Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

That poor Buchanan. Anyone of us would have done the same lmao

E: how am I consecutively getting these

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Jelly posted:

what sneakers are you buying/wearing?

Its pretty much all sneakers that are like that. Wearing them slows down the time it takes for them to dry up.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

withak posted:

Modern sneakers disintegrating themselves in just a few years is may favorite sneakerheads fact.
Where do you buy sneakers that last even a full year? :stare:

nobodygetshurt
Dec 11, 2007

it's horse paste isn't it

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

Dr. Faustus posted:

Garland has stated the trials are in the hands of the judiciary now and the election is irrelevant to the courts.

Historically, decorum has been the general rule for not investigating standing electorate.

He isn’t a sitting President, and the cases are as you mentioned, already in the courts.

The ball is rolling, and it won’t land in the gutter!

I predict a 300 point perfect game myself

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Poil posted:

Where do you buy sneakers that last even a full year? :stare:

Probably not actually wearing them helps.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

kw0134 posted:

Yeah, that doesn't really change anything. He made a 6-3 decision a 7-2 decision, Taney and the pro-Southern majority on the bench weren't going to do anything except make their grand statement. Like the pigs were always going to stir in the poo poo, Buchanan got into the sty and covered himself in it for no material change in the outcome.

Edit: if Fremont got elected in 1856, Taney wouldn't suddenly have decided to not overturn the Missouri Compromise.

Yo this is what started this bizarre derail

kw0134 posted:

Whether or not you like Buchanan as a person, you have to think of what another person would have done in his place and I don't think the answer would have resulted in much different because the historical forces that lead to the ACW are much larger than any single person, being a slow burning fuse that was lit in 1789 and finally reaching its end.

Then you mentioned the matter being decided before his inauguration, when you have actual biographers stating that Buchanan had an influence on the ruling being as expansive as it was, because the decision hadn't even been written yet!

You also skipped over Buchanan picking the Cabinet that effectively gave the South the firepower to start the Civil War and Buchanan actually ripping apart previous compromises and effectively ripping the Democractic Party in half thru his relentless love of slavery. (Here's another source worth reading: https://www.essentialcivilwarcurriculum.com/james-buchanan.html).

Like why are you carrying water for this dude? What made you get up and say, hey, I'm gonna defend James Buchanan today?

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

I've also evaded numerous prosecutions but posting in all caps on Twitter that they must cease.

Judged absolutely despise that loophole.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Its pretty much all sneakers that are like that. Wearing them slows down the time it takes for them to dry up.

So you're just going to double down that the average sneakers start rotting in two years?

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Olanphonia posted:

It is unbelievable to me that he still tries to throw out the first sentence of this post as a defense. Financial statements have to be correct. Understating is still fraud. Like...oh my god he admit it

The financial equivalent of "I kept it between the lines, this DWI is so unfair"

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Jelly posted:

So you're just going to double down that the average sneakers start rotting in two years?

It's like the Ark of the Covenant being opened with the results in slow motion.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Because it's far too simplistic? Like it totally ignores the fact that the Northern Dems under Douglas and the Southern Dems (everyone else) were already split over the ideological differences that were also splitting the rest of the nation, none of this was happening in some kind of historical vacuum. If you want me to say Buchanan was an rear end in a top hat who didn't deserve the presidency, then sure, no argument. But it feels like saying it's Buch' fault for everything leading to the ACW completely misunderstands that there was a reckoning coming and he was at most an accelerant to a process that was coming to a head one way or another. Nothing was going to stop the nation from coming to blows by the time Dred Scott came down, half the nation was bent on keeping slavery and the other half was as bent on eliminating it, and I don't see any single political figure that was going to change that reality. Sooner or later a Republican was going to win the presidency, the Southerners knew that their heyday was passing and there was no stopping the tipping point in Congress that had already come for the House and very soon for the Senate.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

There are somehow two furry avatar posters arguing about derails (one about sneakers and something about the Civil Ware era Supreme Court?) in this thread.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

There are somehow two furry avatar posters arguing about derails (one about sneakers and something about the Civil Ware era Supreme Court?) in this thread.
I'm kw0's poo poo-posting doppleganger

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Jelly posted:

If unworn yes they do.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

IShallRiseAgain posted:

If unworn yes they do.
I have a pair of Vans I bought like five years ago and have worn maybe twice that look exactly the same as the day I bought them and they weren't even expensive.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
:shrug: not to derail this further, but I don't understand how wearing a shoe prevents its rot. Does your foot sweat somehow grease the plastic?

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

...what difference to the election does it make if he was prosecuted three years ago, besides that it arguably would've been more effective at keeping him from winning?

There is never a correct time to prosecute his crimes. It's always a bad time

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

kw0134 posted:

Because it's far too simplistic? Like it totally ignores the fact that the Northern Dems under Douglas and the Southern Dems (everyone else) were already split over the ideological differences that were also splitting the rest of the nation, none of this was happening in some kind of historical vacuum. If you want me to say Buchanan was an rear end in a top hat who didn't deserve the presidency, then sure, no argument. But it feels like saying it's Buch' fault for everything leading to the ACW completely misunderstands that there was a reckoning coming and he was at most an accelerant to a process that was coming to a head one way or another. Nothing was going to stop the nation from coming to blows by the time Dred Scott came down, half the nation was bent on keeping slavery and the other half was as bent on eliminating it, and I don't see any single political figure that was going to change that reality. Sooner or later a Republican was going to win the presidency, the Southerners knew that their heyday was passing and there was no stopping the tipping point in Congress that had already come for the House and very soon for the Senate.

Like bad people can be called bad, regardless of what the current political climate is. But theres anreason why Buchanan is seen as one of our worst Presidents. The guy loved slavery so much he was willing to impose it on everyone in America. Most historians agree that he accelerated the road to the Civil War so that's why I reacted so strongly to your unsorted take. I suppose this was what got my goat the most.

kw0134 posted:

Buchanan was terrible because he couldn't stop the breakup that had been papered over since the founding and took the most passive approach to it. But I'm not sure what the alternative would have looked like.

Trump actively ran the country into the ground through his pathological nature. We can easily see what a less crazy president would have been like with just the pandemic response alone, because it was something other nations navigated with a lot more ease because their leaders had a modicum of sense.

He absolutely did not take the "most passive approach". Do you at least agree on that?

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Jelly posted:

I have a pair of Vans I bought like five years ago and have worn maybe twice that look exactly the same as the day I bought them and they weren't even expensive.

Yeah I don't think it's 2 years but it's definitely ten or a bit less.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
I’m into sneakers and the general consensus is that your shoes midsoles will crumble and fall apart more quickly if unworn and left in boxes because of a combination of factors (high temperature, lack of moisture, both leading to the glue losing cohesiveness or whatever). Conversely shoes with translucent/opaque materials will oxidize and turn yellow if exposed to the elements. The majority of people who are out here buying shoes with no intention of wearing them are buying them to sell later on the secondhand market. These people are assholes. I have been collecting sneakers for like five years now on a very limited budget (so like…two or three “expensive” pairs a year) and I wear all of mine, none of them are rotting or crumbling or anything. As long as you don’t beat them up and keep them in an appropriately ventilated environment and don’t wear the same pair every single day they won’t fall apart that fast. Since I started collecting pairs I have had two total that I’ve had to retire and it was either because I wore them to the point of being totally thrashed or I tried to dip dye them and messed up part of the shoe to the point of not being wearable.

Some companies also use better materials (see: not Nike and adidas) that last longer.

Bismack Billabongo fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Feb 19, 2024

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

I like how trump said “SNEAKERHEADS! That’s what they call you people, don’t they?” because you know that before he went out on stage someone told him “call them sneakerheads, they like that”

Shoe collecting is just funko pops for the trashier and slightly more self conscious

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

I buy sneakers made from living fungi mycelium, so while they do tend to rot and emit a foul-smelling ink, they also reproduce somehow (sexually? I think?) so they end up being a good value

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey

Somewhere in Shithole, FL, Aileen Cannon is reading this and :hmmyes:

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

Mr. Meagles posted:

I buy sneakers made from living fungi mycelium, so while they do tend to rot and emit a foul-smelling ink, they also reproduce somehow (sexually? I think?) so they end up being a good value

The air spore 1s are the hottest shoe of the year, it’s true. Can’t wait for the Travis Scott collab

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
I only wear Stamets Mids, myself.

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

You gotta hand it to him

Motherfucker I have been waiting to make a hand pun about Leopold II for years and you just went and did it. I salute you but I'm also jealous.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

They call them... *slurp* the Sneakerheads, they do, they're the sneakerheads. We like to call them our friends, we do, but they're the sneakerheads. I don't see a single sneaker on a head in here, but that's all right, we're having fun, that's OK. *slurp*

Harald posted:

Motherfucker I have been waiting to make a hand pun about Leopold II for years and you just went and did it. I salute you but I'm also jealous.

I am sad that I deprived a guy named Harald from talking poo poo about the King of the Belgians, you would have been much better suited for it than me.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

very funny of this forum to trash other people's weird nerd habits all because trump went to one of their conventions and sold poo poo shoes. people at these things aren't chuds guys, calm down.
(i don't collect shoes, but also if that's what you want to do to make money or have fun, go nuts)

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

They call them... *slurp* the Sneakerheads, they do, they're the sneakerheads. We like to call them our friends, we do, but they're the sneakerheads. I don't see a single sneaker on a head in here, but that's all right, we're having fun, that's OK. *slurp*

I am sad that I deprived a guy named Harald from talking poo poo about the King of the Belgians, you would have been much better suited for it than me.

Oh you're far too kind, take the credit it's well deserved.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright

kazil posted:

TRUMP DUMP

I few pages back but:

1. Imagine if ANY other president behaved like this every single day.

2. Someone should tell Trump about The Boy Who Cried Wolf.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Strong Sauce posted:

very funny of this forum to trash other people's weird nerd habits all because trump went to one of their conventions and sold poo poo shoes. people at these things aren't chuds guys, calm down.
(i don't collect shoes, but also if that's what you want to do to make money or have fun, go nuts)

If the convention marketed itself as having Trump there then literally every single person who attended is, in fact, a Chud because otherwise they would not have gone to the Trump event.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Mr. Meagles posted:

I hate being woken up in the middle of the night by my horny sneakers getting jiggy with it and shooting spores everywhere.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Strong Sauce posted:

Yeah, pretty weak. I don't gaf about collecting sneakers but cars and poo poo rust too if you don't take care of them. Also seems no one is familiar with vacuum sealing.

I collect plants and they have absolutely no resale value whatsoever.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Sometimes I like to take a step back and just try to imagine literally any other President in US history broadcasting something like this, and realize that not only is he not viewed as a completely unhinged lunatic, but millions of people wear his sweatshop merchandise.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

ImpAtom posted:

If the convention marketed itself as having Trump there then literally every single person who attended is, in fact, a Chud because otherwise they would not have gone to the Trump event.

this is really stupid qualifier because they didn't advertise this at all. the only thing i can find is they posted a picture on instagram after the event in which they're getting a ton of negative comments about trump from "sneakerheads"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Strong Sauce posted:

this is really stupid qualifier because they didn't advertise this at all. the only thing i can find is they posted a picture on instagram after the event in which they're getting a ton of negative comments about trump from "sneakerheads"

Didn't the dude literally post beforehand he was going to it?

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

Didn't the dude literally post beforehand he was going to it?

Not everyone is this online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
some faceless peon event manager probably approved it because "hey prez" and now theyre getting shitcanned for not getting PR 101 "dont invite well hated figures"

its like a non regressive because if it was a regrssive they would be screaming about being canceled