Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
How are you all finding groups? I can’t find any on PC. I just end up going out solo and getting my rear end kicked by robots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

LuiCypher posted:

They're easier now and are fairly manageable if you are able to clear missions at that difficulty (and understand that Mortar Sentries are OP in that scenario).

The issue was that previously even at Challenging they were dropping hilarious numbers of Hulks of both varieties alongside hordes of Devastators (especially the rocket ones). 1-2 Hulks takes some coordination to manage as a team, now multiply that by 4-5x coming from all different directions with lots of Rocket Devastators that can easily one-shot you and your Sentry emplacements on top of a withering hail of firepower that the regular grunts are churning your way that are really good at throwing off your aim if they so much as graze you. And even when you took out those Hulks, the game did not let up. The rate at which they were dropping new units was completely unmanageable, and you could not find a safe spot to settle down for more than a few seconds because there would always be another group directly behind you.

Now that I think about it every time the group dominated someone had a mortar sentry. I should unlock that!

Yeah the rocket devastators are real bastards. I’ve been trying to master maps on medium before moving to higher difficulty but keep forgetting to up the difficulty. Time to try hard.

:lol:

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Awkward Davies posted:

How are you all finding groups? I can’t find any on PC. I just end up going out solo and getting my rear end kicked by robots.

Join the discord, join the Goondivers 2 Steam group.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Quick tip, don't drop a Hellbomb too close to a building. After I typed in the code on the panel, I was stuck in the building and just had to blow up with it... for democracy.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Should I join the second discord link in the OP? I only see a general HD chat thing there and the first link is invalid.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

TaurusTorus posted:

Hell yeah

Edit: First discord link is expired FYI

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Here's a link to the first Discord (PS Goons) that will not expire: https://discord.gg/PW5TYbkAbC

OP please update to this link if you see this tia

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

jokes posted:

People who take video games seriously and only use things that are strictly better than other things are the reason video games loving suck nowadays. This game, thankfully, has a bunch of variations of each thing that are all roughly as good as each other but are usually more situationally better so just do whatever and you'll be fine. Who gives a poo poo that the laser cannon and autocannon are stronger than the flamethrower, the flamethrower is cool and strong in some situations.

I don't know why it's "taking video games too seriously" to suggest that it would be cool if some of the weaker guns could kill things better. Like would you actually be upset if the devs went "you know what, they have a point, we're gonna up the damage/range/penetration/etc. of these guns, go kill some bugs soldiers"? It would be cool if the flamethrower staggered bugs or something so it could feel more effective. Would that "loving suck" for you?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Crows Turn Off posted:

Quick tip, don't drop a Hellbomb too close to a building. After I typed in the code on the panel, I was stuck in the building and just had to blow up with it... for democracy.

I had this happen but not as bad. It was angled in such a way where I could use it but the camera glitched and wouldn't let me see the input code. I had to blindly guess/memorize it. Once activated my character stumbled out of the building and i gained control so I could escape.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

TaurusTorus posted:

Can you link to the Steam group? I just did a search and only found the original Goondivers group. Or is that the same one we're using for HD2 as well?

I don't suppose they've turned matchmaking back on yet, have they? Looking forward to getting on in a few hours here.

All goon Helldivers are welcome to launch from my ship, the Emperor of Morality.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

I don't think primaries are meant to be strong, and even calling them primaries feels like a misnomer. They are usually your third best option for killing stuff. Unless you are carrying around one of the rocket launchers, you might have your support gun in your hands more than half the time. Primaries are more like your basic attack/resource builder in other genres, and as you get better skills/gear most builds use them less and less.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Stuck in login queue, which is supposedly actually a lottery? I got right in like 2 hours ago, which makes me think it prioritizes you when you're first launch.

I really hope they get this resolved either with more server capacity, or at least kicking AFKers since apparently that's what tons of people are now doing to avoid login queue.

TaurusTorus posted:

I don't see that steam group when searching :(

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Kitfox88 posted:

I got a Core(TM) i7-7700K with 24 gigs of ram and a GTX 1080 Ti, is it even worth grabbing or should I just put that 40 bucks towards my planned new computer build for this fall? :v:

My HTPC laptop is a gen 8 i7, 8GB, max-q 1060, and it's running the game fine at 1080p60 on mostly medium settings. I guess "fine" is relative, but it's not a slideshow or anything.

Baby T. Love
Aug 5, 2009

jokes posted:

People who take video games seriously and only use things that are strictly better than other things are the reason video games loving suck nowadays. This game, thankfully, has a bunch of variations of each thing that are all roughly as good as each other but are usually more situationally better so just do whatever and you'll be fine. Who gives a poo poo that the laser cannon and autocannon are stronger than the flamethrower, the flamethrower is cool and strong in some situations.

I want to use lots of different things but it's not that some things are 10% better and I'm only going to use the best, it's that some things feel incredibly less effective (the flamethrower being one) to where it actually feels bad to use them because I can't avoid noticing how weak they feel at killing the bugs. I want to find the Flamethrower's niche and have fun filling it to its full potential and every time I try I fail miserably.

P.S. Everyone should play how they want and try to avoid needlessly antagonizing each other.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

CainFortea posted:

Edit: Also breaking the habit of opening up on patrols 100m away. Stop that!

someone's not using a mortar sentry :colbert:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

my friend and his flamethrower (hi hambrose, you!) cleared a bug swarm before I had even finished reloading my primary, i wish it had darktide's flamer range at least. it's also king at the egg nest missions.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

HD2 key bindings often distinguish between a tap, press, long press, hold, and double tap of a button, all as different functions. check in your bindings that switching to your shoulder support weapon isn't set up as one of those. there's also an option in the menu for 'classic HD' weapon switching which is tap for switch to support, hold for switch to sidearm.

Also the RR comes with a backpack of shells that can be slowly reloaded on your own, or the backpack can be worn by a friend for team assisted reloads.

i figured it out lol, I picked up the backpack but not the actual weapon lol

PacoPepe
Apr 25, 2010
I personally enjoy the slow drip of weapons, it gives you a chance to try them out, and I actually like fighting with primaries.

I feel like I've grown to despise the loot systems in most games, stopping every 5 minutes to see that "this gear is 1% better at this, but 1% worse at that....oh boy should I keep it? " kind of thing.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Man I would just love to actually play the game...

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Phenotype posted:

Can you link to the Steam group? I just did a search and only found the original Goondivers group. Or is that the same one we're using for HD2 as well?

I don't suppose they've turned matchmaking back on yet, have they? Looking forward to getting on in a few hours here.

All goon Helldivers are welcome to launch from my ship, the Emperor of Morality.

https://steamcommunity.com/groups/goondivers2

I don't know why it's squirrly sometimes, it's supposed to be a public group.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I was about to complain how I'd waited for the weekend to be over and it's still queueing me, but I suppose everyone's trying to play this afternoon now that it's president's day. Maybe tomorrow!

Baby T. Love
Aug 5, 2009

ijyt posted:

my friend and his flamethrower (hi hambrose, you!) cleared a bug swarm before I had even finished reloading my primary, i wish it had darktide's flamer range at least. it's also king at the egg nest missions.

When I shoot the flamethrower at a mixed swarm (which I can only do from extremely close range), the medium ones keep walking toward me faster than I can walk backwards and attack me, so I have to run away. A swarm of only small enemies is very rare and a magazine of the Breaker can take out 15 enemies in a swarm of only smalls, so I'm not sure if that qualifies as a niche in my book. Some range on the FT would help it a lot. I think the Arc Thrower outcompetes it significantly with its 35-40m range, infinite ammo, and ability to better clear mixed swarms which are more common. The FT might be the best at killing eggs but I wouldn't use up the support slot just for that.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
It's crazy that some of y'all are having such a hard time getting on to the game. I've had basically zero issues at all finding games this weekend. I wonder if it has anything to do with location and how many servers/players are near you?

Edit: it sucks that y'all are having a hard time with it cuz the game is extremely fun and good.

Edit2: had a ridiculously hard "challenging" mission against the bugs that basically only spawned chargers and stalkers. It did not go well.

dog nougat fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Feb 19, 2024

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

dog nougat posted:

It's crazy that some of y'all are having such a hard time getting on to the game. I've had basically zero issues at all finding games this weekend. I wonder if it has anything to do with location and how many servers/players are near you?

Edit: it sucks that y'all are having a hard time with it cuz the game is extremely fun and good.

Edit2: had a ridiculously hard "challenging" mission against the bugs that basically only spawned chargers and stalkers. It did not go well.

Works on my machine

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

They should personalize every death in the after-mission screen like the XCOM memorial

“Killed by danger close ordnance fighting for freedom”

“Saved his fellow helldivers by drawing enemy fire”

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

dog nougat posted:

I am going to hunt you down and take your server slot. :orks:

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

They should personalize every death in the after-mission screen like the XCOM memorial

“Killed by danger close ordnance fighting for freedom”

“Saved his fellow helldivers by drawing enemy fire”

"Killed by own grenade"

"Killed entire squad with mortar sentry"

Baby T. Love
Aug 5, 2009

dog nougat posted:

You might know this already and it's likely already been said but PSA: Stalkers only ever spawn out of secondary objectives called Stalker Lairs which look just like normal bug holes. When you see a stalker it can be good to run in that direction and look for the hole to close ASAP. They are often near the edge of the mission zone and pointed outward so they can be tough to see from a distance.

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000

dog nougat posted:

I was you up until this last weekend when karma showed me just how bad it could be.

The desync is super weird and not intuitive, showing 0 helldivers and I can't quickplay or anything.

And I start the mission and immediately my crew fills up, or I dick around for 2 minutes in a mission and suddenly helldivers start joining.

I log out and rejoin on friends to try and re-sync and that sometimes works.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Baby T. Love posted:

You might know this already and it's likely already been said but PSA: Stalkers only ever spawn out of secondary objectives called Stalker Lairs which look just like normal bug holes. When you see a stalker it can be good to run in that direction and look for the hole to close ASAP. They are often near the edge of the mission zone and pointed outward so they can be tough to see from a distance.

Yea this. Even when we're doing the really hard stuff just trying to get super rare samples and extract we will hunt down a stalker if we see one and find it's home and destroy it from orbit. Trying to be a sneaky boi on a map with stalkers is a non-starter.

Also when you spot stalkers that's probably the direction the nearest lair is. I say nearest cause sometimes the map has 2!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

AFKers have been declared Unpatriotic.

https://x.com/Pilestedt/status/1759386313327841423?s=20

They should have the AFK timer be a lengthy "surface to orbit defense countermeasure" Stratagem Popup on the bridge. If you don't do it, you get logged out. Other people on the same planet get to watch another Super Destroyer out there explode.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Galaga Galaxian posted:

They should have the AFK timer be a lengthy "surface to orbit defense countermeasure" Stratagem Popup on the bridge. If you don't do it, you get logged out. Other people on the same planet get to watch another Super Destroyer out there explode.

That's a pretty great idea. Have the ship go to red alert and you have to enter some long code like at the evac terminal to perform evasive maneuvers to avoid incoming fire. That might take more dev time than they can spare right now, but that would be an incredible way to implement an AFK timer in a way that stays in character.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Baby T. Love posted:

I did not. It may have also been my first time encountering the fuckers, the drat tentacle attack that sends you flying is so goddamn annoying. I feel like my squad was ill prepared for what we encountered. I should've been running a shotgun instead of my smg. The autocannon was still good for the mission, but I feel like having an EAT call-in would've been better for the amount of charger spam the game threw at us.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

dog nougat posted:

Can't speak for the super high difficulties, but on lower ones stalkers can only spawn from their hole, so it's worth blowing it up as soon as possible.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

dog nougat posted:

"Killed by own grenade"

"Killed entire squad with mortar sentry"

Identified as a traitor by artillery

Galaga Galaxian posted:

:sickos:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

you can already see other destroyers exploding in orbit :ssh:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Baby T. Love posted:

A swarm of only small enemies is very rare

no it isn't

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Whoever's badtalking the Slugger, get out. The Slugger owns bones. It's got pretty harshly limited ammo, but it can do a ton of work with what it's got. It's got medium armor pen, so can direct-kill armored bugs. It's got enough direct damage to stagger Stalkers and save your life. It can one-shot medium bots in the head, and three-shot Butchers in the lower torso, which is a dead easy shot. It's got enough damage to stagger lock anything not named Hulk - saving your rear end again from Butcher swarms and stunlocking Stalkers. It can crack Charger legs if you hit them from behind. It can open those shipping containers with one convenient shot. It's got a nice pinpoint red dot and the accuracy to nail shots as far out as you need. (fuuuuuuuck then Railgun sight) It can damage turret/tank/Hulk vents. It's fully responsive up close, not lagging off of your sights. Coming from regular Suicide+ runs, please do not sleep on this b e a s t.

Edit: It is true that you need to be a little more careful with Hunter swarms, but at high levels you or someone you love is running the beam drone. Between that and being able to one-tap them Hunters aren't a thing I've ever worried about.

raverrn fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Feb 19, 2024

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

ijyt posted:

The flamethrower is the king of weapons!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

dog nougat posted:

I did not. It may have also been my first time encountering the fuckers, the drat tentacle attack that sends you flying is so goddamn annoying. I feel like my squad was ill prepared for what we encountered. I should've been running a shotgun instead of my smg. The autocannon was still good for the mission, but I feel like having an EAT call-in would've been better for the amount of charger spam the game threw at us.

You can do both. Run around with the AC, and then call in the LAW as needed. Grab it, boop stuff, pick up your AC again and continue dispensing 30mm of Liberty.