Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's not that weird honestly. other big rpgs released on super famicom in 95, it was probably seen as a safer bet for 2d games given that the ps1's first year was mostly it awkwardly shambling forward trying to sell itself as a major 3d games platform on the king's field skeleton. there's a reason sega's execs were confident they could go toe to toe with the ps1, until 1997

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the more i play and learn about shadow tower the more utterly bizarre this poo poo is. from was on one

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

The Colonel posted:

the more i play and learn about shadow tower the more utterly bizarre this poo poo is. from was on one

Didn't Shadow Tower Abyss have a pretty big impact on Souls or Bloodborne or something?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
literally every game from made before souls did. armored core had an impact on souls. if you play their older games in order it is literally like, one by one them assembling the building blocks that became what people call a soulslike. shadow tower specifically contributed a ton of the weirder aesthetic ideas, stat building and basic control and probably did have an even more outsized effect on bloodborne since it was their first experiment with lovecraftian horror

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the og ps1 shadow tower on its own though is just nuts. incredibly weird and cryptic poo poo. it's like from decided king's field was too easy and too normal so here's a game where literally nothing is clearly indicated to you whatsoever and everything is deeply important to not dying. here's a game where all your weapons break if you hit things with them too much but also, you need to kill everything to stay strong because every enemy you kill boosts a stat. hope you're good at finding repair items and repair shops, that cost hp if you want to repair things so also you need to conserve your hp potions for more than just not getting your poo poo beat out of you by trolls

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, a lot of people like to act like Demon's Souls sprung fully formed from the aether but it was the result of years upon years of building and experimenting and there's stuff even in their non-obvious games that contribute.

Still sad we won't get another ACE as good as 3 though.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
beat my first boss in shadow tower. what the gently caress was that poo poo

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the feeble souls gamer crying in the corner when the boss hits them multiple times in a row with an undodgeable paralyzation attack while the boss' lancer pal stabs at every individual limb on their body and they're unable to dodge roll a single strike

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

King of Solomon posted:

Ys 8 (Lacrimosa of Dana) or Ys Origin. Oath in Felghana is cool too, but I think it's actually even harder than Origin was, and imo Origin is right there with Ys 8 as the best Ys game.

Oath has a friggin' weird obsession with the Z-Axis and Adol in that game is absolutely not equipped to handle it. The rest of the game fine and great, but it feels like most of the middle of the game is filled with flying enemies/big bosses with off-the-ground weakpoints that take 3x as long to kill as anything else and wreck your poo poo. It's one of the hardest Ys games, but I find it real hard to appreciate where that difficulty comes from.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

First boss sucks but otherwise Oath so good.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
Picked up Quester (sorry, I mean QUESTER) again after a mention of the sequel; I bounced off the start first time. Realizing that the initial equipment loadout is all wrong helped me get my feet, and now I'm moving along at a good clip.

Oddly enough, your starting melee character is a better tank than any of the "real" tanks. Her aggro-attraction skill is also a strong offensive buff and bleed debuffs count as damage for aggro calculations, so she can keep aggro while still doing major damage. Then she can use her buffs as necessary from turn 2 onward and rely on her self-healing passive to keep any debuffs off. I got the defender who exchanges aggro attraction skills for a free party healing passive, so I dropped the healer for her. It's working well.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Oath in Felghana is a remake of a side-scrolling game for the SNES and a lot of the boss fights were brought over pretty much unchanged into the new engine.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

The Colonel posted:

the feeble souls gamer crying in the corner when the boss hits them multiple times in a row with an undodgeable paralyzation attack while the boss' lancer pal stabs at every individual limb on their body and they're unable to dodge roll a single strike

I have a copy of Shadow Tower on the way, and your posts have me a bit concerned.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Playing Dirge of Cerberus for the first time and using mouse and keyboard to do it.

I feel like I've been lied to the whole time, this game rules.

Props to the boss fight that's just them walking next to a bunch of exploding barrels.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I played a bit of Live a Live and it's great. It makes me wonder A)If all of these stories are generally going to end up being bittersweet and B) What other games are just bite sized little stories like this? Octopath Traveler? I've beaten Imperial China and Present Day. There's something really endearing about talking to the citizens in the Shifu story and them all saying thank you and giving you a gift personally instead of having a shop and money to it like usual.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Valkyrie Profile is you going around and seeing a small story about what a character was doing right before they died before you recruit them. I don't remember if you actually play during any of those segments, though.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I got the will to drive myself sleepless
Live A Live is such a gem. I'll admit it's not the most mechanically sound game, but I really love the unique little vignette's they come up with for each story, and I think the stories all come together in a really interesting way. Currently working on the remake myself, played the fan translated version years ago so it's nice to re-experience the game after all this time.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Ornamented Death posted:

I have a copy of Shadow Tower on the way, and your posts have me a bit concerned.

it's not a super kaizo game but it feels like they overcorrected for king's field getting a bit easy in spots by designing a game entirely to be extremely hard in those spots. its take on durability is the harshest in any of from's games and you basically have to learn entirely how to manage it which can be a bit tricky since the game has a couple systems, like a weapons trade-in shop, that can potentially doom your playthrough if you aren't careful with it because half of the setup in early game shadow tower is collecting as many weapons as possible so that you'll never be left without one

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
you also really have to read up on the stats and how to raise them. especially in the english tl the stat names are just sort of confusing and nonspecific, the manual tells you what they all correlate to so you can know what to spend your soul pots on. but also even more importantly, your stats go up whenever you kill an enemy and enemy spawns are limited. it might seem smart to avoid enemies to save on weapon durability, but leaving any enemy alive is leaving behind bigger numbers for your stats. so what you actually want to do is kill every single enemy you see, and if they drop any kind of item, any item at all, whether it's a single coin or a weapon, cling onto it for dear life because you absolutely will need it later.

also repair shops charge hp. health potions restore all your hp, no matter how high. so make sure your strength ("vitality") stat goes really high and try to save potions for each visit

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

There should be more anthology RPGs.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Einander posted:

Picked up Quester (sorry, I mean QUESTER) again after a mention of the sequel; I bounced off the start first time. Realizing that the initial equipment loadout is all wrong helped me get my feet, and now I'm moving along at a good clip.

Oddly enough, your starting melee character is a better tank than any of the "real" tanks. Her aggro-attraction skill is also a strong offensive buff and bleed debuffs count as damage for aggro calculations, so she can keep aggro while still doing major damage. Then she can use her buffs as necessary from turn 2 onward and rely on her self-healing passive to keep any debuffs off. I got the defender who exchanges aggro attraction skills for a free party healing passive, so I dropped the healer for her. It's working well.

Eh, I disagree. My experience is that while aggro management can be pretty challenging for tanks, nothing can stand nearly as much punishment as a good tank. It really, really helps to have someone up front who's just a solid wall, and I never felt like a dps with high aggro quite reached that bar. Plus you do get more aggro management tools as you go on; a dps with Hide can give hate to the tank, or a tank with Bodyguard can steal aggro from dps.

Also the final boss is balls hard and the starter tank came in extremely clutch for me, because his final skill is a passive where he will continuously revive as long as he's not the only one alive. He took a ridiculous amount of damage on that fight and I have no idea how I would've done it without him.

Arzaac fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Feb 19, 2024

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

ultrafilter posted:

Oath in Felghana is a remake of a side-scrolling game for the SNES and a lot of the boss fights were brought over pretty much unchanged into the new engine.

Even ignoring the complete perspective change and all that entails, Oath's entire combat system is heavily dependent on magic ring mechanics that didn't really exist in remotely the same fashion in the original game.

It's kind of like saying that FF7 Remake's bosses were brought over pretty much unchanged from FF7 despite the combat system and the entire way you interact with those bosses being enormously different.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Can all of granblue be played multiplayer or only the monster hunter style sidequests/endgame?

how accommodating is it of playing with people at different levels? i.e. can lower level players punch above their weight in higher level quests by playing well/can higher level players still benefit from the quest rewards of lower level quests, or is that not worth the time?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

ImpAtom posted:

Still sad we won't get another ACE as good as 3 though.

Probably won't get one as bad as R either

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I just wish From Software would remember Lost Kingdoms exists and remaster them. Or make a new one.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Owl Inspector posted:

Can all of granblue be played multiplayer or only the monster hunter style sidequests/endgame?

how accommodating is it of playing with people at different levels? i.e. can lower level players punch above their weight in higher level quests by playing well/can higher level players still benefit from the quest rewards of lower level quests, or is that not worth the time?

only the subquests

it has power scaling if you random join assistance requests, otherwise all bets are off, though you can just use a character you haven't invested in much, it tells you the PWR of people in your session so you can throw on better sigils as your lowbie friend increases or whatever

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

kirbysuperstar posted:

Probably won't get one as bad as R either

R was very bad but I'd rather play R than ACE 1, at least.

microfolk
Aug 15, 2023

CATGIRL DEATH INDUSTRIAL
My favorite part of Shadow Tower was running against every single wall while spamming the interact button trying to find all the secret walls, and I say this unironically I love that game to death. It's my favorite in the extended KF series alongside King's Field IV.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
By my memory Shadow Tower is one of those games where the difficulty curve peaks in the early game and it actually ends up pretty easy once you're past that and you're just circling around helpless enemies. I wrote a few basic tips on the BIP wiki when I played it too.

Like with the other PS1 era "Shadow" game Shadow Hearts, I appreciated the amount of weird monster designs in that game a lot. Quite a lot of variety there too, the bestiary has 150 entries which is pretty impressive for a PS1 dungeon crawler, even if it does include some palette swaps and NPCs.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Shadow Tower isn't as hard as it sounds if you have reasonably good videogame instincts for conserving and using your resources, until the endgame where it will happily data corrupt, respawning items, wrecking event triggers and rendering entering shops a hardlock. Somehow I can't find any other instances of it happening to anyone else on the internet, managed to clear somehow regardless but god drat rip

wrt the mechanics i had for instance the completely wrong idea about what was causing hp or mp to regen until i wiki dove post clear so you don't really need to know know that stuff, reading the manual gives you enough of a leg up

Tonfa fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Feb 19, 2024

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Mr. Locke posted:

Oath has a friggin' weird obsession with the Z-Axis and Adol in that game is absolutely not equipped to handle it. The rest of the game fine and great, but it feels like most of the middle of the game is filled with flying enemies/big bosses with off-the-ground weakpoints that take 3x as long to kill as anything else and wreck your poo poo. It's one of the hardest Ys games, but I find it real hard to appreciate where that difficulty comes from.

I felt Oath in Felghana was challenging but fair but Ark of Napishtim kicked my rear end. probably should have been grinding more cause the basic enemies in an area didn't seem to give you much of an idea how strong the boss would be.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Origin is the best Ys game and that era of chop-chop-chop-chop-chop combat really spoiled me to the point it's hard to play any of the new ones because Adol swings his sword so drat slow

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

That era of gameplay was really fun, no superfluous elements like healing or consumables, just intense combat and very novel and elaborate boss encounters

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

I felt Oath in Felghana was challenging but fair but Ark of Napishtim kicked my rear end. probably should have been grinding more cause the basic enemies in an area didn't seem to give you much of an idea how strong the boss would be.

I've been playing Ark and I've found it no less jump attack orientated than Oath. Particularly annoying as the second boss can cover your character so you can't tell if you're going to do a rising attack or a slam (rising attacks doing much more damage).

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

No Dignity posted:

That era of gameplay was really fun, no superfluous elements like healing or consumables, just intense combat and very novel and elaborate boss encounters
Napishtim can in fact be a bit brute forced a little bit if you just have a ton of healing items on hand, which led to that one mode being added to the Steam release which auto-consumes healing items when you get them to bring it more in line with Oath/Origin.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

There's no helping the awful platforming in Ark. You need an extremely precise jump and a Hail Mary to get all the collectables. The sequels just gave you a double jump.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

RareAcumen posted:

What other games are just bite sized little stories like this?

Dragon Quest 7, kinda-sorta. You're playing as the same characters, but you unlock landmasses, solve whatever problem is going on, then get items to unlock the next one, etc. etc. There is a primary antagonist, but it doesn't show up until way, way later.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
absolutely loving me up that the one of the name changes in the english tl of shadow tower was changing a guy's name to necron. this guy's original name is MASTER DEATH. this isn't even like, the english translation of the meaning of his name his name is literally just マスターデス

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

RareAcumen posted:

I played a bit of Live a Live and it's great. It makes me wonder A)If all of these stories are generally going to end up being bittersweet and B) What other games are just bite sized little stories like this? Octopath Traveler? I've beaten Imperial China and Present Day. There's something really endearing about talking to the citizens in the Shifu story and them all saying thank you and giving you a gift personally instead of having a shop and money to it like usual.

Romancing SaGa 3 is like this. You will eventually stumble into the ending of the game, but before that you’re sort of unlocking new map nodes to solve little quests for everyone.

Edit: They are not super fleshed out stories.

SaGa Frontier might actually be closer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Colonel posted:

absolutely loving me up that the one of the name changes in the english tl of shadow tower was changing a guy's name to necron. this guy's original name is MASTER DEATH. this isn't even like, the english translation of the meaning of his name his name is literally just マスターデス

I think that's one of those cases where the Japanese name might be in English but it's in goofy enough English (or viewed as goofy enough English) that they try to go for something that has a similar tone.