Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Also for some other, different yet correct reasons, most medicines degrade in the presence of light and moisture, and having them in ice cream-like bins means constant cross-contamination from pills falling into the wrong bins and from the pill dust settling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I just need one more amoxicillin, please, just one more Moxie and I'll be back to normal, I just have to depress the bacterial infection in my head, PLEASE

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 43 minutes!

Byzantine posted:

Also for some other, different yet correct reasons, most medicines degrade in the presence of light and moisture, and having them in ice cream-like bins means constant cross-contamination from pills falling into the wrong bins and from the pill dust settling.

You know there would be people huffing mystery pill dust so hard.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Panfilo posted:

You know there would be people huffing mystery pill dust so hard.

I'd pay extra for some mystery pill dust.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Sell it like pixie stix

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Sell it like Fun Dip but make the stick look like an oversized xanax, complete with the little parts that break off.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Stick is the best part of fun dip

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Captchas are an okay idea in theory, but having a computer generate and proctor the Turing Test defeats the entire purpose. We need artisanal captcha makers that can speak to the human experience. "Check every box that makes you sad."

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
they already seem to mostly contain vehicles or traffic lights which tbh are the 2 things that make me feel saddest in life

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Atticus_1354 posted:

I'd pay extra for some mystery pill dust.

What about the scrapings from the sharps container in our medicine room at work? Definitely benzos, probably some opioids.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Elissimpark posted:

What about the scrapings from the sharps container in our medicine room at work? Definitely benzos, probably some opioids.

Bro, I'm working 6 12-hour overnights in a row. Let me stir that into my coffee.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

If I was in a horror movie and was attacked by a monster and calling for help, I would simply say that I was attacked by a guy dressed as a monster. The idiots in those movies always say "I was attacked by a werewolf!" and obviously no one one believes them. But if they said "Some freak in a wolf mask just tried to steal my cell phone!" people are way more likely to believe that. And everybody would be on the lookout for someone with a wolf head.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Gripweed posted:

If I was in a horror movie and was attacked by a monster and calling for help, I would simply say that I was attacked by a guy dressed as a monster. The idiots in those movies always say "I was attacked by a werewolf!" and obviously no one one believes them. But if they said "Some freak in a wolf mask just tried to steal my cell phone!" people are way more likely to believe that. And everybody would be on the lookout for someone with a wolf head.

I would simply not get attacked by a monster.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I'd prolly just get killed tbh

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Gripweed posted:

If you got bitten by the werewolf and turned into one, you could also just buy a wolf costume and tell everyone you're making a low budget movie that you can only film three nights a month because you're dedicated to practical effects only. You could keep the pretense going for years if you didn't mind people thinking you were a loser wannabe filmmaker who was never going to finish their supposed passion project.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

docbeard posted:

If you got bitten by the werewolf and turned into one, you could also just buy a wolf costume and tell everyone you're making a low budget movie that you can only film three nights a month because you're dedicated to practical effects only. You could keep the pretense going for years if you didn't mind people thinking you were a loser wannabe filmmaker who was never going to finish their supposed passion project.

If you had an experienced crew and a tight script you could get all the effects shots you need for a feature length film in three nights. Especially since the effects are real so you don’t need to worry about repairing the suit or anything.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Gripweed posted:

If you had an experienced crew and a tight script you could get all the effects shots you need for a feature length film in three nights. Especially since the effects are real so you don’t need to worry about repairing the suit or anything.

Yes but then I'd need a new cover story, so you see the dilemma I face as a struggling werewolf filmmaker (making a film about a werewolf while being a werewolf)

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
The half Windsor knot shouldn't exist. I like the simple knot for people who do the whole semi-casual shirt-and-tie unbuttoned-collar I'm-a-middle-manager-but-I'm-hip thing, otherwise do the full Windsor.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

docbeard posted:

Yes but then I'd need a new cover story, so you see the dilemma I face as a struggling werewolf filmmaker (making a film about a werewolf while being a werewolf)

There’s no dilemma, just keep making werewolf movies.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

"Zoomer" is a terrible name for a generation. I hope it's just a temporary stand-in until a real name emerges, like "Generation Y" was for the Millennials.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It's way too late for that, you are stuck with zoomers

Focus on renaming generation alpha, another dog poo poo monicker

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

It's way too late for that, you are stuck with zoomers

Focus on renaming generation alpha, another dog poo poo monicker

Generation omega, since there won't be any more.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Gripweed posted:

There’s no dilemma, just keep making werewolf movies.

Exactly, use the lovely werewolf costume parts you originally bought so you can make sure the "costume" doesn't look too realistic (we're aiming for B-movie schlock horror) and then make as many werewolf movies as you can. Campy scripts full of cliches and lots of sheep's blood to use for practical effects (you will, unfortunately, be killing a lot of sheep to sate your werewolf diet)

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Byzantine posted:

Generation omega, since there won't be any more.

Humanity isn’t ending anytime soon

QR Code Geass
Oct 25, 2023

thetoughestbean posted:

Humanity isn’t ending anytime soon

Very carefully. We won’t outlive bacteria or what have you unless we are very vengeful.

I will grant you H sapiens will outlive you and I but how many generations we have left before very bad things happen is something you can count on your digits.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

QR Code Geass posted:

Very carefully. We won’t outlive bacteria or what have you unless we are very vengeful.

I will grant you H sapiens will outlive you and I but how many generations we have left before very bad things happen is something you can count on your digits.

Even if very bad things happen, humanity will soldier on

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

QR Code Geass posted:

I've been hearing about this end of the world thing since the late 80s. Wish it would hurry up cause if it takes ANOTHER forty years I may miss it.

QR Code Geass
Oct 25, 2023

Robobot posted:

I've been hearing about this end of the world thing since the late 80s. Wish it would hurry up cause if it takes ANOTHER forty years I may miss it.

I am also glad that basic cable shows only a glimpse of overcrowding, anthropogenic climate change and human misery writ large.

Things will probably improve for no reason.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Robobot posted:

The decline and fall of a civilization takes many decades, sometimes centuries, and there is no decisive moment when it's gone. Even after 476 the Roman Senate kept meeting. When did they stop? 600-ish, no one exactly knows :shrug:

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Woolie Wool posted:

The decline and fall of a civilization takes many decades, sometimes centuries, and there is no decisive moment when it's gone. Even after 476 the Roman Senate kept meeting. When did they stop? 600-ish, no one exactly knows :shrug:

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
I've never met a person who got really into Dune and came out happier for it.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Woolie Wool posted:

Look, I was promised biblical catastrophes with split skies raining down acid all while a vengeful sea reclaims entire nations at a time. I've already made peace with the fact that I'll never get to ride an actual hover board in my lifetime, if I also don't get to witness the end of all things I'm gonna be suuuuuuper disappointed.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I don’t like preorders that don’t bill your card until they ship. I would much rather pay when I place the order.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Gripweed posted:

I don’t like preorders that don’t bill your card until they ship. I would much rather pay when I place the order.

I would much rather the "it's on the way" message not get sent until the package is given to a courier. loving 'label created' horse poo poo.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Byzantine posted:

I would much rather the "it's on the way" message not get sent until the package is given to a courier. loving 'label created' horse poo poo.

Oh man. I buy a lot of strange movies from small companies, and this happens all the time. You just know they're just doing the packages and then waiting until they have enough to send Beverly in the van to go drop them off.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Gripweed posted:

This annoys me too.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

This annoys me too.

Yeah, I mean I get the rationale, since they don't want to deal with "I paid for something that never actually became available" refunds or complaints, but it's definitely annoying

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Nameless Pete posted:

I'm definitely that kind of guy who reads books and thinks everyone else should.

A friend of mine is that kind of guy who doesn't read books and brags about it, the same way I brag about reading books.

He told me that he read a Doom tie-in novel, which he liked, then he read all the Dune novels. After that, he was so mad that he never wanted to read anything again.

Having read them myself and enjoyed almost none of it, I had no comeback, and to this day have not pressured him into reading a single thing.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

doctorfrog posted:

I'm definitely that kind of guy who reads books and thinks everyone else should.

A friend of mine is that kind of guy who doesn't read books and brags about it, the same way I brag about reading books.

Oh, uh, I know this one. What would your friend say if I asked him which door I should pick?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Nameless Pete posted:

Dune is one of those things where the first book is excellent, and pretty much everything beyond that gets worse and worse. I liked the new movie and am looking forward to the sequel but the rest of it seems like a recipe for madness.