Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I think the answer to virtually every question is "ghosts". And that the ghosts vaguely or not so vaguely represent trauma.

People got way too up in arms by the tiny season 1 references that I didn't even notice, and I get the impression they were a studio decision, given this wasn't even conceived as a True Detective story - but even I WINCED at 'time is a flat circle'. Nooooooo. Oooof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Good TV is when everyone is at their breaking point all the time in a small town haunted by metaphors

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

I didn't not like it but I feel like it would have been significantly better with 8-10 episodes that added some background, zero True Detective call backs, called a different thing, and a more appropriate soundtrack. I still like it better than season 2.

The_Rob posted:

Calling it true detective was the only way they’d get people to watch it.

If I saw a trailer for a spooky HBO show with Jodie Foster set in a town in the middle of nowhere Alaska, I'd give it a shot.

General Dog posted:

Could we get a bit more detail on the scientists’ purported world-saving research? I feel like I wasn’t given enough information to perform the moral calculus on how many stillbirths it would actually be worth.

This. There needed to be more weight and screentime on this for it to be that big of a deal that scientists would go all murdery.

my bony fealty posted:

the scene of the woman picking up the star shaped tool thing with the look of horror on her face lmfao

A better way to have done this was to have the cleaning lady find something that famously belonged to Annie down in the secret science pit with blood on it. Some kind of personal clothing item she always wore or something.

TheBizzness posted:

Kinda stinks we never got a pay off on why Danvers phone kept going off or the Russian bride thing even if they weren’t connected.

I would have liked the Russian bride to show up at the end like "Hey I missed my flight and then I got stranded in Anchorage because of the blizzard, but I finally made it." Then everyone laughs and high fives.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
So they turned off all the lights at the station… Then turned them back on before they left… no detective or visitor noticed the 20 extra sets of footprints near the entire path to the exit?

I’m surprised not a single one of the guys tried to go for the guns, but then they will be shot and we wouldn’t have a bizarre evidenceless crime.

Too many hours to fill.

Edit: We need a microorganism. It’s only a few cells but we need to inject it into every human being. The best way to get at it? POLLUTION!

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Feb 19, 2024

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I would be shocked if the ending we got is the ending that was written when shooting began. The whole show is just structurally bizarre in terms of dead ends and even stuff like where episodes end.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I see a LOT of people say more episodes would've helped when a show is bad, and it mystifies me. More Game Of Thrones season 8 would just be More Bad!

Especially when you have a show that was basically spinning its wheels for a lot of the time. If anything, this should've been a movie, and even then I'm probably leaning that way because you could cut out all the bullshit.

Even Kid Cop killing his dad feels like an insane thing to include in retrospect.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
If Putin watched this he'll nod in agreement that sending someone out naked into an Arctic blizzard at gunpoint is not really murder.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
My take on this season has generally been that it's mediocre, just not very good. This last episode was terrible from beginning to end. I said, "gently caress off" to my screen several times and yes, my monitor is on.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Lol that generic whispery horror movie ghosts were responsible for both solving and introducing the case.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Man Qaavik just kinda got hosed, huh? Got his toothbrush back then the woman he loved decided to nope out of existence. She didn't even tell him her real name... though maybe her ghost will do it. Sucks to be him but maybe...

Mordja posted:

Remember how the show opened with spooky, suicidal CGI caribou? Guess ghosts just really hate ungulates
I was JUST about to edit this post asking what that was about.

God now I'm thinking about how much Navarro was pissed off through the whole show that they cut out Annie's tongue and in the end nobody cut out her tongue they just kinda guessed that Hank did it, maybe, possibly?

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Feb 19, 2024

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Remember how the show opened with spooky, suicidal CGI caribou? Guess ghosts just really hate ungulates

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Why did Clarke smack Navarro with a fire extinguisher? Where was he dragging her? Seems like an oddly extreme move when you supposedly haven't committed any actual crimes.

I fear the answer, like a lot of the stuff with that character, is just "because he was craaaaazy".

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

VagueRant posted:

Why did Clarke smack Navarro with a fire extinguisher? Where was he dragging her? Seems like an oddly extreme move when you supposedly haven't committed any actual crimes.

I fear the answer, like a lot of the stuff with that character, is just "because he was craaaaazy".
For the same reason that guy said "You're in the night country now!"
Drugs?

Edit: OK I really have to stop posting so I'll end with this. I'm disappointed that the "Danvers in water" we've seen all season in the intro was an actual scene from the show. I was hoping that would be the one purely symbolic bit of the intro (as everything else is a reference to something in the season) but nope, it's just another scene from the show. I still love the opening, though. Best cinematography I've seen this year, but there's plenty of year left.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Feb 19, 2024

CHaKKaWaKka
Aug 6, 2001

I've chosen my next victim. Cry tears of joy it's not you!

Spoiler for s4 I guess: I feel like such a loving idiot for watching this show every week and discussing theories with my pal and trying to figure out what was going on. gently caress me. I recommended this to people. They'll kill me.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Legit surprised Alaska's super coastguard didn't find and identify Hank and Germanguy's bodies a couple hours after they were sunk.

Also, I'm sorry, but the show did a piss poor job at establishing that Rose was tight enough homies with Navarro that she'd dispose some corpses for the latter's acquaintance. It's a little different than dumping some ashes.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

So four seasons down now, and they still haven’t shown us who the True Detective is?

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Mordja posted:

Legit surprised Alaska's super coastguard didn't find and identify Hank and Germanguy's bodies a couple hours after they were sunk.

Also, I'm sorry, but the show did a piss poor job at establishing that Rose was tight enough homies with Navarro that she'd dispose some corpses for the latter's acquaintance. It's a little different than dumping some ashes.

Yeah, was it established she’d disposed of other bodies? If so I completely missed that.

Mordja posted:

Did they explain this too? Is it ‘this place just makes things want to die’? I feel like my brain died watching this.

CHaKKaWaKka
Aug 6, 2001

I've chosen my next victim. Cry tears of joy it's not you!

Columbo would singlehandedly outdetect every single detective of all four seasons if they worked together and had a budget of $1,000,000,000 and it wouldn't even be close.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
How did that horde of armed ladies coming through the front door avoid every single security camera? Or where there just none in this super important research station?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

MrMojok posted:

So four seasons down now, and they still haven’t shown us who the True Detective is?

It was Prior Jr. He used logical deduction to find out who committed a crime, as opposed to the rest of detectives, who went to the right location and were told.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
I have a lot of thoughts, but not the energy to type up how bad that was, so maybe I'll put the effort in later.

But one thing I do want to say, because I see multiple people posting it, is that it's 2024 and blood quantum is still genocidal. So yes, the "white" women amongst the killers were still indigenous women and were part of the indigenous community. If you have issues figuring this out then see Figure 1: Elizabeth Warren, to see how using genetics to claim indigenous identity is not great anymore.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Mordja posted:

How did that horde of armed ladies coming through the front door avoid every single security camera? Or where there just none in this super important research station?
To be fair, they cut the power, and could've messed with any footage.

Poopbutt
Aug 15, 2022
So I noped out of this show in the second or third episode and was planning to binge the rest once it all released, but given the threads reaction there doesn’t seem to be a need for that. Luckily I used the couple of hours I saved to think of zingers about this seasons quality.

True Detective? More like Bad Detective

TwoDayLife
Jan 26, 2006

On a two-day vacation
*poot*

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
A single small town mine creating vaguely defined pollution to, uh, soften the permafrost was extremely :lol:

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
So I guess I'm going to assume that the microbe was infecting everyone and making them hallucinate poo poo, since they didn't remotely explain what was causing any of the "spooky poo poo". Unless their "explanation" was Danvers finding the spot where the tongue was found and there was a film of something growing there that appeared to move for a single frame.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
There will never be any concrete supernatural stuff. We've been through 3 previous seasons of this. There is plenty of poo poo wrong with this season, but the fact that people are still waiting for the holy Cthulhu to rise from the waters of the bayou is not one of them.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Anonymous Zebra posted:

There will never be any concrete supernatural stuff. We've been through 3 previous seasons of this. There is plenty of poo poo wrong with this season, but the fact that people are still waiting for the holy Cthulhu to rise from the waters of the bayou is not one of them.
You only say this because you're not in Night Country.

Useful Distraction
Jan 11, 2006
not a pyramid scheme
Yeah I expected the scientists to be paid off to cover up pollution, them having a magical cure to all diseases that requires pollution to reach just makes them sound insane. Maybe that's the Night Country infecting their minds.

Nit-picky complaint: why didn't Danvers shoot the glass instead of breaking off a metal handle and slowly smashing at the door while the suspect was trying to flee.

Also, why does Cary Joji Fukunaga still get an executive producer credit, I thought he got drummed out of the industry for being a sex pest. Or is that something he'd be contractually entitled to, like the Rick and Morty guy?

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Useful Distraction posted:

Also, why does Cary Joji Fukunaga still get an executive producer credit, I thought he got drummed out of the industry for being a sex pest. Or is that something he'd be contractually entitled to, like the Rick and Morty guy?

Those are immutable guild rules, the maker of a pilot for a series is forever part of it. Like the Night Country.

And Fukunaga is far from drummed out, he directed half of Masters Of The Air.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
What was that playing during the seal team six assault on the science base? Was that supposed to be part of the sound track, or were the cleaning ladies making those noises in the actual scene? Was that a song?

Useful Distraction
Jan 11, 2006
not a pyramid scheme

counterfeitsaint posted:

What was that playing during the seal team six assault on the science base? Was that supposed to be part of the sound track, or were the cleaning ladies making those noises in the actual scene? Was that a song?

As per the captions, it's this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_N-PTAL24mg

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

counterfeitsaint posted:

Like every other uninspired music choice, probably yeah. Honestly surprised they didn't have a montage scene set to Johnny Cash's Hurt at some point with how on-the-nose the choices were. And again, gently caress whoever thought shelling out $$$ for Twist and Shout was worthwhile - not just the original but to commission a moody slow version of it.

I think I ended up liking a lot of the broad strokes better than the show itself. People seeing ghosts because their senses are hosed living a tiny, perpetually night painful community works well enough. People "seeing" their dead loved ones as a sort of mirage that urges them to follow their gut instinct is all well and good. Dunno about a ghost pointing out the specific location of five dead dudes in an otherwise barren tundra tho. Or a guy spider-sensing that an angry mob of women are approaching.

There were enough good bits that it just ends up being frustrating that this wasn't good. Corpsicle is neat. Haunted Alaska is good. Events that led to both crimes were also fine. But woof, weird rear end execution.

Would probably be good for them to share with the world that the scientists were onto something and that they should keep drilling, albeit slower and with less pollution.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Danvers was right, Twist and Shout is loving atrocious.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
LOL, you guys spent several weeks complaining that there should have been songs created by indigenous people and now you're complaining about the single indigenous song they actually managed to include?

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

That hasn't been my complaint, which is just that unlike a lot of shows the choices here are very on-the-nose in a way that undercuts the scenes as they happen. That's not something I had picked up on, but yeah, they probably should have used more indigenous music if that really was the only case of it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

how much are HBO paying these loving morons

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Okay, in this scene, we want to feature the bleak expanse of the artic tundra, which is a metaphor for the bleakness in the hearts of the inhabitants of this remote community locked in eternal night. And then over that we'll put a lo-fi remix cover of the Three's Company theme song.

*endless snows blow into the indistinct horizon* .... come... and knock... on our..... dooooooorrrrrrr......

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Quantum of Phallus posted:

how much are HBO paying these loving morons

Sepinwall is about established as a TV critic can be, it’s a stupid take, but I reckon he came by it honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
In retrospect, the Tsalal station bros were remarkably cool about their murder partner slowly breaking down about killing his girlfriend and vanishing for long stretches of time to build an evidence dump.