Canadian government, but they're kinda recursively mysterious so everything about them constantly shifts. Sometimes they're in a separate dimension? There's a French Weapon X guy who I think isn't French Canadian.

Comicbooks get very complicated and silly.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Air Skwirl posted:

She set Fire star's horse on fire in an attempt to get her to join her rival school to Xavier's, I believe.

So did she do it mundanely or did she ignite a horse with her mind?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

Conventional pyrotechnics I believe.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

drrockso20 posted:

She set a mundane fire in the stables, and then when Firestar flew in and saved her horse, Emma gave the horse an aneurysm so that Firestar would think she cooked her own horse alive with her microwave powers and be so distraught that she'd turn to Emma for guidance. She's one cold bitch.

Toshimo fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Feb 23, 2024

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

NikkolasKing posted:

Weapon X was eventually revealed to be X as in the Roman Numeral for 10 not the letter X, and part of a series of super soldier experiments as part of some multinational conspiracy(the first incarnation was Project Rebirth aka the super soldier project that created Captain America)

drrockso20 posted:

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think sometimes Weapon X has the go ahead from the Canadian government, but they're kinda recursively mysterious so everything about them constantly shifts. Sometimes they're in a separate dimension? There's a French Weapon X guy who I think isn't French Canadian.

Comicbooks get very complicated and silly.
How does Weapon X fit into this? That was Marvel Canda, right?
Weapon X is a bit complicated. Via series of retcons, we get to a state where it started as the 10th in a line of multinational experiments called Weapon Plus to create a super soldier that began with Captain America and ended(?) in New X-Men with Weapons XIII, XIV, and XV (I think? I don't remember the numbers, it was a few past Wolverine). Wolverine was the result of X, and Fantomex is one of those final group.

Weapon X spins off and became its own program in Canada run by Department K, their weird secret special ops department, and mostly stick to doing hosed up genetic manipulation. This Weapon X program initially works to recreate Logan's healing factor and is pretty successful, except they put it in Wade Wilson who ain't the brightest.

Weapon Plus gets Weapon X to set up a bunch of concentration camps for mutants, which no one outside Canada seems to give a poo poo about and it's not mentioned anywhere else and everyone forgets about it. At some point they decide to make a double half-clone of Wolverine so we get the better Wolverine, and then they decide to make Hulks

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Meanwhile it's Canon that current Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau routinely punches Tony Stark in the face

Edit: also to circle back to xman 97, Rogue was a member of the Canadian Government

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bunnyofdoom posted:

Meanwhile it's Canon that current Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau routinely punches Tony Stark in the face

Edit: also to circle back to xman 97, Rogue was a member of the Canadian Government

I wish he would do that to Elon Musk

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Endless Mike posted:

Weapon X is a bit complicated. Via series of retcons, we get to a state where it started as the 10th in a line of multinational experiments called Weapon Plus to create a super soldier that began with Captain America and ended(?) in New X-Men with Weapons XIII, XIV, and XV (I think? I don't remember the numbers, it was a few past Wolverine). Wolverine was the result of X, and Fantomex is one of those final group.

Weapon X spins off and became its own program in Canada run by Department K, their weird secret special ops department, and mostly stick to doing hosed up genetic manipulation. This Weapon X program initially works to recreate Logan's healing factor and is pretty successful, except they put it in Wade Wilson who ain't the brightest.

Weapon Plus gets Weapon X to set up a bunch of concentration camps for mutants, which no one outside Canada seems to give a poo poo about and it's not mentioned anywhere else and everyone forgets about it. At some point they decide to make a double half-clone of Wolverine so we get the better Wolverine, and then they decide to make Hulks

I thought it was Department H so I looked it up and no, the two departments are different. And then I saw a very weird note at the bottom of a wiki entry:

quote:

Trivia
According to Alpha Flight (Vol. 2) #1 (August, 1997), Department H's official date of inception is July 2; if bureaucratic organizations had astrological signs, its sign would be Cancer (June 20-July 22)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, Department H is the more above the board department that Alpha Flight is under. Department K is the murder department.

I have no clue what Departments I or J do

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also to be correct Mystiques brotherhood joined the US Government as a do whatever you want taskforce called Freedom Force. They showed up as that far more often than as the Brotherhood. And fun was had that these these villains were legally in the right for whatever they were showing up for.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
If I recall, they were slightly more competent as Freedom Force, too.

They beat the Avengers by jumping them during a baseball game they were having. (Always baseball. I don't remember Excalibur every having cricket breaks.)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

PicklePants posted:

If I recall, they were slightly more competent as Freedom Force, too.

They beat the Avengers by jumping them during a baseball game they were having. (Always baseball. I don't remember Excalibur every having cricket breaks.)

Freedom Force showed up with a warrant because Gyrich loved nothing more than to mess with the Avengers.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
They also gained a bunch of new members like Spiral and Spider-Woman. (Spiral just two months after her debut as a character)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

They also gained a bunch of new members like Spiral and Spider-Woman. (Spiral just two months after her debut as a character)

When was Spider-Woman on Freedom Force, and which Spider-Woman?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Air Skwirl posted:

When was Spider-Woman on Freedom Force, and which Spider-Woman?

Spider-Woman 2 aka Julia Carpenter. She joined during Freedom Force's second appearance being the first new member after Spiral. During the time where Freedom Force captured the East and West Coast Avenger, she had second thoughts and decided to free the Avengers after they were captured (which meant she could no longer stay with Freedom Force).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So this is going to be a thing I guess

https://comicbookmovie.com/justice-...09565#gs.5i282e

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

If that article is true, I have an answer for the headline: Hahaha, no.