Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Thanks, Eagle

https://i.imgur.com/agPPTeQ.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000

megane posted:

For as hype about this game as people seem to be, the actual combat is… not inspiring. The guns are bland, there’s only a tiny handful of them, and there’s no melee combat or anything to break it up; at best you have a moderately-interesting support weapon. The bulk of the fun is stratagems, and most of those are effectively just really big grenades. Don’t get me wrong, throwing a really big grenade is fun! But there’s only so much playtime you can wring out of it. And the ship upgrades are all boring passives, so once you’ve unlocked all the stratagems you like there’s nowhere to go.

e: one effect of the shift to 3D from topdown is the loss of immediacy. You can spot bases from a long distance, throw a ton of eagle strikes on them, and never have to actually go in and fight up close.

The outposts you blow up have various samples depending on your difficulty. I always fight into them in that softened up window after blowing them up so I can collect rewards.

There is a lot of fighting, but winning fights isn't the point of the game. Its about softening up assaults long enough to complete objectives and get out before getting overwhelmed.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Hae you ever actually had samples destroyed by strategems or explosions? Usually stuff you can collect survives everything. I've walked into plenty of craters and still found stims, ammo, and samples.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Coolness Averted posted:

Hae you ever actually had samples destroyed by strategems or explosions? Usually stuff you can collect survives everything. I've walked into plenty of craters and still found stims, ammo, and samples.

I don't think anything you can collect ever gets destroyed, just rendered uncollectable by accidentally dropping into a death pit or perhaps being carried into the water by a Helldiver that thought they could swim across that small body of water. Even then, I don't think strategems or explosions can physically move any collectable objects.

If you die from overcharging the Railgun in Unsafe Mode it does get destroyed, though.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Probably already known, but on PS5 I would occasionally get a game where I saw nobody else online. I mean NOBODY, which I found highly improbable.

Turns out if you suspend your console, when you come back to the game it basically isolates you from the galaxy. Close and restarting the game fixes it.

PS: am I blind or is there really no “return to main menu” option on PlayStation?

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch

Made a silly doodle

Eagle Cluster Bomb is the most supreme technique of any helldiver. Within the blast radius, the user's teamkilling abillities are improved and any bomblet dropped is guaranteed to hit.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

megane posted:

For as hype about this game as people seem to be, the actual combat is… not inspiring. The guns are bland, there’s only a tiny handful of them, and there’s no melee combat or anything to break it up; at best you have a moderately-interesting support weapon. The bulk of the fun is stratagems, and most of those are effectively just really big grenades. Don’t get me wrong, throwing a really big grenade is fun! But there’s only so much playtime you can wring out of it. And the ship upgrades are all boring passives, so once you’ve unlocked all the stratagems you like there’s nowhere to go.

e: one effect of the shift to 3D from topdown is the loss of immediacy. You can spot bases from a long distance, throw a ton of eagle strikes on them, and never have to actually go in and fight up close.

i agree a chainsaw support weapon would be dope as hell

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Amuys posted:

Made a silly doodle

Eagle Cluster Bomb is the most supreme technique of any helldiver. Within the blast radius, the user's teamkilling abillities are improved and any bomblet dropped is guaranteed to hit.

1000x this. I can't tell you how many times I've been TK'd by the Eagle Cluster Bomb. I swear to Liberty that in one mission, at least 10 of our total 20 reinforcements were a result of one guy clusterbombing the team and the moron did not seem to make the connection that every time they used it at least one or more teammates wound up dead - I guess they thought killing three bugs was worth it.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

megane posted:

The gunplay it *somewhat* basic, although it's heavier than most shooters, yes. However, I think it's simplifying it to call the strategems "big grenades". You get twenty of them spread out across the team and they come in a dozen of varieties with their own strengths and weaknesses. It's more appropriate to consider them as a fundamental part of your kit rather than killstreak-style "oh gently caress" buttons. Which means that the devs can also build around you having them and making crazy situations in the higher tier games. It's more EDF than the original but that's what makes it fun.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Coolness Averted posted:

You heard it folks, the game is doomed. Trust the person who has run upwards of 6 missions including 2 on the medium difficulty.

I said nothing of the sort. I said that the gunplay is bland. There are, what, 10 primary guns in the game? Half of them are (weirdly subpar) variants of the others. And basically all of them are functionally interchangeable. Guess which gun I’m describing: spammable up close to deal with bugs in your face, pretty accurate at mid-range if you ADS, reloads quickly, useless against armor.

And then there’s the secondaries.

That’s not “lol game dead,” that’s asking the devs to put in some more interesting guns and/or change the existing ones to differentiate them more. The SMG should not be an assault rifle but better. The Breaker should not be an assault rifle but better.

e: and the Scythe should not be an assault rifle but worse

megane fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Feb 19, 2024

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

i agree a chainsaw support weapon would be dope as hell

I would kill for a thunderhammer where the main swing doesn't take ammo but the alt fire uses ammo and is like a Reinhardt earthshatter

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

megane posted:

Opinion discarded, the Scythe kicks rear end

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.
Is the game still broken/at server capacity on ps5

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

LazyMaybe posted:

I'm sure most of you have seen, at least once in a while, hosed up bug model vertex glitches. ala this:

I have literally never seen that? And when I have in the past in other games it was my video card dying.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Alkydere posted:

The Autocannon is great as it deals with medium stuff and has enough ammo to nail the light stuff just for shits and giggles.

It goes great...until it doesn't and you hope there's someone with EATs, Recoiless, or the homing rocket in your squad. Or, you know, hasn't burned their eagle/orbital strikes.

Yeah it feels good when you're part of a 4-man and you can just pick good targets and reload when you want and be nice and casual but when you're scrambling around deep in the poo poo and half your team is dead and there are 4 chargers and 30 little dudes on your rear end I find myself wishing i had taken a shield or laser drone + railgun/GL/EATS instead

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

megane posted:

I said nothing of the sort. I said that the gunplay is bland. There are, what, 10 primary guns in the game? Half of them are (weirdly subpar) variants of the others. And basically all of them are functionally interchangeable. Guess which gun I’m describing: spammable up close to deal with bugs in your face, pretty accurate at mid-range if you ADS, reloads quickly, useless against armor.

That’s not “lol game dead,” that’s asking the devs to put in some more interesting guns and/or change the existing ones to differentiate them more. The SMG should not be an assault rifle but better. The Breaker should not be an assault rifle but better.

In general, you should be minimizing the amount of time you are shooting trash mobs with primaries. Also, there's nothing bland about the Autocannon or most of the support guns.

The gameplay is basically: work your way to an objective avoiding contact with patrols if at all possible, bomb the poo poo out the objective, complete it, and then move on to the next one. The game effectively punishes you for sitting still plinking at reinforcements. Just break contact and move on.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

BitBasher posted:

I have literally never seen that? And when I have in the past in other games it was my video card dying.

I’ve seen it a number of times in HD2 in the few missions I was able to get into before the weekend

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000

Coolness Averted posted:

I apologize if I caused any confusion with my post, I meant that I blow up outposts with eagles and then fight whatever trash is left so I can collect the samples.

I mentioned this because it seemed like a previous poster was blowing up outposts and moving on. It feels like its the main source for samples for me right now.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

:911: DEMOCRACY!!! :911:

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Bandire posted:

Just break contact and move on.

Yea, I find this is a habit a lot of new players don't even try to break. I keep saying "Just Hit Da Bricks. Leave. They can't stop you."

Edit: Also breaking the habit of opening up on patrols 100m away. Stop that!

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

megane posted:

RE this and your previous pos
This game has a lot of Magicka's DNA in that a lot of it is just. giving you a wacky toybox of stuff to use to have fun with your friends. So your choice of stratagems/guns is less about what is the coldly most effective (except at the highest difficulties), and more about what you'd like to use. Your experience in a given game is then hewn from which toys you've pulled out of the box, because of how they impact the battlefield (i.e. your. friend puts down a minefield that makes things more treacherous, your napalm strike is satisfying but requires you and your buds to coordinate so people don't get murdered, etc). So it's really a game about getting creative with your pals in how you tackle objectives, in a way that is usually delightful and full of unexpected consequence.

But also they've made it clear they'll be adding new stuff on the reg, so this all seems plenty to go on at launch.

But also the gunplay is really fun and satisfying for me OP so maybe the milsim shooter crossed with an arcade twinstick shooter just isn't for you

edit: I also really do think this is a controller game, even on PC

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Feb 19, 2024

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Fought my first Bile titan last night. Killed it with an EAT and the body proceeded to fall over and crush me to death.

10/10

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

just finished my first robit vietnam

goty

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

CainFortea posted:

I keep saying "Just Hit Da Bricks. Leave. They can't stop you."

Tell that to this fucker

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

People who take video games seriously and only use things that are strictly better than other things are the reason video games loving suck nowadays. This game, thankfully, has a bunch of variations of each thing that are all roughly as good as each other but are usually more situationally better so just do whatever and you'll be fine. Who gives a poo poo that the laser cannon and autocannon are stronger than the flamethrower, the flamethrower is cool and strong in some situations.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Away all Goats posted:

Fought my first Bile titan last night. Killed it with an EAT and the body proceeded to fall over and crush me to death.

10/10

took out my first bile titan by reinforcing through its head.

the screams of victory were heard all over my building.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

The Grumbles posted:

Absolutely not. There's already enough stuff to hit with m+k, i'm not gonna use even fewer buttons!

Away all Goats posted:

10/10

We were doing some suicide runs last night and a lvl 2 dropped in on us right when there was a breach and 2 bile titans showed up and that was really funny.

Bogus Adventure posted:

Tell that to this fucker

I mean, yea you shoot them as you are running away. Then you keep shooting them if they show up. When they jump at you it's actually the easiest to shoot them cause at the apex of their jump they're really easy to shoot. But even these guys if you get enough distance you can break LOS and contact and they'll go sniff around where they last saw you and eventually gently caress off.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

So I found out that your hellpod won't kill those automaton towers with the tank cannon on top.

Also that being prone up there seems to be the safest place to go AFK, so if by sheer dumb luck a respawn drops you onto one, you can go take a quick mid-mission break while you wait for your stratagems to recharge :v:

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

CainFortea posted:

Absolutely not. There's already enough stuff to hit with m+k, i'm not gonna use even fewer buttons!

Do give it a go, if only for the excellent haptics/vibration implementation. You get haptics for things like people shooting guns near you, in addition to all the explosions, and it all feels really well tuned on my xbox series controller. I hear it's even better on dualsense. it all just makes the whole battlefield feel much more chaotic.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Bandire posted:

In general, you should be minimizing the amount of time you are shooting trash mobs with primaries. Also, there's nothing bland about the Autocannon or most of the support guns.

The gameplay is basically: work your way to an objective avoiding contact with patrols if at all possible, bomb the poo poo out the objective, complete it, and then move on to the next one. The game effectively punishes you for sitting still plinking at reinforcements. Just break contact and move on.

I know. I've played this for 40 hours already. But "getting trapped in endless gunfights is bad" does not require that all primaries be the same gun painted 8 slightly different colors.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

The Grumbles posted:

But also the gunplay is really fun and satisfying for me OP so maybe the milsim shooter crossed with an arcade twinstick shooter just isn't for you

its insane to me how many of my buttons this sort of crossover in gun handling pushes for me. I think calling the guns in this boring is a bit weird when stuff like counter-strike and COD exists but heyho different strokes

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

jokes posted:

People who take video games seriously and only use things that are strictly better than other things are the reason video games loving suck nowadays. This game, thankfully, has a bunch of variations of each thing that are all roughly as good as each other but are usually more situationally better so just do whatever and you'll be fine. Who gives a poo poo that the laser cannon and autocannon are stronger than the flamethrower, the flamethrower is cool and strong in some situations.

:emptyquote:

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I know I'm often confused as to which primary I'm shooting. Is it the scythe? Maybe it's a breaker? Oh, I guess it could be a diligence! Oooh, maybe it's a scorcher.

There's just no way to tell they're all so identical!

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

LuiCypher posted:

1000x this. I can't tell you how many times I've been TK'd by the Eagle Cluster Bomb. I swear to Liberty that in one mission, at least 10 of our total 20 reinforcements were a result of one guy clusterbombing the team and the moron did not seem to make the connection that every time they used it at least one or more teammates wound up dead - I guess they thought killing three bugs was worth it.

the game needs to flash "YOU JUST KILLED SOMEONE YOU BIGGLE DOOFUS" across the screen when this happens, people just aren't learning

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Potato Salad posted:

the game needs to flash "YOU JUST KILLED SOMEONE YOU BIGGLE DOOFUS" across the screen when this happens, people just aren't learning

Yes but for the opposite reason. When I kill a friendly I want to see it so I can make jokes about it

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

jokes posted:

Who gives a poo poo if the X and Y are stronger than the Z, the Z is cool and strong in some situations.

this is the crux of it.

there are 40+ stratagems in the game; you can only take 4 with you.

each mission should dictate which 4. switch it up.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm going to kill my teammates with the Eagle every mission and you're going to like it

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

megane posted:

I know. I've played this for 40 hours already. But "getting trapped in endless gunfights is bad" does not require that all primaries be the same gun painted 8 slightly different colors.

I do think this focus on primaries is partly what is losing people. To be honest my support is almost always my actual primary, my primary my “get off me” side arm, and my side arm is for shooting up at a bile titan in defiance as it steps on me.

Like I think it is a genuine weakness that there are not more actually meaningfully different primaries, just not a very big one and one that will obviously get better over time.

Also I am late on the fire shotgun debate but would like to offer this, when a team mate has one and is laying down a field of fire with one it looks so loving cool.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

CainFortea posted:

Autocannon goes boom. They never even heard it. Just a SPLAT somewhere over that ridge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

CainFortea posted:

my inability to keep from doing this will doom me at higher difficulty I know it