Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I’m pumped 12 of the Mavs’ post ASG game will be OTA. Wish they all could be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Here's how to fix the ASG: make three lineups on each side. East five guys play against West five guys for six minutes. Then a full shift change, and repeat. Now you have a double-elimination mini tournament within the main game. The five who wins the last six minutes gets paid out.

Edit: you'd have to make the mini-games four minutes each to get all three lineups fit into a double-elimination, I guess

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Strawberry Panda posted:

The NFL replaced it's all star game with a children's game and the commentators all shill it as being a brilliant idea. Imagine the NBA commentators getting that assignment.

TBF, Booger Macfarland openly talking about Aaron Rogers and ayahuasca on the broadcast, and the ensuing chaos that resulted, was comedy gold.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1759640286165106838

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

edit: holy crap I didn't realize I was resurrecting a week old derail.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Fixing the NBA all star game is simple imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9JVVQTPymw

With LED floors they could even move the hot spots around like per possession

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

hell yes

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
Really Good Deal for a guy whose game seems likely to age well and is a pretty important piece for them on and off the court, espec with their salary crunch

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Tim can't keep getting away with this!!!

Jama7301
Jan 5, 2024
$10m/year for a stable point guard? Seems like a pretty solid deal, and a tradable number should the need arise.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1759672898078306590

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/EuroBasket/status/1759668204916424782

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

We've stagnated as a culture to where the dunk contest is just seeing the biggest thing/person you can jump over.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

tanglewood1420 posted:

Yeah this is an issue the NBA has, probably not for anyone in here but in terms of reaching out to the casual audience for sure.

The TNT guys are great and we (mostly) love them partly because they are all no filter and speak honestly, but the do you think the NFL would put up with them denigrating the games they cover so often? The NFL broadcast treats some lovely Week 14 Jets v Panthers game like it's a life or death epic.
To be fair everyone is putting their future health on the line for every NFL game, so they get a big dramatic boost. Although people don't treat boxing matches like that. Maybe if they did we could boost it up in the american sports hierarchy again.

Mike solved all the wolves issues so quickly. What a legendary glue guy. The Jazz went from playoff scrappy doo contender to lottery team when he left.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Dejan Bimble posted:

Mike solved all the wolves issues so quickly. What a legendary glue guy. The Jazz went from playoff scrappy doo contender to lottery team when he left.

Bizarro Dame Lillard

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

tanglewood1420 posted:

Yeah this is an issue the NBA has, probably not for anyone in here but in terms of reaching out to the casual audience for sure.

The TNT guys are great and we (mostly) love them partly because they are all no filter and speak honestly, but the do you think the NFL would put up with them denigrating the games they cover so often? The NFL broadcast treats some lovely Week 14 Jets v Panthers game like it's a life or death epic.
I think about this a lot and last year posters talked about why old players are so bitter. I think the season is too long and people get worn down.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

mdemone posted:

Here's how to fix the ASG: make three lineups on each side. East five guys play against West five guys for six minutes. Then a full shift change, and repeat. Now you have a double-elimination mini tournament within the main game. The five who wins the last six minutes gets paid out.

Edit: you'd have to make the mini-games four minutes each to get all three lineups fit into a double-elimination, I guess

I'm refining this idea:

First six minutes - East 3 vs West 3
Second six minutes - East 1 vs West 2
Third six minutes - East 2 vs West 1
Fourth six minutes - loser bracket, two lowest remaining seeds

Fifth six minutes - winner bracket, two highest undefeated seeds
Sixth six minutes - loser bracket, lowest remaining seeds
Seventh six minutes - winner bracket, two lowest remaining seeds
Eighth six minutes - last two teams alive

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

https://twitter.com/stephenasmith/status/1759690476746080472

well i can't think of a better venue to address the recent controversy

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

is stephen a smith doing some kind of jim cramer bit

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Kenny: Stephen I want to ADDRESS this issue.
[SAS nods]
Kenny: You KNOW I am sensitive to women’s suffrage
SAS: Absolutely
Kenny: BUT!

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Cool! I think he's going to age really quickly at some point but he's been really good this season so tying him up for rotation-player money is a good deal. If he has to play that 2nd year as a backup that's still not bad at all.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Wolves are almost certainly going to have to trade one of Gobert, KAT or McDaniels in the summer. Their off-season is going to be fascinating.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Ricky :unsmith:

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

tanglewood1420 posted:

Wolves are almost certainly going to have to trade one of Gobert, KAT or McDaniels in the summer. Their off-season is going to be fascinating.

Why?

Going into the tax for a season or two isn't a problem if you're near the top of your conference. New owners have actively said they have no problem doing so for a winning team.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Average coach, legendary hater
https://twitter.com/CoachKarl22/status/1759589875672576482

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

George Karl sucks and if he was a better coach he would have won a title with Melo.

Karl hating on Melo over a decade later is pathetic.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Lockback posted:

Why?

Going into the tax for a season or two isn't a problem if you're near the top of your conference. New owners have actively said they have no problem doing so for a winning team.
Jaden's replaced Naz in the rumor list now. At this rate, it'll be Ant in that third slot by the end of the offseason.

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

Lockback posted:

Why?

I am not a CBA expert but even with their current situation I'd assume you can still keep a full roster without doing anything big.

They've got 8 under contract plus some two ways, a few filler guys they could resign for cheap (maybe even SloMo even though he's fallen off), and this is also the year the Wolves have a first rounder and 2 seconds.

They've got a window before they need to make any tough decisions, and given their regular season play you could call them contenders - which is presumably what the new owners would dip into the tax for.

Personally, I just hope that the fanbase just gets a little juice, though I understand not being enthused to visit the Target Center lol

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Spacebump posted:

George Karl sucks and if he was a better coach he would have won a title with Melo.
I really, really, really doubt this.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

been seeing a lot of youtube videos pop up of players recently talking about how George Karl was a huge piece of poo poo, he's probably trying to push back on that narrative

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

pentyne posted:

been seeing a lot of youtube videos pop up of players recently talking about how George Karl was a huge piece of poo poo, he's probably trying to push back on that narrative

subtweeting carmelo anthony once a week about how he's a trashlord is probably not going to help him shed that narrative

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

pentyne posted:

Cousins posted a snake in the grass emoji like a decade ago

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

stuker posted:

https://twitter.com/stephenasmith/status/1759690476746080472

well i can't think of a better venue to address the recent controversy

lol

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Telluric Whistler posted:

though I understand not being enthused to visit the Target Center lol

I guess my experience with other NBA arenas is effectively zero since any I've been to were over a decade ago but why? I've been to the Target Center a few times since the renovation and didn't have any issues.

I'm sure the new owners are going to want a new arena regardless, of course.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Telluric Whistler posted:

I am not a CBA expert but even with their current situation I'd assume you can still keep a full roster without doing anything big.

They've got 8 under contract plus some two ways, a few filler guys they could resign for cheap (maybe even SloMo even though he's fallen off), and this is also the year the Wolves have a first rounder and 2 seconds.

They've got a window before they need to make any tough decisions, and given their regular season play you could call them contenders - which is presumably what the new owners would dip into the tax for.

Personally, I just hope that the fanbase just gets a little juice, though I understand not being enthused to visit the Target Center lol

They can keep everybody, including Slo-mo but I suspect they don't. I think they'll try to stay under the 2nd apron which I think they can do even if they extend Monte Morris. But it''ll mean no Anderson (unless he stays for real cheap) and basically minimum or minimum-ish guys.

After next year it gets a lot harder but one step at a time.

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

yeah george karl sucks and the fact that he or whoever he pays to do his socials posted that says a lot

i don't even really like melo

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

tbh i was surprised george karl is still alive, i remember him looking 80 years old when he was still coaching

e: according to wikipedia he's 72

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Someone give Jamal a giant loving wedgie for being a giant baby while simultaneously trying to pull the condescending speak to me politely card

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

gently caress it, have the top 3 all-star snubs be the ASG refs and mic everyone up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

IcePhoenix posted:

I guess my experience with other NBA arenas is effectively zero since any I've been to were over a decade ago but why? I've been to the Target Center a few times since the renovation and didn't have any issues.

I'm sure the new owners are going to want a new arena regardless, of course.

Honestly I haven't been since the renovations except for a prospective season ticket holder walkthrough with my brother who still lived in Minneapolis at the time. I never minded the old building and the new one looked fine, but when I talk to folks back home they still whine about the venue.

It probably does feel a little wanting compared to the Twins or Vikings venues, but it could also just be Minnesota fans being terrible as usual.

I much prefer it to my current venue options of "high school gym" and a multipurpose hockey + basketball arena that has bad sightlines and weird seating plans (though I get to see Jared Sullinger and Daryl Macon light it up)