Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Everyone seems to be talking about Starship Troopers suddenly on the internet. I've been seeing some wild poo poo including:

-A perfectly great description of the movie being an amazing parody of fascist propaganda. They 100% understood the movie and seemed to really understand fascism and how decaying fascist states need a war. But the closing remarks were then comparing Ukraine and "the west" to the decaying Federation from Starship Troopers and Russia and BRICs to the bugs who are now simply defending themselves and we need to support Russia's defense of their natural sphere of influence and hasten the decay of the fascist west.

-Nazi's and alt-right types going on and on about how even in the movie the federation is in the right and is good and how of course libs rather have humanity destroyed by bugs than ever admit a war economy might need a little discipline. Look how diverse the federation is. HOW can you say they're coded as nazi's or even right wing when there's racial diversity in the movie. This is a genuinely utopian society!

-Actually the Federation is clearly a satire on liberal society because the useless military is head by a BLACK WOMAN who's obviously bad at her job and there's forced diversity everywhere. It's crystal clear that the movie is showing how a society with so much forced diversity and women in the military is destined to fail. The federation's propaganda and brainwashing in school is exactly what the democrats/libs want.

People are loving insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Baronjutter posted:

Everyone seems to be talking about Starship Troopers suddenly on the internet. I've been seeing some wild poo poo including:

-A perfectly great description of the movie being an amazing parody of fascist propaganda. They 100% understood the movie and seemed to really understand fascism and how decaying fascist states need a war. But the closing remarks were then comparing Ukraine and "the west" to the decaying Federation from Starship Troopers and Russia and BRICs to the bugs who are now simply defending themselves and we need to support Russia's defense of their natural sphere of influence and hasten the decay of the fascist west.

-Nazi's and alt-right types going on and on about how even in the movie the federation is in the right and is good and how of course libs rather have humanity destroyed by bugs than ever admit a war economy might need a little discipline. Look how diverse the federation is. HOW can you say they're coded as nazi's or even right wing when there's racial diversity in the movie. This is a genuinely utopian society!

-Actually the Federation is clearly a satire on liberal society because the useless military is head by a BLACK WOMAN who's obviously bad at her job and there's forced diversity everywhere. It's crystal clear that the movie is showing how a society with so much forced diversity and women in the military is destined to fail. The federation's propaganda and brainwashing in school is exactly what the democrats/libs want.

My brain as I read this post

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

yeah I see a lot of marks, all right...those people who sat through the whole TNG bloopers video!!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Baronjutter posted:

Somebody made a bad post on Twitter so now we all have to lose our minds

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

Wrath, hate, pain, and death!

Or: ignore it and anything about it

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Molothecat posted:

And give up an opportunity to lose my mind?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

The humanities department at my university regularly had various professors from the faculty fellows give talks with free refreshments

One of them was about how starship troopers wasn't a parody because it didn't wink to the camera.

Which was about as good as the one that explained that children who thought their parents were hypocrites just didn't understand their parents, because the views they listed their parents as having didn't match their parents' actual* views.

*self-reported

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

Wrath, hate, pain, and death!

see? I just did it again

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I feel like generally twitter posting has been trending down, but when it does have a flareup it's worse than ever. I encourage all the posters to simply not seek out something to get mad at

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

kalel posted:

bug isn't as scary as bant. white has better removal nowadays

Bants aren't bugs!!!!

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

I don't really understand deliberately going to the loving double crypto (fascist/currency) site to hang out with such cool people as:

Weird Malaysian incel who cosplayed so hard as an American he got the death penalty;

Pro apartheid child stealing mom fucker who pretends he invented the written word while being dumber than a broken pencil;

7560000 Soviet propaganda Bots;

Several different types of terrorists;

Etc.

Like, you don't actually have to go there and give your data, money, and attention to three different fascist ethnostates, 2 of which are currently actively attempting genocides. You can just not do that.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Kingo Ligma posted:

Weird Malaysian incel who cosplayed so hard as an American he got the death penalty;
I thought that was a hoax

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Kingo Ligma posted:

I don't really understand deliberately going to the loving double crypto (fascist/currency) site to hang out with such cool people as:

Pro apartheid child stealing mom fucker who pretends he invented the written word while being dumber than a broken pencil;

Etc.

Like, you don't actually have to go there and give your data, money, and attention to three different fascist ethnostates, 2 of which are currently actively attempting genocides. You can just not do that.

The thing is, if I go collect takes from the loving scum of the earth and then repost them here, I might be able to get a lot of dopamine hits from being quoted by people who got mad. So, it's impossible to say if it's bad or not

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

spider starts with an 's' :smugdog:

That's when all 8 writers looked at each other and knew they had something truly special.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
apropos of nothing, masters of the air is loving dogshit lmao. just an absolute piece of garbage show, very fail

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Wild to see what social media has turned in 20 years.

Imagine what itll be like in 100

I think we will assault eachothers dreams

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Kingo Ligma posted:

Etc.

Like it or not, if you have something to say on the internet, it's more likely to be seen by many more people on twitter than on any other message board. People post things online because they want it to be seen. Just talking to a few dozen people on a dead forum doesn't cut it anymore.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Tunicate posted:

The humanities department at my university regularly had various professors from the faculty fellows give talks with free refreshments

One of them was about how starship troopers wasn't a parody because it didn't wink to the camera.

Did someone raise their hand and ask about the difference between satire and parody?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

JediTalentAgent posted:

Did someone raise their hand and ask about the difference between satire and parody?

There were a couple of questions like that and yes he was taking it dead seriously as a 'fascist utopia', or at least putting up the pretense of doing so.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I feel like starship troopers could have one of those bell curve memes with goofuses enjoying it for the action and clever folks enjoying it for the satire and middlebrow people all mad that it “glorifies fascism” or whatever.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

priznat posted:

I feel like starship troopers could have one of those bell curve memes with goofuses enjoying it for the action and clever folks enjoying it for the satire and middlebrow people all mad that it “glorifies fascism” or whatever.

here you go

mystes
May 31, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

here you go

Lmao

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Molothecat posted:

Nah I’d rather provoke the bugs

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

dreezy posted:

apropos of nothing, masters of the air is loving dogshit lmao. just an absolute piece of garbage show, very fail

yeah it’s a shame. i have watched 4 episodes and i still have no idea who anyone is because the show is so schizophrenically presented. and the cgi is embarrassing.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Kingo Ligma posted:

Bants aren't bugs!!!!

A good Kingo post.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The new Plinkett video is extremely good.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Gutcruncher posted:

Nah I’d rather provoke the bugs

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

Gripweed posted:

The new Plinkett video is extremely good.

Red Letter Media 2024: why am I watching this?

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Lister posted:

Like it or not, if you have something to say on the internet, it's more likely to be seen by many more people on twitter than on any other message board. People post things online because they want it to be seen. Just talking to a few dozen people on a dead forum doesn't cut it anymore.

This isn't remotely true. Yes twitter has more users than these forums, but that's like comparing Skrewdriver to a local garage band and saying they must be good because they have a bigger audience. Instagram is Taylor Swift, and both are insignificant to all normies.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

I just want to say the talk show guy who says "Frankly I find the idea of a bug that thinks O-FFENSIVE" knocked that bit out of the park and I wish he'd been in more clips

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

FeculentWizardTits posted:

I just want to say the talk show guy who says "Frankly I find the idea of a bug that thinks O-FFENSIVE" knocked that bit out of the park and I wish he'd been in more clips

Imagine that guy and the I'd buy that for a dollar guy on the same skit :allears:

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Masters of the Air is cool because it’s a real life version of the opening scene of The Last Jedi. Life imitates art.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

It's honestly really impressive how rarely they hosed up the door stickers.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

FeculentWizardTits posted:

https://i.imgur.com/8VJRUQT.mp4

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

https://x.com/williamshatner/status/1759394082844283300?s=46&t=7IX9GxbIEPra1x9IFSEgww

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Nah, it's far funnier it stays blocked.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Kingo Ligma posted:

Etc.

nobodies going to join your mastodon instance

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

dr_rat posted:

Nah, it's far funnier it stays blocked.

Yeah i feel like Mike can't take any more bullying by shat's account

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
I hate Shat and TOS. It's an ugly show with horrible makeup effects and set design, bad acting, and childish storylines that frequently saw them visiting planets that happened to look just like the paramount back lot that were peopled by aliens that happened to look exactly like humans. The music was lousy, too. I guess shat was ok in the movies, they at least didn't look like they were intentionally trying to make everything look as cheap and stupid as possible.

Please don't tell anyone how mad i am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Please don't tell anyone how mad i am.

Sorry, I've already forward how mad you are on to shat. :(