Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Al! posted:

school military lunch debt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Homeless Friend posted:

the point is fireworks are extremely basic not that fireworks don't exist everywhere in the world lol

The Oldest Man posted:

every day thread title is not updated to present tense it gets wronger

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Homeless Friend posted:

the point is fireworks are extremely basic not that fireworks don't exist everywhere in the world lol

You wonder what kind of secret artisan fireworks the other countries make.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

stephenthinkpad posted:

insert joke about italian fireworks here

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

PawParole posted:

Yemen Yemen make us proud.
Run another ship aground.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Livo posted:

As for conscription? Oof, my dad narrowly missed out on being sent to Vietnam, as Australia held a "Birthday lottery ballot"; if your birthday was called, you had to report for conscription aka National Service with the Army, or be jailed.

Pretty sure this isn't true. America had extremely lax enforcement against draft dodgers and looking it up Australia appears to be the same.

quote:

https://www.awm.gov.au/articles/encyclopedia/viet_app

Imprisoned for refusal to obey a call-up notice: 14

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

stephenthinkpad posted:

lol that was exactly my thought when i saw the japanese/euro fireworks. must be a few designs in particular that are popular and sold widely but not too popular to get gobbled by a chinese factory.

HouseofSuren
Feb 5, 2024

by Pragmatica

Weka posted:

Pretty sure this isn't true. America had extremely lax enforcement against draft dodgers and looking it up Australia appears to be the same.

They will come get you here in the US for evading the draft, what on earth are you talking about.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

HouseofSuren posted:

They will come get you here in the US for evading the draft, what on earth are you talking about.

It is now known that, during the Vietnam era, approximately 570,000 young men were classified as draft offenders,[3] and approximately 210,000 were formally accused of draft violations;[11][3] however, only 8,750 were convicted and only 3,250 were jailed.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Draft_evasion_in_the_Vietnam_War

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

remember libs getting mad at trump for being a draft dodger lol

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

yellowcar posted:

remember libs getting mad at trump for being a draft dodger lol

Biden's exemption was way more suspicious iirc. Wasn't he like a double varsity athlete claiming sudden onset asthma that was never mentioned after the war?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9gH6iAldOg

DJJIB-DJDCT has issued a correction as of 02:06 on Feb 19, 2024

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
No man, it's just a stutter

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
You're not a draft dodger if you get a sketchy medical exemption.

HouseofSuren
Feb 5, 2024

by Pragmatica

Weka posted:

It is now known that, during the Vietnam era, approximately 570,000 young men were classified as draft offenders,[3] and approximately 210,000 were formally accused of draft violations;[11][3] however, only 8,750 were convicted and only 3,250 were jailed.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Draft_evasion_in_the_Vietnam_War

That's fair, though I do think the magnitude of the war has a causative and correlative effect on this.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Weka
May 5, 2019

HouseofSuren posted:

That's fair, though I do think the magnitude of the war has a causative and correlative effect on this.

quote:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conscription_in_the_United_States#World_War_II

During World War II, 49 million men were registered, 36 million classified,[failed verification] and 10 million inducted.
Draft evasion accounted for about 4% of the total inducted. About 373,000 alleged evaders were investigated with just over 16,000 being imprisoned.

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

https://www.theonion.com/clinton-deploys-very-special-forces-to-iraq-1819565019

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

Morale is said to be high among members of the very special forces, who were flown Monday from Sheppard Air Force Base to Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, in a squadron of specially modified C-130 "short planes."

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Biden's exemption was way more suspicious iirc. Wasn't he like a double varsity athlete claiming sudden onset asthma that was never mentioned after the war?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9gH6iAldOg

Makes plenty of sense to me. Only a champion athlete could dodge a draft with so much poise and agility while still making a perfectly graceful landing. All that gymastics really paid off.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

i don't think anyone effectively gives a poo poo about draft dodging for politicians because the only people who would get mad about it are crazy idiots that love genocide and those types are dog-brained morons who will just comply with whatever they perceive to be the position of the strongest/most aggressive people around. and obviously rich people are going to have more resources necessary to draft dodge. I guess it could be useful for reinforcing votes but i don't think it would be significant for changing minds

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
If there is ever another draft you'll see the most wel played game of dodgeball since the movie of the same name and queues outside doctor offices going for blocks.

However such a move would end much worse than the planners expect. We live in corporations, not nations. In corporate accounting we trust.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

DancingShade posted:

If there is ever another draft you'll see the most wel played game of dodgeball since the movie of the same name and queues outside doctor offices going for blocks.

However such a move would end much worse than the planners expect. We live in corporations, not nations. In corporate accounting we trust.

Lmao at the thought of the absolute hell world we gave gen z/a to live in then going "oh yeah, you gotta fight and die for it now". Yeah sure I bet that'd go well!

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Now that I think about it "draft dodger" was a term of shame some decades ago which resonated most strongly with the post great wars generations. It might be the opposite with today's mentality where "suckers" get drafted and "winners" dodge, skip and jump. So I'm not sure attacking X or Y on the basis of serving / not serving will have the desired effect.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Tiktok would just be filled with a million different ways to dodge lmao

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

in turkey you can just submit a manila folder with pics of you, a guy, having sex with guys

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Imagine what the background guy in the middle was thinking.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

lmao

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

it's just livor mortis

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

life comes at you fast

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Justin Tyme posted:

Lmao at the thought of the absolute hell world we gave gen z/a to live in then going "oh yeah, you gotta fight and die for it now". Yeah sure I bet that'd go well!

levels of officer fragging not seen since the pits of vietnam

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Kitfox88 posted:

levels of officer fragging not seen since the pits of vietnam

epic fragging tiktoks

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

wikihow to kill your commanding officer

Livo
Dec 31, 2023

Weka posted:

I stand corrected, I was thinking of the jailed conscientious objectors like Brian Ross who was initially sentenced to 2 years prison before it was overturned by the court or William White who was imprisoned in 1966 but eventually released as well. I assumed prison was the default punishment for everyone refusing to report for conscription in Australia, but it seems it wasn't really enforced in practice as you said, apart from a very few high profile cases.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

your life can get pretty hard in America if you don't register for selective service
Men 26 and Older | Selective Service System

www.sss.gov posted:

According to law, a man must register with Selective Service within 30 days of his 18th birthday. Selective Service accepts late registrations up until a man reaches his 26th birthday.

Failure to register is a felony and non-registrants may be denied the following benefits for life:

• State-based student loans and grant programs in 31 states

• Federal job training under the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (formerly Workforce Investment Act)

• Federal (and many state and local) jobs

• Up to a 5-year delay of U.S. citizenship proceedings for immigrants

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
just be corpulent and have thick glasses lah.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

DancingShade posted:

Now that I think about it "draft dodger" was a term of shame some decades ago which resonated most strongly with the post great wars generations. It might be the opposite with today's mentality where "suckers" get drafted and "winners" dodge, skip and jump. So I'm not sure attacking X or Y on the basis of serving / not serving will have the desired effect.

Counterpoint: Muhammed Ali

fizziester
Dec 21, 2023

Source: CNN

https://edition.cnn.com/2024/02/19/politics/us-army-ukraine-support-pressure/index.html

US Army under increasing pressure as it foots bill for Ukraine support
By Haley Britzky and Natasha Bertrand, CNN
5 minute read
Published 12:00 AM EST, Mon February 19, 2024

As funding for Ukraine faces an uncertain future in Congress, the US Army has been left to foot the bill for hundreds of millions of dollars in support for Ukraine’s war effort against Russia over the last few months — and Army officials are increasingly concerned that without new funding, they will have to begin pulling money from other critical projects to continue supporting Kyiv.

Since October 2023, the beginning of the fiscal year, the Army has spent over $430 million on various operations, including training Ukrainian troops, transporting equipment, and US troop deployments to Europe...

... So far, that bill has been paid from the Army’s Europe and Africa Command. Without a 2024 budget approved by Congress, and without additional funding specifically for Ukraine, the command has roughly $3 billion to pay for $5 billion of operations costs, a second senior Army official explained. That includes not only the operations related to Ukraine support — training and ferrying weapons and equipment to Poland and Ukraine — but other operations for the US command throughout Europe and Africa.

If Congress still hasn’t passed new funding for Ukraine within a few months, Army officials say they will have to start making hard decisions and divert money from less critical projects, such as badly needed barracks construction or enlistment incentives amid record-low recruiting...

... “If we don’t get a base budget, if we don’t get Ukraine supplemental [funding package], if the government shuts down, if we get nothing else and nothing changes from today … we will run out of [operations and maintenance] funding in May,” the Army official said. Those operations include training exercises for Army forces in Europe and Africa and equipment moving into the theater. Contracts also wouldn’t be paid on time and would garner penalty fees, he added.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

If they pull funding from barracks to fund Ukraine, truly the dumbest people are in charge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

the dumbest people are in charge.