Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

BonHair posted:

Well that's kinda the point.

A recording of Danish police arresting a guy while calling him a "loving perker" (it's an ethnic slur). The police doubled down on insisting they were saying "perle" (pearl), which makes no sense in or out of context.

They weren't arresting him I think, it was the police squad leader at a protest against a previous Israeli massacre trying to intimidate a Palestinian man. Their defense was that they used to call homeless people, which this man was not, "Pearl Tooth", an old brand of toothpaste, because homeless people can't afford dental health.

He also punched the protester repeatedly in the chest, despite being made aware that he had a pacemaker. Cops are subhuman.

FFT posted:

I thought it was a "pearls before swine" reference, please do explain if it's not too weird/bad

Is it just a portmanteau of "Persian" and "Turk" for the perfidious Middle Easterners?

I believe so, yes.

SplitSoul has issued a correction as of 17:28 on Feb 18, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Frantically hoping that contractions count as two words when my patient says "I'm suicidal"

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

Frantically hoping that contractions count as two words when my patient says "I'm suicidal"

No, only thing you're allowed to reply is "please don't kill yourself". That's some effective therapy!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Deleting "call 988" to keep my paycheck

HootTheOwl has issued a correction as of 17:27 on Feb 18, 2024

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

HootTheOwl posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbFmy4d-E8c

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

Deleting "call 811" to keep my paycheck

"Please don't. Call 811" I write, hoping that the person on the other end notices the full stop.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

HootTheOwl posted:

"oh no!" there, easy.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
Taskmaster Series 27: Stop Alex from committing suicide in ten words or less

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Milo and POTUS posted:

What the everloving gently caress lmfao

imagine you’re getting therapy and your therapist casually mentions this is how they “work”

OH MY BAD
Feb 5, 2024

by Pragmatica
riddles-based therapy

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I guess it’s too hard to pay professionals a salary

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RKmM99b5-Q

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

i am harry posted:

imagine you’re getting therapy and your therapist casually mentions this is how they “work”

One way to get me to go to therapy is to make the therapist's life so awful that I feel guilty for them if I stop going

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

HootTheOwl posted:

"Have you tried a McDonalds Happy Meal today?"

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

euphronius posted:

I guess it’s too hard to pay professionals a salary

trying to fix “people can’t afford therapy” on the supply-pricing side is pretty doomed, I think, given the market void that these stupid companies decided to fill

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

BonHair posted:

"Please don't. Call 811" I write, hoping that the person on the other end notices the full stop.

lmao

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
If I need therapy because I'm depressed about how evil capitalism is and I use BetterHelp, can I then sue afterwards on the basis of the company doing what it promised is fundamentally impossible on an institutional level

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
If not for capitalism shittifying everything something like telehealth for therapists would actually be a good niche for patients and caregivers.
I distinctly remember someone I knew 15 years ago who dropped out of the profession because you made dogshit pay as someone new to the profession and practices were nearly all scams like the one mentioned earlier where you were less an employee and more a professional subletting office space and tithing to the main practitioner.

They wound up making more as an assistant doing hubcap restoration and had a masters degree to pay off.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

ynohtna posted:

"Have you tried a McDonalds Happy Meal today?"

Reminder:

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

McDonald's!

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Coolness Averted posted:

If not for capitalism shittifying everything something like telehealth for therapists would actually be a good niche for patients and caregivers.
I distinctly remember someone I knew 15 years ago who dropped out of the profession because you made dogshit pay as someone new to the profession and practices were nearly all scams like the one mentioned earlier where you were less an employee and more a professional subletting office space and tithing to the main practitioner.

They wound up making more as an assistant doing hubcap restoration and had a masters degree to pay off.

Some friends of mine actually started and run a small telehealth company that manages to pay the therapists well and treat them as full employees without subjecting them to the insane "productivity" bullshit.

The secret is that they focus exclusively on schools and suckling at the teat of government contracts.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Coolness Averted posted:

yeah, my therapy is telehealth with a licensed and experienced psychologist who has a focus on my specific issues (bad posting, body odor), and it works very well for us; she’s in a different city so we wouldn’t be able to work together at all without the advances in telehealth practices over the past few years

it’s not cheap, though, and I know lots of people who just have such unfairly poor wages that they can’t in turn pay a “reasonable rate” for traditional therapists regardless of the means of delivery

socializing this stuff makes an enormous amount of sense even just from a capitalist economic perspective, because this is a lot of Workers who could be more Economically Productive and doing More Consuming if they had better management of mental health issues…

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

grimace

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Even just making insurance companies pay out properly to therapists in a way that therapists can actually use would be a big help since I know actually fixing our loving system isn't possible for some reason.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Subjunctive posted:

yeah, my therapy is telehealth with a licensed and experienced psychologist who has a focus on my specific issues (bad posting, body odor),

Lol

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Subjunctive posted:

yeah, my therapy is telehealth with a licensed and experienced psychologist who has a focus on my specific issues (bad posting, body odor), and it works very well for us; she’s in a different city so we wouldn’t be able to work together at all without the advances in telehealth practices over the past few years

it’s not cheap, though, and I know lots of people who just have such unfairly poor wages that they can’t in turn pay a “reasonable rate” for traditional therapists regardless of the means of delivery

socializing this stuff makes an enormous amount of sense even just from a capitalist economic perspective, because this is a lot of Workers who could be more Economically Productive and doing More Consuming if they had better management of mental health issues…

Nonono, they might get ideas if they're insufficiently ground down and crushed. Every aspect of the crushing machine must be petty, arbitrary, and obscure, yet hopeless and implacable.

And you might as well monetize it at the same time.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Shame Boy posted:

Even just making insurance companies pay out properly to therapists in a way that therapists can actually use would be a big help since I know actually fixing our loving system isn't possible for some reason.

insurance companies often make psych coverage contingent on seeing patient notes lol

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
On the topic of petty crushing, my company's new CEO has mandated full back to office for all employees starting in March. This was after firing the entire accounts payable department and opening a new office for that in Puerto Rico.

The new CEO does not live in a state where a single branch of my company is located, and will not be relocating

As soon as we get our bonuses from last year at the end of March/start of April I'm dusting off my resume. I'm fully vested in terms of retirement fund this summer, so it's a perfect time for me to bail for a 10 - 25% pay bump.
A colleague did the same about 2 years ago and is already making about 50% more just from 3 hops.
I see this choice in general also completely loving my department, since we have have a bunch of folks in demand or who justified not retiring because they could say work and watch their grandkids after school at the same time.
So either I bail too or I'll be taking on the work of the folks who bail.

Coolness Averted has issued a correction as of 19:13 on Feb 18, 2024

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
The crushing machine: It's like I was watching a criticism of humanoid robot prototypes and how they're entirely stupid:
  • weigh as much as a car
  • tremendously expensive
  • horrifically uncanny
  • poor safety / actively dangerous
This is ideal! This is the dream! It's not for fighting wars it's for beating humans in public, it's perfect in every way. The psychological impact of something that looks like it should act human, but either can't or is specifically programed not to is the best cop.

Just like those dog bots. It's not a friendly pet and can't be, so it's perfect to complement police work. Plus it saves lives! Keeps the boys in blue outta harm's way. The poo poo doesn't work for a combat zone cause you can kick it over. Perfect if it's a cop jr.

And the cost is great so you can grift it good. Damaging it is a felony, hacking it is terrorism -- like trying to steal a police car and swat gear. Perfect. Everyone involved with this gets their beak wet, everyone gets their backs patted.

The more society can be made to resemble this the more ideal it is. So there's money being dumped into this research.

I'm in a medical catch 22 like many people.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Well I'm a middle-class white dude and society's workin' great for me, y'all should try it some time

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Shame Boy posted:

Well I'm a middle-class white dude and society's workin' great for me, y'all should try it some time

sad but true

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

BonHair posted:

Well that's kinda the point.

A recording of Danish police arresting a guy while calling him a "loving perker" (it's an ethnic slur). The police doubled down on insisting they were saying "perle" (pearl), which makes no sense in or out of context.

perkele...

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Car Hater posted:

Some friends of mine actually started and run a small telehealth company that manages to pay the therapists well and treat them as full employees without subjecting them to the insane "productivity" bullshit.

The secret is that they focus exclusively on schools and suckling at the teat of government contracts.
Dude should market the poo poo out of this to chuds since what he's doing is mental health for schools, literally exactly what they say the solution to guns is

About wanting workers happy, what employer wants a guy who realizes his self-worth? They might get crazy ideas like knowing what surplus value means

The Islamic Shock has issued a correction as of 00:43 on Feb 19, 2024

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

i am harry posted:

lol I can't afford therapy but I'd be pissed as hell if I could and I did hear it

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

insurance companies often make psych coverage contingent on seeing patient notes lol

... that might be the worst thing in the thread yet

Milo and POTUS has issued a correction as of 07:21 on Feb 19, 2024

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

https://restofworld.org/2024/content-moderators-jobs-pakistan

quote:

Over a dozen Pakistani professionals who worked in content moderation jobs as a temporary resort due to a lack of employment options told Rest of World they were stuck in a career that was unfulfilling — one that felt like working at a “sweatshop,” because their experience was not transferable. They have degrees in project management, environmental science, engineering, and business administration, and believe that working as content moderators has stunted their careers.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Milo and POTUS posted:

lol I can't afford therapy but I'd be pissed as hell if I could and I did hear it

i can't afford therapy either but there are nonprofit places for that possibly in your local area if you dig, and they're decent.

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

Feeling depressed at my graveyard shift Amazon warehouse job so I text my E-help Freindologist who also works the same shift at the same warehouse and he replies with a video of him pissing in to an empty Dr. Pepper bottle. It's not clear if he sent this on purpose or accidentally hit record but watching the warm frothy piss slowly fill up the bottle made me feel .014% less depressed according to my Workology app and the video is at least 10 seconds long so my paycheck is auto billed 9.99$ for the service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
wow imagine working a job you're overqualified for that doesn't look particularly good on your resume