Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season of Doctor Who should get a Blu-ray set next?
This poll is closed.
One of the black-and-white seasons 16 29.63%
Season 7 7 12.96%
Season 11 1 1.85%
Season 13 0 0%
Season 15 2 3.70%
The Key to Time 21 38.89%
Season 21 0 0%
Season 25 7 12.96%
Total: 54 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

Davros1 posted:

Living through 2 World Wars will do that to you

And specifically, having a nervous breakdown like he did during his Army service in WW2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

If it makes you feel better, David Tennant is now only 3 years younger than William Hartnell was when he first played the Doctor :stare:

Haha. Cool, sounds great.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Jerusalem posted:

Feels odd to call somebody in their mid-30s young, but yeah holy poo poo he looks like a little babby wearing a leather jacket, it's kinda amazing.

That was also before he raised five kids, which I'm pretty sure would take a toll on anyone.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
And post his 10 run has worked more than any other Doctor since.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

The_Doctor posted:

And post his 10 run has worked more than any other Doctor since.

I believe he recently talked about when he came to the States to try and make it over here, and how he fell for the typical Hollywood bigshot approach: everyone butters you up, tells you they can't wait to work with you, they got projects lined up specifically for you, and you get to feeling like everyone's on your side and the enthusiasm is infectious...and then you never hear from them again. :v:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
He’s not done badly though? He’s not stopped working since 2009, be it stage or screen (both big and small*).

*or in the case of Staged, very small.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

The_Doctor posted:

He’s not done badly though? He’s not stopped working since 2009, be it stage or screen (both big and small*).

*or in the case of Staged, very small.

Oh no, he's still a major star in the UK, he was just amused at how even a guy like himself--who'd been kicking around for a fair bit in the UK acting world--could still get taken in by the Hollywood star machine.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I just realized the double meaning for the episode title of A Holiday For the Doctor (episode one of the Gunfighters). :doh:

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

The destruction of Gallifrey gets even sillier if you consider the novels canon, given they had eight backup copies of the planet ready to go. Which were also destroyed.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Its like in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, where the Vogons were tasked with destroying the earth, so they did, in every alternate universe, timeline, and dimension. Very thorough.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Wolfechu posted:

The destruction of Gallifrey gets even sillier if you consider the novels canon, given they had eight backup copies of the planet ready to go. Which were also destroyed.

Make the Infinity Doctors canon, it’s 14’s long retirement on Gallifrey before he becomes 15.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

I randomly came across this today which was strangely engrossing viewing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QOVgeSWliE

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Watched that purely to see Jon Pertwee's first grass-touching scene :lol:

Edit: "You could NOT keep this Doctor from the grass."

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Why does it need to be 40 minutes long?! :psyduck:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I skipped the intro and outro but even so, it's divided up into 15 Doctors, so it's basically 3 minutes each Doctor.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Still working my way through the 5th Doctor episodes. Just finished the Mawdryn Undead which is pretty good. Now I'm on Terminus.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Wolfechu posted:

“That isn’t a moon, it’s a gigantic moon-sized pocket-watch!”

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

I randomly came across this today which was strangely engrossing viewing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QOVgeSWliE

I dispute the 15th Doctor's score. Just because the shooting location had grass doesn't mean the fictional church as it appeared on screen has grass. The addition of lamp posts implies pavement below the snow; you don't get lamp posts just in the middle of grass unless you're on your way into Narnia. Gatwa's Doctor has yet to touch grass even if Gatwa himself has.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Interestingly, it's never made clear if all Gallifreyians can regenerate, or if its something only people with the rank of Time Lord can do, or even if Time Lord is a title (for those who finished at the academy), or a race.

The Fifth Doctor just blowing away a dalek mutant with a normal handgun will never not be funny. Especially because Davsion plays it as the Doctor being extremely stressed and freaked out.

Apparently Kevin McNally got arrested at the Gallifrey One convention - I guess that means the rumoured Professor Jericho audio boxset at Big Finish is going to be delayed or quietly scrapped. In terms of Chibnall era audios, we're still waiting for the Dhawan Master series to be launched, apparently the BBC has asked for them to hold off for now.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
In another example of forgettable characters, I had to search Wikipedia to find out who Professor Jericho was.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

OldMemes posted:

Apparently Kevin McNally got arrested at the Gallifrey One convention - I guess that means the rumoured Professor Jericho audio boxset at Big Finish is going to be delayed or quietly scrapped.

They don't have the money to scrap things. When the Torchwood line had to withdraw the David Tennant play (and delay recording on another four) the deficit was so severe that James Goss had to write about ten plays in a row in order to ameliorate costs.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

OldMemes posted:

Apparently Kevin McNally got arrested at the Gallifrey One convention

That's a hell of a line to drop without any further context! What did he do?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Arrested on suspicion of domestic violence.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Appeared on Chibnal who, a capital crime.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Khanstant posted:

Ugh, that's awful.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Khanstant posted:

Oh jesus, yeah, they might end up dumping whatever they recorded.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Was Jericho even relevant enough to make more stories of?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

Paranormal investigator is a really easy concept to hang stories onto. But I don't think anyone was champing at the bit to get more stories about him.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

The_Doctor posted:

No but I'd have said the same about most of the spinoffs and it's never stopped them before.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I’d much rather have more adventures of Dougray Scott and Jessica Raine.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

The_Doctor posted:

I liked his character in the episode and (as people said) the concept works as well as many spin-offs that did get made.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Open Source Idiom posted:

They don't have the money to scrap things. When the Torchwood line had to withdraw the David Tennant play (and delay recording on another four) the deficit was so severe that James Goss had to write about ten plays in a row in order to ameliorate costs.

What David Tennant play? I missed this I think.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

What David Tennant play? I missed this I think.

I assume that'd be Absent Friends, the audio play that Big Finish cancelled after Barrowman was belatedly cancelled (due to fandom finally realising that boasting about having your cock out all the time is not an appealing and funny thing but weird nonsense). It was a Torchwood audio drama which involved the Tenth Doctor, so obviously the latter point added additional interesr so I imagine they got a healthy number of preorders.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.

Khanstant posted:

gently caress, awful. Have always enjoyed him as a character actor but I guess that's over now.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Warthur posted:

I assume that'd be Absent Friends, the audio play that Big Finish cancelled after Barrowman was belatedly cancelled (due to fandom finally realising that boasting about having your cock out all the time is not an appealing and funny thing but weird nonsense). It was a Torchwood audio drama which involved the Tenth Doctor, so obviously the latter point added additional interesr so I imagine they got a healthy number of preorders.

Yeah this. It would have been pretty expensive as well, for that range, given that it had three name leads on a single disk and was gonna use the Doctor Who license.

I just remembered that there was another anniversary release, hinted at but then never released, which would have featured all five of the first season regulars. That also disappeared about Barrowman was retired from the range.

But yeah, the series ate poo poo and had a rough year in order to get out of the mess that Barrowman left them in.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

The_Doctor posted:

Dan spent more time with him than he did with the Doctor. Both in-universe and on the screen, I'm pretty sure

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

By the way, has there been any note of any differences between what was on Disney+ and what aired on the Beeb?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Coward posted:

By the way, has there been any note of any differences between what was on Disney+ and what aired on the Beeb?

None at all. They are identical.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The Two Masters

https://twitter.com/damnfinelad/status/1758920201553535436?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

A pair of actors with incredibly long lists of credits, though one definitely demonstrating better quality control than the other