Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

4A was much better than 4, which lived and died by its big twists. Dagda is real. Strong. And my friend.

I can't think of a single thing IV did better than IVA. Apocalypse had better writing, gameplay, music....

I think it is only IVA's tone which puts people off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

I can't think of a single thing IV did better than IVA. Apocalypse had better writing, gameplay, music....

I think it is only IVA's tone which puts people off.

I would disagree on the writing because I genuinely don't think Apocalypse works without IV's setup. Most of what it does relies on you realizing where it is subverting SMTIV's endgame and characters and most of the new characters are kind of lame in their own ways. Also as much as I love Apocalypse's final battle it has easily the worst final dungeon in any modern SMT game and one of the worst final dungeons in the franchise as a whole and despite having a fuckin' rad final battle it only really shines if you're going into it from IV and if the previous dungeon doesn't suck all the air out of the room.

It also makes a game that was already really easy much easier since almost all the mechanical changes are in the player's favor, but that's true of most Atlus re-releases.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Dungeon Design is one of the places I'd put Final over IV. Even though I don't like YHVH'S domain because it made me motion sick I do appreciate it coming out swinging with a long rear end labyrinth rather than the highlights for kids maze we got at the end of IV. Apocalypse also has generally better gameplay, original designs, estoma, and guests.

Story wise Blasted and infernal Tokyo, Reverse Hills, the entire set up of the game as a pseudo-sequel blows away anything in Apoc. The sequel is constantly squandering interesting ideas like the divine powers and stepping on IV's toes by rewriting the characters poorly.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

Dungeon Design is one of the places I'd put Final over IV. Even though I don't like YHVH'S domain because it made me motion sick I do appreciate it coming out swinging with a long rear end labyrinth rather than the highlights for kids maze we got at the end of IV. Apocalypse also has generally better gameplay, original designs, estoma, and guests.

Story wise Blasted and infernal Tokyo, Reverse Hills, the entire set up of the game as a pseudo-sequel blows away anything in Apoc. The sequel is constantly squandering interesting ideas like the divine powers and stepping on IV's toes by rewriting the characters poorly.

I was mostly talking about how YHVH's dungeon also basically murders the plot momentum as much as anything. You get a really cool buildup and then a long-rear end dungeon where basically nothing happens until the end which drains a lot of the energy from what is otherwise a top tier final boss.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It does have Post Game content but mandatory vibes. Do you think it would've helped if you could only do it on NG+ like the Chrysler building so you've separated yourself from the games plot momentum and are now on your own pace?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

It does have Post Game content but mandatory vibes. Do you think it would've helped if you could only do it on NG+ like the Chrysler building so you've separated yourself from the games plot momentum and are now on your own pace?

Eh, I don't think so to be honest. It's really clearly what the game is leading up to. I think it is at the point of the game where a dungeon is effectively meaningless because you're going to be so built up and high leveled that you need like mass Metatron swarms to even get through Estoma. Not to mention not really being able to recruit new stuff.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I liked YHVH's dungeon actually lol. But i do have a sweet spot for teleport mazes

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I really liked 4A's final dungeon. You finally go into the Cosmic Egg which has been there all game and you traverse it with the great music and then can recruit all the demons because they're still just like demons and at the end you beat powered up Krishna who has been tormenting you the whole game and then it ends instead of going on for one more teleport dungeon where everyone there is so dedicated they can't be recruited

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
I will be buying SMT V again because that game rocks and I am a rube

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

I'll be playing it on Microsoft Gamepass.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Remove the awkward two-second pause after every action, make buffs work like in IV and add a rival character like Alex and I might bite.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

hughesta posted:

I will be buying SMT V again because that game rocks and I am a rube

I feel like price is gonna be a huge factor in whether I rebuy. I got all the blood out of that stone on Switch, so unless there's a real meaty expansion or a budget cost, I can sit it out

But I know drat well the cost is gonna be my tipping point.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I'd rebuy SMTV for like $30-$40 just for the performance boost, but not full price

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

YHVH's universe is not that bad by SMT standards. The map looks confusing and at first it is hard to navigate but 25% of the way in it becomes very linear and you can't really get lost anymore because you're either walking towards a switch that opens progress or towards the gate that the same switch locks. Tsukiji Konganji in the same game is a much worse teleport maze.

The real king of poo poo dungeon design mountain in this franchise (at least for games that came out this century) is Super Megaten Bros (Chiyoda) in SMTV. I spent 50 minutes just crossing a single room of the pre-nerfed version of that hellhole. Great game. Will never play it again.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

How's the Switch port of Nocturne? Saw that it's on a good deal (full version at 18~€ including all DLC when Base+Maniax costs more already), but was weighting how much annoying slowdowns the Switch version has and portability VS mod capabilities. Also never finished Nocturne, only played like up to Shibuya I think? But dropped it for emulation issues or getting tired of fusion refresh.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Deified Data posted:

I'd rebuy SMTV for like $30-$40 just for the performance boost, but not full price

the memories of me travelling around the New England area searching random rear end storefronts for obscure PS1 Atlus games are amusing in hindsight now that digital has long since been the standard and Atlus games are on sale near constantly

rn, Im waiting for Persona 3 to go on sale in a month or two, or whatever

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

How's the Switch port of Nocturne? Saw that it's on a good deal (full version at 18~€ including all DLC when Base+Maniax costs more already), but was weighting how much annoying slowdowns the Switch version has and portability VS mod capabilities. Also never finished Nocturne, only played like up to Shibuya I think? But dropped it for emulation issues or getting tired of fusion refresh.

It's fine? There are some hitches when casting some spells and performance was a little shaky, but its serviceable I think. It runs better portably than in docked mode, if I remember right.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Strangely enough the performance issues are more of a factor when docked. Either way it's not a huge deal since all it amounts to is that some animations during battle make the frame rate a lil choppy for a few seconds. It's dumb that it's a factor at all but it's easy to look past.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

I usually play handheld (my TV is a bit crappy and used a lot by other people) so running better on portable is a plus! I'll think about it then.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

There was later game dungeon where I experienced abnormally long loading on Switch, but only in that one dungeon. It was odd.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Checking out videos yeah, handheld actually seems to run those attacks fine. Honestly I feel like sometimes the issues come from docked resolution overtaking whatever little specs boost the Switch gets on the dock.

Honestly it's basically a choice of portability+get it now vs Mod the OST in + get it later.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

GimmickMan posted:

The real king of poo poo dungeon design mountain in this franchise (at least for games that came out this century) is Super Megaten Bros (Chiyoda) in SMTV. I spent 50 minutes just crossing a single room of the pre-nerfed version of that hellhole. Great game. Will never play it again.

Maybe its just me but I despise teleport puzzle dungeons so Soul Hackers 2 wins the Worst Dungeon(s) Award.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
SH2 does have some of the worst teleport mazes I've ever seen due to the combo of "identical gray void" and "dogshit map", bottom easy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I don't mind SH2's because they follow really easy to understand rules and due to the nature of the dogshit map you actually can see where each place goes together visually.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Teleport mazes rule

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

ImpAtom posted:

I don't mind SH2's because they follow really easy to understand rules and due to the nature of the dogshit map you actually can see where each place goes together visually.

This was not my case on the final floor or two of the character dungeons, but by that point I was also just slogging through with the lone map out there anyway.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Ended up getting it, now the question is if to go with Raidou or Mr Featuring Dante From the DMC series :v: Also was planning on going on Hard from the start (since fusion inheritance probably breaks the game open) but do a normal ending first and then go do a NG+ for the extra content and get TDE. Also switching from Hard to Normal when shopping cause gently caress that price hike.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

hatty posted:

Teleport mazes rule

:stare:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The only teleport maze I like is Etrian Odyssey 5 stratum 6.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
IVA'S Cosmic Egg is of the easiest teleport dungeons in the series and I'm not sure why it gets so much hate

The only thing I can think of it somehow fucks with people the same way the 3d stuff in V did, but in terms of dungeon gimmicks it's nowhere near bad by SMT standards

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

hatty posted:

Teleport mazes rule

I refuse to believe you mean this.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

hatty posted:

Teleport mazes rule

Atlus employee spotted

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
They can be good sometimes.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

hatty posted:

Teleport mazes rule

Agreed

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Huh, investigating about the III OST led me to a comment mentioning that the Amala Battle theme is not compressed in-game compared to the other battle themes, and it does sound like that, which implies Meguro compressed the music on purposed and that's why it's not the OST versions in-game. Interesting.

Also is it OK to run a Magic Demifiend if not going for TDE the first runthrough? I know physical is better and IIRC magic has a weird thing where higher level weakens it unlike physical, but it's to give more variety to each playthrough.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

So SMTV-V seems like it's a Maniax style expansion rather than a whole new game like Apoc was. Kind of a shame.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Huh, investigating about the III OST led me to a comment mentioning that the Amala Battle theme is not compressed in-game compared to the other battle themes, and it does sound like that, which implies Meguro compressed the music on purposed and that's why it's not the OST versions in-game. Interesting.

Also is it OK to run a Magic Demifiend if not going for TDE the first runthrough? I know physical is better and IIRC magic has a weird thing where higher level weakens it unlike physical, but it's to give more variety to each playthrough.

I got TDE with a Magic Demifiend - anything is possible.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

In Training posted:

I got TDE with a Magic Demifiend - anything is possible.

Cool, I'll do that then, one quick playthrough on a normal ending and then NG+ for TDE since you get the extra press turn.

Also Atlus uploaded the V Vengeance trailer and confirmed multiplatform release, so we might have a version of 5 that runs well (also lol that there's not only the mysterious new female character but also 4 new female villains lol)

Edit: Looking at the trailer, some new additions seem to be Sorta-Fusion Spells (Cu and Schatach are shown doing a combo Wind spell) and scenes with Nahobino talking to Aogami.

GiantRockFromSpace fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Feb 21, 2024

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Honestly if there was anything to really flesh out in SMTVen it would be the 'normal' world. You get the school dungeon and that's basically it.

whats is there to flesh out, its not real and the people there are literal npcs who disappear. thats the point

ImpAtom posted:

I was mostly talking about how YHVH's dungeon also basically murders the plot momentum as much as anything. You get a really cool buildup and then a long-rear end dungeon where basically nothing happens until the end which drains a lot of the energy from what is otherwise a top tier final boss.

this makes 4a sound insanely epic actually lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

GimmickMan posted:

that dungeon was very easy even at launch. they shouldnt have nerfged it + also the rerelease should make the last dungeon 10x longer and more annoying than it,.