Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!
Was there a big monster?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

HellOnEarth posted:

Was there a big monster?

humanity

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

HellOnEarth posted:

Was there a big monster?

Wokeness.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Why did Danvers not care about Navarro shooting Clark and then yell at her that he was their only witness? Why did she have the taped confession but not show Danvers? Why did they not even question Clark's recounting of what happened to Annie K?

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Grip it and rip it posted:

1>>>>3>2>Night Country.

Honestly they should've just quit the series with all the accolades the first season got. Going back and rewatching the first season you can see all the dumb stuff that has become a mainstay of the series, but at that point it was fresh and cheeky and new.
ol' nick (the writer-creator) said that each series would have 1 element connecting them: interviewing the true detectives as the framing device with flashbacks as the main storyline. presumably, this trope would probably cultimate like s1: the action/story wrapping up in the interview/present timeline.

the closet we got to this framing device ever being used again was s3 and that was more of a re-re-re-re-linkinpark-flunkmaster flex-remix version of it anyway.

honestly if they just stuck to this trope every season this entire show would have at least had an interesting gimmick to keep it at a baseline entertaining. ugahie iowoo watch the terror s1 i don't know

daft
Oct 16, 2012
its unfortunate but i dont think we are supposed to think too hard about it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Well, one of them died by walking into the ocean a few days later, so probably she won’t remember after that.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
I enjoyed it

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Lampsacus posted:

ol' nick (the writer-creator) said that each series would have 1 element connecting them: interviewing the true detectives as the framing device with flashbacks as the main storyline. presumably, this trope would probably cultimate like s1: the action/story wrapping up in the interview/present timeline.

the closet we got to this framing device ever being used again was s3 and that was more of a re-re-re-re-linkinpark-flunkmaster flex-remix version of it anyway.

honestly if they just stuck to this trope every season this entire show would have at least had an interesting gimmick to keep it at a baseline entertaining. ugahie iowoo watch the terror s1 i don't know

It was a fun device in the first season because when the interviews end and Woody and Rust go off on their way, it’s not at all clear what’s going to happen because the narrative structure you’ve gotten used to has just been blown apart. If you repeat it, that little thrill is gone.

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!

God dammit.

All I want is for one of these loving shows to have a big monster at the end!

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

I am in awe.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Did all the cleaning ladies live in one house or were they anticipating Danvers figuring out the mystery and just sort of hanging out there every night?

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
They all lived in a neighborhood and werent doing much on new years?

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

That was very bad.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Does the one white lady also believe in the ocean goddess?

Also, what bullshit that they all work at the cannery AND have to have a second job cleaning the research station.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Doltos posted:

Did all the cleaning ladies live in one house or were they anticipating Danvers figuring out the mystery and just sort of hanging out there every night?

They had a murderer New Year’s Eve party

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Also not all of them might have been cleaning ladys

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

General Dog posted:

I was a bit confused, but my ultimate assumption was that they had a friend who was janitor at the police station, and that’s who we see taking pictures of the file. But again, it makes no sense that would happen AFTER they discover the tool. Because without foreknowledge of the photos, it’s just a tool.
This immediately makes me think of this likely-old but-I-only-saw-it-this-week joke:

You see, the janitors know what genre they're in.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
An ultimately life-affirming story of two police officers who are terrible at murder investigations but slightly less terrible at covering up murders.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

TheBizzness posted:

Kinda stinks we never got a pay off on why Danvers phone kept going off
"That's just to make the world feel lived in, like the AI posters the characters generated on their own because they're so depressed," is what the extremely fantastic show runner would say.

The more I think about the moral dilemma, the more I hate it. Cancer is the second highest killer on Earth and it's loving torturous. If this were Star Trek, the few to save the many is the moral here. Instead we get a tee-up for headlines like "‘True Detective’ Season 4 Finale Preview: A Nuanced View Of Violence Against Indigenous Women"

Yeah, real nuanced.

th3t00t posted:

You’re bad at watching TV for noticing the fast and loose way that the show treats the cold.
The CG breath on Danvers as she's in the bed was so loving bad.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Feb 19, 2024

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

It was better than House of Usher at least

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The Fall of the House of Usher didn't even have Usher in it.

Complete bullshit.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

DaveKap posted:

"That's just to make the world feel lived in, like the AI posters the characters generated on their own because they're so depressed," is what the extremely fantastic show runner would say.

The more I think about the moral dilemma, the more I hate it. Cancer is the second highest killer on Earth and it's loving torturous. If this were Star Trek, the few to save the many is the moral here. Instead we get a tee-up for headlines like "‘True Detective’ Season 4 Finale Preview: A Nuanced View Of Violence Against Indigenous Women"

Yeah, real nuanced.

The CG breath on Danvers as she's in the bed was so loving bad.

Was cancer the thing the scientists were trying to cure?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
More things ppl noticed:

I guess the vet was wrong and the dudes really did just die by freezing to death.

And there were many things that were not explained and/or did not make sense. For instance, the animosity between Danvers and Evangeline in the beginning. It seems they both wanted Wheeler dead and agreed to cover it up together, so why all the animosity. Also, Annie's death did not match the cave video at all. We were to believe in the video when the camera drops and she starts screaming is when she dies, but that is not at all what the flashback showed. So what happened in the tunnel on the video? This was such a disappointment.

Danvers, summoning superhero strength, manages to rip a several-foot-long metal handle off of an industrial-grade freezer and uses it to shatter the glass, as one does

Tsallal Pressured Silver Sky to … ramp up the pollution further, pretty please, even though it was for sure a bummer about all those stillbirths and probably cancers that ravaged the local community as a result. :(

I didn’t quite get how the roads were clear enough for him to make that drive, but the detectives were stranded almost to death at Tsalal? Not my business, I guess.)

a confession video from Clark. (When was this recorded? Where was all the blood on his shirt?)

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I thought the last 20 minutes or so were about as good as the show got, if you kind of just ignored the preceding 40 minutes of dumb poo poo, and also the previous 5 episodes of dumb poo poo. Also ignore the dumbness of the cleaning crew immediately solving the crime independently because the soap went down the hatch and they saw a tool of a particular shape

God drat that was a bad television show

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Despera posted:

Was cancer the thing the scientists were trying to cure?
Yes, basically every biological disorder would be cured by the dna of the micro-organism they were digging up.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
The really striking thing about this season is that you can ignore heaps and heaps of dumb poo poo as just Part Of The Show and there will still be plenty of dumb/hanging/incongruent details you need to wade through before you can fully accept whats playing out on the terms the show is asking you to. Truly cannot remember something in recent memory that was this poorly written with this strong a production/cast pedigree

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

DaveKap posted:

Yes, basically every biological disorder would be cured by the dna of the micro-organism they were digging up.

I mean on one hand you got a bunch of white, flabby, no life, god complex, rage prone "scientist" losers and the other hand a women with a righteous cause so I can guess why parts of the season didnt go over well here.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

DaveKap posted:

Instead we get a tee-up for headlines like "‘True Detective’ Season 4 Finale Preview: A Nuanced View Of Violence Against Indigenous Women"

Yeah, real nuanced.

I’m not the biggest Taylor Sheridan fan, but Wind River compares extremely favorably put up against this.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

DaveKap posted:

Curing one disease is a miracle, curing all disease is a statistic.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
[evil scientist guy reveals that the big science lab is secretly extremely pro-pollution because it somehow makes their science easier] Anyone who doesn't like this poo poo probably just agrees with the science guys!

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Hey remember this?

The show didn't!

Y'know I'm not personally mad that they didn't have a suicide hotline message in any of these episodes where a main character's sister, and then the main character herself, both commit suicide but it sure seems kinda hosed up that they shrugged at their mental illness as just being spooky and ended the show. Apparently I was wrong about this! Sorry!

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Feb 19, 2024

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

What were the ghosts pointing at all the time? The remote control?? lmao

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

DaveKap posted:

Hey remember this?

The show didn't!

Y'know I'm not personally mad that they didn't have a suicide hotline message in any of these episodes where a main character's sister, and then the main character herself, both commit suicide but it sure seems kinda hosed up that they shrugged at their mental illness as just being spooky and ended the show.

They had suicide hotline mmessages on every episode where someone walked into the ice.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Darko posted:

They had suicide hotline mmessages on every episode where someone walked into the ice.
Wait, really?! That got cut from what I watched. That's wild. Excuse me, then!

Anyway I was trying to find this for y'all who forgot.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

DaveKap posted:

Wait, really?! That got cut from what I watched. That's wild. Excuse me, then!

Anyway I was trying to find this for y'all who forgot.

Danvers: “May I see it?”
Clark: “No.”
Show: *Aurora Borealis intensifies*

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

General Dog posted:

Where did the tongue come from, was it some goddamn ghost?

~Some things can never be known~

This was dogshit. That loving Twist and Shout cover shouldn't have gotten past being a single intrusive thought.

Rust was right to leave this place behind.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Oh No, The Haters Were Right.

I think 'the reveal' on paper is an interesting story to tell, but all the supernatural red herrings and timewasting vs actually teasing THAT mystery was...very bad.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

I really thought Star Trek Discovery would be the only thing I hate watch in 2024 but this finale really took the cake. I can't stop thinking of random things.

So are we to assume that Danvers killed her son by drunk driving or that it was another drunk driver who caused it?
What was the point of Navarro seeing her old army buddy missing half a face?
What was the point of the polar bear? Not the stuffed animal, the real life one.
Why was this guy dodging bullets in the Matrix?

Wait, why was that one dude's camper full of strange poo poo?
Why did he have a bunch of weird rear end writing on his own notes?
What's with the "WE ARE ALL DEAD" writing on the whiteboard? Did the ladies leave that? Why would they do that if they were leaving their lives up to mother nature and not actually directly trying to kill them?

And yeah, it does super duper bother me that the entrance to the ice caves had to have been incredibly close to Tsalal Station. How wouldn't they piece that poo poo together?

I'm starting to think that when a show is complete, nobody actually watches it.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Feb 19, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I do have to admire the gumption of this show for including a polar bear and a hatch as part of its tale of dumb bullshit that largely doesn't get resolved or doesn't really add up