Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"
I feel like even by the criteria of managing the affairs of empire, which is how I'm assuming those historians are ranking the Presidents (and they are, because they're liberals, and even subconsciously that's how liberals would judge which President is "good"), then Biden should be easily in the lower half

Because Biden is speed running hegemonic collapse right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

VoicesCanBe posted:

I feel like even by the criteria of managing the affairs of empire, which is how I'm assuming those historians are ranking the Presidents (and they are, because they're liberals, and even subconsciously that's how liberals would judge which President is "good"), then Biden should be easily in the lower half

"oh so you want trmup to win????" is a powerful reason for them to not be that objective.

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"
Anyway if we're using a criterion like "material harm to human beings", one which I know these historians would not care about, it's incredibly obvious that Trump is vastly less harmful than Reagan or W Bush. It's not even close tbh.

VoicesCanBe has issued a correction as of 19:00 on Feb 19, 2024

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

VoicesCanBe posted:

Liberals have this weird thing where nothing is apparently Biden's fault.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Liberals have this weird thing where nothing is apparently Biden's fault.

with great power comes great impunity. modern managerial thinking is to reduce real responsibility as one goes up the chain, not to increase it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
POTUS is an incredibly important and powerful role when it's time to shame people into voting, and a totally inconsequential role when it's time to hold your own Party accountable for anything.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
they'll just say the hegemony is declining regardless and Biden is doing his best to slow it down after Trump sped it up.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

bedpan posted:

with great power comes great impunity. modern managerial thinking is to reduce real responsibility as one goes up the chain, not to increase it.

modern management is saying you take personal responsibility for something and then firing an underling for it

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

VoicesCanBe posted:

Anyway if we're using a criterion like "material harm to human beings", one which I know these historians would not care about, it's incredibly obvious that Trump is vastly less harmful than Reagan or W Bush. It's not even close tbh.

From their perspective, Reagan is everyone's granddad and Bush is the cool guy who was maybe a bit of a class clown but didn't mean any harm and Trump is the school bully and basically everyone is in fifth grade forever.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Halloween Jack posted:

POTUS is an incredibly important and powerful role when it's time to shame people into voting, and a totally inconsequential role when it's time to hold your own Party accountable for anything.

only for the democratic party, because they have to justify wanting and having power but not doing or wanting to do anything the voters want them to do. the republicans and third parties have no such problem.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Mayo Pete must never be allowed to be anything more than Transport Secretary.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Nonsense posted:

youll vote for cinnamon bun rat and like it

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Nonsense posted:

The crony ceiling. Can't ever give those people a shot at an elected position because they can't appeal to the masses. Biden in 2020 was a fluke because they had no one better to oppose Sanders and look how badly that's coming back to bite them four years later.

SgtMongoose
Feb 10, 2007

LMAO at this line in the Hill's article on that poll

The Hill posted:

The poll also ranked the partisan and ideological differences among respondents, with the surveyors arguing it did not “tend to make a major difference overall” in where presidents were ranked.

Pure high school physics friction-less surfaces in their heads.

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

SgtMongoose posted:

LMAO at this line in the Hill's article on that poll

Pure high school physics friction-less surfaces in their heads.

Bias is only something that evil tankies have. These liberal historians are simply searching for The Truth in an enlightened, non-biased fashion.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I tried talking to some friends about voting in the primary. They're registered independents so they can vote in either D or R. I tried asking them to vote for "noncommitted delegate" in the D race to at least try to signal for a cease fire in Gaza (the Colorado ballot doesn't have a write-in option). But instead they're completely convinced that the most important thing right now is to vote for Nikki Haley in the R race. I loving hate this poo poo.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
don't look, but i've got some terrible news about your friends. they're american.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

What's the best write-in anyway?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

I tried talking to some friends about voting in the primary. They're registered independents so they can vote in either D or R. I tried asking them to vote for "noncommitted delegate" in the D race to at least try to signal for a cease fire in Gaza (the Colorado ballot doesn't have a write-in option). But instead they're completely convinced that the most important thing right now is to vote for Nikki Haley in the R race. I loving hate this poo poo.

Ask them if they also believe, like her, that the civil war was definitely not about slavery

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Hillary

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Fitzy Fitz posted:

There is no reason to show up to the dem primary

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Kamala D. Harris

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Fister Roboto posted:

lol every voter thinks they're a strategist

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Fitzy Fitz posted:

SpiderHyphenMan

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Nichael posted:

it's actually good to habitually make murder weapons and give them to nazis because that money goes to american workers making murder weapons to give to nazis

https://x.com/JonathanOC/status/1758211127128047844?s=20

They love this loving talking point, don't they.

Tsitsikovas
Aug 2, 2023

Trabisnikof posted:

only for the democratic party, because they have to justify wanting and having power but not doing or wanting to do anything the voters want them to do.

Dennis Reynold's God Hole monologue, but as an entire political ethos.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

PhilippAchtel posted:

have to fight them there so that we dont fight them here.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

PhilippAchtel posted:

Where are these well paying jobs they are investing this money in

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Gripweed posted:

I think it serves as part of the overall trend towards greater criticism of Biden from generally pro-Dem circles. People can sense when someone is weak, and more and more it's clear that Biden is fair game.

I think as we get closer to the election not just criticism but outright anger from Democrats is going to start popping up in unexpected places. Nobody likes being tied to a loser.

He's being set up as a sin eater, just like Netanyahu

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

SniperWoreConverse posted:

*immediately flies home*

Well, yeah, the "job" was to get some nice PR photos, and that's done

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Environmental activists urging President Joe Biden to wage a stronger fight against climate change are facing an agonizing strategic decision: How hard can they push him without risking throwing the election to Donald Trump?

https://www.politico.com/news/2024/02/18/joe-biden-climate-activists-00142037

SgtMongoose
Feb 10, 2007

Uncle Wemus posted:

Where are these well paying jobs they are investing this money in

It's the War Economy. PMCs, Arms Manufacturers--job creators, Uncle Wemus. And the libs will do whatever it takes to keep it humming along. Especially war.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Uncle Wemus posted:

Environmental activists urging President Joe Biden to wage a stronger fight against climate change are facing an agonizing strategic decision: How hard can they push him without risking throwing the election to Donald Trump?

quote:

Biden campaign spokesperson Lauren Hitt declined to discuss activists’ responses to the president’s fossil fuel moves. She said in an email that “the President’s climate policy is motivated by common sense.

quote:

With Biden trailing Trump in several national polls, one of the last things the president needs is part of his base visibly causing confrontation, said Mark Longabaugh, a Democratic strategist who had advised Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders’ 2016 presidential campaign.

"For these guys to hold a protest, at this moment, creates a nuisance that can be debilitating,” Longabaugh said.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Uncle Wemus posted:

God I hate how trivially easy it was to tame the progressives.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

is pepsi ok posted:

God I hate how trivially easy it was to tame the progressives.

quote:

Sunrise is going through an internal process of figuring out how fiercely it should push, O’Hanlon said. “It’s hard to say right now exactly how we’ll walk that line.”

99% will turn out and vote for Biden even though he shits on them and their priorities

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010
https://www.axios.com/2024/02/19/biden-trump-age-state-union-election

Biden's reset moment

quote:

Biden officials see next month's State of the Union address as a big, public reset moment — a chance to overcome or at least neutralize concerns about President Biden's age and vitality.

Why it matters: Many top Democrats are convinced that if the election were today, Biden would lose a rematch with former President Trump. Biden's address on March 7 is his biggest chance to shift public perceptions.

What we're hearing: Biden's SOTU address played well last year — he seemed agile and riffed about the GOP and Social Security. Officials close to him, needing a repeat triumph, will spend hours on everything from the text to his physical preparation to exploit the prime-time moment.

"Everyone around him is well aware — well aware — of the need to jack this campaign up,"
a source close to Biden said. "The only way to deal with the negative aftershocks of the special counsel's report [slamming Biden's age] is for the president to be out there, to be visible — to be strong of presence and strong of voice."

One bold move that Biden has considered, we're told, is an executive order that would dramatically stanch the record flow of migrants into the Southwest. This could even happen in the two weeks before the address, allowing Biden to say he took action while Republicans just talk.

[....]

Behind the scenes: A new window into the Biden campaign's flux comes from CNN, which reports that some leading Democrats fear the campaign "might be stumbling past a point of no return." They've been heartened by listening sessions by Vice President Kamala Harris, which they view as a "surprising and welcome change, after months of feeling sloughed off by the White House and Biden campaign headquarters."

The outreach sessions included six Democratic governors who gathered around the dining room table of Harris' official residence two Saturdays ago. She's using the intelligence from the sessions to break through what she has called the "bubble" of Biden campaign thinking and to "push for changes in strategy and tactics that she hopes will put the ticket in better shape to win," CNN reported. Another Naval Observatory session featured Black men — a group Harris is working to energize.

Ashley Etienne, former communications director for Harris and then-House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, told Axios the sessions led by Harris are "finally starting to play to her strength." Etienne said "convener-in-chief" is a role long envisioned by Harris allies, who point to her high approval with some of the party's most vital constituencies — women voters, Black voters, younger voters.

[....]

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

listening sessions? she's gonna hear you?

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Uncle Wemus posted:

________ urging President Joe Biden to wage a stronger fight against ______ are facing an agonizing strategic decision: How hard can they push him without risking throwing the election to Donald Trump?

rinse & repeat as needed (it'll be needed a lot).

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

:qq: young ingrates :qq:

quote:

Despite delivering the largest-ever investment in climate action through Congress, pouring hundreds of billions of dollars into technologies such as wind power and electric cars, Biden and his appointees have faced loud protests from activists dismayed by administration actions boosting oil and gas production.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Willa Rogers posted:

:qq: young ingrates :qq:

setting up the justifications for a biden defeat