Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Rufio posted:

Made it through half of Cars with my 3.5 year old until he started crying for me to put on a flag video instead. That's a win for me. We've only ever made it through Mary Poppins and Encanto, and that was a good year ago.

One day when he was a little over 2 something clicked in his brain that anything with a story was scary I guess. Suddenly stuff we used to always read or watch was cause for meltdowns.

I like that he enjoys learning videos and I can tell he actually takes something away from them a lot of the time, but he needs to learn a little resilience with conflict in stories. I like that he's a sweet and sensitive little dude but sometimes it's a little extreme.

What is a flag video

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Crescent Wrench posted:

Glad she had fun. Actually, I've had the topic of sleepovers on my mental list for a couple months now. Sleepover age is pretty far off, but the topic came up and my wife was ADAMANTLY against it. Like, virulently opposed. It seemed to be a combination of cultural factors and growing up in the city, but it completely caught me off guard and was almost unimaginable to me. Sleepovers are some of my favorite childhood memories! It's fun for kids, it's social, and it helps build comfort being away from mom and dad just for a night. Are there people here who are against sleepovers or know people who are?

My kid is nowhere near ready for sleepovers, but I have fond memories of them from when I was a kid and plan to allow it when my son comes of age. There’s definitely a group of moms on the internet that are against sleepovers in any form though. Mostly paranoia from what I could tell but some legitimate concerns too, about whether there might be a gun in the house.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

What is a flag video

He loves maps and flags and so we found there are lots of songs, quizzes, and videos on YouTube that involve them. They are mostly fine. The only ones I don't like are ones that change and combine flags and give them a silly name. He knows so many of them but still I don't want him to get confused.

His knowledge is pretty impressive. He can identify all the US States and prolly 50+ countries and their flags. But I am getting a little tired of him only wanting to draw flags lol

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Rufio posted:

But I am getting a little tired of him only wanting to draw flags lol

I can see how that would be vexing.

Are you saying he can identify all the state flags? All the seals on blue backgrounds? Because 1.) gently caress that, and 2.) how

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Re: sleepovers. Our daughter went to one for a close friend's 7th birthday. We ended up having to get her at 1AM because she wet the bed. Chalk it up to way too much to drink and not using the bathroom. In retrospect, it was probably too young, but she had a blast regardless.

On a side note, that friend is a double doctor family, so they hired a company to do a bespoke sleepover party for 12 girls. It was fancy as hell.

Edit: updated some details because my wife corrected me.

Good-Natured Filth fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Feb 18, 2024

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Crescent Wrench posted:

Glad she had fun. Actually, I've had the topic of sleepovers on my mental list for a couple months now. Sleepover age is pretty far off, but the topic came up and my wife was ADAMANTLY against it. Like, virulently opposed. It seemed to be a combination of cultural factors and growing up in the city, but it completely caught me off guard and was almost unimaginable to me. Sleepovers are some of my favorite childhood memories! It's fun for kids, it's social, and it helps build comfort being away from mom and dad just for a night. Are there people here who are against sleepovers or know people who are?

I know people who are strongly against them due to perceived danger of abuse (from adults or transmitted from other kids).

Brawnfire posted:

Vexillologizing?

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Good-Natured Filth posted:

On a side note, that friend is a double doctor family, so they hired a company to do a bespoke sleepover party for 12 girls. It was fancy as hell.

One of our daughter’s friends a street over is an only child and her parents did that last year, it’s ridiculous.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!

Brawnfire posted:

Are you saying he can identify all the state flags? All the seals on blue backgrounds? Because 1.) gently caress that, and 2.) how

No he's much better at the country flags. So many of the US State flags really suck and even a three year old can recognize that. He only knows our flag and some of the good ones like Maryland, New Mexico, Texas, Arizona, etc. The States he can identify by shape and location.

It's something about the shape that really sticks with him. I can show him the shapes of states out of context and he can usually ID them. When he eats slices of cheese, he'll break it apart into country and state shapes. I mean sometimes it's total nonsense but other times I can really see where he's coming from.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Muir posted:

Vexillologizing?

:tipshat:

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

meanolmrcloud posted:

Me, oafishly: I’ll bet this will be the time I can feed my 11mo yogurt without it being a catastrophic mess.

Maybe next time.

My boy went through a phase where he was grabbing the spoon and smearing it all over himself and not relinquishing it. But now he’s back to patiently eating spoonfuls, possibly because he figured out he gets way more yum yums when he lets us feed him.

Not sure when we’ll try to get him to spoon feed himself. He eats solid solids really well, but anything liquid would never get in his mouth without our help.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish

Chernobyl Princess posted:

On the subject of kids tv: the YouTube channel Little Bear Official has all the Little Bear cartoons with almost no commercials and no random links to other channels. Strongly recommend.

Little bear owns. I downloaded those a while back and put them on the Plex server. I think that show is actually giving my daughter an appreciation for classical music, lol.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Eeyo posted:

My boy went through a phase where he was grabbing the spoon and smearing it all over himself and not relinquishing it. But now he’s back to patiently eating spoonfuls, possibly because he figured out he gets way more yum yums when he lets us feed him.

Not sure when we’ll try to get him to spoon feed himself. He eats solid solids really well, but anything liquid would never get in his mouth without our help.

all liquid is a game to be played with. solids are a sometimes game that can go in hair or under armpits

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

meanolmrcloud posted:

Me, oafishly: I’ll bet this will be the time I can feed my 11mo yogurt without it being a catastrophic mess.

Maybe next time.

My 10mo eats plain yogurt (usually mixed with rice or chopped fruits or almond butter) pretty much daily and has done so for months... the trick is to just accept that his face, hands, any clothes not covered by the bib, the high chair, the floor around the high chair, and sometimes the wall nearby will be covered with yogurt.

My favorite thing to feed him is beets, though, because when he's done he looks like he's just ripped out somebody's jugular with his teeth. Absolutely gruesome.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
Everything is a finger food/skin & hair care product. Fruit? Yep. Cheerios? Of course! Oatmeal? drat straight. Literal broth? You bet your rear end it is.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Thankfully we’re well past that stage, but one of the twins just walks around the kitchen/dining area when he eats snacks. He’s getting lots of practice with the handheld vacuum.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

My 3 year old daughter is at the 'loudly commenting on people as they walk past us on the street with no filter' stage.
"Look that that man, he has a silly face!" "Look at that big person!"

It is hilarious and mortifying.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

reality_groove posted:

My 3 year old daughter is at the 'loudly commenting on people as they walk past us on the street with no filter' stage.
"Look that that man, he has a silly face!" "Look at that big person!"

It is hilarious and mortifying.

“That lady. Obviously, she doesn’t have a penis.”

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Jesus CHRIST.

My wife had both kids upstairs so I took the opportunity to clean and organize the CLUSTERFUCK our first floor has become during this February break *checks watch* that just started.

She comes back down, the living room and dining room and kitchen are SPARKLING

She tells me my daughter took every piece of clothing out of her drawers and closet, and put them on the floor.

To "organize" them.

They're still all there :negative:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
We'll be doing a short plane trip (just under 2 hour flight, nonstop) in a few months with little KG3 who will be four and a half months old at the time. We are visiting the inlaws.

My wife is somewhat concerned about having him in arms. I'm not too worried about it, but she would prefer for him to be in his infant car seat in the plane. I think this is theoretically possible according to the airline (Delta) - obviously we have to get another seat for him if we want to do that - but has anyone done it? I am a frequent flier and I can't recall ever seeing this done. Any experience with this? We need to bring the car seat anyway so it's not going to be that much more difficult, but I imagine he will need to be held to be soothed / fed etc anyway.

Beyond that, please give me your best 3-6 mo old air travel tips!

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Yes, we started flying with our kiddo when he was 9 months old and we always bought him his own seat and brought his car seat in the plane until he moved into a booster seat in the car (and booster seats are not allowed on airplanes).

It was great. Definitely more safe for everyone especially if you hit turbulence or something in the air with the baby, he is used to sleeping in his car seat so he slept great in there during the flight, and I can't imagine having to hold a baby the whole time on a flight. I'd want my arms free at times.

Rasputin on the Ritz
Jun 24, 2010
Come let's mix where Rockefellers
walk with sticks or um-ber-ellas
in their mitts
Do they have car seats designed for airplane seats? Because I can't imagine getting our carseat into an airplane seat just based on the available space. I'm also not sure how the hookups would work to secure it.

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi
We've got a flight coming up with the kiddos and are planning to have the younger in our lap in a front facing Ergo360 carrier. Snug enough to keep him secure if there's turbulence, but loose enough to wiggle around a bit, have snacks, and watch cartoons on the iPad.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Rasputin on the Ritz posted:

Do they have car seats designed for airplane seats? Because I can't imagine getting our carseat into an airplane seat just based on the available space. I'm also not sure how the hookups would work to secure it.

All car seats can also be hooked into a car using just a seatbelt, not the latch hookups and you can use the same seatbelt path on the car seat you'd use in a car on the plane.

We took various car seats on planes from 9 months to about 4 or 5 years old and we never had a problem with them fitting. And we were flying economy. Most car seats are FAA approved for use on a plane.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Rasputin on the Ritz posted:

I bought a cheapo $60 car seat for the plane, you’re looking for something light and narrow. Don’t lug your 20lb seat with baseplate onto the plane. I think I got the Cosco Next from Walmart but obviously choose a size that works for the weight/age of your kid.

You use the plane seatbelt the same way you would use the car seatbelt to secure.

We’ve done it both ways, car seat and lap infant. Two hours is short enough that with a 4 month old I would probably just hold them. The car seat became a lot more useful when the kid was squirmier.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Brawnfire posted:

Jesus CHRIST.

My wife had both kids upstairs so I took the opportunity to clean and organize the CLUSTERFUCK our first floor has become during this February break *checks watch* that just started.

She comes back down, the living room and dining room and kitchen are SPARKLING

She tells me my daughter took every piece of clothing out of her drawers and closet, and put them on the floor.

To "organize" them.

They're still all there :negative:

Oh that's the two year old's favorite hobby if she's in her room, at least with the drawers. She can't reach the closet stuff and hasn't tried climbing to get it (yet). It was a little freeing when I gave up trying to keep the dresser organized other than the pajama and sock drawers.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

I used to have great luck NOT buying a seat but showing up with the car seat and getting granted one for free at the gate. YMMV but we usually had priority for it so long as the flight wasn’t 100% full. This was pre-Covid tho.

That said 2 hours with an infant in arms isn’t very long at all, especially if you bring like a wearable baby carrier.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

truavatar posted:

We've got a flight coming up with the kiddos and are planning to have the younger in our lap in a front facing Ergo360 carrier. Snug enough to keep him secure if there's turbulence, but loose enough to wiggle around a bit, have snacks, and watch cartoons on the iPad.

FYI you can't wear the baby in a carrier when on a plane. We tried that once and the flight attendant wouldn't let us do it. Apparently during take off and landing it can compress the baby so they can't breath.

We've flown on 2ish hour trips and on long 18 hour international flights with our almost 3 year old. Her first trip I think she was like 10 months old and she was a lap baby. The lap baby thing wasn't great, but for a 2 hour flight it was tolerable and made it easier to sit together and also great not having to pay for an extra seat on the plane.

The 18 hour flight they were in a car seat on the chair the whole time, and was totally worth it for that flight. Could not imagine having the kid in one of our laps for a flight that long.

We're flying with 2 kids next month, basically a 3 year old and a 1 year old. The 1 year old is going to be a lap baby, the 3 year old has to have her own seat. Its certainly more comfortable for the parents to have the kids in their own seat, but not only does doing the lap baby thing save us like $400 it also means less carseats to have to deal with at the airport.

Make sure you ask the flight attendant at check in to board early. They always let us on the plane before anyone else when we fly with kids so we can get them situated and everything without a bunch of other people trying to get on the plane and get to their seats around you.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

We'll be doing a short plane trip (just under 2 hour flight, nonstop) in a few months with little KG3 who will be four and a half months old at the time. We are visiting the inlaws.

My wife is somewhat concerned about having him in arms. I'm not too worried about it, but she would prefer for him to be in his infant car seat in the plane. I think this is theoretically possible according to the airline (Delta) - obviously we have to get another seat for him if we want to do that - but has anyone done it? I am a frequent flier and I can't recall ever seeing this done. Any experience with this? We need to bring the car seat anyway so it's not going to be that much more difficult, but I imagine he will need to be held to be soothed / fed etc anyway.

We've taken ours on 3 trips, all between 2 and 2.5 hours long, at 4 months, 8 months, and 9 months. Lap child every time. He did good, although he was wiggly. We flew Southwest on all of them, which I do recommend for families: you get to board after the A group gets on, meaning you *will* be able to find seats together. Also, the 2 free checked bags are a godsend when you're trying to haul a travel crib and your clothes and baby clothes and what-not for a week+ trip. On 5 out of 6 flights, we sat with mom at the window and me on the aisle, and even though the flights were almost 100% full, we ended up with the seat between us empty. This was a huge help, because it gave whoever was holding the baby a little more elbow room to maneuver.

He liked to play with the window blind but he especially loved standing on my lap looking back at all the faces behind us.

Silent Linguist
Jun 10, 2009

Cosco Scenera Next was our go-to airplane car seat as well. It’s so light I can carry it with two fingers while pushing the stroller. Nice to be able to have something to install in my parents’ car when we land instead of making them buy a car seat.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Thanks, all. Probably won't buy a second car seat since space at home is at more of a premium than weight Dad has to lug around, but you've all given me quite a bit to think about. Sounds like putting him in a seat is perfectly normal and reasonable, we just have to decide whether it's worth the expense.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Thanks, all. Probably won't buy a second car seat since space at home is at more of a premium than weight Dad has to lug around, but you've all given me quite a bit to think about. Sounds like putting him in a seat is perfectly normal and reasonable, we just have to decide whether it's worth the expense.

One other thing that came up for us- two Business Class seats was cheaper than three Economy seats. It’s basically the same amount of room so if you’re going with the arms/lap approach then I recommend that. Obviously that doesn’t apply to every flight but something to consider.

I think the 1-2 year mark was where the extra plane seat car seat was a lot more necessary for flights because that’s a pretty big baby/toddler to squeeze into your lap the whole time. Getting them to stay in the car seat the whole time is also an ordeal.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

To be fair the cost is largely academic since I fly... a lot. Whatever we do for travel is not using real money, which makes this a bit of an easier decision to buy the seat and try it out.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Yeah you can’t wear them for takeoff and landing but you can wear them literally any other time.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

cailleask posted:

Yeah you can’t wear them for takeoff and landing but you can wear them literally any other time.

This probably depends on the flight attendant. Ours wouldn't let us use the carrier at any time.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

We flew California to Miami at 5 months and then California to NYC at... 9 months? We fly about once a month with our kid since 10 months and we've had the privilege of affording buying a separate seat for her each time. It's totally worth it if you can afford it

1) you can bring the (FAA approved) car seat and the kid will recognize this as "travel/sleep" time and conk out on the plane
2) you get an entire row to yourself, which with the baby bottles, stuffed animals, blankets and all the weird stuff you'll inevitably over pack is really nice for the extra under seat storage etc etc
3) you don't have to elbow with a stranger on the plane for X time while holding your infant

A++ will always buy the extra seat if possible

Tips;

Make sure the baby is awake and goes on the plane awake so that they fall asleep shortly after take off. This planning/timing should be a top priority because it's easy to gently caress up

Make sure your car seat explicitly says "FAA approved" and know where it says that because occasionally (it's happened to us three times now) check particularly when boarding

The Mesa car seat is FAA approved but it's huge and in economy won't let the guy in front of you recline. On American it actually pushes the seat forward slightly. Make sure you have a game plan for when this issue causes a problem. Mine was to tell the guy the car seat is FAA approved for use on the plane and ask them to summon an attendant if it was an issue and then politely not engage unless the attendant addresses you. In both cases the guy (it's always a guy) was able to switch seats elsewhere on the plane

The first flight is stressful but after that it's pretty easy if you come up with a system and stick to it

Final tip: TSA either doesn't have, or doesn't enforce stroller/baby/Mom with baby rules consistently so don't expect the same scenario twice. There's no way to streamline the process it's always a clusterfuck. I've pushed the kid through the metal detector with the baby still strapped in, other times they inspect the stroller independently, and other other times it goes through the X-ray like luggage :iiam:

Edit: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07SRVB6T6

This is our "travel stroller" it's Perfectly Adequate and when I bought it, it only cost $49 so I don't care if it gets lost or mangled in transit, or left at the gate/in a taxi. It's just small enough that it'll fit in the trunk of the smallest microcar taxi in Colombia, so it'll probably fit in any other taxi trunk too

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Feb 20, 2024

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

you can also check with the airline, some of them have bulkhead bassinets that can be attached and you can put the baby in assuming they are still small enough

i know this wasn't your original question but i am sort of raising awareness that this is an option, we've used it and liked it a lot

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

From what I understand those are not impossible to arrange on intercontinental flights. My SIL apparently has used them in the past with good results

That's the first photo I've ever seen of one though

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

No school for the holiday. The kids played great together all day. Legos, hide and seek, "safe" wrestling, etc. After dinner, 5yo son asks our 8yo daughter, "what do you wanna play before bed?" Daughter replies that she just wants to draw by herself. Perfectly acceptable response in any sane person's opinion.

My son, who is a ball of pure raging emotion, takes this as a personal affront that insults his entire being. He throws the biggest tantrum I've seen from him in a long time about how his sister never plays with him. Like, my dude, you've been bound at the hips literally all day. Let her have some personal time.

And now I'm the bad guy because I didn't make her play with him.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

aaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

children

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Parenting: