Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Shat has already blocked you. That's another 1000 smackers for the horses, easy money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

They should pony up the money themselves and immediately post "hey @shat do you want to be on our podcast?" to get immediately blocked again.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Kingo Ligma posted:

This isn't remotely true. Yes twitter has more users than these forums, but that's like comparing Skrewdriver to a local garage band and saying they must be good because they have a bigger audience. Instagram is Taylor Swift, and both are insignificant to all normies.

I don't get your analogy since I wasn't saying twitter was good because it's more popular. I was explaining why people still use it. If twitter isn't the best website to get a text statement seen by as many people as possible, then what is?

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Lister posted:

I don't get your analogy since I wasn't saying twitter was good because it's more popular. I was explaining why people still use it. If twitter isn't the best website to get a text statement seen by as many people as possible, then what is?

Insta

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Be advised: True Detective season 4 was dogshit. That is all.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

Mordja posted:

(to the tune of " the farmer in the dell")

I could've told you that
I could've told you that
I didn't even watch it
And I could've told you that

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Mordja posted:

were there booms in shot?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Starship Troopers had an all CGI action spin off saturday morning cartoon and let me tell you, I ate up that anti-bug propaganda along with my government recommended milk.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I feel like the effects for the bugs hold up pretty well. like a lot of movies from the same time don't look as convincing. in fact a lot of stuff from a decade later looks worse. like say, twilight? that era? stuff looked kinda trash around then.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
how do the staple remover bugs eat?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Light Gun Man posted:

I feel like the effects for the bugs hold up pretty well. like a lot of movies from the same time don't look as convincing. in fact a lot of stuff from a decade later looks worse. like say, twilight? that era? stuff looked kinda trash around then.

Yeah the special effects were great and really hold up. Lots of practical stuff, and the cgi was mostly just background stuff and alien crowd stuff so it's really not notifiable.

CGI from that era was not good, and Verhoeven is a great director who had a lot of experience with special effects. He definitely knew what he could get away with using early cgi and what he couldn't and just how to mix the practical and CGI well.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

The worst effect is probably the guy getting his arm burnt off, and that's still kickin rad.

Oh, and all the pink blood people throw up, I guess.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Nigmaetcetera posted:

I hate Shat and TOS. It's an ugly show with horrible makeup effects and set design, bad acting, and childish storylines that frequently saw them visiting planets that happened to look just like the paramount back lot that were peopled by aliens that happened to look exactly like humans. The music was lousy, too. I guess shat was ok in the movies, they at least didn't look like they were intentionally trying to make everything look as cheap and stupid as possible.

Please don't tell anyone how mad i am.

You just listed every reason why TOS is loving amazing.

CapChino
Feb 7, 2024
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/terry-levene-dead-exploitation-films-1235823135/

Terry Levene, producer, marketer, and distributor of Exploitation films has just died. For the RLM folks out there, you may be familiar with his work as one of his films he produced Silent Night, Deadly Night was featured on a Christmas episode of BOTW.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

the TOS music kicks rear end, especially the fight theme tune.
As much as I love the later TNG seasons, I did not love the sonic wallpaper score.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Barudak posted:

Starship Troopers had an all CGI action spin off saturday morning cartoon and let me tell you, I ate up that anti-bug propaganda along with my government recommended milk.

There were a couple live-action sequels as well, which I assume were just played straight, humans vs. bugs we don't need to talk about the politics on Earth.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

PostNouveau posted:

There were a couple live-action sequels as well, which I assume were just played straight, humans vs. bugs we don't need to talk about the politics on Earth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YB6Xq-jjzeE

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Oh my

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
The idea of the federation putting out a song called "it's a good day to die" sounds great. Nice very unsubtle satire, similar to the first film. Perfect.

Dear god did they manage to gently caress up the execution in ways I didn't even know were possible. What the hell even was that???

mystes
May 31, 2006

IIRC the sequel movies are really awful in general because they had zero budget and as a result they had to recycle footage from the first movie because they couldn't do their own effects

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

PostNouveau posted:

All of the sequels (except for Starship Troopers: Invasion) were written by Ed Neumeier who wrote the first film. The second movie is a pretty bad Aliens knockoff but it doesn't lose sight of the fact that the Federation is a fascist hell society.

The second movie was directed by Phil Tippett so despite having a low budget and some really bad "laser" guns, the CGI isn't terrible and the gore and animatronics for the bug infested troopers is great. The third movie has zero budget and tries to go bigger like the first movie and suffers as a result. But it does have some pretty funny line reads.

The CGI movies are a mixed bag too. Invasion is pretty lame overall but Traitor of Mars has some good spots and it brings back Casper Van Dien and Dina Meyer.

And Roughnecks is just a drat good show that branches off into its own take on Starship Troopers. It plays it more straight than the movie but it retains the propaganda angle too by making the POV character a wartime reporter.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Feb 19, 2024

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I'd love to see a Starship Troopers sequel set in the aftermath of the humans losing the war. It doesn't really seem like the bugs have any inclination to invade human space, so the human society would just be left stewing in their humiliation. Something like a cold war spy thriller but there is only one side since the bugs and humans don't/can't communicate at all.

Like what does the collapse of fascism look like with absolutely zero outside forces or internal anti-fascist actors to form a revolution? Complete decay back into warlord feudalism?

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Feb 19, 2024

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The AV club gave the true detective finale an A-, and with such a ringing endorsement perhaps it's the posters who are wrong

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
prob just happy its over and they dont have to watch anymore

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN
The original pilot to Star Trek was about the crew on a mission to extract water from an asteroid, and so it was given the production title Blue Harvest.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Deathstalker and (more importantly) Deathstalker 2 have been added to Shudder

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
they were already on tubi

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

RealityWarCriminal posted:

I'm more surprised by that ferengi crew member

Yeah, was that an alternate universe or a future timeline or something?

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

X JAKK posted:

The original pilot to Star Trek was about the crew on a mission to extract water from an asteroid, and so it was given the production title Blue Harvest.

Is star trek part of spumm?

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Crescent Wrench posted:

I got a hearty laugh when I saw what this video was. I was just watching some of the Picard Re:Views in the background the past couple days and this topic actually came up during their chat chat. Apparently Mike's had this project on the backburner for years, Rich asked about it and egged him on to complete it. And here we are.

Hah, I thought he made it because of his wounded pride over losing TNG trivia to Rich

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Well, WaPo makes it official: ‘Madame Web’ flops at the box office

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Honestly???? $50M worldwide ($25 US, $25 international) on the first extended weekend is pretty incredible. If I were Sony, and I'm thinking streaming licensing and "expanding the cinematic universe" and getting to keep these rights, I'd be partying right now. I know the budget was pretty low, they might be thinking of this as a wash, at worst right now.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

poisonpill posted:

Honestly???? $50M worldwide ($25 US, $25 international) on the first extended weekend is pretty incredible. If I were Sony, and I'm thinking streaming licensing and "expanding the cinematic universe" and getting to keep these rights, I'd be partying right now. I know the budget was pretty low, they might be thinking of this as a wash, at worst right now.

You can't just make money you dweep, you must make the MOST money!!!1

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
that's a 6 day total and it made a bit over half as much as mobius

madam web still made more than argylle though, that was an enormous bomb

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Next time they need to make a movie not to lose film rights, they should instead make something like the 1994 Fantastic 4 and never release it.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

if dune 2 flops I think movies are probably just over and done for real this time

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The posters and the critics seem excited for dunc 2 but I don't know if the general audience will materialize.

I mean even I only saw the first right away because it was day 1 on hbo max, it takes a godzilla minus one level thing to get me to go to the people on their phones box these days

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

kalel posted:

if dune 2 flops I think movies are probably just over and done for real this time

Avatar 3 is just around the corner

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Don’t worry godawful horror films will keep movies alive!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vakal
May 11, 2008
First public executions went away now movies, what else will this fickle society of ours lose?