Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

What is the deal with people trying to time travel through history to say, "Leopold II was just trying to find a fair way to count rubber."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Shageletic posted:

What is the deal with people trying to time travel through history to say, "Leopold II was just trying to find a fair way to count rubber."

You gotta hand it to him

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

Shageletic posted:

Leopold won't eat my face.

Richter Scabies
Dec 30, 2012

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

You gotta hand it to him

Holy poo poo

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
was this "sneakercon" thing a real thing or another conservative thing?
because it would be hilarious if maga takes over sneakercon too. make trump the head of that and be surprised when all the money disappears next year

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

You gotta hand it to him

Dexter, or sinister?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

You gotta hand it to him

This was a rough chuckle.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

InsertPotPun posted:

because it would be hilarious if maga takes over sneakercon too. make trump the head of that and be surprised when all the money disappears next year

Sneakerheads are real and awful

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

You gotta hand it to him

Lol jesus christ

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

MrQwerty posted:

Sneakerheads are real and awful

Lol jesus christ

Sneakerheads are basically car nuts a few rungs further down on the income level.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

You gotta hand it to him
I had to read the Wiki to get this.

God drat!

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

mannerup posted:

doing a credit check to see if PayPal Credit will help me finance $9,000.00 for shoes at $375/month for 24 months

Just a little bitch with his dumbass kicks
He better run, better run, outrun his debt

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

InsertPotPun posted:

My Hitler-branded “Swas-neakers” are going to make me rich!

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Anders posted:

Snype edit:

LMAO

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

You gotta hand it to him

they call it the stranger

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

This comparison is horribly offensive!

At least Skeksis have a good half

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
I have far more respect for Skeksis but I imagine they sound the same

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

You gotta hand it to him

you do not, under any circumstances,

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Shageletic posted:

I wouldn't have personally pressured the Supreme Court to issue the Dred Scott decision and have my cabinet siphon federal weapons to start the Civil War, but that's just me.
Taney wasn't exactly going "oh I was gonna rule for Dred Scott but for my good friend Buchanan who convinced me otherwise!" This matter was already decided even before Buchanan's inauguration, and Taney was aching to "settle" slavery, which blew up in his face. We're ascribing way too much to Buchanan who obviously had his finger on the scale, but the scale was already broken by the time he got there.

Don't get me wrong, Buchanan was a terrible president. But he's not the single cause of the ACW or a person who could have stood athwart history and yelled stop, because that gives a single person too much responsibility for forces that have been mustering since the first African slaves landed on American shores.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

kw0134 posted:

One of the most clarifying things I've heard was that they want to be movie protagonists where a revolution shows up behind them, all their perceived enemies fall at their feet in bloodless fashion, the actual fight is a tasteful montage of sanitized quick cuts, and then the scene fades to the aftermath where they're given medals and everyone goes home. Credits roll. They want their 15 minutes of fame without doing a single drat thing.

It's the same core every time. It's not only about ego, it's about psychopath lazy GIVE ME MORE ego. It's about thinking you're amazing and better than everyone else and you don't have to leave your basement or even roll out of bed. At least movie protagonists have to go through some hardship to reap the rewards.

The worst thing that these people could ever experience would be if they were given exactly what they wanted, because it would either end up 1) Their desire to jack off vs peoples' desire to actually exist, or 2) The realization that if all you have is desired victimization, then without victims, the teeth turn inward.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

InsertPotPun posted:

I asked a similar question earlier in the thread. I'm the last dude in the world to scorn someone's weird, niche nerd hobby- like if you paint figurines or learn to code COBOL be my guest.

But if I had a buddy that went to a Sneaker convention it would be my solemn duty to gingerly inquire if they realize life is a finite construct and if perhaps they can find something more constructive to do with their time.

Fucking Moron
Jan 9, 2009

I always figured Nixon was a bottom.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

From Russia With Love, indeed!

Scags McDouglas posted:

I asked a similar question earlier in the thread. I'm the last dude in the world to scorn someone's weird, niche nerd hobby- like if you paint figurines or learn to code COBOL be my guest.

But if I had a buddy that went to a Sneaker convention it would be my solemn duty to gingerly inquire if they realize life is a finite construct and if perhaps they can find something more constructive to do with their time.

It always just seemed like Funko Pops for graphic designers who like The Beastie Boys to me, but maybe the demographics have changed a lot.

Disco Pope fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Feb 19, 2024

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

tek79 posted:

And it always goes to show how they don't actually believe anything they say they do. I've rallied with a group in-person at my city hall for better bicycle safety laws. I've known people take to the streets for weed legalization and basic human rights for LGBTQ+ people. This tough guy says a deep state shadow government has taken over the country and is wrongfully persecuting their Presidential candidate ahead of an election he says might destroy the country, and he isn't doing poo poo about it because even he somehow knows it's all nonsense.

Seriously, if you honest to god think the election was rigged and the presidency stolen, what the hell are you doing participating in another election? It's time to actually have an insurrection! But they didn't... right? They say they weren't really trying to be insurgents, because they thought the election was stolen, oh hang on a sec...

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

You gotta hand it to him

God drat that's a dark lol

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

this sounds like the most owned man on the planet rn.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

kw0134 posted:

Taney wasn't exactly going "oh I was gonna rule for Dred Scott but for my good friend Buchanan who convinced me otherwise!" This matter was already decided even before Buchanan's inauguration, and Taney was aching to "settle" slavery, which blew up in his face. We're ascribing way too much to Buchanan who obviously had his finger on the scale, but the scale was already broken by the time he got there.

Don't get me wrong, Buchanan was a terrible president. But he's not the single cause of the ACW or a person who could have stood athwart history and yelled stop, because that gives a single person too much responsibility for forces that have been mustering since the first African slaves landed on American shores.

quote:

Buchanan started working to influence the outcome of the Dred Scott decision in early February 1857, writes Jean H. Baker in her biography of the fifteenth American president. He wrote to Justice John Catron, his friend and a Supreme Court judge from Tennessee, asking about the status of the case. It was the beginning of a larger plan, she writes:

Following Catron’s advice, a few weeks before his inauguration the president-elect wrote to Justice Grier, urging a comprehensive judgment that moved beyond the particulars of Dred Scott’s individual status into that of all black Americans—slave and free, North and South. If a decision was reached, he wanted to use it as a turning point for a triumphant program of national harmony.

With pressure from Buchanan, Grier, Catron and four other justices threw their support behind a decision that did what he had wanted, and created a broader policy legitimizing slavery while nullifying the Missouri Compromise which had prohibited slavery in some U.S. territories.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smar...f%20the%20case.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

OPAONI posted:

Sneakerheads are basically car nuts a few rungs further down on the income level.

Sneakersheads are way stupider. If you do the proper maintenance work, a car can last a long time and still look good (assuming its not a piece of junk). These ultra expensive sneakers they are dropping money on will rot away in a couple years if unworn, and still won't last that long if worn.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

...what difference to the election does it make if he was prosecuted three years ago, besides that it arguably would've been more effective at keeping him from winning?

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Yeah, that doesn't really change anything. He made a 6-3 decision a 7-2 decision, Taney and the pro-Southern majority on the bench weren't going to do anything except make their grand statement. Like the pigs were always going to stir in the poo poo, Buchanan got into the sty and covered himself in it for no material change in the outcome.

Edit: if Fremont got elected in 1856, Taney wouldn't suddenly have decided to not overturn the Missouri Compromise.

kw0134 fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Feb 19, 2024

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

It is unbelievable to me that he still tries to throw out the first sentence of this post as a defense. Financial statements have to be correct. Understating is still fraud. Like...oh my god he admit it

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Garland has stated the trials are in the hands of the judiciary now and the election is irrelevant to the courts.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Modern sneakers disintegrating themselves in just a few years is may favorite sneakerheads fact.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

I relish how hosed he is, tbh.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

I'm old enough to remember Trump celebrating Comey deciding to open a butter emails investigation 10 days before the 2016 election.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

But the Comey report, that was 100% legit

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Communism used as some buzz word always makes me laugh

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Sneakersheads are way stupider. If you do the proper maintenance work, a car can last a long time and still look good (assuming its not a piece of junk). These ultra expensive sneakers they are dropping money on will rot away in a couple years if unworn, and still won't last that long if worn.
what sneakers are you buying/wearing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

Seriously, if you honest to god think the election was rigged and the presidency stolen, what the hell are you doing participating in another election? It's time to actually have an insurrection! But they didn't... right? They say they weren't really trying to be insurgents, because they thought the election was stolen, oh hang on a sec...

I mean it’s the same with Christianity, which is deeply tied with this poo poo. I grew up in the Bible Belt and the amount of people who outwardly admitted they had never read the Bible blew my mind.

If you believed in God, and there was one book that was his direct words, why would you do anything but study it with every moment of your waking life?

The answer is because they don’t believe any of that it’s just a convenient identity to orient themselves around.