Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

JonBolds posted:

Relatively peaceful extragalactic psychic alien colonists with hyper-advanced technology and electrical skin. Due to their tech being more advanced than Super Earth it was decided they must have planet-destroying WMDs and so Super Earth invaded them. Obviously they did not have WMDs and the Super Earth corporations just wanted to loot their tech to make stuff like our shield domes and the arc projector.

Lots of jokes like "wow we liberated this planet just in time before they could deploy the WMDs!"

e: you had to dodge lots of bullets and light wall shields and stuff while avoiding incoming enemy melee. they had a particularly hated/hellish psychic power guy that reversed your controls.

I am not looking forward to the return of that loving wall ball

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
When are they going to fix the god drat armour lol. I want to wear my heavy gear and get ragdolled around while laughing it off.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
I took generally the same weapons on bugs/cyborgs but had to take different ones against the aliens and I like them for that

Against bugs and cyborgs I had the Paragon, an accurate rifle that pissed out poison bullets and used tons of ammo. And a poison mortar secondary. Against the aliens I had machine guns and stuff

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Managed to get on and did some chill hazard 3 solo bug missions, so one of the bug planets is now 0.0005% more liberated than before thanks to me. Not everything has to be an action movie: sometimes Managed Democracy just needs some jobber to jump behind enemy lines to restart the E-170 pumps.

Unlocked the Recoilless to add to my arsenal, some more armor via warbonds...then I logged off to give space to my fellow Helldivers.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I feel like I've been going too hard on this game. I've basically unlocked all the stratagems thanks to the 50% bonus plus playing on suicide.

Last night I logged in and I had this weird fear that I wouldn't enjoy the game as much or I'd overdone it. I went on to have some of the most fun I've had in a game since BF2/3 and L4D in uni. Most of my old crew has coalesced around the game now and we're having the best time. Feels like it's 2008 again.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

There's still bugs and robits and later psychics to shoot so the game still has legs. You just don't have the grind (or as much of) treadmill anymore. There's still gonna be warbonds.

The devs do need to figure out something with requisition eventually. The real grinds are samples and warbond medals (especially since they plan to release regular warbond packs)

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It’s also (still?) bugged and doesn’t overheat so it just keeps shooting and cutting bug nonstop

It definitely overheats and recharges it just does it extremely quickly. I've seen it happen to the one on my back.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Is it just me or is this game kinda hard as balls? Like I comfortably play DRG on the highest difficulty, sometimes modded to be even higher, but even difficulty 3 missions here can get really punishing in a way that just feels exhausting.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Alkydere posted:

There's still bugs and robits and later psychics to shoot so the game still has legs. You just don't have the grind (or as much of) treadmill anymore. There's still gonna be warbonds.

The devs do need to figure out something with requisition eventually. The real grinds are samples and warbond medals (especially since they plan to release regular warbond packs)

I've got no worries. I'm having a ball. The strong sense of playing L4D way back, where there was no progression, is what set in last night. Just non stop emergent hilarity and sweaty moments.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Made this while staring at the "Server's full" screen

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I think people are focusing on the bugs more because they're pushed further in, we have the robots back to basically one system already. Bugs are more of a threat even though the robots are harder to deal with.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Triarii posted:

Is it just me or is this game kinda hard as balls? Like I comfortably play DRG on the highest difficulty, sometimes modded to be even higher, but even difficulty 3 missions here can get really punishing in a way that just feels exhausting.

Use the map to see nearby patrols and don’t shoot them if you don’t have to. they don’t see very far and many of them can be given the slip, especially if you know they’re moving to investigate gunfire at some particular spot. if you aren’t fighting over an objective you need to be at, disengage instead of staying in one place fighting waves forever. A whole lot of combat is avoidable.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Owl Inspector posted:

Use the map to see nearby patrols and don’t shoot them if you don’t have to. they don’t see very far and many of them can be given the slip, especially if you know they’re moving to investigate gunfire at some particular spot. if you aren’t fighting over an objective you need to be at, disengage instead of staying in one place fighting waves forever. A whole lot of combat is avoidable.

Another way to deal with this if the poo poo hits the fan is leave someone to rear guard (gloriously) and drop all your poo poo on top of them before running like hell.

One helldiver can hold up a massive swarm by doing the old "over here you big ugly bastards" and running in a direction that is not towards the team/objective.

Your helldivers are expendable, democracy is not.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

You can also distract patrols with grenades if you throw far enough past them and don't cause enough of a rucus getting away to draw their attention back to you.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Perestroika posted:

Has anybody found a real niche for heat damage yet? I want to like the laser weapons, but goddamn so far they just seem plain inferior to just about any other option in the respective slot, theoretically infinite ammo really isn't that much of an advantage in practice.

I find that the "unlimited" ammo and very easy aiming (it is one big laser sight after all) makes it work well against most bots, especially hip firing. Bots have very sensitive weak spots and being able to just drag a laser along at head level is pretty nice. You can also "mag dump" into the walkers from the front because even if 1/50 of the laser hits the forehead of the bot it still goes down; it works really well on the super armored ones with the tiny head in the middle of the plate, I just wiggle the laser a bit and they go down. The biggest issue imo is with the chainsaw arm assholes that have more HP and less sensitive spots.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Sounds like it's about time to break out the old "move around and chat a random word or two every few minutes" AHK script. Have been just logging in at the end of lunch and leaving it tabbed out so I can actually play the drat game after work, but if their short-term bandaid is autokick instead of spinning up more/better servers, everything is fair game.

Perestroika posted:

Has anybody found a real niche for heat damage yet? I want to like the laser weapons, but goddamn so far they just seem plain inferior to just about any other option in the respective slot, theoretically infinite ammo really isn't that much of an advantage in practice.
I am generally happy to have the laser drone and scythe on missions that double the calldown timer, scramble calldowns, or block calldowns altogether. In the last case I think it may have been a secondary objective structure, but regardless it was a pain in the rear end to get resupplied which meant no ammo use = good even i hte damage output was lower.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I like the idea of the game requiring you to punch in an arrow code at some random terminal on the bridge or it kicks you.

Or make the timer be tied to actually launching a mission.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I genuinely hope that the auto-kick requires actually running missions instead of just wiggling your character around.

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch

Icedude posted:

I'm kinda disappointed they made the automatons actually evil with cages full of dead civvies and stuff. They could have made them "scary looking, but actually just want to be left alone", but nope they're nazi robots being even worse than your fascist humans.

At least the terminids are just dumb animals.

What was The Illuminate's deal in HD1?

I kinda like the tone of Helldivers being similar to early 40k. Goofy as hell despite the grimness

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Thumbtacks posted:

I think people are focusing on the bugs more because they're pushed further in, we have the robots back to basically one system already. Bugs are more of a threat even though the robots are harder to deal with.

people are focusing the bugs more because the Automotaton civilian rescue missions are a pain the rear end and more trouble than they're worth.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
I tried doing the twitch armour thing but it says there's no more drops for my region/platform combination. And it only told me after I left someone's stream running in a tab for an hour

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Bland posted:

people are focusing the bugs more because the Automotaton civilian rescue missions are a pain the rear end and more trouble than they're worth.

I want to have a talk with whoever designed those missions. The reinforcements become untenable to deal with TWO MINUTES INTO THE MISSION.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Anyone experiencing crazy low framerates? For a while I was getting a nice healthy 90+fps but after finally getting into the game today I am down to 10-15 fps and I have no idea why...

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Galaga Galaxian posted:

AFKers have been declared Unpatriotic.

https://x.com/Pilestedt/status/1759386313327841423?s=20

They should have the AFK timer be a lengthy "surface to orbit defense countermeasure" Stratagem Popup on the bridge. If you don't do it, you get logged out. Other people on the same planet get to watch another Super Destroyer out there explode.

"Every second we wait, another colonist dies! We must act quickly" roughly something the Democratic Officer says

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

PlasticAutomaton posted:

I want to have a talk with whoever designed those missions. The reinforcements become untenable to deal with TWO MINUTES INTO THE MISSION.

There being an optimal strategy? Sure that's fine.

But it's something I should be forced to rely on with Suicide+ difficulty.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

JBP posted:

I feel like I've been going too hard on this game. I've basically unlocked all the stratagems thanks to the 50% bonus plus playing on suicide.

Last night I logged in and I had this weird fear that I wouldn't enjoy the game as much or I'd overdone it. I went on to have some of the most fun I've had in a game since BF2/3 and L4D in uni. Most of my old crew has coalesced around the game now and we're having the best time. Feels like it's 2008 again.

I've been going way too hard, for sure, still have plenty to unlock, but if you ever need a change of pace:

playing duos on 5 difficulty with lovely weapons is far harder than duos on 7 difficulty with good weapons.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

DarkDobe posted:

PSA the stalker lair usually looks something like this:

Sometimes with webbing around/over it. It does NOT show as a red spot on the heat map. You have to see what direction the stalkers are coming from and hunt them down. Sometimes a mission will spawn more than one lair.

stalker lair look like goatse. got it.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Triarii posted:

I think a lot of it is still learning mob triggers and stuff like wiping scouts out asap so they can't call reinforcements, but some of it is definitely still just tuning where they don't have the spawns set quite right for some missions

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I was trying to convince myself I was just getting slower at gaming with the sometimes iffy feeling turn rates of chargers. But recently I have been having awkward darksouls 2 flashback as I try to sprint behind a hulk while my kabooms are on cooldown and it keeps turning as fast as I sprint (in medium armor, not slow heavy). Which sure drove home it isn't my imagination enemies get to move faster than justified when they feel like it.

"okay... okay... almost... I can shoot the vents with my uzi!" *pivots at 60 miles an hour as I slow down by shooting* Sure they didn't get to kill me because "As fast as I can sprint" means they couldn't quite nail me, so they looked even dumber and more useless than I was that moment. But yeesh.

At least when enemies no-clip their way up a rock or boulder it is more obvious they are taking shortcuts to annoy me :argh:

JBP posted:

When are they going to fix the god drat armour lol. I want to wear my heavy gear and get ragdolled around while laughing it off.

The explosive resistance perk seems to be helping there. Which is part of why one of my only costume shop buys so far has been the Medium suit with that perk (and the light armor with currently useless padding because "They will have fixed armor by tomorrow!" :downs:)

Either I am just lucky with confirmation bias, or that perk DOES help my ragdolls stay alive a lot more when the teammate next to me is annihilated.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Triarii posted:

Speaking as someone who also came in with DRG/*Tide-brain, if you go in with the goal of shooting everything that comes across your sightline you're gonna have a Bad Time. Past 3? or 4? the Big stuff will also start appearing more and in bigger groups - Chargers for bugs, and Hulks for bots. Chargers in particular can be extremely frustrating in groups if you havent learned how to deal with them yet.

Like others said, patrols will call in reinforcements if you dont kill them fast enough, and then bug breaches/bot drops will keep happening and things can snowball fast. You don't get XP for kills, so kill what you need so you can move on. Ideally you're doing some kind of circular motion around the map for the objectives, popping every nest/factory you come across if feasible but try to avoid patrols between them.

Once you get some more strats you can deal with light/medium outposts with a single strategem throw (Eagle Airstrike in particular is great for this early on) and start moving to the next objective before it even lands.

Highly, highly, recommend binding strategem inputs to anything other than WASD. Arrows or numpads work - you can't aim while inputting a strat anyway, and being able to call a reinforce or strike on the move is huge.

Edit: Except the Evac mission - those are legit balls hard/overtuned right now.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I like that this futuristic human civilization runs their advanced weaponry via konami codes.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

XP seems a bit skewed in the game. I can do a Trivial “Brood Commander” or “Illegal Broadcast” in about 3 minutes (record so far is 02:57) including the 2 min pickup time. For that I get circa 240 XP.

Or I could do a Challenging or above, take the better part of the 40 mins to do the multiple objectives, and get like 400 or so.

Only downside I can see - besides boredom - is that you don’t really get many medals. 1 as standard, maybe another if a POI is on the route.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Triarii posted:

Like others have said, picking fights with patrols can make the game hard, even on Easy. But a lot of the early game difficulty is down to your lack of strategems. Once you have multiple offensive strategems that can vaporize entire enemy platoons, things become more manageable.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Triarii posted:

HD has long had a reputation for being punishing and technical. Even middle tier difficulties can be an unrelenting uphill battle with weak weapons and strategems plus a few reinforcement failscades. Initially dropping right away into short range of a Stalker lair for example is always fun :suicide:

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

how the gently caress are ppl even getting into the game, let alone getting into the game consistently enough to unlock poo poo

over 2 hours of "gameplay" and all ive done is the tutorial, with the rest of my time staring at that drat login screen. I regret shutting the game down the one time ive gotten in cause ive yet to get back in, this sucks

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

I'll have to try rebinding the stratagem inputs, trying to dial those in is super obnoxious and gets me killed constantly.

Maybe I need to be more aware of patrols...when things get rough, it feels like enemies are just spawning and coming at me constantly from all directions without there being any decision of whether to engage, but maybe that's because I made earlier mistakes that let it snowball to that point.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I've never waited long on PS5, except for Fri night. True spoiled console gaming.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

how the gently caress are ppl even getting into the game, let alone getting into the game consistently enough to unlock poo poo

over 2 hours of "gameplay" and all ive done is the tutorial, with the rest of my time staring at that drat login screen. I regret shutting the game down the one time ive gotten in cause ive yet to get back in, this sucks

*laughs in down unda*

E: once they start AFK kicking all the overnighters the Australian experience is going to be perfect lmao

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Also I find it extremely rude when an enemy can casually boop you for 70% of your health with a hitscan ranged attack, on difficulty 3 out of 9. What on earth is the highest difficulty like, is everything just an instant kill?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
I played a lot last week but yea the weekend player surge has meant I've made it in exactly once in the last 3 days. I was busy so no worries and during the week I can just rely on the east coasters to go to sleep to get on but def looking forward to the next patch to alleviate this somewhat.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I've never waited long on PS5, except for Fri night. True spoiled console gaming.

drat I've had a lot of trouble getting in on PS5, just the past 3 days though.