Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
https://x.com/JeffPassan/status/1759593387395858445?s=20

:whatfor:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Are there other examples of top 10 players in the history of a sport being content to just wallow in the mediocrity around them and generally operate as under the radar as possible? Trout could have pulled in Ohtani money in free agency and picked any team in the league to get it.

Like could you imagine Kobe just chilling on the Pelicans or whatever for his entire career?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Trout is such a mark

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

mcmagic posted:

I'm calling bullshit on this. Unless you count all the players in camp and not just the 26 man roster? I guess if you have 80 players and they each eat 4 eggs a day that is 360?

No, no it is not 360

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

maffew buildings posted:

No, no it is not 360

look his name is mcmagic not mathmagic

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

It's an average and it only takes one or two people to skew the whole thing

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Intruder posted:

It's an average and it only takes one or two people to skew the whole thing

In this instance I think it's a weighted average :dadjoke:

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

mcmagic posted:

I'm calling bullshit on this. Unless you count all the players in camp and not just the 26 man roster? I guess if you have 80 players and they each eat 4 eggs a day that is 360?

It's definitely counting everyone in camp including coaches/trainers etc

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/Feinsand/status/1759601778679566510

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Woodruff back to the Brewers on 2 year deal

Bregor
May 31, 2013

R.D. Mangles posted:

Burnes back to the Brewers on 2 year deal

Someone should tell the Orioles!

I know you mean Woodruff

e:f,b

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

It was up for 30 seconds before I edited, you son of a gun!!!!!!!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/SamBlum3/status/1759601273790402688

lol why does he keep trying to make fans hate him. you can think this without saying it!!!

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Well Played Mauer posted:

Are there other examples of top 10 players in the history of a sport being content to just wallow in the mediocrity around them and generally operate as under the radar as possible? Trout could have pulled in Ohtani money in free agency and picked any team in the league to get it.

Like could you imagine Kobe just chilling on the Pelicans or whatever for his entire career?

Connor McDavid is doing this right now

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

someone get Mike Trout into therapy, this is sad

You don’t owe Arte anything, no one will respect you more for staying on the Angels, and “the hard way” is never happening Mike.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Criminal Minded posted:

The Oilers have been pretty good though, they've been in the post season the past 3 years including making the conference finals.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Votto maybe?

Although the Reds have been better during his career than the Angels during Trout's

e: not top 10 in the history of the sport, obviously

maybe Teddy Ballgame :v:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Williams got to play in a World Series (that went 7 games) and also never had the option to leave in free agency.

Mike Trout has kidnapped himself at this point. Not only could he have left years ago, but he could absolutely demand a trade at this point and get out.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Popete posted:

The Oilers have been pretty good though, they've been in the post season the past 3 years including making the conference finals.

Yeah it's definitely not the same level of dire but it's more to say that McDavid could've gone anywhere and formed his own superteam and he stuck in...Edmonton

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Well Played Mauer posted:

If we're including players outside the top ten you could add Joe Mauer to the list

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

bawfuls posted:

You don’t owe Arte anything, no one will respect you more for staying on the Angels, and “the hard way” is never happening Mike.

Maybe he doesn't want to move and he likes living in Southern CA?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

mcmagic posted:

let me tell you about some little known team called the Dodgers

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Criminal Minded posted:

In loving Edmonton, no less. At least the L.A. area is a nice place to live if you're a rich celebrity.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
Lol. The Cubs sent out a video for their new ad campaign with the hashtag #YouHaveToCIt and got destroyed in the comments to the point they changed it 30 minutes later.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
For anyone like me who couldn't figure out what it was supposed to be it's been changed too #YouHaveToSeeIt.

#thatscub

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

DeepDickPizza posted:

Lol. The Cubs sent out a video for their new ad campaign with the hashtag #YouHaveToCIt and got destroyed in the comments to the point they changed it 30 minutes later.

What the gently caress was that even supposed to mean?

e: lol

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The money quote there is Trout calling a trade "the easy way out"

He feels some sense of obligation to stay, as if people will respect him less if he leaves and especially if he leaves to an already good team. Maybe he thinks he personally wouldn't enjoy a World Series run if he did it elsewhere.

The man has been gaslit by the worst impulses of sports media.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Maybe he watched everyone poo poo on Lebron and took it to heart

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

mcmagic posted:

Then why is he building a golf course back east

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Criminal Minded posted:

Yeah it's definitely not the same level of dire but it's more to say that McDavid could've gone anywhere and formed his own superteam and he stuck in...Edmonton

Ahh yes the land of super teams: The NHL

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

mcmagic posted:

https://twitter.com/SamBlum3/status/1759601273790402688

lol why does he keep trying to make fans hate him. you can think this without saying it!!!

gently caress YOU TONY

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

it's the wrong phrase but I would certainly think McDavid given his rep among other players would be able to leverage that into a better situation than Edmonton is all.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

THERE IS ONLY ONE SUPER TEAM IN THE NHL AND THAT IS THE TRONNA MAPLE LEAVES! LET'S GO! (thumbs up)

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

bawfuls posted:

Angels fans 100% will.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

bawfuls posted:

It's funny that people used to say that the Yankees were using other teams as their farm team in the 90s when the loving dodgers and their fans are actually doing this now.

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."
could you imagine if trout and ohtani were on the same team? so many wins

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
very happy to see mega deal getter anthony 'faith first' rendon, a man who has his priorities straight (hates baseball), is out there getting that bag and taking up a roser spot someone who loves the game could be using. guess he's gotta collect every dollar on that deal for his four kids, though.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Rendon is a worker and like all workers deserves the right to coast on as little effort as possible to still collect a paycheck :cheers:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Traxis posted:

Rendon is a worker and like all workers deserves the right to coast on as little effort as possible to still collect a paycheck :cheers:

It's more that he's so tone deaf that he would say that lol. It's antagonizing fans for literally no reason when they already hate him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Rendon should just do his dance and be quiet. No one's paying to hear about his perfectly reasonable perspective.