Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Mailer posted:

I must have memory holed this stuff because I've played through P3 three times in various incarnations and I don't remember the links being this bad. I'm not even talking about content, just that the correct responses are are all the worst ones and then suddenly in rank 9/10 it all turns out ok.

Outside of a handful of exceptions, social links in all the Persona games have never been particularly great. Kind of funny how they've pretty much become the defining characteristic of the series in spite of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Bland posted:

Outside of a handful of exceptions, social links in all the Persona games have never been particularly great. Kind of funny how they've pretty much become the defining characteristic of the series in spite of that.

Well, that and the Pokemon-collection to fight.

But the key thing about social links is the consistency and variety. If we ignore core party members, any central questgiver (so Igor, ME2's TIM, etc.) and the main villain how many RPGs can you name that have a dozen or so separate character whose primary relationship to you isn't "questgiver" (yes, each S-link has a quest but that's not normally the primary relationship) and who have enough depth to the writing that all dozen go through a complete character arc and have a dozen scenes? And in addition to this they all have different personalities (because each is inspired by a different arcana).

This gives the Persona (3+) games a dozen side characters everyone can remember and that have at least two and on a good day three dimensions to the character - and the S-link system points you to keep going back to them. It doesn't matter that most of them are mediocre (and a few are genuinely bad); they show up in a way that they do in almost no other RPG. And a dozen 2+ dimensional side-characters (in addition to the normal array of side characters and villains) means that the world feels populated in depth.

How many other RPGs can you think of that do this? The party is normally pretty decent in any RPG as are the main region rulers/bosses. But, with the exceptions of Baldur's Gate 3, Witcher 3, and Hades (which copied this part of Persona's homework) how many others that neither rule a region nor fight with or against the party and are present for more than about a scene? If I look at the normally extremely well regarded ME2 I can recall about a dozen squadmates, TIM in the Igor-role, some region boss equivalents (even ME2 Aria or the Quarian admirals aren't really any deeper than a P3R palace ruler), and as genuine side characters ... Conrad Verner, Kal'Regar, and punchable reporter. ME2 is written well enough that I can recall other characters such as "Biotic God Volus" and "Quarian on Citadel struggling with pilgramage" - but these are one dimensional characters, basically present for a single scene.

This means that we have a dozen characters per Persona game that have lives that don't revolve around our protagonist and aren't just waiting for the protagonist to show up and offer you a quest on first meeting (you need to rank them up half a dozen times before they will ask for something) and that you can see continue with their lives. So they feel much more like real people. And this means that even if the individual links aren't always great the structural effect makes the characters more real and with it the world.

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

lmao the fusion fail caught me off guard and got a nice snort out of me

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jon Irenicus posted:

lmao the fusion fail caught me off guard and got a nice snort out of me

P3R has one of the top tier fusion fail animations, yeah.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/Stormowl0/status/1759358728334110782?s=20

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

they removed the good part of that Link and left all the awful parts of it unchanged, lmao

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
that link pwns

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
toriumi basically going through the stages of grief in like 30 seconds when she finds out at the end of the game lmao

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

that link pwns

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

I'm not dissing you for not being this Twitter brainrotted but my red flag radar went off when OP was complaining about zoomers specifically so I looked and the same account is crying about Guilty Gear "retconning" Bridget to be trans lmao

mycot fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Feb 19, 2024

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
X, the everything website, has done it again.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
They also think Elphelt's Strive design is a downgrade so you know they're diseased.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

its funny seeing people call elphelt's strive design 'censorship' when they made her thighs the size of her waist

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

strive truly breaks people's brains, god bless it

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

mycot posted:

I'm not dissing you for not being this Twitter brainrotted but my red flag radar went off when OP was complaining about zoomers specifically so I looked and the same account is crying about Guilty Gear "retconning" Bridget to be trans lmao

People are so cool.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Endorph posted:

its funny seeing people call elphelt's strive design 'censorship' when they made her thighs the size of her waist
Thinking sleeveless turtlenecks is less fanservicey than cleavage smh

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i know its probably some guys who are mad for hosed up reasons and not a jab at those guys, but the bridget dlc being tagged 'psychological horror' on steam is a great bit

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

bridget's fun to play too

wait what thread am i in

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bridget is a nice girl, it's fine.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
We need a new Arena to be on topic again

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I'm at the end of June with my social stats all at 4ish. I've maxed out the Chariot and Hermit arcanas and am mostly focusing on the school S-Links since I know you start having less school days near the end and have the two night S-links unlocked. Also ignoring Kenji because I don't like him since I unlocked the Gourmet King. I know that Fuuka, Yukari, and Mitsuru need 6 in one of the stats to unlock their S-links, so should I just focus on getting those maxed at night for now and not worry about any other night activity? I've heard there's a dating site URL in this version so I'm not too worried about Mitsuru's late S-link unlock but I'd like to max at least her out in this playthrough even if I can't get Fuuka or Yakari maxed, mostly wondering how to plan out night activities.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mr E posted:

I'm at the end of June with my social stats all at 4ish. I've maxed out the Chariot and Hermit arcanas and am mostly focusing on the school S-Links since I know you start having less school days near the end and have the two night S-links unlocked. Also ignoring Kenji because I don't like him since I unlocked the Gourmet King. I know that Fuuka, Yukari, and Mitsuru need 6 in one of the stats to unlock their S-links, so should I just focus on getting those maxed at night for now and not worry about any other night activity? I've heard there's a dating site URL in this version so I'm not too worried about Mitsuru's late S-link unlock but I'd like to max at least her out in this playthrough even if I can't get Fuuka or Yakari maxed, mostly wondering how to plan out night activities.

Generally for night activities:

You want to wait until a day or so before the deadline to do Tartarus, because people will get lost in there over the time frame and you don't want to have to make multiple trips if you can avoid it.
Otherwise you probably want to prioritize: Unique Events -> Friendship Events (anything that can unlock new skills) -> Raising Social Stats >Night-based S. Links -> Gardening(if not unlocking skills)/arcade machines. The links are so easy to max out and you have so many chances that it isn't worth prioritizing them unless you're starting to run out of time. Once you unlock the dating site then you should rush finishing any social stats you don't have maxed and then use it to boost your S. links as needed unless you need to Tartarus.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I got the will to drive myself sleepless
Generally speaking the best route to go is to max out Courage first, Charm second, and then Academics last. Not only is that in order of least points needed to most points needed, that's also the order that the links that require maxed stats become available in. (Max courage for Fuuka in June, Max Charm for Yukari in July, and Max Academics for Mitsuru in October which is way more than enough time to max it) You can pretty comfortably dedicate night activities to developing stats, excepting for the occasional night time Link Event, there's really not much else to do at night. The Devil Link always advances one rank regardless of the dialogue choices you make, and you have plenty of spare time to work on the Tower link at your leisure, so they're not big factors.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Mr E posted:

I'd just eat the specials at the strip mall and check the arcade whenever you have the night clear, and remember there are generally a week of study sessions before exams that will up your knowledge too- you don't need 6 knowledge for anything but Mitsuru's confidant and that starts late November. There are more than enough free nights and group activities to get your stats to 6 well in advance (along with finishing Mutatsu and Tanaka). Don't slack off on dorm activities though, since doing enough of them gives significant buffs to your crew

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Doing well in your tests does require a minimum level of academics (2-4-5-max respectively) which can get you some nice prizes but it isn't a huge priority and if you're at rank 4 in June you're well on track to meet that.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Each exam also has a couple night slots before it where some/all of the group is studying in the lounge and if you join them you get a ridiculous number of academics points.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Doing well in your tests does require a minimum level of academics (2-4-5-max respectively) which can get you some nice prizes but it isn't a huge priority and if you're at rank 4 in June you're well on track to meet that.

I wasn't sure of this but I was pretty positive I remembered this being the case at least in 5R if not P3 FES/portable so I got to rank 4 the week I'm in which is a week before the second semester tests. Sounds like I should keep doing party member events when I can (just got Yukari's extra ability) and getting courage/charm up first like I thought since academics isn't needed til November. Was focusing on Courage right now since Fuuka just started appearing in the hall. From what I was reading Tower seems to also upgrade at one rank per visit if you pick the right dialogue options so I'm not too worried about the night S-links. I'm pretty close to finishing Strength and Justice so I can focus on the clubs, gourmet king, and fuuka soon. I "wasted" a night on getting to the month's roadblock in tartarus before I realized there were missing people but went back before I quit last night to rescue the three available people. Also need to figure out when to slot Hanged Man and finishing up Hierophant somewhere but not concerned about those yet. I doubt I'll max out all the links anyway but I should get pretty close at least. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Sydin posted:

If you're into musou games check out Strikers, it's a direct sequel with even better writing and a lot more opportunities for the group to just hang around as friends. Only caveat is it was developed prior to Royal so it doesn't acknowledge all the stuff that game added like Kasumi or Maruki.

The good thing about Strikers is that it's only "sorta" a musou game. I don't like musou games much but still enjoyed Strikers, because most of your damage just comes from selecting abilities from a menu.

It's a bit silly gameplay-wise since you can get indefinite SP regen items and basically just spam attacks constantly, but it's still fun and the plot is good.

Neeksy posted:

Somehow my first SL Maxing was Devil.
I wonder if there's something wrong with me.

Devil is interesting just for the novelty in a series where most S-links feel kinda same-y.

ApplesandOranges posted:

I think my completion progress has been.

Kaz > Nozomi > Maiko > Maya > Yukari > Mutatsu > Tanaka > Yuko > Bebe.

As an aside, does anyone know if you’re forced to join the track team at some point? Since there’s a mandatory track event during summer and Kaz is part of some mandatory story scenes like Kenji (who you’re also forced to start a link with).

I was wondering this same thing - if you don't join do you also lose the chance at Mamoru and not have to do the training for that competition? Also Yuko for that matter.?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Mr E posted:

I wasn't sure of this but I was pretty positive I remembered this being the case at least in 5R if not P3 FES/portable so I got to rank 4 the week I'm in which is a week before the second semester tests. Sounds like I should keep doing party member events when I can (just got Yukari's extra ability) and getting courage/charm up first like I thought since academics isn't needed til November. Was focusing on Courage right now since Fuuka just started appearing in the hall. From what I was reading Tower seems to also upgrade at one rank per visit if you pick the right dialogue options so I'm not too worried about the night S-links. I'm pretty close to finishing Strength and Justice so I can focus on the clubs, gourmet king, and fuuka soon. I "wasted" a night on getting to the month's roadblock in tartarus before I realized there were missing people but went back before I quit last night to rescue the three available people. Also need to figure out when to slot Hanged Man and finishing up Hierophant somewhere but not concerned about those yet. I doubt I'll max out all the links anyway but I should get pretty close at least. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Summer is a great time to finish both of the SLs you mentioned because you’re locked out of the school ones so it’s just them, the Sunday-only ones, and I think Nozomi.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

DC Murderverse posted:

Summer is a great time to finish both of the SLs you mentioned because you’re locked out of the school ones so it’s just them, the Sunday-only ones, and I think Nozomi.

nozomi continues to show up at the mall and be fat in his school uniform during the summer, yes

frankly i'm not sure he even actually goes to gekkoukan

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

cock hero flux posted:

nozomi continues to show up at the mall and be fat in his school uniform during the summer, yes

frankly i'm not sure he even actually goes to gekkoukan

It’s funny that he starts out unlikeable and then keeps getting more unlikeable to the point of being pathetic at which point you start to feel genuine sympathy for him

Although here in the year 2024 we know the actual ending to his story:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nozomi is funny because he's a dude who genuinely takes the lessons he learned to heart and improves himself to an incredible degree to the point the last we heard of him he's being respected and has written a loving book in like 2-3 months. He is apparently just legitimately talented, he's just a sad little poo poo.

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

study? no I haven't studied since April. I just eat fish constantly and watch TV with my dog. perfect scores

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jon Irenicus posted:

study? no I haven't studied since April. I just eat fish constantly and watch TV with my dog. perfect scores

"Wow, he's just so... charming. How does it he do?"
*Makoto slamming 50 tons of ramen into his gob every single night*

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Makoto's skin is literally wet and glistening with the ramen collagens...Yukari can't resist it

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I love the idea of the MC never studying and just eating fish every single night and doing better than all of their peers so I will never study (outside of the group study events).

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

the omega-3..........

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

It catches up to Makoto by the end of the game when it turns out he has insane mercury poisoning.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Janissary Hop posted:

It catches up to Makoto by the end of the game when it turns out he has insane mercury poisoning.

"Makoto.. he's dead!"
"Impossible... did he sacrifice himself to save us all?"
"No, it turns out that staying up all night eating nothing but ramen and takeout for an entire year made his heart explode!"
"drat it... drat it. He was too brave... too smart!"
"At least his corpse looks great."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

I wonder if they are gonna age up the new crew in P6 (whenever that happens)