Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Definitely bring some cash just in case. Generally rates are better if you exchange in Japan. ATMs are good, or there are plenty of exchange places in Tokyo. I used one in Ueno Station that took such a tiny cut I don't know how they even stay in business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

Alan_Shore posted:

Being stuck with no money sounds very bad so I'll just order some here, and over there I'll use Wise to pay for stuff cos you get a great exchange rate and you don't get cut off

Yea I've been loading up my Wise card once or twice a month to bring with me when I show up. Figure it'd make for a nice little travel fund when I'm there and can just pull cash out of an ATM with it.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Dai-Ichi Hotel Ryogoku

I've stayed here and personally, it's my favourite place so far. I got a Skytree facing room on the highest floor, and I didn't want to go to sleep because I enjoyed the view so much. I also liked that the entrance to the Toei subway is right underneath the hotel.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Should I wear a mask around Japan?

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Yo mamma so fat when she wears a mask around japan she wears a mask aroooound japan

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Alan_Shore posted:

Should I wear a mask around Japan?

Do what the locals do. If most people are wearing on a train, then wear one. When outside you don't need them. Just be respectful of others. You are a guest, after all.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Not getting sick on vacation is cool. I masked indoors when not eating/drinking. I didn't outside.

The rules about required masking ended a while ago, if that's the question.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Just didn't want to upset people by not masking up! I'll wear them when indoors in that case.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Masks are also nice for: pollen allergies, resting bitchface, butterface, bad teeth, yawning, zits, and sun protection.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
The general rule is if you're sick or coughing/sneezing from allergies then you should be wearing a mask. Otherwise you're free to do what you want unless there's a sign or something.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Alan_Shore posted:

Just didn't want to upset people by not masking up! I'll wear them when indoors in that case.
People do not care if you wear one or not.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I can't wait to see what the hell a three year renovation looks like at the Edo Tokyo museum, next year-ish.

Going to laugh when I walk in and it looks identical to how I remembered it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Hope they didn't gently caress it up, that museum was cool.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hell yeah it was. If anything I hope they just expand it. It seemed perfectly fine when I went last before COVID -- not sure what needed a three year renovation, but I'll concede to not being informed about every last thing that goes on at Edo Tokyo museum :|

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

mask indoors or on transit right now for me still, that still feels like the safest compromise in Tokyo.

some kinda jackal posted:

I can't wait to see what the hell a three year renovation looks like at the Edo Tokyo museum, next year-ish.

Going to laugh when I walk in and it looks identical to how I remembered it.

I guess we went not long before it closed, but seeing some of the more recent artifacts in the modern section -- specifically the video of the Windows 95 launch -- caused a bit of psychic damage.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
The vast majority of people don't care.

My mother in law, however, does. When she came to Osaka a few months ago to help out after our second child was born, she mentioned several times how few people were wearing masks compared to her inaka home and how she couldn't believe it.

The few people who do care about how others wear masks will almost certainly not say or do anything more than mentally tut-tut you when you pass by. That being said, I would echo the advice of other posters in the thread and personally recommend wearing a mask inside and especially on mass transit. Getting sick during a vacation sucks significantly more than normal, so why not take the precaution?

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

I don't wear a mask anywhere anymore and I haven't been asked to wear one in I don't know how long. Most people and businesses don't care either way. If you're a foreigner it's probably even more likely that no one would bother you about it.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I never wear one however when I am on the train and someone is hacking up a lung I sure wish I had one on me. If you are a tourist I would suggest brining some since you are going to be on crowded public transportation so much.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

In my experience, only certain medical institutions still insist on masks. Any place a typical tourist will go should have 0 requirements.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Guess who’s back, back again! Dad and I have a trip planned starting mid-late October, and this time my brother’s coming too. :dogcited: They’ll be doing the Kumano Kodo for a few days, then the rest of the 2+ weeks is open for planning.

Not sure what I want to do this time around. They’ll be in Wakayama for a while, but I’ll probably be elsewhere and they can just come meet me wherever I am once they’re done. I’m waffling between checking out Hokkaido, or just spending the week in Tokyo faffing about with no plans.

Any recommendations? October is festival time, right? Maybe I’ll take a ferry over to Ehime and finally go see them :v:

Also, this time I really wanna do some basic conversation/common situation practice. Last time I went, I got anxiety spikes whenever I had to order food, buy something, check in and out of a hotel, or get someone’s attention/get help with something. In the United States and in other English-speaking areas, I rely on a set of canned phrases to make common situations like those simple and predictable to handle, and that alleviates my anxiety. But I don’t have any canned phrases for Japanese, so I have to process the situation and my words on the fly and that gets me all flustered. And any canned phrases I do use, I’m not 100% confident are correct, so I’m always worried that I’m loving it up somehow and confusing everyone.

Can anyone recommend a good article or video series or something that covers the usual speech patterns and flow of both common day-to-day situations and tourist-relevant situations? I learn best by example, so I’m perfectly happy to just mimic a native speaker for any given situation.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Have you looked in the Japanese language learning thread?

But there's also a ton of "learn Japanese" channels on YouTube and I think most of them are reasonably serious, so it's most about finding someone whose production style you can enjoy. Or go watch some Japanese live streamers to hear more natural language than you get in TV and anime shows.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Not sure how far you are into learning it but, no matter what anyone anywhere tells you, do yourself a favor and learn katakana first before anything else. That's my advice.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I have basic reading and listening comprehension and I was able to get by both time I’ve gone with some off-the-cuff speaking, but I’m not confident in it. Definitely past the kana stage, though I could always use more kanji practice. Really, at this point I would need immersion and/or an educational program to pit what I know against reality. I do still have those N4-N3 practice workbooks, I could pick those up again.

I’ll post in the language thread, thanks!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'll be honest, the only way you're going to get confident in speaking it is by.. speaking it. My verbal ability plummeted -- and I mean PLUMMETED -- when I switched to online-only during COVID after doing a group class for two years. If your goal is spoken, I'll let the language thread suggest better resources, but I'd definitely look at a live tutor through italki or something.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

My language story was when I was at a hard-off in the boonies looking for records and had to use the restroom. I knew enough set phrasing to ask where it was but then the guy frantically waved me off and politely but quickly fired off sentences I couldn't process to save my life. I went through like two minutes of like "no i need to use the shitter" in the most polite japanese I could in various ways and every time he replied with something else I wasn't getting and I was fumbling with google translate like a clown with this guy being obviously politely exasperated until finally someone walked out of the bathroom and he was like "dozo" and I just hung my head in shame and high tailed it out of the store as soon as humanly possible.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Awwww yuss hope we get more Pollyanna dad stories

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I got thoroughly praised in a post office for using the right counter word for stamps and I was simultaneously intensely proud of myself and felt very stupid that the rest of my ability to speak Japanese is so bad that buying stamps seemed like a great feat.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
As a foreigner, is it possible to go to a hostess club in Tokyo just to see what is it like and not spend too much money? Or is it a guaranteed way to find yourself scammed out of tons of money? Also, is it even possible to attend one if you are not fluent in Japanese?

Maybe not the best comparison, but I visited Bangla walking street a few times during my Thailand vacation recently and, while it was interesting to see and walk through, actually entering a club and spending money there seemed crazy to me. Like, why would you willing enter into a situation where there's a high risk of losing a ton of money for not much value or being forced into a situation where you can't leave freely? Value in this case meaning conversation with someone you know you are paying just to talk and drink with you. At the end of the day, it all would seems artificial, but I guess people like paying for fantasies like that? Again, I'd be curious just to see what it's like in person, but I feel like it could get very awkward very quickly.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Feb 21, 2024

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Seems you talked yourself out of it half way through writing your post.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

As a foreigner, is it possible to go to a hostess club in Tokyo just to see what is it like and not spend too much money? Or is it a guaranteed way to find yourself scammed out of tons of money? Also, is it even possible to attend one if you are not fluent in Japanese?

I guess it depends on your definition of "too much" but it should be doable for 10000-15000 yen assuming you stay for just one or two sets and don't buy any bottles, or drinks for the girls. If you don't speak fluent Japanese, look for the information centers (無料案内所 in Japanese) and they should be able to set you up with a place that has English-speaking girls.

A good rule of thumb for Ginza is the higher the chome (5chome vs 8chome etc), the more affordable the club.

Edit: you're really unlikely to get scammed at any place run by Japanese people, but do keep in mind that hostess clubs can get really expensive really fast. Just keep things low-key and you'll be fine.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Keep in mind that hostess clubs are not strip clubs, and are also no-touching places, you go there to have conversation with a woman. The more money you spend, the more likely it is that your host will be sitting at your table rather than her other customers. Many places might straight up refuse service to foreigners. If some dude on the street is trying to get you to visit their club, I think it's safe to assume the place is a wringer. It probably won't be much fun if you can't hold a conversation.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
If you want to do a hostess club on a budget just go to a girls bar. You'll still be paying to have a girl talk to you but the atmosphere a bit more casual and it's not as pricey (but can still get expensive).

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Nah sorry talking to a girl across the counter is very different than having her sit next to you. Get the full experience.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
After one of the old tokyo goonmeets, one of the tourist goons wanted to go to a hostess bar so three of us walked around shinjuku, probably, and eventually settled on one. The tourist spent his time trying to cop a feel, the other Japan goon was sitting in the corner watching, and I spent the time shooting the poo poo with the girls... in Chinese. But they mostly talked about where to get yakiniku after their shift lol. For the record, we just went to make sure the tourist goon didn't get in trouble which was probably good because I think a few days after, there was a massive post from another goon who came to the goonmeet as a tourist about being scammed for 2k+ I think it was because even though he said he was going back to the hotel, I guess he got tempted by one of the touts and welp.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Never follow a tout, in Japan or anywhere else.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Grand Fromage posted:

Never follow a tout, in Japan or anywhere else.

Are they common elsewhere? I've never seen one before or after I visited Kabukichō, in or outside of Japan

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I followed a tout once. I was just curious why at 7am in Kabukicho a Nigerian dude was trying to get me to see "pretty ladies." I let him lead me to a building then refused to go in and walked away. I didn't feel bad about wasting his time. It was my 2nd day in town and I was pretty jet lagged so was just wandering around. I also told him no a couple times then said F it.

Ever since I just ignore those guys.

My advice: don't engage, don't make eye contact, just pretend they aren't there and they will usually leave you alone.

E: I asked where he was from, just FYI in case you wondered how I knew.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Bofast posted:

Are they common elsewhere? I've never seen one before or after I visited Kabukichō, in or outside of Japan

Yep. I've run into them in Japan, China, Hong Kong, Thailand, Cambodia, Italy.

Kabukicho/Roppongi are the highest density of them I've seen anywhere though. And the Kabukicho ones are unusually pushy.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Changing topics: what are some absolutely top-tier restaurants in Tokyo that every foodie should go to? Also, are there any Japanese food terms I should keep an ear or eye out for?

For example, I've heard words like omakase, izakaya and keiseki meals. Omakase is the one where you have the chef prepare what they'd like, right? I think that sounds absolutely delightful, but I've also heard that it's rather expensive. How come?

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Feb 22, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Changing topics: what are some absolutely top-tier restaurants in Tokyo that every foodie should go to? Also, are there any Japanese food terms I should keep an ear or eye out for?

For example, I've heard words like omakase, izakaya and keiseki meals. Omakase is the one where you have the chef prepare what they'd like, right? I think that sounds absolutely delightful, but I've also heard that it's rather expensive. How come?

Because it's catering to very rich people, which Tokyo still has plenty of. it'd be like asking "so New York and London have expensive restaurants, what's up with that?"

Izakaya are basically Japanese pubs - the kinds of food varies, many are small, shareable, less a sit-down meal and more a lot of plates shared with a group while the drinks flow. Izakaya range from dirt cheap to expensive and are found just about everywhere.

Kaiseki are traditional multi-course meals, and those will usually be fancy and expensive. there is a range (because the ones I went to as an English teacher with the school staff down in Kyushu aren't the same as nicer ones at ryokan or restaurants in the big cities) but if you're looking for those inside Tokyo, it might be spendy. There's a few I could recommend, but they're also like $100 per person for the course and might be tough to reserve.