Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

phosdex posted:

Fully offline mode requires restarting to swap between modes.

lol is it a separate exe or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I was hoping for a little more drastic skill changes, but Soul Feast seems to have gotten a mini-revamp at least.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

phosdex posted:

Enemy hp increase, corruption scaling increase, mob density reduction?

density reduction is not something i ever want ot hear in an arpg

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

queeb posted:

density reduction is not something i ever want ot hear in an arpg

It's going down in a few outliers and up everywhere else. Overall the density is up.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Biggest nerfs seem to be to Shadow Daggers and Runemaster ward generation, which were both OP.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

If you think about it, it's kind of weird that they they have very detailed patch notes about the changes for each skill EXCEPT Gathering Storm, Tempest Strike, and Healing Hands where they still only have the vague previews. And unlike Falconer and Warlock, they didn't even get fancy reveal streams to show off their trees. So those three skills are left as mysteries.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I still want to know who is

gently caress YEAH BIRD

and somehow got them to make it a mastery

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Are blessing rolls saved now or is that coming in a future patch?

gnoma
Feb 7, 2005

These poles made from wood, and the crossarms from iron.
It's not making it in for 1.0, via discord:

Overall the patch notes look good, hopefully there are way more bug fixes than what's shown because it's missing a lot.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Ugh. Hope that doesn't mean slated for a future season. That's probably my biggest complaint about the game from a systems perspective.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I've played through the campaign twice in the few years I've owned this. Looking forward to 1.0.

Not sure on what I'm going to play yet. FlaconEEEER is definitely tempting, and will probably have some broken OP builds once it's in the hands of everyone. That said, I also haven't played a minion build here yet, so I might roll a necro and get a bone army going.

I hear squirrel army is a thing too, but I think I wanna roll with skeles first.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Guess I'll give this a shot when 1.0 drops. I know nothing. Is there anything I really need to know before diving straight in?

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

theshim posted:

Guess I'll give this a shot when 1.0 drops. I know nothing. Is there anything I really need to know before diving straight in?

Craft early, craft often. You can do it from anywhere, just hit F.

Loot filter early, loot filter often. shift F

The in game guide is actually useful, hit G

Everything is searchable, notably the skill trees which will help you make a synergistic build. There are lots of ways to change damage types and trigger casts of other skills

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

theshim posted:

there's a bunch of starting 1.0 vids popping up on yt now, all the d4/poe content creators are getting their bag

that said it's pretty friendly and even has a good in game guide to mechanics

you can do just fine and get to endgame on any class just picking whatever makes sense and picking appropriate gear that matches your skills, worry about optimizing later

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

Haven't played this since about this time last year when they did their big patch. I'll come back for 1.0 since the next PoE league is still at least a month away so the timing is real good.

What are my best bets for non-minion builds? Looks like a lot of the popular mage builds are Runemaster, but those also got nerfed in the patch notes. Is the maxroll site generally reliable as a starting place? I know this game is slightly less obtuse than PoE in terms of mechanics, but a little guidance can go a long way in an ARPG.

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

There are no drones here. No way no how.
The best part about this is that you can beat the game and move into endgame stuff without needing to follow a guide.

You can read the skills and then just pick the things that obviously synergize with it and you will have a functional build. You can min/max for sure but if it's your first run through the game just pick something that looks cool to you and go from there. They really threaded the needle between accessible character building and complexity.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Tarnop posted:

Craft early, craft often. You can do it from anywhere, just hit F.
nooooooooooooo

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Crafting in this game basically just means "hey, this weapon has +melee on it, and I do melee! But what if that number was bigger?" It's not complicated at all, and you get a billion crafting mats just from killing things.

Also, don't be afraid to respec skills, like, whenever you feel like it. You have to relevel them so it's not something you can do every battle, but they get boosted exp for being below your character level (not to mention a raising minimum level) and there's a soft cap on their levels based on your character level anyway. Respeccing passives is also fairly cheap if you decide you messed up.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Feb 19, 2024

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

theshim posted:

nooooooooooooo

It's super simple to get started, you're just adding stats to gear with less than 4 stats, upgrading existing stats and occasionally taking a punt on rerolling a stat you don't need. Items can only be crafted on so many times so they don't become endless money sinks. You just find something decent looking and boost the stats you care about. That will carry you easily through a good chunk of the endgame

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

theshim posted:

nooooooooooooo

I generally hate crafting in ARPGs and MMOs and things.

The crafting in this game is great, straightforward, fast, and predictable. Either it'll make "the stat you want" go up, or it'll fail. You have a limited amount of attempts. You won't brick your item or anything (you just will eventually not be able to craft on it anymore).

It's minorly more complex than say bench crafting in PoE.

J
Jun 10, 2001

The crafting in this game is great because you can engage with it right away without feeling like you're wasting resources that "should" be saved for endgame crafting projects later.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
I was going to start infernal shade, but it looks like it received a ~25% effectiveness nerf (cast speed and range). I'm still probably going to start it, but it feels bad.

That said, a lot of my map clear actually uses the volatile zombie belt affix by the time I get to higher corruption, and the changes aren't enough to really spoil the bossing experience.

Or I could try Warlock!

I like this part of ARPGs, where everything is new and exciting.

gnoma
Feb 7, 2005

MerrMan posted:

What are my best bets for non-minion builds? Looks like a lot of the popular mage builds are Runemaster, but those also got nerfed in the patch notes. Is the maxroll site generally reliable as a starting place? I know this game is slightly less obtuse than PoE in terms of mechanics, but a little guidance can go a long way in an ARPG.

Runemaster got off relatively light, still very strong. The other top mastery options are going to be the new stuff, Falconer and Warlock, alongside Druid. After that Paladin, Necromancer, Lich, Beastmaster, Bladedancer will continue to be very good, just a little behind the new stuff. Marskman with the new Blast Rain build will perform like top builds, but its other builds will probably be mediocre. Spellblade will be fine, but not pop off as much as the top stuff. Same with Void Knight. Forgeguard, Sorceror, and Shaman are kind of weak choices but they have like 1 to 3 builds that work for them and can't be played by other masteries. Druid is going to be better than Shaman at taking advantage of the new Tempest Strike and Gathering Storm skills for Primalist.

Maxroll is reliable for the most part. Builds from from Volca and Bina are really well optimized. Lizard's builds for Lich, Hydrahedron, Bone Golem and Warlock are great. He has a lot of other builds that he copied over from the community pre-0.9 without ever playing them and they haven't been updated for new tech so they are a bit questionable. They should still serve as good starting points. McFluffin has more dad-style builds and aren't as optimized for pushing really high level stuff. If you play echo Warpath, I'd definitely go for dual wield Eye of Reen and Shadow Cleaver with the Cyclone of War node over his Apathy's Maw setup. Vision's Roid Mage is a solid minion build and Boardman's Devouring Orb should also be fine but not overpowered.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
darth microtransaction's doing an interview with ehg mike now, mike mentioned that pinnacle bosses are supposed to be coming in 1.1

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

gnoma posted:

Druid is going to be better than Shaman at taking advantage of the new Tempest Strike and Gathering Storm skills for Primalist.

They haven't even revealed the full skill trees for them yet.

gnoma
Feb 7, 2005

The patch notes showed no changes to the shaman passive tree which is its biggest weakness. And the nodes they showed work for Druid. Like Werebear getting to proc Tornado is going to be huge for its damage

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

gnoma posted:

The patch notes showed no changes to the shaman passive tree which is its biggest weakness. And the nodes they showed work for Druid. Like Werebear getting to proc Tornado is going to be huge for its damage

They changed the shaman passive tree to cast Gathering Storm lightning bolts sometimes. Depending on what those lightning bolts do exactly, that could be amazing. Or not. It's impossible to know right now.

I can't say these changes are enough to make it good, but it's a flat-out lie to say they didn't change it.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Feb 19, 2024

gnoma
Feb 7, 2005

Those nodes are the same as always, they just refer to a different spell than before (technically the melee one now gives 10% more attack speed). Druid gives better tankiness than Shaman, can pop in and out of forms to have unlimited mana, and any skill that can be triggered while in Werebear or Swarmblade is inherently going to be stronger on Druid because of how generically strong those forms are. You can scale on hit better with Beastmaster due Aspect of the Shark and Aspect of the Viper attack speed and it also gets a ton of crit multiplier from Frenzy Totem and Aspect of the Lynx. Shaman being overshadowed by the other two Primalist masteries is a long standing problem that didn't really get addressed.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I got nothing but buffs on my sentinel but I do note with some disappointment that Hive Mind not only got a patch degrading its implicits but did not get one updating its acid flask mechanic.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

gnoma posted:

Those nodes are the same as always, they just refer to a different spell than before (technically the melee one now gives 10% more attack speed). Druid gives better tankiness than Shaman, can pop in and out of forms to have unlimited mana, and any skill that can be triggered while in Werebear or Swarmblade is inherently going to be stronger on Druid because of how generically strong those forms are. You can scale on hit better with Beastmaster due Aspect of the Shark and Aspect of the Viper attack speed and it also gets a ton of crit multiplier from Frenzy Totem and Aspect of the Lynx. Shaman being overshadowed by the other two Primalist masteries is a long standing problem that didn't really get addressed.

They don't specifically call it out in the patch notes, but the numbers are also bigger on most of those passives. And referring to a different spell with completely unknown properties could, at least in theory, be good for them. I'm not saying that they will suddenly be better than druids, just that we don't know precisely how they're going to be yet.

Edit:
  • Lagonian Wrath used to only give Melee Lightning Damage, now gives both Melee and Spell Damage (and doesn't mention lightning)
  • Lagon's Answer now gives additional chance to cast bolts while channeling
  • Thunder Strike now gives attack speed and a higher proc chance per point
  • Conflux now does something completely different in every way

Every single one was buffed in addition to referring to a different spell.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Feb 19, 2024

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

MerrMan posted:

What are my best bets for non-minion builds? Looks like a lot of the popular mage builds are Runemaster, but those also got nerfed in the patch notes.

Runemaster honestly was too strong so the nerf is justified. It's also a very dynamic and fun mastery with lots of big explosions and cool effects going off all over the place. Highly recommended.

I'm going to start Falconer and try to create some kind of explosive trap detonating arrow build. Some of the nodes in the explosive trap skill tree look nuts with traps throwing more traps and traps shooting detonating arrows and I want to see if it can be made into a functioning build :D

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Drone Incognito posted:

The best part about this is that you can beat the game and move into endgame stuff without needing to follow a guide.

You can read the skills and then just pick the things that obviously synergize with it and you will have a functional build. You can min/max for sure but if it's your first run through the game just pick something that looks cool to you and go from there. They really threaded the needle between accessible character building and complexity.

Seeing how much stuff is simply and clearly explained in-game is a real breath of fresh air. I’m really going to enjoy playing it without having to alt tab all the time to check on mechanics and stat stuff.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Martout posted:

Runemaster honestly was too strong so the nerf is justified. It's also a very dynamic and fun mastery with lots of big explosions and cool effects going off all over the place. Highly recommended.

I'm going to start Falconer and try to create some kind of explosive trap detonating arrow build. Some of the nodes in the explosive trap skill tree look nuts with traps throwing more traps and traps shooting detonating arrows and I want to see if it can be made into a functioning build :D

Maybe I am super dumb, but isn't Detonating Arrow the mastery skill for Marksman?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

lol posted:

All enemies have 2% more health

All enemies deal 1% more damage

gnoma
Feb 7, 2005

Clarste posted:

They don't specifically call it out in the patch notes, but the numbers are also bigger on most of those passives. And referring to a different spell with completely unknown properties could, at least in theory, be good for them. I'm not saying that they will suddenly be better than druids, just that we don't know precisely how they're going to be yet.

40% or 60% more of these on hit isn't going to be meta changing, even with the boosts in the Gathering Storm tree. You'll definitely get more than that from Beastmaster's attack speed aspects. If you think Shaman is the way, go for it. I'm just going off existing knowledge that circulates in the community.

There is technically support for channeling with both Tempest Strike and that Lagon's Answer node, so I guess there is a chance channeled Avalanche becomes playable. But it's been one of the most fringe abilities in the game for years.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

gnoma posted:

40% or 60% more of these on hit isn't going to be meta changing, even with the boosts in the Gathering Storm tree. You'll definitely get more than that from Beastmaster's attack speed aspects. If you think Shaman is the way, go for it. I'm just going off existing knowledge that circulates in the community.

There is technically support for channeling with both Tempest Strike and that Lagon's Answer node, so I guess there is a chance channeled Avalanche becomes playable. But it's been one of the most fringe abilities in the game for years.

My point is simply that we don't know what the Gathering Storm tree will do these bolts. Maybe there's something that makes it have 50000% more spell damage scaling but hit less often (which would make triggering it super good). I'm not saying there is something like that, but we just don't know.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Feb 19, 2024

gnoma
Feb 7, 2005

The tree is out. https://maxroll.gg/last-epoch/planner/

It's mostly about increasing the frequency of storm stacks and doing things when you gain/spend storm stacks, which are specific to using the skill. You can get generic 40% lightning pen, 32% more damage, melee -> spell damage conversion, and consume 1% current mana for 3% more damage per 10 current mana.

gnoma fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Feb 19, 2024

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Yeah, those aren't too interesting. Unfortunate.

gnoma
Feb 7, 2005

Both letools and maxroll panners are updated for 1.0 now, including uniques

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Clarste posted:

Maybe I am super dumb, but isn't Detonating Arrow the mastery skill for Marksman?

I haven't mapped the build out yet but there is a node in explosive traps that make them shoot detonating arrows when they explode, perhaps marksman would be a better mastery for it overall but I also want birb